Why do people like Pearl Jam so much

Dan H.

I wasn't suggesting they were stunts, just that they were battles that you can't win and only really serve to make you out to be some kind of third rate martyrs to nothing in particular.

They could've won the ticketmaster battle had other major acts had the balls to join them. Nobody backed them up though because they were all chicen shits. It's like when people say Bono can't save the world. He acknowledges that and always says "I know I can't save the world, but WE can" . Pearl Jam just needed some support and sadly noboyd stepped up. But who gives a fuck if they could win their battles or not. If you don't stand for something you'll stand for nothing. That's why it's hilarious when people preach that bands shouldn't speak up about things and just play music. Bands that matter speak up and their music reflects it.

I was being a lot less specific than the ticketmaster battle. And all this WE can change the world stuff, its cute and everything but lets face it, no one among we gives a shit so its just pissing in the wind really and at worst can be interpreted as self aggrandisement.

So, why, then, is Kurt Cobain taking on the media in word, saying the same shit every "rebel" since Elvis or so has said, admiral and courageous and a sign that he wasn't just some middle class rocker person but a modern day Lennon, but Pearl Jam actually taking a huge corporation to court and trying to literally change something is just 'being a third rate martyr.' Why is Kurt Cobain a first rate martyr but Pearl Jam ain't?

• Like 1

They're so bland and boring.

Almost worse than Metallica as far as bad bands go.

Seriously though, Pearl Jam is one of the worst bands of all time, how is it possible that so many people on this forum enjoy them?

http://www.mygnrforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/shrugs.gif

Lol.

In the Kayne read topic you call people that don't like your favorite artist close minded dipshits. But here you start a topic just to bash a band that has a huge following and was also pretty critically acclaimed and respected.

It's funny how you and a few others operate in the music topics. You act like your musical taste is a level above the common man's. You guys know The Truth about music and anybody that disagrees are just close minded dipshits.

Talk about being close minded and not accepting or having tolerance for other people's opinions.

I was like that as well......when I was 13. Then I grew up and realized just because I loved something didn't mean it was better or worse than what other people loved. And I saw how silly people look that think their tastes are better than other people's.

• Like 1

Seriously though, Pearl Jam is one of the worst bands of all time, how is it possible that so many people on this forum enjoy them?

Lol.

In the Kayne read topic you call people that don't like your favorite artist close minded dipshits. But here you start a topic just to bash a band that has a huge following and was also pretty critically acclaimed and respected.

It's funny how you and a few others operate in the music topics. You act like your musical taste is a level above the common man's. You guys know The Truth about music and anybody that disagrees are just close minded dipshits.

Talk about being close minded and not accepting or having tolerance for other people's opinions.

I was like that as well......when I was 13. Then I grew up and realized just because I loved something didn't mean it was better or worse than what other people loved. And I saw how silly people look that think their tastes are better than other people's.

He also says "A View to a Kill" is the worst Bond theme.

Lol.

This was YEARS ago, and i was a much bigger asshole. I grew up a little and learned a little, and now i dont post threads like this anymore. i mean sure, you win

I wasn't suggesting they were stunts, just that they were battles that you can't win and only really serve to make you out to be some kind of third rate martyrs to nothing in particular.

They could've won the ticketmaster battle had other major acts had the balls to join them. Nobody backed them up though because they were all chicen shits. It's like when people say Bono can't save the world. He acknowledges that and always says "I know I can't save the world, but WE can" . Pearl Jam just needed some support and sadly noboyd stepped up. But who gives a fuck if they could win their battles or not. If you don't stand for something you'll stand for nothing. That's why it's hilarious when people preach that bands shouldn't speak up about things and just play music. Bands that matter speak up and their music reflects it.

I was being a lot less specific than the ticketmaster battle. And all this WE can change the world stuff, its cute and everything but lets face it, no one among we gives a shit so its just pissing in the wind really and at worst can be interpreted as self aggrandisement.

No people do give a shit but it's hard to hear them over the ones who don't and the ones who do but say "what's the point"

So, why, then, is Kurt Cobain taking on the media in word, saying the same shit every "rebel" since Elvis or so has said, admiral and courageous and a sign that he wasn't just some middle class rocker person but a modern day Lennon, but Pearl Jam actually taking a huge corporation to court and trying to literally change something is just 'being a third rate martyr.' Why is Kurt Cobain a first rate martyr but Pearl Jam ain't?

