Why do people like Pearl Jam so much

Dan H.

They're in the same league with Springsteen and Petty as far as live concerts go.

Sorry to derail the thread, but is Tom Petty known as a great live act like Springsteen and Pearl Jam? They're headlining one of the days at a music festival around here later this month and I was skeptical about staying for them (Petty and the Heartbreakers). I'll have to reconsider if you put them up with Springsteen and Pearl Jam as a live act.

They're in the same league with Springsteen and Petty as far as live concerts go.

Sorry to derail the thread, but is Tom Petty known as a great live act like Springsteen and Pearl Jam? They're headlining one of the days at a music festival around here later this month and I was skeptical about staying for them (Petty and the Heartbreakers). I'll have to reconsider if you put them up with Springsteen and Pearl Jam as a live act.

I mean he isn't a jump around on speakers type of act but the band's always been good live.

Guest Len B'stard

Why don't you like them or most other grunge Lenny?

Cuz it's just fuckin' boring shite that ain't interesting by and large, most of it. Long hair, flannel shirts, jeans, looking like a mopey bastard, muddy guitar sound, it's not interesting per se unless you got something else to your schtick. It was meant to be this fuckin' alternative movement and it sounded like the more dire fuckin' classic rock bollocks in the end. Nirvana are brilliant because Nirvana are brilliant but that don't mean to say if 500 people start doing what they are doing it makes them fuckin' good. There was a couple of bands there i liked, Nirvana, Mudhoney but apart from that the bands that like, influenced the bands who made up grunge were a lot more interesting, The Minutemen, The Meat Puppets, Scratch Acid, Big Black, The Replacements etc were fuckin' brilliant.

And the absolute worst of the offenders are bands like Pearl Jam, they are just like The Eagles for the 90s, they are the biggest load of fuckin' tripe i have ever heard in my life.

I, as a fan, (and this is something I think I've written here before) actually find at least half of their work quite boring. Basically, after Vs pretty much every rocker they've made sucked (with one or two exceptions which are just average). They've got this whole punk revival thing going and it fucking sucks you know. I understand that those are the king of songs they enjoy, that's what they all grew up with, but I fucking hate all that stuff man. It drags down their albums and it doesn't sound particularly good live either. They do all these excellent ballads, or slow and heavy and very atmospheric songs (Nothing As It Seems, Who You Are), they have some brilliant pop songs of the kind I wish they would do more (Wishlist, Mankind, Unthought Known), and they still have about half their albums as if they were straight out of some teenage early 80s garage punk band album. They're drawing so heavily from a genre that is terrible - I generally skip about half the albums. I wish they'd gone the U2 way trying some more modern pop rock, and used the template of the ballads from Yield rather than make songs like World Wide Suicide or Gonna See My Friend. And live too - "Oh, they're doing a cover! Hopefully it's something good. Nope, its' the Dead Kennedys. Well maybe it'll still happen to be good. Nope, predictably shit!"

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

The problem with being a sellout is once you've got em all on-side its difficult to revert to your roots because you end up with reactions like the above :lol:

I, as a fan, (and this is something I think I've written here before) actually find at least half of their work quite boring. Basically, after Vs pretty much every rocker they've made sucked (with one or two exceptions which are just average). They've got this whole punk revival thing going and it fucking sucks you know. I understand that those are the king of songs they enjoy, that's what they all grew up with, but I fucking hate all that stuff man. It drags down their albums and it doesn't sound particularly good live either. They do all these excellent ballads, or slow and heavy and very atmospheric songs (Nothing As It Seems, Who You Are), they have some brilliant pop songs of the kind I wish they would do more (Wishlist, Mankind, Unthought Known), and they still have about half their albums as if they were straight out of some teenage early 80s garage punk band album. They're drawing so heavily from a genre that is terrible - I generally skip about half the albums. I wish they'd gone the U2 way trying some more modern pop rock, and used the template of the ballads from Yield rather than make songs like World Wide Suicide or Gonna See My Friend. And live too - "Oh, they're doing a cover! Hopefully it's something good. Nope, its' the Dead Kennedys. Well maybe it'll still happen to be good. Nope, predictably shit!"

I actually agree with all of this, except I don't hate garage rock/punk/whatever. But Pearl Jam sucks when they do it. The songs like "Nothing As It Seems" (their best song imo) are what they're good at.

• 2 years later...

Pearl Jam, IMHO, combined the best of hard rock stylings with the new Alt rock/grunge sensibilities, image and rebellion. They were, in my opinion, the GN'R of the 1990s, only sans the rants or drama. They were on the verge in 1993-1994 of being bigger than any band in the world (I mean, Vs, without ANY promotion sold almost a million copies in one week, the fastest ship ever), and what did Pearl Jam do? They could've pushed that album with massive promotion and a mega tour, making it do 30 million or more. Instead, they stopped doing interviews, stopped making videos, and unlike most of the Alt bands of the time, actually shirked and even took on the establishment. Rather than doing what Metallica did when they fought Napster - fighting the fans - Pearl Jam went to war with Ticketmaster over the fans' and over ticket prices, which is real rebellion.

