How do casual rock/music fans you know view CD?

Vincent Vega

How do the casual rock fans, or even casual music fans you know Chinese Democracy? I mean your friends, family, co-workers, lovers, whatever...People who aren't at all die hards? Talk about the receptions that CD and it's songs got with people you know here...

Myself...

My parents liked GN'R in the late 80s/early 90s...They thought CD was just "alright", some good songs, some bad.

My sister, who was a BIG TIME rock fan in the 80s/90s, who was into and saw GN'R, Metallica, Type O Negative at their height, has apathy toward GNR and CD today...The last GN'R related products she bought I think were TSI, which she feels sucked, and Snakepit, which she liked...She has no interest, has total apathy...

My girlfriend LOVES several songs off CD: Better, Shackler's, Rhiad (it reminds of Zep's Immigrant Song), Catcher in the Rye (found it pretty and relaxing), LOVED If the World (it's probably her favorite song off CD)...Liked the rest. She prefers CD to VR.

A friend of mine who is a big rock fan and a casual GN'R fan feels CD wasn't worth the long wait, wasn't worth "firing Slash for".

Edited by Indigo Miser

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here nobody knows Chinese Democracy exists. Just a casual fan that used to be a friend of mine, liked Better but he stated that the record was clearly not Gn'R. My uncle who went to the 3 nights of Tokyo in 1992 and 1993 and also the one I stole the AFD cassette from thought the record was fuckin' shit (exactly his words lol).

Ah, well... That's ok, I guess. They have the right to like/ dislike whatever they want.

Most of my friends aren't rock fans. They just know Slash wasn't in CD and that's the reason they say they don't wanna listen.

Edited by Chewbacca

I think most people around me don't know CD at all; just my brother and a couple of friends and they don't like it. To be honest, some of my friends don't even know there is a band called GNR. :lol:

(Yes, I should look for new friends, I know)

My buddy Aaron absolutely loves CD. Whenever we're going somewhere he always asks where that GNR CD is at. He cranks up Riad and Scraped like they're going out of style. I think he recently bought the record if I'm not mistaken.

My friend's co-worker bought Chinese Democracy and hated it. My friend then gave me his copy. I must say my cousin enjoyed it. Other than that I have no clue because it doesn't get any radio play at all. It had very little impact on popular culture once it was released.

Casual music listeners that I know see CD as a regular normal album. In no way have I heard someone in real life cupcake me and say "OMGDZ it SUX&*%$ BRING BACK SPLASH"

i had a friend say to me that it sucked i asked him to name 3 songs and he couldnt :fuckyou:

up here in new england it seems alot of people have the album i go over to a friends house and they are playing it but new england seems to love gnr :wub:

My friend, who's into all kinds of rock music, actually likes CD. He likes the old stuff, the new stuff, Slash's solo stuff, Velvet Revolver and Sixx AM. He has no bias at all. (And no "he also has no taste"-jokes.) Cool guy.

Edited by jekylhyde

..away from this forum, I am the only person I know that owns CD. I don't talk about it with my friends. If I'm driving, its not the sort of CD I play in the car when I have people in the car with me. To be honest, the album isn't what I would call car friendly. By that, I mean all the little details are lost in the confines of a car with the engine running, traveling along the road. Stick CD in the CD player, unless you know the opening song, you could be forgiven for thinking the CD isn't playing, it takes that long for Chonese Democracy to get going. Its a slow start to the album. Some songs work better than others. Madgascar and The Blues are two of the better tracks to play in a car.

Edited by vaida

Little while ago, my dad asked me: can you maybe copy a GN'R cd for me, so I can listen to it in the car. I asked him which one and he said: that last one. he might not have known the exact name, he seems to like CD the most. and he likes GN'R, but is not a 'huge' fan

Little while ago, my dad asked me: can you maybe copy a GN'R cd for me, so I can listen to it in the car. I asked him which one and he said: that last one. he might not have known the exact name, he seems to like CD the most. and he likes GN'R, but is not a 'huge' fan

yeah my brother and my dad were like this, they were big haters i had my cd in the case i come in and my brother was listening to it in the cd player :lol:

Most of my friends bought it/downloaded it, like it, or at least liked some songs. They seem to view it the way they would any other album - some of it they liked, some they didn't, I don't know if they listened to it anymore. Nobody seemed to hate it, except one friend, but he's on Team Slash.

Nickleback, why does their name crop up so often here on MyGN'R Forum ?

I'm no fan of Nickleback, although to be fair to them, they had a huge hit single that the radio stations played to death. Sadly Chinese Democracy failed to contain a single hit single. I guess Axl knew this, which is why no music video was ever created.

99% of my friends listen to metal and rock. And they all think CD is hands down the worst album GnR ever made. A couple of decent songs here and there, but nothing to write home about. They feel it wasn't worth waiting for such a long time for such a crappy album.