Kurt Cobain is a media creation. He claimed to be everything Pearl Jam was. They stopped doing interviews, they stopped making music videos. NIravan.... he kept doing interviews, he kept making music videos each one more elaborate than the last. Kurt Cobain thirved off the media. His entire persona was media driven. Pearl Jam actually shunned the whole thing. Kurt taled the talked. Pearl Jam walked the walk. That's what's hilarious about the whole thing. Your question is bang on. Why is Kurt this messiah of anit establishment and Pearl Jam are third rate matyrs? If anthing it's the other way around.

No people do give a shit but it's hard to hear them over the ones who don't and the ones who do but say "what's the point"

Kurt Cobain is a media creation. He claimed to be everything Pearl Jam was. They stopped doing interviews, they stopped making music videos. NIravan.... he kept doing interviews, he kept making music videos each one more elaborate than the last. Kurt Cobain thirved off the media. His entire persona was media driven. Pearl Jam actually shunned the whole thing. Kurt taled the talked. Pearl Jam walked the walk. That's what's hilarious about the whole thing. Your question is bang on. Why is Kurt this messiah of anit establishment and Pearl Jam are third rate matyrs? If anthing it's the other way around.

This. He claimed to be anti-media, while using it to create a cult of Kurt. He loved the media.

As far as Len's post where he says he never claimed Kurt was like Lennon or this or that....

Here:

Fuck you, why should he [sign with a major label]? Why should any band? So basically, you have a dilemma, you like making music, you wanna get your music heard, you didn't like the concept of fame, maybe you sacrifice one for the other but how dare you suggest that any sort of art thats different or says something outside of the usual mainstream twaddle should willfully ghettoize themselves and just stay in their little holes and never get heard, well then whats the point of being an artist, you might as well pack it in, you make art for it to be seen/heard/appreciated. And if you don't like the way a certain thing in your world is configured and structured you go about changing it, not accepting it and hiding from the reality of it, what an preposterous proposition. If you don't agree with the way something is structured, you go about changing it, even if it is an entire industry and hey, lookee lookee, Kurt succeeded, didn't he, for a little while there, major record labels were clamouring for alternative bands, bands that, until the whole exposion, wouldn't get a fuckin look in....

See, Kurt talked the talk of this. Pearl Jam walked the walk. They signed with a major label record. And then actually told the major label record, and Ticket Master, to fuck off, and guess what? They still got heard. The music for itself. Black was one of their biggest songs, it charted high on rock radio despite the band refusing to release it as a single. Vitalogy and Vs. sold as many times the amount of In Utero despite having no promotion, interviews or videos backing them...In Utero failed to pass 1x Platinum until Kurt offed himself even with videos, interviews and photoshoots.

"If you don't like the way a certain thing is you go about changing it." Except Kurt didn't do that. He played the establishment's game, while claiming to be against it, basically a less obvious Axl Rose. Whereas Pearl Jam actually did try to change things, and tried to do things on their own terms - not the industry's terms - and you called them 'third rate maryrs for it.' Kurt played the industry's balls. He made big videos. He was all over MTV, in every major magazine, on the cover and giving interviews here there and everywhere, appearing at all the establishment award shows. He was Axl without the drama.

....Bearing in mind you appear to be speaking with a view to social impact and less about music. That one thing on it's own puts Kurt Cobain in very very exclusive company, this is something that the Axl Roses and the Freddie Mercurys and Bruce Springsteens cannot claim but the Lennons and the Dylans and the Bob Marleys can, THEY belong on that level, whatever you do or do not think about Kurt Cobain as a musician or whether he was consistent to whatever you believe his principles to be or any of that shit, that is indisputable and this is why Kurt Cobain is considered "great", this is history now, you can't do anything about it, trouble you though it may.
  • Like 1

As far as Len's post where he says he never claimed Kurt was like Lennon or this or that....

