Jimmy Page vs. Slash

Iron MikeyJ

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I pick Slash and GnR basically made Led Zeppelin sound old and that saying it lightly. I like Page, his stuff is cool but didn't he like stole most of his stuff? I believe that the first 5 albums are stolen but whatever. I prefer Slash simply because he sounds better, writes better riffs, solos, etc.

I don't think Page had much impact on Slash as much as the bands in the mid-late 70s did.

You might be on to something here. That Super Bowl hat does show a definite disco influence. :shrugs:

RRHOF nominated as of last night:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pick Slash and GnR basically made Led Zeppelin sound old and that saying it lightly. I like Page, his stuff is cool but didn't he like stole most of his stuff? I believe that the first 5 albums are stolen but whatever. I prefer Slash simply because he sounds better, writes better riffs, solos, etc.

I don't think Page had much impact on Slash as much as the bands in the mid-late 70s did.

You might be on to something here. That Super Bowl hat does show a definite disco influence. :shrugs:

RRHOF nominated as of last night:

Thanks. You have proven a point that I really didn't know that we had. :lol:

@ Mexzilla

I hate it when people say "Page stole all of his stuff" because that is not completly true. Did he "borrow" things here and there, yes. But that's what all the old blues guys did. Muddy Waters stole from Elmore James, Elmore James stole from John Lee Hooker, and Hooker stole from Robert Johnson. And Johnson probably stole from people also, but we have no true record of that. I have a recording of either John Lee Hooker or Elmore James singing sweet home Chicago, and they claim it as an original song. But Robert Johnson did that song 15 years or so earlier. And just because Johnson did it first doesn't mean he wrote it. And besides the fact they all do the songs a little differently.

But back to Jimmy Page, I would say somewhere around 90% of all of Zeppelin's music that he wrote was completly original. Mostly lyrics are borrowed from older songs, so that is more Robert Plant's doing than Page. And take the song Traveling riverside blues, Zeppelin's version is way different than Johnson's original. Page rewrote most of the music to that song, so in essence it is just as much his song as Johnson's.

Don't take my word for it, hear it for yourself Johnson's version

Zeppelin's

Oh and one more thing, Jimmy Page played the guitar in so many different tunings. He was really the first "rock" player to do that. Slash plays everyting in E or Eb, maybe the occasional drop D. Nothing close to the types of tunings that Page did.

Was gonna say this, nicely put.

Unless your name is Hendrix, you're gonna get slaughtered against that guy.

Not exactly. There's always Eddie Van Halen.

Ed's gimmick was cool for a few years, but it was over as soon as Yngwie, Rhoads and Vai came in. I don't really think Ed's body of work is on the same level.

Edited by moreblack

Slash's entire career can be summed up with Page's guitar work in Heartbreaker.

Until Slash shows such versatility in rock guitar playing as Battle of Evermore, Rain Song, Dazed and Confused, In The Light, etc., etc. he will never be able to touch Page.

@ Moreblack,

What EVH did was not "gimmick" and to say it was shows your ignorance when it comes to guitar players. All the guys you mentioned were completly influenced by EVH, and they all admited to it also. Including the late great Randy Rhoades. Nobody can play that style of guitar playing quite like Eddie. Is Vai and others more technically profficiant? Probably, but they don't have his feel. He used tapping and other techniques as a way to take a solo to places it had never been before. If you don't like him or van halen's music in general, that's fine. But discount his influence and abilities is just plain dumb. Sorry but it's true.

I prefer Slash's work and his solos over Jimmy Pages anyday. Like Powerage said, Page is a little too sloppy for my taste. But it cannot be denied that Jimmy Page is a better songwriter.

Edited by Chloe

Slash would be the first one to say he is not in the same league with Jimmy. Slash idolizes Jimmy Page and would not even begin to like this camparision.

But you don't agree? Cause you voted Slash.

What EVH did was not "gimmick" and to say it was shows your ignorance when it comes to guitar players. All the guys you mentioned were completly influenced by EVH, and they all admited to it also. Including the late great Randy Rhoades. Nobody can play that style of guitar playing quite like Eddie. Is Vai and others more technically profficiant? Probably, but they don't have his feel. He used tapping and other techniques as a way to take a solo to places it had never been before. If you don't like him or van halen's music in general, that's fine. But discount his influence and abilities is just plain dumb. Sorry but it's true.

Gimmick may not be the right word, it was an extra trick that helped him stand out at the time because very few guys were doing it. But even he saw it as a dead end street, considering how as the years went by, he did it less and less. And once you take that one aspect away from his playing, he's really not all that special. Is Vai more technically proficient? that is the understatement of the century. Unlike Ed, Vai has no limits when it comes to lead guitar.

Well, I think Page is an overall better musician. With his famous riffs and his songwriting for LedZep.

Slash on the other hand was lead guitarist in my favourite band of all times. his solos and riffs are legendary as well.

If I were a Zeppelin fan i'd prefer Page, but I'm a guns fan and so I go for Slash

Well, I think Page is an overall better musician. With his famous riffs and his songwriting for LedZep.

Slash on the other hand was lead guitarist in my favourite band of all times. his solos and riffs are legendary as well.

If I were a Zeppelin fan i'd prefer Page, but I'm a guns fan and so I go for Slash

But the question is not 'who you like more', but who is better. When looking objectively it must be Page IMO.