Bumblefoot the musician ..

LA_0013

Surely, you're kidding.

Can you honestly say - without laughing out loud - that Buckethead - the guy with the yellow raincoat, Jason mask and bucket on his head that would hand out plastic toys at a rock show - "fits" in more than Ron? :monkey:

Bucket is a great guitarist - no doubt about it. But he never "fit" with GNR at all. He had no chemistry with the other band members at all onstage - and gave off a "circus" or "cartoon-like" vibe when he was onstage.

...but bucket was amazing. He´s not your (...) that just want PROBS for a so called "good job".

That´s what pisses me off.

"sorry"

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[nIf Axl keeps up the trainwreck appeal VR will be laughing all the way to the bank ....there are no stars other then Axl in the new band....

yeah prolly this bumble guy i mean he´s like a typical american:

he´s got a JOB

and we gotta (we´re supposed to) give him PROBS.

He looks so silly with his "new" hair. It´s like: "Why `d ya get this done, bumble!?"

(He´d go like):" for my job. I´m a hired gun doin´ my JOB (Had a hard time livin´ off of food stamps). At least you gotta give me PROBS for my shredding, tapping whatsoever. I got a JOB. You don´t. You gotta give me PROBS (I did some ass kiss towards the fans though still i didn´t give em no valueable information concerning the release of CD, i´m a hired gun, give me PROBS"

that´s what bumble would prolly sound like.

"sorry" (remember!BAZ!said ´this is anoher CD song...)

Surely, you're kidding.

Can you honestly say - without laughing out loud - that Buckethead - the guy with the yellow raincoat, Jason mask and bucket on his head that would hand out plastic toys at a rock show - "fits" in more than Ron? :monkey:

Bucket is a great guitarist - no doubt about it. But he never "fit" with GNR at all. He had no chemistry with the other band members at all onstage - and gave off a "circus" or "cartoon-like" vibe when he was onstage.

...but bucket was amazing. He´s not your (...) that just want PROBS for a so called "good job".

That´s what pisses me off.

"sorry"

Sorry, but I have trouble understanding your posts. Please - learn how to use the "quote" button AND spell out your words in full using real words and sentences. It will make it much easier for everybody to understand. I had the same trouble with your last post too.

I've inserted the "quote" codes in your post in my response - but I still can't understand your reply.

How do you come to the conclusion that Ron is a better guitarist than Buckethead?

I absolutely love Ron, he fits GN'R 100x better than Buckethead did, I own all of his solo stuff and I've had the pleasure of meeting him - however there's no doubt in my mind that Buckethead is the superior player of the two. Ron has amazing technical ability, but just comparing their Nightrain solos alone shouts to me that Buckethead can play much better. He doesn't lose himself in the shredding half the time like Ron does. Don't get me wrong - I don't see Ron as a sloppy player, I love his sound, but Buckethead keeps the melody much better.

Kinda hard to compare their solo work since Ron goes for more of a rock sound whereas Bucket goes for the instrumental/progressive sound.

The complexity of Bucket's records again scream out to me that he's a much better player, though.

How do you come to the conclusion that Ron is a better guitarist than Buckethead?

I absolutely love Ron, he fits GN'R 100x better than Buckethead did, I own all of his solo stuff and I've had the pleasure of meeting him - however there's no doubt in my mind that Buckethead is the superior player of the two. Ron has amazing technical ability, but just comparing their Nightrain solos alone shouts to me that Buckethead can play much better. He doesn't lose himself in the shredding half the time like Ron does. Don't get me wrong - I don't see Ron as a sloppy player, I love his sound, but Buckethead keeps the melody much better.

Kinda hard to compare their solo work since Ron goes for more of a rock sound whereas Bucket goes for the instrumental/progressive sound.

The complexity of Bucket's records again scream out to me that he's a much better player, though.

Even if Bucket is clearly the better composer, in strictly technical terms, Ron Thal is better (and faster) at more styles than Buckethead. There's no question who can write better solos, for example, but if you were to put them back to back and compare them on technical terms, Ron would come out on top. I would explain further, but quadlaser would do a better job, PM him for all the technical guitar stuff.

