The best album-openers

username

Like the title said. And I don't mean fictional. Just songs that really ARE album openers. And also, why?

Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction - Welcome To The Jungle

Do I need to explain? this song grabs your nutsack, twists it around and makes you squeal.

Pink Floyd - The Wall - In The Flesh

Because it's like an intro to the story and a good one at that. "If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to blow your way through this disguise." It puts the story of the album right there and has this very theatrical tone. Love it! Perfect for the album.

Metallica - Master Of Puppets - Battery

Kinda like Jungle, but this time it beats your head in with a sledgehammer. So powerful and heavy it just grabs you.

AC/DC - The Razors Edge - Thunderstruck

The intro, 'nuff said.

Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies - Drunken Lullabies

Because this track more than anything shows what Flogging Molly is all about. It's catchy, it's traditional but it has the typical Molly twist. It makes you want to hear more of them. It's the track that got me into Flogging Molly.

ok...I didn't want to put Floyd in twice, but...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (part I - V)

For all the obvious reasons. The slooooow intro that takes you further and further and just when you're waiting for the song to "explode" you realize you're already in the middle of the explosion.

Who is to add...?

Edited by username

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aerosmith - Rocks - Back In The Saddle

The intro just sets you up for the album, and that scream of Tyler "I'm baaaaack!" is incredible.

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home - Subterranean Homesick Blues

As soon as you hear the electric guitar and Dylan starts rushing those words, you know you're in for a classic.

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited - Like A Rolling Stone

Need I say anything?

Bob Dylan - Planet Waves - On A Night Like This

I love this album, and especially this song. It's a different Dylan, but still interesting. His vocals also made me fall in love with the song. I absolutely love his voice.

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks - Tangled Up In Blue

Tangled Up In Blue is crucial to get what Blood On The Tracks is about. The heartbreak present in the song (and the album, for that matter) is instantly revealed by Dylan's vocal tone and the slower atmosphere. Brilliant.

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. - Blinded By The Light

Blinded By The Light is a song that just gets you hooked and doesn't let you stop singing along, even though you probably won't be able to pronounce half of the words, and most that you do pronounce are wrong. The rhythm is contageous. Also sets up nicely a great album.

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run - Thunder Road

As Bruce himself said on VH1 Storytellers, Thunder Road is the invitation to Born To Run. The invitation to run away from the life you have and search for something more, something better. One of the best songs ever written.

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town - Badlands

Badlands is different from everything Bruce had written before Darkness, yet it has that Springsteen touch that is impossible to copy. A nice start for a great album.

Deep Purple - Stormbringer - Stormbringer

Stormbringer may not be the best Purple album - probably not even close -, but the title track is just a pure rocker that I like very much.

Dire Straits - Making Movies - Tunnel Of Love

The Carousel Waltz, the solos, the lyrics, everything about Tunnel Of Love is magic. Knopfler's best composition, hands down.

Don McLean - American Pie - American Pie

Even though Don McLean is not just American Pie, it certainly is a masterpiece and one of his best songs. The album is very good and underrated, but this is one of the highlights.

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction - Welcome To The Jungle

What Ron said.

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I - Right Next Door To Hell

Just a kick in the balls, blasted at full-speed, with an amazing intro.

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II - Civil War

A great long song, and one of the highlights on UYI II. Slash's solos and Axl's screams are top notch in here.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon - Speak To Me/Breathe

This inseparable duo does a great job of introducing DSOTM. Breathe is one of the best songs in Floyd's entire catalogue.

Queen - A Night At The Opera - Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To...)

Not one of Queen's best songs, but a damn fine opener that does its job very well.

Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons Of Hitch Hiking - 4:30 AM (Apparently They Were Travelling Abroad)

A high point in this album. There's a point where you think the song's gonna explode, but it keeps building towards the next song (Running Shoes), which is when it does explode. Waters did a brilliant job on this one.

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - Brown Sugar

Brown Sugar has to be one of the best rockers of all time, and certainly a good way to start things off on Sticky Fingers.

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street - Rocks Off

Brown Sugar, however, doesn't beat Rocks Off. This songs is just pure awesomeness. It has everything and really gets you pumped up for the rest of the album (which definitely delivers). The saxophone on it is gorgeous.

Stone Temple Pilots - Core - Dead And Bloated

Before the instrumental section starts, Weiland's maniac voice makes the song. Great way to open Core.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak - Jailbreak

The riff is awesome and the whole song is fantastic. Probably the best on the album.

Tom Waits - Closing Time - Ol' 55

My favourite Tom Waits album and one of my favourite songs by him. Breathtakingly beautiful.

Velvet Revolver - Contraband - Sucker Train Blues

As soon as the riff kicks in, you know what kind of rock 'n' roll odissey you're in for. A very agressive song that really sold me onto Velvet Revolver.

The Velvet Underground - Loaded - Who Loves The Sun

This was the first song I heard by The Velvet Underground and I loved it ever since I heard the vocals. A very good song from a very good album.

Okay... Maybe I exaggerated a little bit... :unsure:

What about Refuse/Resist on Sepultura's Chaos A.D. album! Also the kind of song that grabs you with all it's power. Just hearing that song pisses me off like crazy in the best kind of way. Love it!

