Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal

STARABOSTES

the man is "the man" on GNR

as I've been to their recent shows in Europe, I've notice that the most demanding parts in GNR songs are played by Ron.

and now, as I re-watched/heard the youtube videos tha MichelleUS66 posted for the Osaka show...

well man, just wow!

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal rocks!

and this thread is for all you people who appreciate this man singing

and also...

for the

"the rest, the small coins" who thing otherwise.

to prove my point

and come to think of,

this band is the best ever from all the GNR incarnations!

"that's the truth and i'm sticking to it"

so enjoy!

and "for all those opposed... hmm.. well?!"

so please, do try to stop this band... as the song goes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i have said before , i am not a huge nugnr fan i still follow because of axl , but ron is a wicked musician and he treats the fans with respect .... i personally and becomming a fan of his and my respect for him has grown greatly because of how i have seen him conduct himself towards the fans :thumbsup:

and come to think of,

:rofl-lol:

Son, were you around for the AFD/UYI lineups? You know the one responsible for this version of "GNR" to be able to continue to tour.I don't mean were you born then, I mean old enough to have seen them. I know MAYBE one person who was around back then that thinks this (current "band") is the definitive GNR lineup. Ron is OK but if he were gone tomorrow NOBODY outside these Forums would know/care.

Great guitarist and a very nice guy. Never fails to reply back to me on facebook within a few hours(all guitar related Qs though, not much GnR). One of the guitarists along with people like Bucket, Yngwie, Guthrie, Gilbert etc who have pretty much learnt all the facets of guitar playing. Gets extra points for using a fretless as well, im actually considering purchasing one now. I would prefer Bucket in GnR, as i absolutely love his solo works and leads, but he left and im looking forward to Ron's contributions on the next album.

Disclaimer to cdlove: I don't mean to start a bucket/ron fight!!! haha :)

YoungGun, I think we're over that now, and I feel like I started the majority of them. I feel like a dick dude, sorry. Buckethead is one of the best guitarists known to man and so is Ron, and once you reach a certain point, it's just opinion who's better.

and come to think of,

Son, were you around for the AFD/UYI lineups? You know the one responsible for this version of "GNR" to be able to continue to tour.I don't mean were you born then, I mean old enough to have seen them. I know MAYBE one person who was around back then that thinks this (current "band") is the definitive GNR lineup. Ron is OK but if he were gone tomorrow NOBODY outside these Forums would know/care.

I was also around back in the day even before SCOM hit I seen them live. But I have to say the band we have today is a tighter more technical band.

I do think Slash is a good studio musician as far as getting the sound he wants there but live he ain't that good as far as being spot on the orginal recording. But he is not a technical gurtist live he is more of a feel guy. I wish we could have both!

I love the way the new band plays the old songs at a faster pace than they did back in the late 80's and early 90's just gives them more energy in a live setting. Like Nightrain back in the old days it was played painfully slow at every concert I went too. And it isn't just that song it's most all the faster tracks on AFD and what few they do from UYI.

I have to say I HATE the way new band does KOHD now it was soooo much better way back then. I wish they would drop it but it's like you can't have a GNR concert without it most fans enjoy it.

I just try and look at the new band with a open mind but I do feel it is not fair to compair the two bands in an Apples to Apples kind of way because they are total different bands and I am GUILTY of tring to do this but that it not realy fair to either.

The old band playing huge gigs with a club like feel with all the miscues and rawness.

The new band still playing good size shows considering the world encomy and not being the orginal band, these people that where brought in have to sound good no matter what setting because they will just get ripped if they don't which is an almost impossible task and I feel the lineup we have now is the best of the NEW GNR era but to say the best GNR lineup ever is a real stretch.

I will go out on a limb and say the current band is better as far as pure talent but very lacking in the raw feel of the old band.

I will also say Axl sounds better vocally from 2006 on, than he ever sounded during a long term tour during both the AFD and UYI tours. I think that is mostly do to fact he takes it easier as far as some of screams he does or doesn't do that he use to always do back in the day. Kind of taking better care of himself from a vocal stand point.