Here:

Fuck you, why should he [sign with a major label]? Why should any band? So basically, you have a dilemma, you like making music, you wanna get your music heard, you didn't like the concept of fame, maybe you sacrifice one for the other but how dare you suggest that any sort of art thats different or says something outside of the usual mainstream twaddle should willfully ghettoize themselves and just stay in their little holes and never get heard, well then whats the point of being an artist, you might as well pack it in, you make art for it to be seen/heard/appreciated. And if you don't like the way a certain thing in your world is configured and structured you go about changing it, not accepting it and hiding from the reality of it, what an preposterous proposition. If you don't agree with the way something is structured, you go about changing it, even if it is an entire industry and hey, lookee lookee, Kurt succeeded, didn't he, for a little while there, major record labels were clamouring for alternative bands, bands that, until the whole exposion, wouldn't get a fuckin look in....

See, Kurt talked the talk of this. Pearl Jam walked the walk. They signed with a major label record. And then actually told the major label record, and Ticket Master, to fuck off, and guess what? They still got heard. The music for itself. Black was one of their biggest songs, it charted high on rock radio despite the band refusing to release it as a single. Vitalogy and Vs. sold as many times the amount of In Utero despite having no promotion, interviews or videos backing them...In Utero failed to pass 1x Platinum until Kurt offed himself even with videos, interviews and photoshoots.

"If you don't like the way a certain thing is you go about changing it." Except Kurt didn't do that. He played the establishment's game, while claiming to be against it, basically a less obvious Axl Rose. Whereas Pearl Jam actually did try to change things, and tried to do things on their own terms - not the industry's terms - and you called them 'third rate maryrs for it.' Kurt played the industry's balls. He made big videos. He was all over MTV, in every major magazine, on the cover and giving interviews here there and everywhere, appearing at all the establishment award shows. He was Axl without the drama.

....Bearing in mind you appear to be speaking with a view to social impact and less about music. That one thing on it's own puts Kurt Cobain in very very exclusive company, this is something that the Axl Roses and the Freddie Mercurys and Bruce Springsteens cannot claim but the Lennons and the Dylans and the Bob Marleys can, THEY belong on that level, whatever you do or do not think about Kurt Cobain as a musician or whether he was consistent to whatever you believe his principles to be or any of that shit, that is indisputable and this is why Kurt Cobain is considered "great", this is history now, you can't do anything about it, trouble you though it may.

Fucking rights. You nailed it and anyone with an ounce of intelligence who was and is paying attention sees it. There are so many people n this world that love to live via revisionist history. Nirvana killed Guns, Kurt was the messiah of rock etc etc etc. It's all bullshit and it was all created by the media dying to latch onto something the sheep will follow. I'm not talking about Nirvana's music because all though simple and nothing overly special it is pretty good. I'm talking about how people have been dupped into this idea that Kurt was some genius who stood for something grand and deserved to be mentioned alongside the true music greats. He's not. He wasn't. He never will be, BUT lazy media will continue to drum up the same tired story that is is and was because it gives them something to categorize the early 90s by. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see how manipulated the whole thing was and it's rather sad how many people bought inot it and are still buying into it.

So what we've learned here is as an artist if you don't like something you go about changing it, not hiding from it. That's what I read. I guess that only applies though if you feel you can win the battle or manipulate the media into presenting you as something you're not. Pearl Jam as much as anyone or even more so went about trying to change things in the 90s and they've contiued to speak out about issues that are important to them. Nobody followed their lead and that says all you need to know. Pearl Jam did exactly what Len says an artist should do but then calls them third rate matyrs. Haha! Ok.

Guys the thing with Len is he either likes someone, in which case they can do no wrong, or he doesn't like them, in which case they can do no right. Simple as that. There is no in between. And that's the root of all his arguments in My World.

• Like 1

Right, here's that actual post:
I didnt say anyone was a martyr, including John Lennon, in fact i find the idea laughable. Nor did i make any mention of whether Kurt was middle class, or whether he was anything to do with John Lennon.

I stand by it, i didn't say any of em were martyrs, I didn't make any mention of Kurt being middle class. But yes, i did draw something of a parrallel with him and John Lennon...but not in the conversation we were having the other day, in a post of mine you've picked up on from three years ago, hence my not knowing what you were talking about. At any rate in that instance the parrallel I drew was to do with them being great musicians, the conversation you were having with me there was to do with them being martyrs or 'first rate martyrs' as you put it, which i think is a ridiculous notion when referring to pop stars and the music they make.

