You Could Be Mine

Son Of A Gun

Having a few listens to YCBM i think this is one of the worst performed songs live by the new Gn'R. The song really needs a lot of working to it. I think first with the drumming they shud add 4 drum tabs (1 left, 2 right, 1 both) like original, as well as leave the lead & rhythm guitars out of it until tommy first strikes his bass, and also the bit at around 44 seconds where he does the continuous front and left hands and legs drumming really needs to have more of a solid sound to it. The explosion should be taken out of it altogether and that crappy Robin solo just before Axl starts singing should be changed to something more bad ass. And it shud have a deeper rhythm guitar sound to it..much like Izzy did. All in all these guys need some serious fixing up to do with You Could Be Mine. What has this song become live :no:

EDIT:

There 's a lot of wrong things on this song so here is some of them:

- Bumblefoot's, Robin's or Richard's guitar which just after the initial drum intro should be held back until Tommy first strikes the notes with his bass guitar

- The drumming after the initial drum intro should be put back to 1 left, 2 right and 1 left (hands and legs)

and not 2 right and 1 left

- The drumming that starts from about 44 seconds and lasts through to 50 or 51 seconds into it needs to be solidly hit the way Matt did

- During the 44-51 second continuous drum sequence Tommy should use his bass more

-Explosion should be taken out

- Richard's rhythm guitar needs to be more present to give it that crisp backing sound from this point on

- Robin's & Bumblefoot's solo style just after the end of the continuous drumming sequence should be replaced with something more badass

- Robin's revolting mini solo just before Axl starts singing (which is the main guitar part that to me butchers this song) should also be replaced with something badass

- Axl's voice of course needs to be more raspy

- At the end of the second verse when Axl does the long "mine" the drummer needs to again use a 1 left, 2 right and 1 left style again (just like after the initial drum intro) and be like that up until before Axl starts signing 'You've gone sketchin' too many times'

- Robin should change his crappy half of the solo (part after Axl says "another reason to cry"

Edited by Son Of A Gun

I bet alot of people are gonna blame Pitman for ruining it.

But I like what he does to it.

I blame the drummer.

And Axl.

And Bumblefoot.

And Tommy.

Might as well blame Robin.

Mother Goose and Richard are great tho.

And they could change the lame race car video.

They should drop it all together though. Add Perfect Crime.

Edited by Jackamo

I thought it was one of the strongest tunes they did all 3 times I went this year, actually. Axl kills it - that's a tough one to sing even for his standards and he's done it quite well every time I've seen it.

If a video of them playing it on 12/20 comes out, you should watch it.

I like Frank's drumming on this track much more than Brain's - Brain took a few too many liberties with the original drum part in my opinion (speaking as a drummer).

There. I was on topic AND I mentioned watching videos :shades:

Edited by SterileEyes

This is one of my top 5 all-time Guns songs, but the new band just doesn't do the song much justice, especially Axl. His vocals, even this year, are pretty weak and whiny for the most part. Plus, I just don't think the rest of the band sounds as raw as the old Guns made it sound. Back in the day, this was one of the most intense, hard-rocking songs. Nowadays, I rarely listen/watch this song when listening to shows. I think Axl should start using the rasp more (like in Download Festival), and the rest of the band could fix it up a bit.

Unfortunately Axl's vocals are showcased the poorest on this particular song when it's played live. Back in the early '90s the strength of his voice gave it a kind of raw intensity, but the "whine" he has now just isn't the same. I have to agree that it's probably my least favorite song they play live on a consistent basis. Sweet Child also sounds rather poor when they play it live for similar reasons. Weird how he can sound fantastic on Nightrain and Mr. Brownstone and then turn around and sound so poor on other Appetite and UYI material...

Edited by Estranged Reality

I don't know you guys... they can pull it off pretty good. Especially this performance. Top knotch:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=19gcyR_HuMM&amp...ted&search=

Seriously though, I saw them twice this year... I thought it was one of their better performances from the whole set. The band sounded spot on (goodness forbid I say better than the original) and Axl sounded great both time.

