80s vs the 60s and 70!

Chris Axl

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you might think Pink Floyd is boring...but that's only because you can't appreciate mellow music. Maybe it isn't something you are big on yet.

Pink Floyd, while boring to you, wrote some of the deepest, most genuine music ever. Their lyrics are amazing. "Wish You Were Here" is in my opinion the greatest song ever. Pink Floyd is more mature...not so "ooooooooh yeaaaaaaa..let's rocknrooooooooool!!!!!!" If you like that then that's fine. That's your thing. But as far as quality in the music goes...Pink Floyd beats anyone and everyone from the 80's. You might not like the mellow style Pink Floyd gives vs. the in your face screaming hair metal of the 80's...but the quality in the lyrics, the originality in the song writing...it's not debateable.

Give me one good line by Poison that can touch any line in "Wish You Were Here". Seriously.

Are you familiar with Syd Barrett?

There's more than just Dark Side of the Moon. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets, Wish You Were Here, The Wall - these are essentials.

My respect for you has dropped significantly due to this thread, Chris. I can't tell if you're just trying to make a fuss to bring attention to yourself, but it's only making you look really sad. :no:

I dont know if you quoted me because you agreed with me or if you were directing your post to me...but I agree with you about Floyd.

Ack, I didn't mean to quote your post.

add on: I'm suprised you haven't listed Bon Jovi Chris...they were one of the few highpoints of the 80's to me.

Dark Side is a bad place to start if you want to get into Floyd.

Albiet, it's one of the greatest albums ever made, it's not a good place to start when your main genre/style of interest is hair metal...especially since Dark Side is very slow.

A good place to start is "Wish You Were Here" or "Learning to Fly"

ANIMALS

Another vote for the 80's here.

Van Halen, Metallica, Megadeth, best of Aerosmith, best of Alice Cooper, Pixies, Ratt, WASP, best of Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest.

Even the pop was good, Huey Lewis and the News, etc. The song 'Blue Monday' by New Order is archetypal 80's and is the most played song in history in dance venues. I'd venture to say music from the 80's gets the most plays combined from jingles, radio play, soundtracks, etc, etc... In fact I think I heard that somewhere.

Anybody saying 80's bands didn't care about the music and were just concerned with looking good, well.. it's acknowledged that the 80's was the height of guitar virtuosity in the mainstream. In fact the simplicity of grunge was a reaction against it. Don't forget there was a wide range of music in the 80's, some good, some bad, some concerned with image just like any other decade (the Monkees anyone?).

If I can be so arrogant as to sum up the differences between the decades in a few lines:

The 60's was still exploring rock musically, and the feeling was idealism and youth empowerment.

The 70's was a real mixture because you've got motown, rock a la Aerosmith, punk, continuing hippie bands from the 60's. The 70's was pretty much like the 60's except there was now a greater variety.

The 80's was a reaction against the hippies, economic stagnation and all that, and we saw the yuppies. The idea was to make an effort, music was not necessarily so much an expression of the heart any more or rallying against some cause but it is legitimate entertainment. The hair metal bands were about 'glamming it up', excess, money, having a good time, not moping about the ills of the world.

The 90's was a reaction to the musical virtuosity of the 80's and the lack of heartfelt emotion, music was dumbed down during Grunge. From about 96 onwards it's pretty much like today, a mish mash of trends perpetrated by record company execs. The current trend is to hark from the bands from the 60's and 70's and react against the 80's and early 90's.

If you forget about the music, which decade is closest to you depends on how you feel about the world and yourself. For me music is meant to be fun, and we're only here for a short time, and I don't want to spend my days moping like the bands of the 70's and early 90's, but living it up like the bands of the 80s. I have personal dreams, wealth is one of them. To me a lot of 80's music is aspirational, whereas other decades are a bit primitive (60's) and just don't get my rocks off, or are totally coming from a different, more serious place (70's). You say the 80's is concerned about image, well I see Grunge as concerned about image simply because they are concerned not to care about anything.

Edited by neon guitar

pink floyd makes the most boring in history of mankind

Yet Poison are good. I can't do anything but laugh at what you say.

poison >pink floyd

pink floyd was popluar cus they used lasers on stage, thats the same reason why the star wars movies are so popular :rolleyes:

There is no hope for you, really.

uhm, hope?

oh, I get it......... so its like, the 70s/60 are the CORRECT era to like music, and 80 is the WRONG.

Well good, im the rebel, im the rocker rock3

no Chris, you're the moron

Oh man..Chris is getting a beating....

I'll sit on the fence but 80s had MJ and the chilli peppers and 60/70s had clapton, beatles, anka, the eagles and also hippies.

There's always good and bad from every generation.

Edited by lagofala

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Another vote for the 80's here.

