Why can't Guns maintain a steady line-up?

Towelie

GNR have been a revolving door since the very beginning. Tracii Guns, Rob Gardner, Ole Beich anyone?

Kind of a silly thread.....

Nobody cares about those guys. None of them were in the band that got signed to Geffen and recorded AFD, Lies, and UYI I and II. The Slash, Duff, Izzy, Axl, Steven, Matt and Dizzy lineups were the only ones lineups who matter to the general public.

Edited by ITW 2012

GNR have been a revolving door since the very beginning. Tracii Guns, Rob Gardner, Ole Beich anyone?

Kind of a silly thread.....

Nobody cares about those guys. None of them were in the band that got signed to Geffen and recorded AFD, Lies, and UYI I and II. The Slash, Duff, Izzy, Axl, Steven, Matt and Dizzy lineups were the only ones lineups who matter to the general public.

one of the musicians that you ignore, has provided his name to the band :thumbsup:

you have to respect the past .. and history :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about the old band, we all heard those stories a hundred times... I'm talking about NuGuns. Other than Tommy and Dizzy, no-one from any incarnation of NuGuns has stood the distance. Buckethead left, Finck was fired/left, Brain left, Josh Freese came and went... the list goes on.

Do you think it's Axl's stop-start approach to recording new music that drives these musicians away? Or do these guys view being in the band as just another job? It's not like these guys have any emotional or sentimental attatchment to Guns (certainly not like the old band would).

I sometimes wonder how Axl views the revolving-door policy of the last decade. It must be frustrating - there's a new member in the band with practically every tour these days. Perhaps this is why we've yet to hear anymore material from the CD-era... Maybe Axl doesn't know what to do or how to market material that was written and recorded by members who are no longer around??

Let's reevalute this.

Since 2006, they have had all the same members in it as they do now except for DJ replaced Robin so I think they are pretty steady.

Yeah. Still, since 2001:

Robin -> DJ

Bucket -> Bumble

Tobias -> Fortus

Brain -> Frank

But considering the ex-members backgrounds and track records, I think this was all to be expected.

I think the current lineup is FINALLY a stable one, a lineup I could see being together for the next 10 years.

the funny thing is Axl didn't fire any of these guys either. he may be hell to work with but he doesn't fire band members.

Gilby Clarke?

I personally could care less one way or the other because every time I've seen GNR (3 shows with the new band/members in Toronto) it's honestly been the best fucking Rock concert/experience I've ever witnessed. Hands-down.

Didn't Axl fire that Fuck-Tard of a massive idiotic Crack-Head called Matt Sorum though??? I never liked that arrogant coke-head right from day one. He honestly believes that he's the shit and entitled to live the Idaho Dream. I'll bet anybody here ten bucks that the fucking Crack-Head thinks he's a better drummer than John Bonham. Which is ridiculous. John Bonham IS THE MAN.

I'm not talking about the old band, we all heard those stories a hundred times... I'm talking about NuGuns. Other than Tommy and Dizzy, no-one from any incarnation of NuGuns has stood the distance. Buckethead left, Finck was fired/left, Brain left, Josh Freese came and went... the list goes on.

Do you think it's Axl's stop-start approach to recording new music that drives these musicians away? Or do these guys view being in the band as just another job? It's not like these guys have any emotional or sentimental attatchment to Guns (certainly not like the old band would).

I sometimes wonder how Axl views the revolving-door policy of the last decade. It must be frustrating - there's a new member in the band with practically every tour these days. Perhaps this is why we've yet to hear anymore material from the CD-era... Maybe Axl doesn't know what to do or how to market material that was written and recorded by members who are no longer around??

They are all out to get Axl and Slash is a cancer.

Why can't Slash keep a singer?

So according to some of you, unless you are a founding member of a band you are not a "band member" but rather a hired gun? Once you clowns apply the logic you attack to Axl to other bands, don't you see how ridiculous your statements are?

Why so many lineup changes? Because Axl was starting from scratch and had to go through different players until he assembled the group he liked. And secondly, because musicians want to create music and tour. If GnR would put out more albums then we wouldn't have so many revolving players.

I hope that someday soon Axl decides to just go with the group he has and puts out 2-3 albums and let the chips fall where they may.

90% of groups always have lineup changes i mean look at deep purple, black sabbath, iron maiden, lynyrd skynyrd etc since 2006 this band has been pretty stable and since 2002 you have axl/dizzy/fortus/stinson/pitman have all been in gnr almost 10 years or over 10 years and since 2006 you have bumble/frank so the band has been pretty much stable for atleast 5 years now

Guest siliconmessiah

90% of groups always have lineup changes i mean look at deep purple, black sabbath, iron maiden, lynyrd skynyrd etc since 2006 this band has been pretty stable and since 2002 you have axl/dizzy/fortus/stinson/pitman have all been in gnr almost 10 years or over 10 years and since 2006 you have bumble/frank so the band has been pretty much stable for atleast 5 years now

There are lineup changes, and there are lineup changes.