Pearl Jam's music stands apart because of a combination of the power, soul and spirit of Eddie's voice, Mike and Stone's bluesy, yet understated guitars and their versatility and interplay, Jeff's bass always creating a great pocket and almost a room for groove with whichever drummer they had at any given point.

Eddie Vedder was the real "anti-rockstar", but not in a corny way or in a half hearted way, he was the real deal. They could've embraced their massive fame, remained the biggest band in the world if they sucked up to the Establishment, played by the rules, made videos and kept making albums like Ten or Vs. over and over. But they chose instead to be this generation's Grateful Dead, shirking mega sales for more artistic music, and a massive monstrous following, for a medium sized group of hardcore supporters. There is something to be said for that. Where Axl Rose or Kurt Cobain might've talked smack about the Establishment, Pearl Jam actually tried to work against it instead of using it while bashing it.

Nirvana worked against it by what they stood for and espoused. Most of this faux activist crap is just a bunch of bullshit posturing and self promotion if you ask me. You're not gonna change things by being musical politicians, its why bands like The Sex Pistols changed a shitload more than The Clash, as much as i adore them too.

Being an honest, heartfelt rock band has longevity. There's no hyperbole like with Nirvana or AIC. I feel like PJ are more like the audience, there's less to be ashamed off. Also they write great songs and play authentic rock. it's kind of quirky in a way, there's a lot music so you can dive in. It does have that yearning quality of American songwriting though. Neil Young, Bruce, Foo Fighters.

Nirvana worked against it by what they stood for and espoused. Most of this faux activist crap is just a bunch of bullshit posturing and self promotion if you ask me. You're not gonna change things by being musical politicians, its why bands like The Sex Pistols changed a shitload more than The Clash, as much as i adore them too.

But with PJ, it wasn't really faux activist IMO. I mean, their war against Ticketmaster hurt the band more than anything else, made it almost impossible for them to tour, it wasn't really a stunt. They also tried to take the music rather directly to a smaller set of fans instead of all the hanger-on, bandwagon fans, playing tiny venues like college campuses when they were the most popular rock band on Earth. And in 1993, releasing their massively anticipated followup album with no videos, no promotion, no interviews backing it up was a big thing. They let the music literally speak for itself.

I'd argue that PJ did change a shitload. I mean all these post-'grunge', alt bands, they all tried to sound like Eddie Vedder. You don't really hear a lot of post 1994 bands trying to ape Kurt Cobain's vocals or his guitar sound or style. But you have bands like Creed, Nickleback, even STP early in their career who all made their fame by at first trying to sound like the next Pearl Jam.

I think its too hard to explain why Pearl Jam is great to the point where you're actually convincing people. I think what was so cool about them is they kept evolving and they kept changing. They required your attention if you were gonna stick with them, but I agree with those already saying it that they were ruining the success the already achieved but in a way that was completely genuine. It didn't feel like a stunt. What also helped was the music, once you let it sink in, was also amazing for awhile even though they were changing their styles. They truly don't have a bad album in their first 4. Vs. is a bit of a continuation of Ten but its kind of darker. Vitalogy is another step but its got great stuff like Spin The Black Circle, Betterman, Not For Me. No Code is even further and kind of all over the place but it just somehow works. Whether they planned those albums to be so good or they just got lucky, the bottom line is once you got around to them, each record was arguably better than the last.

The other obvious thing is how passionate they were about their fans. It sounds hokey, but it means a lot and they did all they ever possibly could for their fans. Its why they've survived. Because they always had a reason for everything they were doing. To me, its why I never saw them as bad guys, and why I think 15 years down the line, people were still discovering them cause you knew who they were and you held nothing against them. They did the Ticketmaster thing because it was unfair, as it still is. They did real fan club deals with great exclusives. They embraced the bootlegging craze and became the go-to examples of how to do that right. Everything about how they've progressed just feels so adult and logical and correct. I think its why they are very respected. Cause its still the same guys and they play dynamic setlists that excite them and their fans. They did what is kind of the impossible which is evolve but still seem like themselves. Obviously they've had their missteps and I don't like every album or every decision they've ever made, but I think what I like about them so much is if I ever wanted to start a band I'd want to take their path because they accomplished everything genuinely and are rightly respected because of it.

