NBA offseason Thread

I have always been pretty open with my dislike of Lebron, while he is one of the most naturally gifted players ever, he has always come across as a spoiled brat imo. When he went to Miami he cemented my feelings as a spoiled brat. But having said that, if he does go back to Cleveland I will give him some more props. Don't get me wrong, I'll still root against him, but some of my dislike will diminish. Even though that team is loaded with young talent, other than Kyrie Irving, they don't have another legitimate star. So Lebron would literally have to be the leader and REALLY showcase his full potential, much more than he ever had to in Miami. As a basketball fan, I really would enjoy seeing that. The worst case scenario is he teams up with Carmelo some how, that would just piss me off. It would also insure the decade of the 2010's as the worst basketball decade since the 1970's imo.

LeBron isn't teasing anybody. He's weighing all of his options. It's Cleveland taking the risk and dumping players. LeBron has said nothing in free agency. The media are the ones getting the fans hopes up, not LeBron. He hasn't said a word. If Cleveland should be mad at anyone this go around, it should be ESPN, in particular Chris Broussard.

LeBron isn't teasing anybody. He's weighing all of his options. It's Cleveland taking the risk and dumping players. LeBron has said nothing in free agency. The media are the ones getting the fans hopes up, not LeBron. He hasn't said a word. If Cleveland should be mad at anyone this go around, it should be ESPN, in particular Chris Broussard.

There is no way in all hell that Cleveland is making all these moves unless they have information directly from lebron and his camp that he is considering strongly going home to Cleveland. Lebron literally has the nba in his hands right now and I'm sure his camp has been giving Cleveland clues as to what he wants in order to go back. If lebron made it clear he had no interest in Cleveland they wouldn't be clearing capspace by trading jarret jack and zeller for nearly nothing and going after two of lebrons fav veterans.

Edit: cavs are all trading a future 1st rounder away in the three team deal. They are literally now putting there future as risk for lebron, they are all in.

Edited by Estranged Coma

Lebron is a whore, highest bidder whether it be all star team mates and or money and he's gone. Nice legacy he will have.

I'm still trying to figure out what the Celtics are doing, drafting two guards, already having Rajon, and resigning Avery Bradley long term.

Either something big is about to happen or Danny Ainge has lost his mojo.

Going back to Cleveland would sure be a major boost in the popularity for Lebron's career/legacy department.

Lebron haters seem to forget that he pretty much single handed carried them to the finals before he left. If he went back and led them to a couple of NBA titles..........that's storybook stuff right there.

They've got a great young cast, a very interesting new coach, and three first round draft picks next year. With Wade diminishing and Miami being filled with spare parts (except for Bosh), it seems odd that Lebron would want to go back there.

Mello seems like a guy who is only interested in his own personal stats and he doesn't play much defense. Would he be happy only scoring 15 points a game?

I think that's another aspect of Lebron's game that he isn't given credit for. If the GM put together a championship caliber team and told Lebron "we don't need you to score that much, we need you to try for 10 rebounds and 10 assists a game" and it meant winning 4-5 more championships...........I think he would do it in a heartbeat. I don't see Mello or Kobe doing that. 15 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and 4 NBA titles............or 30 points, 7 rebounds and 0 NBA titles..............Lebron chooses one of those, Mello chooses the other.

AND can we get some love for Dirk? This is the second time he has taken a below-market value contract to give his team a chance to sign better players. Gotta love that guy.

Shades - but didn't you just describe 99% of pro athletes? Wanting to go to the team that gives you the best chance to win a championship.......or wanting to make as much money as possible.............99.5% of all pro athletes fall into those two categories. That's why the NBA (and other sports) have free agency. So players can move around once their contracts are finished.