All I know is that Ron Thal is a better guitarist than Buckethead, and Bumblefoot have put out some great, great music, some to rival even GN'R.

you have got to be kidding.

bumblefoot has got to be the most boring, generic, tasteless band i've ever heard.

if my one of my best friends was in that band, i would stll refuse to watch them...

All I know is that Ron Thal is a better guitarist than Buckethead, and Bumblefoot have put out some great, great music, some to rival even GN'R.

bumblefoot has got to be the most boring, generic, tasteless band i've ever heard.

if my one of my best friends was in that band, i would stll refuse to watch them...

Generic? Generic?

Did I actually read that right?

A band that has run the gamut from fusion jazz to emo? Generic? A band that has actually even blended blues, fusion jazz, hard rock, and punk is generic?

You could say boring (opinion), or tasteless (part of the appeal), but since you said generic... :rofl-lol:

I agree 100% ...no one can fill Slashs boots but Bucket could fill them in a different way, not only in ability but in presence....he was a genius move by Axl. BBF was most likely the cantidate because his style of playing is somewhat similar to Bucket and would be able to pull off the parts....he just doesn't fit at all in vibe thou....guy is an amazing player of course but just the wrong puzzle piece ...

Surely, you're kidding.

By contrast, Ron has great stage presence, a real rock vibe, and great chemistry with the other band members onstage. Each member feeds off the other - which is critical if individual musicians are to gel to become a "band." I think Ron is a great addition to the "puzzle." As I mentioned in an earlier post: He has the musical skills for the job and offers a great PR connection between the band and fans.

couldnt agree more, while bucket is a kickass guitar player, he's probably the gayest thing ive ever seen. thal pretty much is the coolest guy on the planet and is as awsum if not better than any guitar player in guns n roses

I agree 100% ...no one can fill Slashs boots but Bucket could fill them in a different way, not only in ability but in presence....he was a genius move by Axl. BBF was most likely the cantidate because his style of playing is somewhat similar to Bucket and would be able to pull off the parts....he just doesn't fit at all in vibe thou....guy is an amazing player of course but just the wrong puzzle piece ...

Surely, you're kidding.

By contrast, Ron has great stage presence, a real rock vibe, and great chemistry with the other band members onstage. Each member feeds off the other - which is critical if individual musicians are to gel to become a "band." I think Ron is a great addition to the "puzzle." As I mentioned in an earlier post: He has the musical skills for the job and offers a great PR connection between the band and fans.

Yawn......

Record....Broken.

Yes.

Generic? Generic?

A band that has run the gamut from fusion jazz to emo? Generic? A band that has actually even blended blues, fusion jazz, hard rock, and punk is generic?

You could say boring (opinion), or tasteless (part of the appeal), but since you said generic... :rofl-lol:

dig:

they play generic fusion jazz

generic emo

generic "blues"

generic hard rock

generic "punk"

they only skim the surface of those styles, don't make them their own, and have no imprint:

jack of all trades, master of none.

it's better to be reeeally badass and unique with 1 style of music than it is to be really horribly mediocre at 7.

it's kinda like bbf's amp: the line 6 digital shit-stack whrein every amp sound is a button away.

now, there might be a setting on that amp that says "twin reverb" and another setting that says "AC30".

the twin reverb setting might kinda sound like a twin, and the AC30 setting might sound more like an AC30 than the twin setting.

however, if you compared the "AC30" setting with a real AC30, you'd rather just play the fucking real thing. see, the real AC30 is only good at being an AC30. it does not know how to be anything else......the line 6 dial-an-amp is a cheap imitation of a ton of classic sounds, but is not able to accurately replicate one of them. why? cause it's too busy worrying about how many fucking dials it has than actually being a good amp.

i think you can buy them at wal-mart now.........