I think the worst member of any GNR line up is Robin I can't stand the way he played in GNR. He had is moments but they where few and far between.

I know I talked in circles here but I like both bands and different ways.

and come to think of,

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: "son".. when ever a statement starts with "son", we just know what will follow :rolleyes:.

Yes man, I got to see/hear the AFD/UYI lineups , as that's when I got into GNR, if you'd just read my profile! And I loved GNR back then.

so, I got to see/hear all of GNR incarnations.

moreover I "surfaces" the youtube and re-see/hear again, all of them, and compare them involuntary, because I don't look to much into things, as I think good about each line-up, and respect and appreciate everyone's contribution to the band, but it's simply how I feel about the live acts of GNR, and now I feel this one is the best. it could do with the technology, in the sense that now they can mix music better live, it could do with poor quality videos... even though I did find really cool ones from '88-'93 live acts, either the case, this is how I feel about it now.

and for the record, I thought in 1990 that Slash was the coolest guitarist ever, so, don't think for a second that I don't like his part in GNR music. but, now, if you look/hear with out a judgmental attitude one can tell that Ron Bumblefoot Thal is way better than Slash (take also this one's over the years composition and live playing). And I can put Ron close to Jimi Hendrix, but Slash... sorry man, no can do, and I know that he's been voted second best after Jimi, but that's nothing to do with his skills, more with "persona", and if I was back in the '90 and people would have consider him second best after Jimi, then I would have been extremely happy, but we're not, and since 1995 Slash as guitarist stopped meaning anything, since I can find any of his work to get somewhere close to what he have done in GNR, and makes me wonder why is that... did others give him the edge?

and when I say lineups I really mean lineups and not considering one or 2 of members which are better then the other two who sing the same instruments.

look at Frank Thunderchucker Ferrer how he beats it, and look at Steven, Matt or Brain.

this drummer has it man, he has the feeling! and later on I will start a topic on him.

but, lets take the band as a whole when it's live, and the sound, because thats what I care most, the sound is the best now... not in every shows, and not in every songs.. take Richard Fortus approach on November Rain solo.. that's not that good, not to say more, and considering all the minuses and the pluses of each lineup, this is what I get -

Chinese Democracy 2009-2010 lineup is the best of GNR incarnations.

Edited by roua gri

Yeah in 2006, as much as I loved seeing him on stage with Robin, Brain and Axl, his playing was just out of place. It was pretty much Guns n' roses feat. Bumblefoot.

Now he's back to Ron Thal, and it fits the band way better.

As regards his playing and about himself, I only have nice words and it might be boring for you guys if I even started to express how I feel about Ron.

He's the main reason I'm into GnR and into guitar playing to begin with. I find him to be incredibly inspiring and wish him only the best.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

I think he's amazing. It's a bit difficult for me to rank the guitarists in GN'R, but he goes close to the top spot - or actually holds it himself.

He can play and improvise literally anything and still always has that oh-so-precious emotion.

He fits the band better now than during the 06/7 tours, but it was this Rock Am Ring vid that made me realize how incredible he is:

Hear the lick at around 2:45 or so :shocked:

Edited by Jyrgen

I think he's amazing. It's a bit difficult for me to rank the guitarists in GN'R, but he goes close to the top spot - or actually holds it himself.

He can play and improvise literally anything and still always has that oh-so-precious emotion.

He fits the band better now than during the 06/7 tours, but it was this Rock Am Ring vid that made me realize how incredible he is:

Hear the lick at around 2:45 or so :shocked:

yeah man! thanks for this one... :thumbsup:

actually he has at least three solos in this song which

blows away anyone else who sang those parts before him! rock1

and come to think of,

why you gotta do it man?

and come to think of,

What about the people at rock concerts shouting " Yeah Dude! Chinese Democracy rules!" They obviously care!

nuguns-1

failguns-0