• Like 3

I think its too hard to explain why Pearl Jam is great to the point where you're actually convincing people. I think what was so cool about them is they kept evolving and they kept changing. They required your attention if you were gonna stick with them, but I agree with those already saying it that they were ruining the success the already achieved but in a way that was completely genuine. It didn't feel like a stunt. What also helped was the music, once you let it sink in, was also amazing for awhile even though they were changing their styles. They truly don't have a bad album in their first 4. Vs. is a bit of a continuation of Ten but its kind of darker. Vitalogy is another step but its got great stuff like Spin The Black Circle, Betterman, Not For Me. No Code is even further and kind of all over the place but it just somehow works. Whether they planned those albums to be so good or they just got lucky, the bottom line is once you got around to them, each record was arguably better than the last.

The other obvious thing is how passionate they were about their fans. It sounds hokey, but it means a lot and they did all they ever possibly could for their fans. Its why they've survived. Because they always had a reason for everything they were doing. To me, its why I never saw them as bad guys, and why I think 15 years down the line, people were still discovering them cause you knew who they were and you held nothing against them. They did the Ticketmaster thing because it was unfair, as it still is. They did real fan club deals with great exclusives. They embraced the bootlegging craze and became the go-to examples of how to do that right. Everything about how they've progressed just feels so adult and logical and correct. I think its why they are very respected. Cause its still the same guys and they play dynamic setlists that excite them and their fans. They did what is kind of the impossible which is evolve but still seem like themselves. Obviously they've had their missteps and I don't like every album or every decision they've ever made, but I think what I like about them so much is if I ever wanted to start a band I'd want to take their path because they accomplished everything genuinely and are rightly respected because of it.

Great post.

I only started listening to Pearl Jam last year, I'd already been a gigantic fan of Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Screaming Trees and came across Mike's work in Mad Season, literally from the first record I heard, Ten obv, I was absolutely blown away by the power of each track. First track I heard was Once... incredible resonance. Vedder has one fucking dynamite laden screech. The guy is ridiculous, just watch Unplugged and try and claim this man don't have something indescribable about him.

• Like 1

Something about Vedder's voice, and Vedder himself (to a lesser degree), makes me not like Pearl Jam - for the most part. Every few years though, I'll hear one of their hits, really digg it and play some more PJ. But it only lasts for a day or two. Something, like I said, about Vedder/his voice...maybe the lyrics too...it's too "something", I dunno. It's nice in small doses, very occasionally.

For me though, there is one exception. One Pearl Jam song for which all the preceding doesn't apply. I listen to this song a lot. Video's kinda cool too.

That riff is off the charts, as is Vedder's singing. Only thing I don't like is that the lyrics were inspired by that Daniel Quinn book.

Edited by Brunzopolis

Because they are fucking awesome and Eddie Vedder is a music god. I mean seriously listen to this. The guy could read the phone book and it would sound amazing.

Edited by Bono

I wasn't suggesting they were stunts, just that they were battles that you can't win and only really serve to make you out to be some kind of third rate martyrs to nothing in particular.

They could've won the ticketmaster battle had other major acts had the balls to join them. Nobody backed them up though because they were all chicken shits. It's like when people say Bono can't save the world. He acknowledges that and always says "I know I can't save the world, but WE can" . Pearl Jam just needed some support and sadly nobody stepped up. But who gives a fuck if they could win their battles or not. If you don't stand for something what's the point in anything. You don't choose your beliefs based on if you can win. That's why it's hilarious when people preach that bands shouldn't speak up about things and they should just play music. Bands that matter speak up and their music reflects it.

Edited by Bono

I wasn't suggesting they were stunts, just that they were battles that you can't win and only really serve to make you out to be some kind of third rate martyrs to nothing in particular.

They could've won the ticketmaster battle had other major acts had the balls to join them. Nobody backed them up though because they were all chicen shits. It's like when people say Bono can't save the world. He acknowledges that and always says "I know I can't save the world, but WE can" . Pearl Jam just needed some support and sadly noboyd stepped up. But who gives a fuck if they could win their battles or not. If you don't stand for something you'll stand for nothing. That's why it's hilarious when people preach that bands shouldn't speak up about things and just play music. Bands that matter speak up and their music reflects it.

I was being a lot less specific than the ticketmaster battle. And all this WE can change the world stuff, its cute and everything but lets face it, no one among we gives a shit so its just pissing in the wind really and at worst can be interpreted as self aggrandisement.

Great post.

I only started listening to Pearl Jam last year, I'd already been a gigantic fan of Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Screaming Trees and came across Mike's work in Mad Season, literally from the first record I heard, Ten obv, I was absolutely blown away by the power of each track. First track I heard was Once... incredible resonance. Vedder has one fucking dynamite laden screech. The guy is ridiculous, just watch Unplugged and try and claim this man don't have something indescribable about him.

They know how to pace a 3 hour show and should try to get out and see them while they're still able to deliver. There's no reason why they won't be around for another 20 years but it can't be taken for granted.

• Like 1