The clusterfuck that became GNR is not a lineup change in the form that has happened in the bands you mention...

(not to mention that the bands you´re counting up also has a back-catalogue of music that gnr doesn´t come across due to the low release-activity 1999-2011)

Edited by siliconmessiah

The clusterfuck that became GNR is not a lineup change in the form that has happened in the bands you mention...

(not to mention that the bands you´re counting up also has a back-catalogue of music that gnr doesn´t come across due to the low release-activity 1999-2011)

black sabbath has had like 6 singers and 4 drummers how many bass players? the only difference between the bands i mentioned and gnr is the bands i mentioned they somewhat came back to the original lineup or the most memorable lineup like maiden with dickinson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N%27_Roses#Band_members

so, from 1998 they have 4 constant members - Axl, Dizzy, Tommy, Pitman. - that's 13 years now

since 2002 they have 5 constant members - Axl, Dizzy, Tommy, Pitman, Fortus - that's 9 years now

since 2006 they have 7 constant members - Axl, Dizzy, Tommy, Pitman, Fortus, Frank, Ron - that's 5 years now

since 2009 they have the whole band together. that's 2 years now.

well, from the last 5 years they added 1 member, that means that the band is actually a strong hold.

and they have maintain a steady line up.

it depends on how you look at it.

but if you look at it as I do,

you'll realize that the band is tide.

and, since the new guy is working on new GNR material, be that on his own, or with other members,

which it doesn't matter in my point, that means, that he's here to stay, for at least another 2 years,

since we all know who GNR operates when it comes on releasing new music.

I feel that Ashba's style of playing is something GNR was looking for some time now, and they are mean to keep him.

I personally like his style, and together with Ron and Fortus they seem to me to best combination of guitarists GNR had

since Slash and Izzy era.

Dude, the answer would be, because GNR is a Soul Monster and if you as a player are not aware of it, then it could it you up and spit you out. that's it. and the Soul of it is Axl fuckin' Rose so if you got that than you'll be alright at the bosom of the Monster that GNR is.

that's it.

Edited by STARABOSTES

black sabbath has had like 6 singers and 4 drummers how many bass players? the only difference between the bands i mentioned and gnr is the bands i mentioned they somewhat came back to the original lineup or the most memorable lineup like maiden with dickinson

Black Sabbath is a perfect comparison to GNR. The only consistent member has been Iommi and by most peoples account he had no right to keep calling the band Black Sabbath after EVERYONE had left.

The only difference is that he didn't create any Allure with his new bands like Axl did with his...

One BIG HUGE difference between Black Sabbath and GnR is Iommi was ALWAYS the main songwriter of the band. That is a huge discrepancy that is often overlooked. This is why no one really makes a big deal that Megadeth has had many different line ups, or Smashing Pumpkins, or NIN, or Black Sabbath, because the main songwriters are still there. Guns N' Roses were originally 5 parts that all contributed to the sound, now it's only one. Guns stopped being "Guns" after Izzy left, my opinion. Did they have the right to carry on? Sure, but it hasn't been "Guns" since then".

Also to the OP, Guns can't keep a steady line up due to long bouts of inactivity, Axl barely being in the studio, band/label conflict, band/management conflict, inter-band conflict, canceled tours, bouts of uncertainty. etc etc etc etc.

Edited by Young_Gun

Black Sabbath is a perfect comparison to GNR. The only consistent member has been Iommi and by most peoples account he had no right to keep calling the band Black Sabbath after EVERYONE had left.

The only difference is that he didn't create any Allure with his new bands like Axl did with his...

One BIG HUGE difference between Black Sabbath and GnR is Iommi was ALWAYS the main songwriter of the band. That is a huge discrepancy that is often overlooked. This is why no one really makes a big deal that Megadeth has had many different line ups, or Smashing Pumpkins, or NIN, or Black Sabbath, because the main songwriters are still there. Guns N' Roses were originally 5 parts that all contributed to the sound, now it's only one. Guns stopped being "Guns" after Izzy left, my opinion. Did they have the right to carry on? Sure, but it hasn't been "Guns" since then".

Also to the OP, Guns can't keep a steady line up due to long bouts of inactivity, Axl barely being in the studio, band/label conflict, band/management conflict, inter-band conflict, canceled tours, bouts of uncertainty. etc etc etc etc.

THIS

The main difference between say the Pumpkins and GN'R is that Corgan played all the guitar and bass tracks, wrote all the songs and of course sung them. So an album like Zeitgeist was as much the Pumpkins as before as in the studio the Pumpkins was Billy and Jimmy. So you can argue the only major lineup change came when Chamberlain quit (or was fired depending on who you believe).