As far as the 'going about changing things' if you look back at that post i wasn't talking about him being Che Gueverra or feeding the starving masses or dying for a cause, i was talking about changing music, and even then, if you look, my words were that he changed things 'for a little while there', in reference to the notion that he helped a lot of alternative bands get record deals in having done that...which is indisputable as well as clearly stated in that post.

Your trouble is you're talking about something and you're not sure what it is. All the things you've mentioned about Pearl Jam amount to exactly jack shit. They took on ticketmaster and still got heard, well bully for them but what fuckin' good is that to anyone, what has that changed, what has that effected, who benefitted from that, substantially speaking here? Jack shit as far as I can see. Explain to me how Pearl Jam changed the industry, show me these big changes that Pearl Jam put in place?

In short i said Kurt effected change 'for a little while' and highlighted what i thought that change was. Now you do the same for Pearl Jam.

Pearl Jam did exactly what Len says an artist should do but then calls them third rate matyrs. Haha! Ok.

Where is this martyrs thing coming from? :lol:

Guys the thing with Len is he either likes someone, in which case they can do no wrong, or he doesn't like them, in which case they can do no right. Simple as that. There is no in between. And that's the root of all his arguments in My World.

Actually, thats you. You'll find me up and down this forum taking the piss out of people I like, from The Clash to The Pistols to The Beatles, literally all of em, if there's a rotten thing about em i have no qualms about pointing it out. In fact i quite enjoy taking the piss out of em most of em because, as I'm frequently found to be saying, none of em are my Mum or Dad or family, i don't consider myself to have a relationship with the people whoose voices i hear out of speakers or who stare back at me out of magazines.

How do you react when someone takes the mickey out of Queen? :lol: If i recall your last favourite one was 'yeah?!?! yeah?!?! well Freddie Mercury beat up Sid Vicious!' :lol: My Nan could beat up Sid Vicious :lol: You're just narked cuz i take the piss out of your Grandad taste in music which basically entails all of the most lame, most neutered, most soft music out there that trainspotters listen to because those were the only bands whoose music managed to seep through the dragnet of whatever drab eastern bloc shithole it was that you grew up in as a kid, since we're making broad biographical character assessments here.

Mark Knopfler, Status Quo, Queen, I mean Christ Almighty lad, my geography teacher listened to that bollocks...and i left secondary school like 17 years ago, thats how shite your taste is, even a generation ago people took the piss out of it :lol: And thats what this is all about, your on going menstruation regarding the fact that I point out that you listen to a load of bollocks :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Actually, thats you. You'll find me up and down this forum taking the piss out of people I like, from The Clash to The Pistols to The Beatles, literally all of em, if there's a rotten thing about em i have no qualms about pointing it out. In fact i quite enjoy taking the piss out of em most of em because, as I'm frequently found to be saying, none of em are my Mum or Dad or family, i don't consider myself to have a relationship with the people whoose voices i hear out of speakers or who stare back at me out of magazines.

How do you react when someone takes the mickey out of Queen? :lol: If i recall your last favourite one was 'yeah?!?! yeah?!?! well Freddie Mercury beat up Sid Vicious!' :lol: My Nan could beat up Sid Vicious :lol: You're just narked cuz i take the piss out of your Grandad taste in music which basically entails all of the most lame, most neutered, most soft music out there that trainspotters listen to because those were the only bands whoose music managed to seep through the dragnet of whatever drab eastern bloc shithole it was that you grew up in as a kid, since we're making broad biographical character assessments here.

Mark Knopfler, Status Quo, Queen, I mean Christ Almighty lad, my geography teacher listened to that bollocks...and i left secondary school like 17 years ago, thats how shite your taste is, even a generation ago people took the piss out of it :lol: And thats what this is all about, your on going menstruation regarding the fact that I point out that you listen to a load of bollocks :lol:

I've been on this forum for years and I've read tons of text from you detailing your opinions. I've never gone out of my way to look for your posts or anything like that, I don't take notes, but you're omnipresent on the forum. Well this is what I get from all those posts I've read. Granted, I don't go into threads about The Clash, Pistols, Beatles so maybe your arguments are more nuanced there but from what I have read your views tend to be pretty black & white.