Edited by Groghan

There is no way in all hell that Cleveland is making all these moves unless they have information directly from lebron and his camp that he is considering strongly going home to Cleveland. Lebron literally has the nba in his hands right now and I'm sure his camp has been giving Cleveland clues as to what he wants in order to go back. If lebron made it clear he had no interest in Cleveland they wouldn't be clearing capspace by trading jarret jack and zeller for nearly nothing and going after two of lebrons fav veterans.

Edit: cavs are all trading a future 1st rounder away in the three team deal. They are literally now putting there future as risk for lebron, they are all in.

Is there anything wrong with LeBron letting teams know what they can do to increase his interest? What else should he do? If Cleveland makes all these moves and fails to get LeBron, that's the risk they run. If LeBron is teasing anyone, it's because that's how you negotiate to get the best in the position possible. Can't really blame him for using his leverage to do what he feels is best for himself, his family, and legacy.

Is there anything wrong with LeBron letting teams know what they can do to increase his interest? What else should he do? If Cleveland makes all these moves and fails to get LeBron, that's the risk they run. If LeBron is teasing anyone, it's because that's how you negotiate to get the best in the position possible. Can't really blame him for using his leverage to do what he feels is best for himself, his family, and legacy.

Yeah no hate on lebron for this coming from me. I'm for every player getting what they can and as much as they can while they can , including bron. Just saying if he really cares about his rep in Cleveland if he flirts with the idea (which he's doing) and doesn't come through it will definitely take another hit.

Shades - but didn't you just describe 99% of pro athletes? Wanting to go to the team that gives you the best chance to win a championship.......or wanting to make as much money as possible.............99.5% of all pro athletes fall into those two categories. That's why the NBA (and other sports) have free agency. So players can move around once their contracts are finished.

yea maybe, but Lebron seems to be taking it to another level of no loyalty.

what ever happened to just loving the game and the city and your fans.

how much friggin money does he need? I would think a little old school loyalty and respect for the game would be in order for someone so good that whatever team he played for would give him enough money to live like a multi millionaire the rest of his life. And whats up with winning a championship when an owner puts together a team of all-stars because he can.

I would think playing for a city and it's fans, assembling the best team possible through the draft and some horse trading, a few work in progress years if need be and then winning the big one would go a long way toward the legacy thing. And certainly mean more to the real fans of the sport.

but whatever, hes Lebron the whore to me.

I think Lebron should just stay on the heat. I mean with him their the best team in the east and will make it to the ECF or the Championship for at least two or three years. But if he goes back to the Cavs it will probably take two or three years to get really good to make a run for the championship.

Honestly the heat arnt that good of a team without lebron anymore that's why he's considering his options. D wade is not a superstar anymore bar some incredible comeback season and not further injury. D wade is now a 15-19 ppg scorer tops, who's defense is not where it once was ether. Look at the rest of the squad they truly have no one. That's why they are after mello. The reason he left Cleveland in the first place is because he didn't want to carry such a large load.

Right now Cleveland's roster is actually looking better than Miami unless Miami can bring in another all star. Kyrie Irving is better than d wade at this point, they have a wiggins, doin waiters, and just got rid of jarret jack to make space for another few pieces lebron wants. Lebron can make the cavs a very strong team.

yea maybe, but Lebron seems to be taking it to another level of no loyalty.

what ever happened to just loving the game and the city and your fans.

how much friggin money does he need? I would think a little old school loyalty and respect for the game would be in order for someone so good that whatever team he played for would give him enough money to live like a multi millionaire the rest of his life. And whats up with winning a championship when an owner puts together a team of all-stars because he can.

I would think playing for a city and it's fans, assembling the best team possible through the draft and some horse trading, a few work in progress years if need be and then winning the big one would go a long way toward the legacy thing. And certainly mean more to the real fans of the sport.

but whatever, hes Lebron the whore to me.

What is LeBron and every other player supposed to do? Play on the team that drafted them forever regardless of circumstance? The only people players have a requirement to be loyalty are their families. The owners of these teams sure as hell aren't loyal to the players. The latest CBA is evidence of that.