GN'R on the other hand wasn't like that which is why there is more negativity, hell Corgan still gets it in the neck for James and D'arcy not being in the band even though they didn't write and play on the records.

If Axl did everything in the studio and was the main musical leader there wouldn't be as big an issue but GN'R always was and is a band. So when people say "GN'R is like NIN now" it really isn't.

THIS

The main difference between say the Pumpkins and GN'R is that Corgan played all the guitar and bass tracks, wrote all the songs and of course sung them. So an album like Zeitgeist was as much the Pumpkins as before as in the studio the Pumpkins was Billy and Jimmy. So you can argue the only major lineup change came when Chamberlain quit (or was fired depending on who you believe).

GN'R on the other hand wasn't like that which is why there is more negativity, hell Corgan still gets it in the neck for James and D'arcy not being in the band even though they didn't write and play on the records.

If Axl did everything in the studio and was the main musical leader there wouldn't be as big an issue but GN'R always was and is a band. So when people say "GN'R is like NIN now" it really isn't.

Yep, the only real thing in common with NIN is there is often a difference in the studio line up and the live line up, that is all, Trent still plays most of the instruments/writes on the songs in the studio. Guns is in a category on its own really. Even Dave Mustaine of Megadeth played a decent amount of solos on all the records since the start of the band, so his imprint is not just vocals and rhythm guitar, but also lead, hell he even came up with the bassline to Peace Sells!! Axl wasn't even responsible for some lyrics on their most well known songs!

Guest siliconmessiah

THIS

Yep, the only real thing in common with NIN is there is often a difference in the studio line up and the live line up, that is all, Trent still plays most of the instruments/writes on the songs in the studio. Guns is in a category on its own really. Even Dave Mustaine of Megadeth played a decent amount of solos on all the records since the start of the band, so his imprint is not just vocals and rhythm guitar, but also lead, hell he even came up with the bassline to Peace Sells!! Axl wasn't even responsible for some lyrics on their most well known songs!

A HUGE difference between Guns N´ Roses and all of the bands that you are reffering to, is that these banda have up to date websites with interviews, official messageboards, fanclubs, material and more, and actually seem to exist as bands.

They also releases songs and have plans for the future wich includes more than one gig that probably won´t happen.

Edited by siliconmessiah

One BIG HUGE difference between Black Sabbath and GnR is Iommi was ALWAYS the main songwriter of the band. That is a huge discrepancy that is often overlooked.

Depends on how you define "main songwriter" since Tony Iommi did not wrie the lyrics for BS songs. Tony is a human riff machine but during the Ozzy era Gezzer Butler wrote most if not all the lyrics for BS songs. During the Dio (RIP) years RJD wrote many of the lyrics and the other misc vocalists wrote lyrcs with the exception of Ray Gillen who I read had a hard time writing so I don't know that I would clasify Iommi as the "main songwriter" for BS. Sure he wrote the riffs but not the lyrics.

In any case does anyone still consider the band to be Black Sabbath after Ozzy was sacked? I have great respect for the Dio era but was it really Black Sabbath? and when it was just Iommi in the band I thought he still made some good music but I never considered the band to really be Black Sabbath...Personally I was happy to see the recent short lived reunion band with Dio not called Black Sabbath. And personally it did not seem to effect the music at all as I thought the last album was great....

The name issue will never be resolved in many fans minds so trying to define a set of rules seems impossible.....

I think the Dio era Sabbath was still Sabbath as for the Heaven and Hell album it was the original band minus Ozzy. Also as for not calling the reunion "Black Sabbath" I assume it was for legal reasons but it didn't bother me as it meant nobody went expecting to hear "Paranoid" and it was great seeing the Dio era songs getting played live.

I think the best parallel to the Guns situation is Deep Purple in that you have a band who were/are a band in that they were all involved in the writing process and yet underwent many lineup changes.

I still don't understand why people attached so much to the name of the band. Who cares. It is just a name. GnR isn't some magical mystical name that determines the fate of all mankind. It is a name.

Nothing that Axl does now with this version of the band is going to change the value of the old songs. Shackler's Revenge has nothing to do with Civil War. No matter how much Slash prostitutes himself for money and publicity now is going to change how great of a song Coma or Estranged is.

A group of five guys got together and created four amazing albums in about a 5 year span. Through that five year process they determined that they really didn't get along musically as a band.....inspite of the amazing songs they created.....so they went their seperate ways. That's it. And no amount of whining and crying and bitching and moaning by forum members is going to change that.

Axl's revolving lineups and lack of new music SUCKS. Slash's willingness to play with anybody and everybody SUCKS. But it is THEIR lives and their careers.