How do you react when someone takes the mickey out of Queen? :lol:

I'm generally ok with people criticizing my taste in music otherwise I would've gone insane in high school. :lol: Also I'm not that big of a fan of Queen but that's beside the point.

If i recall your last favourite one was 'yeah?!?! yeah?!?! well Freddie Mercury beat up Sid Vicious!' :lol: My Nan could beat up Sid Vicious :lol:

You're probably thinking of someone else. It doesn't sound familiar at all, searching my posts for 'mercury' or 'vicious' only yields this of relevance and caring about who could beat up whom doesn't sound anything like me.

You're just narked cuz i take the piss out of your Grandad taste in music which basically entails all of the most lame, most neutered, most soft music out there that trainspotters listen to because those were the only bands whoose music managed to seep through the dragnet of whatever drab eastern bloc shithole it was that you grew up in as a kid, since we're making broad biographical character assessments here.

What? It's my dad probably, but still, I have no idea what you're talking about. I remember mentioning once how difficult it was for his generation to get music because of the iron curtain but I don't remember you saying anything about it. Also, why would you? What did he ever do to you?

facepalm.gif

Well, close enough. I don't listen to Status Quo, I like Queen and I love Knopfler, but I get the general sentiment. Still, I don't see what the problem is. I listen to music that's pleasant to listen to. I'm not looknig for any cultural statements, I'm not looking to be part of any movement or generational conflict, I don't care about deep art or anything like that. Ok, so your teacher listened to the same music that I do. Good for him, I suppose.

Lol.

This was YEARS ago, and i was a much bigger asshole. I grew up a little and learned a little, and now i dont post threads like this anymore. i mean sure, you win
Didn't you say that anybody who hates Kanye is racist a few months ago? :lol:

*hides*

Lol.

*hides*

What if you call him a black cunt, does that make you racist? :lol: Kanye West is a black cunt. And what? :lol: And you're a fat white cunt :lol:

Lol.

*hides*

What if you call him a black cunt, does that make you racist? :lol: Kanye West is a black cunt. And what? :lol: And you're a fat white cunt :lol:

I thought I said people who hate rap as a genre are subliminaly racist.

They have some really good songs, but I have never been compelled to buy their music or see them live...as good as I've heard the live shows are. :shrugs:

I like a handful of songs and decided to go to a gig last summer based on the recommendation of a cousin who was more of a metaller but said PJ was the best live gig he'd ever seen. It really was fucking great, I had a much better time at the PJ concert than the AC/DC gig I went to last Saturday even though I'm much more familiar with AC/DC's music.

Lol.

*hides*

I thought I said people who hate rap as a genre are subliminaly racist.

I wouldn't know, i was just being a dick to be honest :lol: For my part, I've always had a soft spot for you :wub: In terms of the statement though, i don't think thats true necessarily, to people that have grown up with a certain kind of idea about music it's just counter-melodic. Like, to my old man it's just a thumping sound with black people waving their hands about and rhyming words he doesn't understand, for a man who grew up in 1970s England there's just no reference point to it for him. And the fact that they are appear to be swearing indiscriminately for no particular reason, to a man like him it just looks stupid and juvenile and poseur-ish in the extreme, in a very direct way (i.e. very profiley etc, very look-concious).

But thats the idea I suppose, it's just a totally different rhythm really, isn't it? I suppose by that rationale he shouldn't get funk I suppose. Rap is also very boastful and self aggrandising and to a person that comes from a culture that values humility and reserve it just seems very arrogant and arrogant for not very good reason either.

A great many of that generation don't even like punk, they go for melody, not rhythm, music is like a soothing thing or a profound thing, not something that beats you over the head, not everybody sees a value in flinging themselves about in a release of some kind of subconcious aggression, couple that with the fact that they don't really sing in the typical sense makes a lot of people think they look/talk/act/sound like a bunch of morons.

A lot of these things are explained to us and/or rationalised in very intellectual terms, they are intellectualised for us to where we come to an understanding, it don't go that far for some people, they just react to their immediate impression to what they are hearing.

Edited by Len B'stard

^^^

Anyone can like anything regardless of their background and surroundings. Whatever it is in a person's brain that has the potential to relate to a specific piece of music is already there.

It helps when you are familiar with a certain sound, that's true, but it's not crucial.

Edited by Rovim