• Like 1

@Groghan,

I don't think anyone has forgotten that Lebron took the Cavs to the finals. You make these pro~Lebron comments like everyone should just think like you do. Why must everyone love Lebron? Everyone didn't like Jordan or Shaq or Kobe or any other number of great players. But when people don't like Lebron (his fans, not just you) act like we are ignorant. I personally like to root against him, and that will never change, and their are a lot of very knowledgable basketball fans that agree with me. His natural talents are amazing, but his late game skills and just plain mental fortitude are VERY lacking. He is a flawed basketball player, despite what his fans think. But having said that, he IS without a doubt the best overall player right now.

As for Miami vs Cleveland goes. Miami is the clear better choice for winning right now. If he stays in Miami he could get a ring next season, but 2~3 years down the road doesn't look so bright. While Cleveland will not win a title next season (even with Lebron having a career year). They are just plain too young and inexperienced to beat a team like the Spurs or even perhaps Indiana and possibly Chicago. So Lebron would be going back to square one, kinda like what happened with Kobe after Shaq left. But if he can eventually win one in Cleveland it will mean more to his legacy and fans than everything he did in Miami. Plus Cleveland is set up to be a solid team for the next decade, while Miami will be rebuilding in a couple of years. I also agree that Kyrie Irving IS the better player than Wade is right now. I personally think Wade is done and should retire in a season or two. He is just starting to look bad....

So it's pretty much a win now vs win later question. Personally if I were him I would go back to Cleveland. Finish what you started there. Get that city a ring that they have been begging for since 1964.

As for Miami having Lebron and Carmello goes, it would make them a sexy pick, they will look good on paper. But reality will be far different. They both play the same posisition. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea? Both Lebron and Carmello get over powered by true PF's. If Miami was to get rid of Wade and get Carmello and keep Bosh, then maybe. But if I were running the Heat I would value Bosh more than Carmello. Not because Bosh is the better player (because he is not) but he is the better fit for the Heat. Carmello is not a good defensive player, which is already a problem for the Heat, why make it worse? Honestly I think Indiana would handle Miami pretty easily with Lebron, Wade, and Carmello. They would just beat them up inside. Sure Miami would put up points, but outside of Lebron, they are all below average defensive players.

Honestly I want Carmello to got to Chicago and Lebron to Cleveland. That sounds like interesting story lines, the Bulls vs Cavs rivally renewed. Chicago would be better now, and perhaps even be the best team in the league (if Rose comes back strong), but in a year or two Cleveland will surpass them. Plus Indiana will still be around, that would give the eastern confrence a nice boost (that it really needs).

• Like 1

@Groghan,

but his late game skills and just plain mental fortitude are VERY lacking. He is a flawed basketball player, despite what his fans think.

Right back at ya, big guy.

You can't just say he is the best player in the game today WITHOUT a laundry list of what YOU think are his major flaws.

I'm not a Lebron lover. I'm a fan of basketball.

I don't care who complete strangers love or hate. You seem to get very upset about what I post. Let it go dude. It's OK for people to have disagreements on sports. We are all just voicing our OPINIONS.

I agree with most of the other stuff you've posted.

D-Wade is done? Averaged 19 points, 5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and shot 55% from the field last season. Kryie was 20 points, 6 assists, 3.6 rebounds and only shot 43% from the field.

And Wade actually had a solid playoff series until the final couple of games where he did look completely spent. He only played in like 55 games during the regular season. So he is definitely on the downside of his career. But I'm not sure he needs to retire just yet.

Dead on with your comments about Bosh. Basketball is not about individual pieces - it's about fitting into a team. Bosh fits better with Miami than Mello would.

Mello would have to play defense if he goes to Chicago. Do you think he is willing to do that?

