Besides Axl, who do you think is the best song writer in the current lineup?

liers

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Based on solo stuff I'd say Tommy. But I think Richard and Ron can also write some absolutely amazing music. But when lyrics come in the mix - Tommy. Always loved Village Gorilla Head and One Man Mutiny.

Edited by username

axl's who's-who of la session musicians has had maybe two real songwriters in its 15 year lineage.

bucket and stinson.

everyone else was goofy, displaced, or was there because axl thought hiring trent's musicians, would in turn grant him trent's superior music writing powers.

I vote Tommy as best songwriter in GnR. One Man Mutiny was a masterpiece - Tommy Dizzy and Fortus put together a great recording, if anyone hasn't heard it they should.

Hearing this acoustic version of Better, if that's Ron, I would say Ron is the best guitar player that's ever recorded anything for GnR, ever, except for Brian May.

I just really really really wish he would drop all the 'foot' references and embrace Ron. It's cool where he came from and I loved seeing some of his videos on youtube of him hosting club shows and guitar shred-off's but artists are allowed to grow and wish he would put that phase in the past. But then in fairness it's for him to put out into the world...

Ashba. Stintson's stuff(Going Down included) is boring, uninspired and generic. Bumble has AMAZING talent but lacks the melody and ear-catching ability. Frank hasn't really written anything and Dizzy and Pitman's stuff is average at best. Ashba's work with Sixx AM is quite good. All in all though, none of them as anything special. Lol at the guy that said One Man Mutiny is a masterpiece. Move over Stairway To Heaven!!!

Edited by Young_Gun

Ashba. Stintson's stuff(Going Down included) is boring, uninspired and generic. Bumble has AMAZING talent but lacks the melody and ear-catching ability. Frank hasn't really written anything and Dizzy and Pitman's stuff is average at best. Ashba's work with Sixx AM is quite good. All in all though, none of them as anything special. Lol at the guy that said One Man Mutiny is a masterpiece. Move over Stairway To Heaven!!!

I'll give you that masterpiece is a bit far fetched. Love the song though! But to say Sixx AM is great and Tommy's stuff is boring... no fucking way man. Couldn't be more wrong. -_-

I'll give you that masterpiece is a bit far fetched. Love the song though! But to say Sixx AM is great and Tommy's stuff is boring... no fucking way man. Couldn't be more wrong. -_-

I wouldn't say far fetched. It's not a musical opus but it's not supposed to be. I'd put it up beside any timeless song of that style slow acoustic rock song by the stones, gnr, dylan, and it holds its own. Lyrically, musically, it's simple and timeless in my books. Amazing melody. Because it's not a 19 minute song with 15 guitar tracks and 5 solo's doesn't mean it can't be as good as one that is. But some people think complexity and production value = good, and I feel sorry for them.

Edited by kbirdie76

Songs like "Life is beautiful", "Van Nuys" and "Accidents can happen" are much more memorable than anything Tommy has had a hand in. Never said Sixx AM were 'great', just that their songs are quite good. Tommy's stuff in comparison is so uninteresting lyrically, vocally, musically etc. That's just my opinion though.

Edited by Young_Gun

Out of all the people whose ever been a member of GNR, I like Bumblefoot's solo stuff the most. So I voted for him.

I quite like Richard Fortus' solos live, but other than that haven't really heard much of music that he's written. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the best songwriter out of them all.

DJ Ashba has a lot of potential. I love what he did with Mötley Crue. Not a big fan of Sixx: A.M. though. I prefer his playing in rockier tunes. He sounds way too emo when he plays ballads. Don't like Ballad Of Death at all. It sounds cheesy and I just can't relate to it at all.

Tommy Stinson is a decent songwriter. Not a big fan of his solo stuff. I mean it's not bad but... it's just too generic. Going Down is not much better.

I honestly like Frank Ferrers drumming the most out of all GNR drummers. No idea how good he is as a songwriter though.

Dizzy's been one of the songwriters in many great GNR songs. He's been a songwriter in more than a couple bad one's as well, so... I don't know. He plays a mean keyboard.

My three least favorite new GNR songs are If The World, Silkworms and Madagascar. Pittman's been a songwriter in all of them, so I'd say he's my least favorite songwriter out of the bunch.

Edited by Lies They Tell

Bumblefoot gets my vote because, if you listen to his albums, all of them sound totally different yet all of the songs flow well when you listen to the albums. I'll mention Tommy as well because he's really great and I love his albums. Hopefully they'll get a much bigger role if they decide to write an album than Ashba, Chris, Frank, etc. They're my only hope.

I dont need to explain why I wont vote for Mr. "I am all about not taking any risks and I write generic pop rock songs so they all will love me".