I'm not saying we have to kiss their asses or support everything they do. I just don't understand why people would want to bitch and moan 365 days a year, TEN years after that group of guys split up. Makes no sense to me. SOOO many other great bands out there to support, why would anybody want to waste 1 second of their lives following a singer or guitar player that gives them such negative emotions? Slash lovers/Axl haters actually spend more time on this forum bashing Axl than they do in the VR section. That is mindboggling.

• Like 1

In Sabbath Iommi was at least the core member, in GN'R several members were the core in a different way.

But the most important difference between GN'R's lineup changes and all other bands' are that they didn't happen over time after 1993. I mean Matt and Gilby were sort of inducted by older members, bit by bit. It was an evolution. But then when GN'R resurfaced after the UYI tour, it was only Axl and a bunch of strangers all of a sudden. If original members and semi original members (Matt) had left more over time and would have been gradually replaced, I think I would feel as if it was a different story.

Edited by Changes

One BIG HUGE difference between Black Sabbath and GnR is Iommi was ALWAYS the main songwriter of the band. That is a huge discrepancy that is often overlooked.

Depends on how you define "main songwriter" since Tony Iommi did not wrie the lyrics for BS songs. Tony is a human riff machine but during the Ozzy era Gezzer Butler wrote most if not all the lyrics for BS songs. During the Dio (RIP) years RJD wrote many of the lyrics and the other misc vocalists wrote lyrcs with the exception of Ray Gillen who I read had a hard time writing so I don't know that I would clasify Iommi as the "main songwriter" for BS. Sure he wrote the riffs but not the lyrics.

In any case does anyone still consider the band to be Black Sabbath after Ozzy was sacked? I have great respect for the Dio era but was it really Black Sabbath? and when it was just Iommi in the band I thought he still made some good music but I never considered the band to really be Black Sabbath...Personally I was happy to see the recent short lived reunion band with Dio not called Black Sabbath. And personally it did not seem to effect the music at all as I thought the last album was great....

The name issue will never be resolved in many fans minds so trying to define a set of rules seems impossible.....

I think the Dio era Sabbath was still Sabbath as for the Heaven and Hell album it was the original band minus Ozzy. Also as for not calling the reunion "Black Sabbath" I assume it was for legal reasons but it didn't bother me as it meant nobody went expecting to hear "Paranoid" and it was great seeing the Dio era songs getting played live.

I think the best parallel to the Guns situation is Deep Purple in that you have a band who were/are a band in that they were all involved in the writing process and yet underwent many lineup changes.

Actually Iommi amd Butler were the only original members from BS as Vinny Appice replaced Bill Ward on drums..

Black Sabbath had 30 different members over time per the http://www.black-sab...el/surname.html website

Airey, Don

Appice, Vinny

Bevan, Bev

Bordin, Mike

Burt, Jo

Butler, Geezer

Chimes, Terry

Copley, Gordon

Cottle, Laurence

Daisley, Bob

Dio, Ronnie James

Donato, Dave

Gillan, Ian

Gillen, Ray

Halford, Rob

Hughes, Glenn

Iommi, Tony

Keel, Ron

Martin, Tony

Murray, Neil

Nicholls, Geoff

Osbourne, Ozzy

Powell, Cozy

Rondinelli, Bobby

Singer, Eric

Spitz, Dave

Wakeman, Adam

Walker, Dave

Ward, Bill

Woodroffe, Jezz

I agree I think Deep Purple is a better example but I don't consider the current band to really be Deep Purple. For me that band died when Ritchie Blackmore left........

yeah thats a lot. the sabbath/gnr comparison i made was due to the vast number of band members but also that sabbath as well as gnr had band members that are iconic in there way i mean ozzy/iommi/ward/butler and dio are all iconic members to lose one is a felt loss sabbath when ozzy was booted got dio and it fit so the train kept rolling but then ward left and then dio left and they replaced them with ian who i love with purple but didnt fit ward came back and left and then sabbath kind of imploded after that

gnr it just happend quicker and being as big as they were it was all too much

I agree I think Deep Purple is a better example but I don't consider the current band to really be Deep Purple. For me that band died when Ritchie Blackmore left........

even if ppl get past the name thing, they don't really even sound much like Purple

even if ppl get past the name thing, they don't really even sound much like Purple

Chinese Democracy comes to mind.

I think Purple is a good comparison as they are a band who had a very iconic guitar player leave, after which they lost some of the fanbase. They also replaced Blackmore with Steve Morse who has a very different playing style, the same way Bucket and Finck were very different to Slash.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Chinese Democracy comes to mind.

Chinese Democracy sounds like a modern version of guns n roses, you 80's mullethead.

THIS

A HUGE difference between Guns N´ Roses and all of the bands that you are reffering to, is that these banda have up to date websites with interviews, official messageboards, fanclubs, material and more, and actually seem to exist as bands.

They also releases songs and have plans for the future wich includes more than one gig that probably won´t happen.

Since you got that crystal ball of your's, when will GN'R release their next album?