Lebron, Thompson, Kryie, Vallejo (or whatever that center's name is) and Wiggins.......that's a pretty formidable starting five. Thompson and Anderson are great rebounders, Kyrie is a great point who can score, Lebron can get his 30 points a game, and Wiggins just has to play defense. I don't see why that team couldn't hang with Indy and Chicago.

Shades, again, you are correct and I think we'd all like to see pro sports run in that fashion.

I just don't get why you've singled out Lebron when you've actually described 99.9% of all NBA players. Mello has made over a 100 million dollars in his career, why his he looking for the highest bidder? AND, Kobe stayed home and hasn't left LA..........but he also took a 25 million dollar a year contract that has totally hamstrung the Lakers from making any big moves. The contract that he accepted has really hurt his team's chances to be competitive. You are OK with that? That dude has made hundreds of millions of dollars. He could have takent a 10 million dollar deal and gave the Lakers a chance to be good.

All these guys want the money and they want championships. Lebron is no different than 99% of all NBA players.

LOL, what I'm most surprised about though is your democratic take on his salary. He's earned enough, so he should take less money now? That's like the democrat's mantra on why rich people are evil.

Any team in the east be it the bulls with mello or the heat with the same big three or cavs with lebron are notches below the top teams in the west. Teams in the west arnt struggling to grab another superstar and change there teams dramatically they are making small moves to make there already strong teams stronger. If the heat were in the west they would not have gone to 4 straight finals. Honestly id say they may have made it to only one. I'd argue Memphis and blazers or even Dallas would go to the eastern conf finals if in the east last year. I think lebron knows this and in his mind needs to stay in the east and also needs to craft a team that can beat any team in the west. Which is why he is talking with mello I'd say.

LeBron just got done taking a paycut to go to Miami. He's the best player in the world and doesn't owe it to anybody to take a paycut. He'll just be earning whatever money he deserves. He's not making this decision about money, because any team would be willing to give him the max amount possible, whether it be Phoenix or Miami or Cleveland or whoever else. They're all only capable of giving him the same amount (unless Miami has his Bird Rights idk). And I've always hated the talk of loyalty in sports. Teams are willing to trade a player at the first sign of their talents diminishing or an enticing return, but we're expect players to stick with their team no matter what. Fuck that.

• Like 1

Any team in the east be it the bulls with mello or the heat with the same big three or cavs with lebron are notches below the top teams in the west. Teams in the west arnt struggling to grab another superstar and change there teams dramatically they are making small moves to make there already strong teams stronger. If the heat were in the west they would not have gone to 4 straight finals. Honestly id say they may have made it to only one. I'd argue Memphis and blazers or even Dallas would go to the eastern conf finals if in the east last year. I think lebron knows this and in his mind needs to stay in the east and also needs to craft a team that can beat any team in the west. Which is why he is talking with mello I'd say.

In case I've never told you this, I'm extremely impressed with your NBA knowledge! You always make some great posts.

We are all falling at the feet of Duncan and the Spurs.......but Dallas took them to game seven! Dirk gets hot for one game and Miami probably wins another NBA title.

Phoenix and Portland are going to be a year older. Memphis, OKC are tough. San Ant will be good again. And if Bosh ends up going to Dallas or Houston....talk about a deep league.

LeBron just got done taking a paycut to go to Miami. He's the best player in the world and doesn't owe it to anybody to take a paycut. He'll just be earning whatever money he deserves. He's not making this decision about money, because any team would be willing to give him the max amount possible, whether it be Phoenix or Miami or Cleveland or whoever else. They're all only capable of giving him the same amount (unless Miami has his Bird Rights idk). And I've always hated the talk of loyalty in sports. Teams are willing to trade a player at the first sign of their talents diminishing or an enticing return, but we're expect players to stick with their team no matter what. Fuck that.

And lighting hits the nail on the head!

• Like 1

@Groghan,

but his late game skills and just plain mental fortitude are VERY lacking. He is a flawed basketball player, despite what his fans think.

Right back at ya, big guy.

