avril has offically lost it !!

Iron Roses

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus.

You know, I was actually watching some Avril live videos the other day and was thinking she was finally making some smart choices when it came to her image. When she was 17 and first hit the scene it was forgivable for her to act how she did, since she was still trying to find herself whilst being a global superstar. I always liked her first two albums, as they were decent pop records, but I didn't like how she was promoted as some 'rock chick'.

Say what you will about The Best Damn Thing, whether you like it or not, at least she's seemingly genuine in that. No more of the wannabe rock or punk elements are there, it's just a good fun pop album. She's got an image that seems to suit her and I think she knows what she wants now musically.

But this really goes against pretty much everything I've just said. I'm curious as to how much choice Avril had in this matter. I mean those two really don't blend together well and it seems like it would alienate a lot of people she's been winning back over (myself included).

Eh. I really am quite a closet fan of Avril. Well, no so closet really. She's one of my many guilty pleasures. When she first hit the scene I was 11/12 and her music really appealed to me, and I guess that love of pop has never died despite my music taste drastically changing (I'm a huge metalhead now).

Ok I just rambled way too much. It's just odd seeing this video and the contrast to her latest interviews I've seen. Hopefully she'll make smarter choices than this in the future.

"People are like, 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols.' Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?"

Avril Lavigne: (Entertainment Weekly, 2002)

i got nothing against her, bless her.

Edited by ffrankwhite

Well, that song didn't do her any favours. Regarding the Sid Vicious quote, I remember reading somewhere that an interviewer was giving her information about the Sex Pistols--just a brief overview--and told her about Sid Vicious. In her next interview, apparantly, she said that quote.

"I created Punk for this day and age. Do you see Britney walking around wearing ties and singing punk? Hell no. That's what I do. I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation."

I can't take her seriously after saying something like that.

"People are like, 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols.' Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?"

Yeah but again she was 17 (maybe 18) when she said these things. Just imagine being that young and being in her shoes. She probably had a lot of record producers and whatnot telling her how punk she was, and no doubt her management wanted her to play up to that for the image. It would be hard for anyone to keep their head during that time. I don't think you can really hold that stuff against someone at that age in her position.

She's stated many times that she's not punk, and I think she'd probably be as embarrassed reading those back as we are now.

...God, I sound like such an Avril fanboy..

"I created Punk for this day and age. Do you see Britney walking around wearing ties and singing punk? Hell no. That's what I do. I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation."

Yeah but again she was 17 (maybe 18) when she said these things. Just imagine being that young and being in her shoes. She probably had a lot of record producers and whatnot telling her how punk she was, and no doubt her management wanted her to play up to that for the image. It would be hard for anyone to keep their head during that time. I don't think you can really hold that stuff against someone at that age in her position.

She's stated many times that she's not punk, and I think she'd probably be as embarrassed reading those back as we are now.

this is coming from the person who said that at that age she'd already sought out her musical niche and those that hadn't were stupid..

this is coming from the person who said that at that age she'd already sought out her musical niche and those that hadn't were stupid..

He'd. I'm a guy. ;)

And maybe that was her niche at the time. Tastes change. I by no means think I'll love the same music I do in 5 years that I do now. My music taste is still evolving. I know what I like though, and I don't bitch about the 'state of the industry', which was what that topic was about.

She was just unlucky enough to be in the spotlight as she was finding herself and made a few stupid comments, which people still hold against her to this day. Now that she's matured and changed, those quotes are unfair to pull out.

I don't like this version, but fuck it, I'm not gonna crucify her for it. For one thing, I think it's kinda ballsy for Lil Mama to take the song re work it on her own put the raps in it and send the demo to her. And it was cool of Av to be open minded enough to go "yeah this is cool, let's release it".