Ron's the only reason I'm into this band. I woulddnt give a flying rats ass otherwise. I used to listen to GNR back in the Illusions era when I was 12 and I lost track for over 10 years. Ofcourse during that time I got into virtuoso guitar playing and I first heard Ron on Guitar heroes compilation with Chopin Fantasy etude. I remember being very impressed at how unique and different his playing was. He is the last really original guitar player the world has seen and its always uniqueness that I look for in guitar players and boy is he unique. I tried picking up Chopin Fantasy on guitar and its one of the most difficlut and at the same time beautiful pieces ever. One of the sickest pieces on guitar.

When I heard the new GNR guitar player was Ron Thal I was like WTF thats insane and probably the coolest thing ever. He totally deserved it. I was really happy for him because as a fan of virtuoso guitar players I've often been angry and frustated at peoples lack of appreciation and knowledge about these amazing musicians. These guys are the equivilent of Bach and Mozart on guitar and so few people gave them their dues. I don't care whether people don't like Ron or can't appreciate his playing because it is for a niche audience. A lot of what he plays is like appreciating and understanding theoretical physics, boring and difficult to understand for the average person or even the average musician. So I'm not surprised at all at peoples dislike about his playing etc.

Whether he fits in GNR or not is a personal opinion. To me I couldn't be happier and its a way to stick it to the man who for the last 12 years has put out crap and oppressed good bands and good musicians. So more power to Ron and I hope not only does he have the time of his life, gets mass media exposure and the opportunity also provides him with lots and lots of riches.

Generic? Generic?

dig:

generic emo

generic "blues"

generic hard rock

generic "punk"

they only skim the surface of those styles, don't make them their own, and have no imprint:

it's better to be reeeally badass and unique with 1 style of music than it is to be really horribly mediocre at 7.

it's kinda like bbf's amp: the line 6 digital shit-stack whrein every amp sound is a button away.

now, there might be a setting on that amp that says "twin reverb" and another setting that says "AC30".

the twin reverb setting might kinda sound like a twin, and the AC30 setting might sound more like an AC30 than the twin setting.

however, if you compared the "AC30" setting with a real AC30, you'd rather just play the fucking real thing. see, the real AC30 is only good at being an AC30. it does not know how to be anything else......the line 6 dial-an-amp is a cheap imitation of a ton of classic sounds, but is not able to accurately replicate one of them. why? cause it's too busy worrying about how many fucking dials it has than actually being a good amp.

Do you own over 2500 albums? I do. And let me tell you, they have done very original shit.

Generic? Generic?

dig:

generic emo

generic "blues"

generic hard rock

generic "punk"

Do you own over 2500 albums? I do. And let me tell you, they have done very original shit.

Get the fuck outa here with your stupid fucking comments. You have 2500 albums? Who gives a fuck that tells me nothing about how you understand music. It tells me you have no life and are a boring fucking stale person. That's something to be proud of. You obvioulsy dont know as much about music as you would like others to believe you do, with your stupid comment on Ron being a better guitar player than BH. Even Ron himself will admit he is not Buckethead. Are you insain dude? Next you will tell me how Ron is better than than Steve Vai. Go back to sleep. But instead, you will give me some BS rebutle how I know nothing and I should listen to you because you are so informed. Is this a joke of some kind???

Edited by smokingarthur

Generic? Generic?

dig:

generic emo

generic "blues"

generic hard rock

generic "punk"

Get the fuck outa here with your stupid fucking comments. You have 2500 albums? Who gives a fuck that tells me nothing about how you understand music. It tells me you have no life and are a boring fucking stale person. That's something to be proud of. You obvioulsy dont know as much about music as you would like others to believe you do, with your stupid comment on Ron being a better guitar player than BH. Even Ron himself will admit he is not Buckethead. Are you insain dude? Next you will tell me how Ron is better than than Steve Vai. Go back to sleep. But instead, you will give me some BS rebutle how I know nothing and I should listen to you because you are so informed. Is this a joke of some kind???