You can't just say he is the best player in the game today WITHOUT a laundry list of what YOU think are his major flaws.

I'm not a Lebron lover. I'm a fan of basketball.

I don't care who complete strangers love or hate. You seem to get very upset about what I post. Let it go dude. It's OK for people to have disagreements on sports. We are all just voicing our OPINIONS.

I agree with most of the other stuff you've posted.

D-Wade is done? Averaged 19 points, 5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and shot 55% from the field last season. Kryie was 20 points, 6 assists, 3.6 rebounds and only shot 43% from the field.

And Wade actually had a solid playoff series until the final couple of games where he did look completely spent. He only played in like 55 games during the regular season. So he is definitely on the downside of his career. But I'm not sure he needs to retire just yet.

Dead on with your comments about Bosh. Basketball is not about individual pieces - it's about fitting into a team. Bosh fits better with Miami than Mello would.

Mello would have to play defense if he goes to Chicago. Do you think he is willing to do that?

Lebron, Thompson, Kryie, Vallejo (or whatever that center's name is) and Wiggins.......that's a pretty formidable starting five. Thompson and Anderson are great rebounders, Kyrie is a great point who can score, Lebron can get his 30 points a game, and Wiggins just has to play defense. I don't see why that team couldn't hang with Indy and Chicago.

Shades, again, you are correct and I think we'd all like to see pro sports run in that fashion.

I just don't get why you've singled out Lebron when you've actually described 99.9% of all NBA players. Mello has made over a 100 million dollars in his career, why his he looking for the highest bidder? AND, Kobe stayed home and hasn't left LA..........but he also took a 25 million dollar a year contract that has totally hamstrung the Lakers from making any big moves. The contract that he accepted has really hurt his team's chances to be competitive. You are OK with that? That dude has made hundreds of millions of dollars. He could have takent a 10 million dollar deal and gave the Lakers a chance to be good.

All these guys want the money and they want championships. Lebron is no different than 99% of all NBA players.

LOL, what I'm most surprised about though is your democratic take on his salary. He's earned enough, so he should take less money now? That's like the democrat's mantra on why rich people are evil.

I'm liking the bball arguments boys lets keep um going there one of the best thing honestly about bball talking shit :)

I may need to change the tittle of this thread to The Barbershop

I agree with the point you made of a lebron Cleveland team being as good as anyone in the east. Let's face it wizards he could beat bulls he could beat (rose hasn't played in 2 years!!! And if they don't get melo they've only lost players and gotten older) pacers just can't beat lebron it's kind of hilarious they always look great for like 2 or 3 games against bron then chock it away it's inevitable. Honestly any lebron team is and should be the fav in the east no matter who's on it that's how poor the east is.

Edit: your right about Dallas that team is very solid! On offense they could score with any team in the nba there flaw was defensively which they were pretty poor on that side of the court. It was crazy frustrating watching that and rooting for the spurs untill game 7 because the spurs would score in bunches and Dallas would just make a run right back. Was a great series honestly.

Edited by Estranged Coma

@ Groghan,

I'm not trying to argue with you....

Why do you always rush to defend Lebron? I wasn't trying to talking negative about him. You say I bring out a laundry list of his flaws, but that's what you do about every player. "Carmello isn't good on defense, Shaq couldn't shoot free throws, Kobe was a ball hog, etc." These are all common complaints of all 3, every player has weaknesses, nobody's perfect. My intent wasn't to bash Lebron.

As far as Wade goes, I didn't say he was done now, I said in 2~3 years. But I do think it's better when great players go out with some dignity, 3 years from now I think he will look VERY old, so if I were him I'd play 2 more years, that's it. Same goes for Kobe, if he doesn't average 25 or so on THIS Lakers team, he really needs to think about calling it a day. This Lakers team is just about the worst one I can remember, even the Lakers team post Shaq and Pre Gasol had a prime Kobe. Kobe had his best personal years then, so if he can't get 25 on this one (where pretty much none of them can score) it really says a lot imo.