I think a lot of people feel let down when they first hear it live because of the vocal build up right after the solo. He did it line by line in studio and has ALWAYS had to sing that bit different live, it's no humanly possible to breath and sing that part as it is on record. (Talking about right after solo, "Don't forget to call my lawyers with rediculous demands....." etc...)

For those that are let down because of how that is done live, I understand the difference in energy build up but this is not them doing a bad version of it, it's them playing it live compared to the studio version so don't let that bit through you- I think Axl has and still is ripping through this song to great effect.

There 's a lot of wrong things on this song so here is some of them:

- Bumblefoot's, Robin's or Richard's guitar which just after the initial drum intro should be held back until Tommy first strikes the notes with his bass guitar

- The drumming after the initial drum intro should be put back to 1 left, 2 right and 1 left (hands and legs)

and not 2 right and 1 left

- The drumming that starts from about 44 seconds and lasts through to 50 or 51 seconds into it needs to be solidly hit the way Matt did

- During the 44-51 second continuous drum sequence Tommy should use his bass more

-Explosion should be taken out

- Richard's rhythm guitar needs to be more present to give it that crisp backing sound from this point on

- Robin's & Bumblefoot's solo style just after the end of the continuous drumming sequence should be replaced with something more badass

- Robin's revolting mini solo just before Axl starts singing (which is the main guitar part that to me butchers this song) should also be replaced with something badass

- Axl's voice of course needs to be more raspy

- At the end of the second verse when Axl does the long "mine" the drummer needs to again use a 1 left, 2 right and 1 left style again (just like after the initial drum intro) and be like that up until before Axl starts signing 'You've gone sketchin' too many times'

- Robin should change his crappy half of the solo (part after Axl says "another reason to cry"

Brain wasn't able to do the intro. Nuff said.

Brain WAS able to do the intro properly, its just he put his own little twist on things, as a drummer myself i can confidently say this.....

The original went (in order of drums struck):

Floor tom, Rack tom, Bass Drum, Bass Drum,

Snare, Snare, Bass Drum, Bass Drum,

Floor tom, Floor tom, Bass Drum, Bass Drum, Snare + China

One of Brain's Versions:

Floor tom, Floor tom, Bass Drum, Bass Drum, Snare + China

Notice that he can play the exact same rythm as sorum did on the original intro, but becase he is in the band, he wanted to put his own twist on things........

Admittidly (sp?) as a drummer I prefer Sorums YUI intro rather than Brain's new intro, but that still does'nt mean that Brain was'nt able enough to play the original intro....

CJ

thanks gnrskidrow1. best live You Could Be Mine video ive ever seen.

its my all time favourite GnR song ever. infact i edited my Carmageddon 2 highlights video to it.

I agree rock3

Yep! Argentina '93 wipes the floor with ANY YCBM performance rock1 rock3

Matts drumming, Axl's vocals, Slash rips the intro solo/main solo!.......

LA

Edited by LA_0013

thanks gnrskidrow1. best live You Could Be Mine video ive ever seen.

its my all time favourite GnR song ever. infact i edited my Carmageddon 2 highlights video to it.

I agree rock3

Yep! Argentina '93 wipes the floor with ANY YCBM performance rock1 rock3

Matts drumming, Axl's vocals, Slash rips the intro solo/main solo!.......

LA

Musically it didn't sound that good in that era. I can make a huge list of concerts where it sounded more kickass here 's some of the best performances of that song in my opinion...

06.22.91 - Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA

07.25.91 - Pacific Amphitheatre, Costa Mesa, CA

07.29.91 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, CA

07.30.91 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, CA

05.28.92 - Neckar Stadium, Stuttgart, Germany

09.07.92 - Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC

09.30.92 - Jack Murphy Stadium, San Diego, CA

Chicago 92 YCBM is amazing Axl blew me away with that song.

Brian did his drumming right my head had his drum part going in my head the day after. lol

I've tried on numerous occasions to sing this song it's not easy. The thing with song's like Live and let Die, Brownstone, and It's so easy it's a basic deep toned voice. With Nightrain I don't know he always sounds amazing on that song.

Edited by Axl98