Why do people like Pearl Jam so much

Dan H.

Ten, VS and Vitalogy are great...the rest of their stuff not so much.

I really don't like pearl jam that much. Think they're extremely overrated. But i like yield better than vitalogy. Tens pretty solid.

I agree with on Yield being better than Vitalogy.......

but Ten is not just pretty solid....

It is, A Greatest Album of Alltime!!

I wasn't musically aware in the early 90s since I was like 4 I think, but over the past couple of years ive gotten into PJ massively. I think part of the appeal to me is the classic rock kinda thing they hve going on, whilst still retaining some punky thing. I think Eddie Vedder said he loved the who, and yeah I think you can hear that. I just really enjoy their music, their style, what they have to say etc. One of the few bands I actively follow alongside gnr... So that's pretty high praise I guess :)

I can see why people don't like then though, but I mean I can imagine that we as a group have the ability to understand why people don't like Guns you know! Music taste is so subjective, quite a personal thing. Personally I prefer PJ to Nirvana, but I see that there are many who like it te other way around. And that's cool.

xXx

Edited by bucketmaster101

Maybe they are the same people who like baseball. :crazy:

No, I can confirm that is not the case as I love baseball and can't stand Pearl Jam

But yeah they really are one of the worst bands I've ever heard, instrumentally they're nothing special and I'll never be able to understand how anybody could hear Eddie Vedder and think "man what a great singer"

Guest Len B'stard

No, I can confirm that is not the case as I love baseball and can't stand Pearl Jam

But yeah they really are one of the worst bands I've ever heard, instrumentally they're nothing special and I'll never be able to understand how anybody could hear Eddie Vedder and think "man what a great singer"

Yes boy, tell em! :D

you don't even like Ten? I dislike most of their albums to be honest, but Ten is a really good record.

hard to hate, imo. Yield is also decent..

you don't even like Ten? I dislike most of their albums to be honest, but Ten is a really good record.

hard to hate, imo. Yield is also decent..

I never got into it man, I only really gave Pearl Jam a shot because I love Matt Cameron's drumming, Black and Jeremy aren't bad songs but I just couldn't sit down and listen to a whole Pearl Jam album without wanting to change it :shrugs:

Eddie is the killer for me, they say a singer either makes or breaks a band, with Pearl Jam Eddie definitely breaks it for me

I like Pearl Jam and get why they're popular in concert, but to call them overrated is kind of silly. I think what they did by shifting from music video guys to being road dogs was commendable on their part, trying to keep ticket prices reasonable, and feel they really put a lot of work into their shows, which have gone 3-4 hours some nights, no opening act. It's definitely "an evening with".

They're in the same league with Springsteen and Petty as far as live concerts go.

It's still a pretty shitty way of getting the lead singer gig for that band.

You mean with Andrew Wood and that?

Yeah, the whole being on the verge of being nationally known and having that happen. I know MLB is one of those "what if" bands, but I listen to them and I'm hearing a band a little too close to Janes Addiction for me. I don't know how the songs that made it on Ten and Vs would've worked with Andy Wood singing them. Temple of the Dog was probably as close to a MLB follow up as we'll ever get to hear.

It is interesting to go back to listen to bands that didn't quite make it from the late 80s and early 90s. Sometimes the bands just fell prey to the worst of 80s production, or never had a chance to develop and were cut from the label.

Pearl Jam is one of the best recording and live acts of all time.

There was a tribute to the Who not long ago where PJ did Reign O'er Me, it was absolutely fantastic. When they do covers of bands they grew up listening to, they always sound great if not better than the original.

If you've never seen em live, go see em. Every show is unique, and they NEVER do the same setlist. They sound better live to, which is always cool.

If your a fan and have never heard the demos for Ten, do yourself a favor and check them out, they are awesome.

My only knock on them is they became to political both on and off the stage. That's always a turnoff for me.

Yeah, the whole being on the verge of being nationally known and having that happen. I know MLB is one of those "what if" bands, but I listen to them and I'm hearing a band a little too close to Janes Addiction for me. I don't know how the songs that made it on Ten and Vs would've worked with Andy Wood singing them. Temple of the Dog was probably as close to a MLB follow up as we'll ever get to heart.

It is interesting to go back to listen to bands that didn't quite make it from the late 80s and early 90s. Sometimes the bands just fell prey to the worst of 80s production, or never had a chance to develop and were cut from the label.

They became a totally different band when EV joined. As good as Andrew Wood was, especially as a writer, once Eddie became comfortable it was a whole new level for them. I don't think MLB would have been as successful. They did have a few songs that would have chartered though, like Stardog Champion and Stargazer, few others to. Apple is a pretty solid effort, but Ten is great.

Yeah, the whole being on the verge of being nationally known and having that happen. I know MLB is one of those "what if" bands, but I listen to them and I'm hearing a band a little too close to Janes Addiction for me. I don't know how the songs that made it on Ten and Vs would've worked with Andy Wood singing them. Temple of the Dog was probably as close to a MLB follow up as we'll ever get to heart.

They became a totally different band when EV joined. As good as Andrew Wood was, especially as a writer, once Eddie became comfortable it was a whole new level for them. I don't think MLB would have been as successful. They did have a few songs that would have chartered though, like Stardog Champion and Stargazer, few others to. Apple is a pretty solid effort, but Ten is great.

Vedder was also writing some pretty dark stuff that he balanced out with surfing and a stable relationship, trying his damnedest not to eclipse the band. I think being able to let each other do outside projects, not going along with what execs thought was good for them. They knew if it meant failure and back to the clubs, at least it would be on their own terms. A lot of people would LOVE to have a "Ten", "AFD", or a "Nevermind" and never have to work again.

It's a shame some of the most talented people out there also came with demons, and it's only his close friends that saw what it was doing to Andy. I think Layne Staley functioned well but it was obvious he was struggling. Shannon Hoon was letting it affect the shows. Weiland is one of those guys who seems to have it together, but if he showed up in the obituaries, no one would be shocked about it.