Heck yeah! That's an amazing album!

Shame they had to go and do pieces of shit like 'Roots' though

What about Refuse/Resist on Sepultura's Chaos A.D. album! Also the kind of song that grabs you with all it's power. Just hearing that song pisses me off like crazy in the best kind of way. Love it!

Two slayer albums with great openers which grab you with all their mighty powerful might!!

Reign in Blood - Angel Of Death

Seasons in The Abyss - War Ensemble

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (Like a Rolling Stone)

Simply the greatest rock song ever recorded. The drum beat is the Shot Heard 'Round The World to usher in the new era of Bob's career and of rock music in general.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Born to Run (Thunder Road)

Thunder Road is a song that encapsulates all of the complexities of the story to come in the rest of the record. It is very much the overture to the drama to come in the rest of the album.

Bob Dylan - Modern Times (Thunder On The Mountain)

The blues intro to the song grabs you and pulls you into the shuffle of genius that is TOTM. The song then shows you that Dylan can still write about everything from love to politics - all recurring themes on the rest of the most excellent record.

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA (Born In The USA)

Need I say more? One of the most misunderstood songs in rock history, Springsteen but a definedly 80s pop sound to a Dylan-esque protest song and showed the world that it's possible to be intelligent and provacative within a very modern sound

Need I say anything?

This is probably my favorite Dylan song of all time. It's beyond amazing in every possible way.

But as an album opener? You kind of ensure nothing else on the album will be as good as this. And that's a bit weird.

Highway 61 Revisited is one hell of an album. Sure, probably nothing else is as good as it, but the album doesn't go downhill from there. Like A Rolling Stone isn't much better than the rest of the record, which says something about it.

Need I say anything?

This is probably my favorite Dylan song of all time. It's beyond amazing in every possible way.

But as an album opener? You kind of ensure nothing else on the album will be as good as this. And that's a bit weird.

Highway 61 Revisited is one hell of an album. Sure, probably nothing else is as good as it, but the album doesn't go downhill from there. Like A Rolling Stone isn't much better than the rest of the record, which says something about it.

Given, but it's still a climax at the beginning.

Well, it kinda is, but the fact that the album maintains its quality, leading up to the grand finale (Desolation Row) doesn't make it a bad opener. I think the best songs on the record are the first and the last, so it makes Like A Rolling Stone a good opener - at least from my point of view.

Edited by worldwideboss

Need I say anything?

Highway 61 doesn't go downhill at all! The whole album is a pure work of musical genius (after all, it is Bob Dylan!). The rest of the record is, while not nearly musically as good as LARS, perfect. Fillers are songs like Tombstone Blues and From a Buic 6 - songs that are radio singles on any record by any other band. The record also contains arguably Dylan's greatest experimental song (Ballad of a Thin Man) as well as possibly his greatest lyrical work (Desolation Row). It doesn't go downhill, it's simply different as it goes on.

Megadeth - Last Rites/Loved to Deth - Album: Killing is my Business

Queensrÿche - Walk in the Shadows - Album: Rage For Order

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand - Album: Presence

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run - Album: Band on the Run

Bruce Dickinson - King in Crimson - Album: The Chemical Wedding

Billy Joel - Big Shot - Album: 52nd Street

The Who - Baba O' Riley - Album: Who's Next

Motörhead - Ace of Spades - Album: Ace of Spades

Savatage - 24 Hours Ago - Album: Hall of the Mountain King

Skid Row - Monkey Business - Album: Slave to the Grind

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around - Album: American IV: The Man Comes Around

Van Halen - Mean Street - Album: Fair Warning

Black Sabbath - Neon Knights - Album: Heaven and Hell

The Beatles - Come Together - Album: Abbey Road

Rush - Subdivisions - Album: Signals

Rush - 2112 - Album: 2112

Rush - Anthem - Album: Fly By Night

The Offspring - Time to Relax/Nitro (Youth Energy) - Album: Smash

The Offspring - Disclaimer/The Meaning of Life - Album: Ixnay on the Hombre

I love good album openers.

Need I say anything?

Given, but it's still a climax at the beginning.

It's the foreplay to the sex that is Highway 61 Revisited. It's the quick climax to get you ready for the wonderful sex (the body of the album) that leads to the ultimate orgasm/climax (Desolation Row) at the end. That a better analogy for you? :tongue2:

Hmm, just off the top of my head...

You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire - Songs For The Deaf

Welcome To The Jungle - AFD

Rusty Cage - Badmotorfinger

Everything in its Right Place - Kid A

Folsom Prison Blues - At Folsom Prison (live)

The Queen Is Dead - The Queen Is Dead

Sucker Train Blues - Contraband

Prelude 3.0 - Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

Cochise - Audioslave

The Mercy Seat - Tender Prey

Do You Love Me? - Let Love In

Ol' 55 - Closing Time

I Am One - Gish

Bittersweet Symphony - Urban Hymns

Hells Bells - Back In Black

The Grudge - Lateralus

Edited by Dead Flower