Everyone regards VMA 2002 as a bad performance ...

GnR Chris

I'm rewatching the VMA performance from '02. I remember it being lackluster when I saw it, but now? I think Axl's vocal performance is better than what I've seen from the current tour.

And taking into account he was running all over the place during "Jungle" with no breaks or guitar solos in the performance, it's no wonder he was out of breath. I think people were hard on him and the new band because it was the public's first look at the new look lineup with strange frontmen. People couldn't accept it. Fortus looks awesome btw.

I mean, do we just expect less these days? I would put the VMAs over any of the current shows he's currently played.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rewatching the VMA performance from '02. I remember it being lackluster when I saw it, but now? I think Axl's vocal performance is better than what I've seen from the current tour.

And taking into account he was running all over the place during "Jungle" with no breaks or guitar solos in the performance, it's no wonder he was out of breath. I think people were hard on him and the new band because it was the public's first look at the new look lineup with strange frontmen. People couldn't accept it. Fortus looks awesome btw.

I mean, do we just expect less these days? I would put the VMAs over any of the current shows he's currently played.

It was awesome.. I still get goosebumps when I see it.. I remember I was in high school when it happened and I freaked the fuck out!!! I was literally screaming and jumping up and down like a little kid on Christmas! The band sounded awesome especially brain on drums!

It was awesome.. I still get goosebumps when I see it.. I remember I was in high school when it happened and I freaked the fuck out!!! I was literally screaming and jumping up and down like a little kid on Christmas! The band sounded awesome especially brain on drums!

Me too! I was on vacation so I wasn't privy to any of the rumors that they'd be playing. I was only half-paying attention to the VMAs. It was on in the room. Then when Jimmy Fallon lost his shit, I about lost my shit.

Its high octane stuff.. Axl runs out of steam all too soon. Bucket + Robin > Ron + Dj Ash

What was all that stuff about taking requests ? - did they perform more songs - not aired ?

The energy was through the roof. That was pretty awesome. I can get past the performance because of this.

But I don't know how anyone can say the performance was great. We've all seen Axl do much better. What was he back then? 40? Young enough to still put on a show with nothing compromised from when he was in his prime. He should have been able to run around and not miss a beat.

The other failure was that they did not capitalize on the exposure. They should not have gone on MTV without an album all but ready to land on store shelves.

On the whole, it was a cool moment poorly executed.

Me too! I was on vacation so I wasn't privy to any of the rumors that they'd be playing. I was only half-paying attention to the VMAs. It was on in the room. Then when Jimmy Fallon lost his shit, I about lost my shit.

+1

Bad Axl's voice performance but emotions, atmosphere was incredible. I miss Robin and Brain....

The 2002 VMA's was still the actual Nu-Guns vision, so I respect that.

Axl kind of floundered it all with his vocals but just look and listen to everyone else there.

theres a definate thing going on.

its like U2 from its 'POP'-era on steroids visually, and could sound amazing when you take into account the epic scope of madagascar there, and OMG before that.

but what happened?

everything went to fuck.

2006 axl was singing with more spirit, but other than that it was already a washed out copout and a fail-o-rama.

It was and is still to believed to be the best VMA moment to date!

the energy was really on 11....

and Falcon's little hints were also pretty cool.

and then it just hit the floor!

I don't care what people say about that performance... but there were spots really spot on.

Axl's scream during Jungle..Bring you to your knees!

Madagascar was just perfect!

I hope one day they'll do it again the vma's ama's or whatever.

in 2002 when rock was like DEAD! he put on that great show and people went wild... what do you think that says about the condition rock was in then !

I barely knew about the forums then and had only that afternoon seen the rumors going around but didn't believe them. I was at a friends house and they happened to have it on when Fallon came out and said "If you've heard any internet rumors, they are true!"

I left immediately so I could go home and geek out in the privacy of my own home. That night I thought it was incredible because of the energy but I too couldn't stop noticing the fidgeting with ear monitors. I still enjoy watching it because of how genuinely excited the whole place gets after Fallon's intro. Especially him!

It probably won't happen, but that would be the PERFECT show for Guns to go and do for US tour PR. Fallon would let them do whatever they want and they could just kill it.

Oh yeah, anybody who thinks those vocals are better than anything since needs to share whatever the hell they just smoked.

I have to say Axl was not all that bad during the 2002 VMA's but it was not a good performance vocally, his energy was there but the vocals suffered because of it.

I remember my brother calling me and saying he seen Axl and Bucket on the VMA's and when they played I was just very into the moment and the awesomeness of Axl being back on stage where I could see him!!!

Yes rio was not nearlly as good as the VMA's but I think he was just sick and done what he had to do to gut out the show. But who knows.

Everything you said.

2001-2002 was the worst time to be a GNR fan IMO.

Nothing about that performance is good. Not Madagascar. Nothing.

2006-2011 Axl dominates that performance in every single way. The band looked like a complete joke back then. I have no idea how anyone likes that time period. Anything from it.

I enjoyed it, especially madagascar. His vocals on that are 100x better than how hes done it live post 2006-2011

Yes I really like how sang Maddy at the VMA's.

I wish the album version was sang in that vocal range insteed of the low depressed vocal we have on the album. I know the song is thought to be about lifes struggles but the VMA vocals kick the vocals on the album hands down, end of story!!