Van Halen, Metallica, Megadeth, best of Aerosmith, best of Alice Cooper, Pixies, Ratt, WASP, best of Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest.

Even the pop was good, Huey Lewis and the News, etc. The song 'Blue Monday' by New Order is archetypal 80's and is the most played song in history in dance venues. I'd venture to say music from the 80's gets the most plays combined from jingles, radio play, soundtracks, etc, etc... In fact I think I heard that somewhere.

Anybody saying 80's bands didn't care about the music and were just concerned with looking good, well.. it's acknowledged that the 80's was the height of guitar virtuosity in the mainstream. In fact the simplicity of grunge was a reaction against it. Don't forget there was a wide range of music in the 80's, some good, some bad, some concerned with image just like any other decade (the Monkees anyone?).

If I can be so arrogant as to sum up the differences between the decades in a few lines:

The 60's was still exploring rock musically, and the feeling was idealism and youth empowerment.

The 70's was a real mixture because you've got motown, rock a la Aerosmith, punk, continuing hippie bands from the 60's. The 70's was pretty much like the 60's except there was now a greater variety.

The 80's was a reaction against the hippies, economic stagnation and all that, and we saw the yuppies. The idea was to make an effort, music was not necessarily so much an expression of the heart any more or rallying against some cause but it is legitimate entertainment. The hair metal bands were about 'glamming it up', excess, money, having a good time, not moping about the ills of the world.

The 90's was a reaction to the musical virtuosity of the 80's and the lack of heartfelt emotion, music was dumbed down during Grunge. From about 96 onwards it's pretty much like today, a mish mash of trends perpetrated by record company execs. The current trend is to hark from the bands from the 60's and 70's and react against the 80's and early 90's.

If you forget about the music, which decade is closest to you depends on how you feel about the world and yourself. For me music is meant to be fun, and we're only here for a short time, and I don't want to spend my days moping like the bands of the 70's and early 90's, but living it up like the bands of the 80s. I have personal dreams, wealth is one of them. To me a lot of 80's music is aspirational, whereas other decades are a bit primitive (60's) and just don't get my rocks off, or are totally coming from a different, more serious place (70's). You say the 80's is concerned about image, well I see Grunge as concerned about image simply because they are concerned not to care about anything.

A decent case for the 1980s, but the fact of the matter is that the amount of good music that was going on in the two previous decades outweigh it to the extreme.

you might think Pink Floyd is boring...but that's only because you can't appreciate mellow music. Maybe it isn't something you are big on yet.

Pink Floyd, while boring to you, wrote some of the deepest, most genuine music ever. Their lyrics are amazing. "Wish You Were Here" is in my opinion the greatest song ever. Pink Floyd is more mature...not so "ooooooooh yeaaaaaaa..let's rocknrooooooooool!!!!!!" If you like that then that's fine. That's your thing. But as far as quality in the music goes...Pink Floyd beats anyone and everyone from the 80's. You might not like the mellow style Pink Floyd gives vs. the in your face screaming hair metal of the 80's...but the quality in the lyrics, the originality in the song writing...it's not debateable.

Give me one good line by Poison that can touch any line in "Wish You Were Here". Seriously.

I LOVE Wish You Were Here. It is an Awesome song

The late 60's and 70's were a musical feast. While the 80's were a double cheeseburger, fries and malt. There is nothing wrong with fast food, but most people do not want a steady diet of it, or believe that it is better than a banquet. As your musical taste develops there will probably always be 80's songs both fast and slow you love, but I doubt it will remain your favorite musical decade.

The 80's had some great bands no question -- but saying they were Poison and Ratt is so absurd it makes me question whether or not you really believe anything you say Chris_Axl :).

Bands like Van Halen, GNR, RHCP, Metallica, Prince and the Revolution, Jane's Addiction, The Beastie Boys, AC/DC 2.0, INXS....these are some of the bands that really hit their stride during that time period made up the more credible element of mainstream music in the 80s. Then there were all the crazy pop acts too which have their own appeal

That said then, hair metal is the ultimate form of style of substance -- a true embodiment of everything that was wrong with the 80's vapid culture. It basically took basically took the crazy glam style of early underground bands like Hanoi Rocks, who actually had musical talent, and just used that veneer to disguise their cheap hooks and shitty disposable sound. Most people probably can't distinguish Ratt, from Poison, from Cinderella, from Faster Pussycat...it's all trash.

Me personally, I think like 1987-1994 was a real musical golden age. It's been a steep decline ever since that last musical hurrah.

Edited by Ant

And I'd count Metallica (a band I kind of hate) as a '70s band... ditto for Kiss... just because they were active then doesn't mean that's when they broke through. Because by that logic you could count great artists like Tom Waits for the 1980s but I think Chris meant newly-surfaced bands that came about in the '80s.

metallica IS a '80s band kill em all went out in 81.