Are you kidding me Ron owns Steve Vai. Steve vai is so overrated. He is like pop music in the guitar virtuoso community. Hell Vai can't even play the blues he admitted it himself. He's certainly a pioneer and has influenced a lot players similar to Van Halen or Jimmy Page but he's certainly not the greatest or even better than Ron. Vai is like 1st year college where as Ron is like at the PHD level. but even Ron isn't the greatest.

Look people are ignorant and don't know much about guitar playing so they worship guys like Vai and Buckethead because they don'y know any better and haven't got the intellectual capacity to appreciate the better players. If there has to be someone who is the greatest guitar player on the planet it goes to Allan Holdsworth and thats not my opinion its the opinion of the all the greats from players like Vai to Eddie Van Halen, Buckethead, Ron, Greg Howe, Brett Garsed, Frank gambale, Malmsteen and Shawn Lane. Does anyone know who he is NO. People don't even know who Shawn Lane is.

You arent even in that guitar player community so stop thinking you know your shit when you know nothing at all.

Before Buckethead most GNR fans hadnt even known what alternate speed picking or sweeping was. They see a guy do it and they start thinking he is the greatest guitar player ever. Buckethead is good but like Vai is overrated. Those who know Paul Gilbert and Racer X and know Paul's shit know what Buckethead's all about.

If Buckethead's the greatest then God knows what Paul is.

Bottom line if you like it you like it if you don't you don't but to compare and contrast musicians, disect the music and to judge who's better you have to know you're shit and most people don't. Thats the same reason why people listen to crappy music, movies, tv shows and radio because they'll get into anything thats easy to digest and marketed to them.

Edited by fishyguy

Generic? Generic?

dig:

generic emo

generic "blues"

generic hard rock

generic "punk"

your taste is obviously very thin. unless you are well into your 30s (which, if you are, you are fucking immature btw) there is no way you could have listened to all of those records thoroughly.....or you're obviously a "quantity over quality" guy which would explain a lot......

the fact is: bumblefoot the band is fuckng stupid. compare how long they've been around to how many connections ron thal obviously has.......did you hear of them before gnr?

the vocals and lyrics are fucking atrocious, and the music is bland and uncool.

as for the whole "virtusoso" factor in gnr, here is the bottom line:

gnr were (are) a rock n roll band. ok? all this virtuoso shit, it has NOTHING to do with rock n roll.

you see, the virtuosos, as someone said above, are "like and bach and mozart" and "theoretical physics in complexity". well, that's all well and good, except the best rock n roll comes in immediate 2-5 minute bursts with a lot of repition and simplicity. the virtusoso shit forces you to stop and think about what they're playing when you should just be lost in the song......

Edited by ohyesindeed

Generic? Generic?

dig:

generic emo

generic "blues"

generic hard rock

generic "punk"

your taste is obviously very thin. unless you are well into your 30s (which, if you are, you are fucking immature btw) there is no way you could have listened to all of those records thoroughly.....or you're obviously a "quantity over quality" guy which would explain a lot......

the fact is: bumblefoot the band is fuckng stupid. compare how they've been around to how many connections ron thal obviously has.......did you hear of them before gnr?

the vocals and lyrics are fucking atrocious, and the music is bland and uncool.

as for the whole "virtusoso" factor in gnr, here is the bottom line:

gnr were (are) a rock n roll band. ok? all this virtuoso shit, it has NOTHING to do with rock n roll.

you see, the virtuosos, as someone said above, are "like and back and mozart" and "theoretical physics in complexity". well, that's all well and good, except the best rock n roll comes in immediate 2-5 minute bursts with a lot of repition and simplicity. the virtusoso shit forces you to stop and think about what they're playing when you should just be lost in the song......

Oh please. Yes rock is meant to be hard and in your face, but that doesn't mean that the virtuoso style has no place in it. Good virtuoso players play with style, amazing technique and passion.

Do you think this ruins Nightrain?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90sDGpBLb50

If so then I have no idea what you like in your music since that is simply breathtaking. Rock can be complex and in your face at the same time, as that is. That blows away any Nightrain solo Slash ever did IMO (And, as you can tell by my name, I love Slash).

I can't believe you're complaining about having to THINK about when someone is playing. That is the TRUE beauty of a great muscian.

If you think Ron's solo stuff is bland and generic you've either not listened to them fully, or know very little about music. He's extremely varied and his music is oozing with style. He knows how to change his sound in the blink of an eye and this makes a style of music you very rarely encounter. He can cover so many different genres and styles it's amazing. He's immensely talented, and if you can't see that you must be quite ignorant or uneducated.

And how can he not have listened to 2500 albums properly? I listen to about 10-15 different albums each week. Each of which I give just as much attention too (unless they're clearly shit). He's 17 I do believe, and I'm 16 with a collection pushing 1300 albums. It's very possible.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

Do you think this ruins Nightrain?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90sDGpBLb50

yes.

If you think Ron's solo stuff is bland and generic you've either not listened to them fully, or know very little about music. He's extremely varied and his music is oozing with style. He knows how to change his sound in the blink of an eye and this makes a style of music you very rarely encounter. He can cover so many different genres and styles it's amazing. He's immensely talented, and if you can't see that you must be quite ignorant or uneducated.

you must be 16.

Well you sure did ignore all of my points and decided to focus on my age. Well done for not being able to reply in a constructive way.

i made my point in 5 words.

you didnt make one in about 100 or so......brevity is the soul of wit.

but, since you asked, here's some more words:

you're 16. i'm 22. i've been playing guitar since you were 4. (and that doesn't make me a better guitar player or person than you, btw....)

when i was first getting into playing guitar, i really liked all that shredding shit. i even learned to play some of it. the more i listened to these "catch all" shredders who could play any style, the more i noticed something:

they could skim the surface of those styles, but they couldnt master any one style. i had an epiphany:

it is better to be really good at one thing than to be mediocre @ 7. you might think that bbf can play the blues.

sure, he knows the blues scale and can physically play SRV licks. but, he ain't a better blues guitar player than SRV, is he? he ain't better @ classical than segovia, and he ain't better at jazz than wes montgomery. he ain't better at writing songs than dylan, lennon, or keith richards. so, what's the point of being able to shred your ass off in any style when you really can't be taking all of it to heart, cause you ain't better at it than people who specialized in one style? why be a jack of trades, but a master of none? now, it could be said that all the people i mentioned are legends and no one could ever be better than them.....this is somewhat true. but, you have a better chance at getting to the heart of what they were doing by focusing on just a couple of things rather than 100.

so, there's that.

there's also the fact that the more i got into music, the more i realized that the things that moved me the most were things that came in simple packages. if you own 10,000 records and you're in your 40s, will you ever forget the melody to "old mcdonald had a farm" or "twinkle twinkle little star"? no. why? because it's simple as water and it stays with you forever. SCOM ain't no complex melody.....you will never forget how that song goes, or the feeling you get when listening to it. there comes a point in music, when too much is just too much regardless of how good you are. it becomes static. economists among us (musical or otherwise) know the value of constantly downsizing everything. the more you talk, the less people listen.....always better to make your point in as few words (or notes) as possible, in the simplest way possible. if you can't explain "it" to me like i'm 6, it may not be worth explaining...

these are just my opinions, and i'm not "right" and you ain't "wrong"...it never works that way with music. you like what you like. most people i know, even people with chops on the guitar that bbf would cream over, agree.

so you can take that for what it's worth.....

Edited by ohyesindeed

I hate to break it to you guys but the general public is not going to give a shit about Ron when Chinese Democracy drops. Ron is much more suited to be in a metal outfit like Megadeth or something. Buckethead is a freak, but people can vibe off that. GnR has always been a band of characters and Bucket's definitely a character. Ron is a faceless guitar geek kind of guy. Watching Ron is like seeing a guy wanking off with no regard for the songs he's playing. Look how many non melodic notes I can play as I go up and down the fret board. Bucket at least compliments the songs he plays with melodic solos. Axl's probably got Beta wrapping action figures for Bucket right now. Don't worry kids Uncle Axl's ordering up some KFC for his annual Christmas party.