@Estranged Coma,

I like these bball chats as well, I don't mind a little shit talkin' either. :)

Who's your team? I'm a Piston's fan. We might suck right now, but I like Drummond and Monroe (if he stays). Josh Smith was a bust though :(

Your barbershop comment is spot on.

We should all be able to chat about and even argue about sports - without people getting mad or offended.

Since you are talking about me, I'm going to address this. You talk down to me, and to other posters at times, that's why I get offended/mad. It's not what you say, it's how you said it. If you want to talk about Kobe vs Jerry West, I'm all in, let's do it. But when you call me out in another thread and say I'm crazy and I compared Horace Grant to Bill Russell, that pisses me off. For 1 it's a personal attack. For 2 it's talking down to me. And for 3 it's not even true. So yes I get a little hot under the collar about some of the things you say. But again, it's not always what you say, but how you say it.

@ Groghan,

I'm not trying to argue with you....

Why do you always rush to defend Lebron? I wasn't trying to talking negative about him. You say I bring out a laundry list of his flaws, but that's what you do about every player. "Carmello isn't good on defense, Shaq couldn't shoot free throws, Kobe was a ball hog, etc." These are all common complaints of all 3, every player has weaknesses, nobody's perfect. My intent wasn't to bash Lebron.

As far as Wade goes, I didn't say he was done now, I said in 2~3 years. But I do think it's better when great players go out with some dignity, 3 years from now I think he will look VERY old, so if I were him I'd play 2 more years, that's it. Same goes for Kobe, if he doesn't average 25 or so on THIS Lakers team, he really needs to think about calling it a day. This Lakers team is just about the worst one I can remember, even the Lakers team post Shaq and Pre Gasol had a prime Kobe. Kobe had his best personal years then, so if he can't get 25 on this one (where pretty much none of them can score) it really says a lot imo.

@Estranged Coma,

I like these bball chats as well, I don't mind a little shit talkin' either. :)

Who's your team? I'm a Piston's fan. We might suck right now, but I like Drummond and Monroe (if he stays). Josh Smith was a bust though :(

Pistons have some good young pieces I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck into the playoffs next year.

I'm a sixers fan! Lol I'm pretty happy embiid fell to us, it's a gamble but he has 1st overall talent so I'm my eyes it's worth it. We arnt winning anything this year anyway. Noel's looking good in summer play so that's good and I think MCW will continue to improve even is he goes through his sophomore slump he will get much needed experience this year. I think in 2 or 3 years we can do some damage in the east if the organization doesn't fuck up.

My other team is the spurs cuz there the hometown team. I live very close to sa. Go spurs go!

Edited by Estranged Coma

I'm so optimistic about our (the Sixers') future but it is scary that it's such a "wait and see" approach so we don't have much tangible to satisfy us yet. I've been very happy with what Noel has shown in Summer League, though. I know it's just Summer League but he's been a beast on defense and has shown much better form in his jumper than we've seen before, so his ceiling could be even higher than previously believed. I also love the idea of him roaming around on defense altering shots on both the perimeter and around the rim with Embiid anchoring the paint.

All I want to see from MCW this year is an improved jump shot. It was pretty brutal this past season.

We'll probably be a Top 3 pick again this year. I think next off-season is where we begin to make moves in free agency and the such that push us towards the playoffs. I could see us target some younger free agents to add to our core and bench, like Alec Burks, Iman Shumpert, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Tristan Thompson, and whoever else.

I'm so optimistic about our (the Sixers') future but it is scary that it's such a "wait and see" approach so we don't have much tangible to satisfy us yet. I've been very happy with what Noel has shown in Summer League, though. I know it's just Summer League but he's been a beast on defense and has shown much better form in his jumper than we've seen before, so his ceiling could be even higher than previously believed. I also love the idea of him roaming around on defense altering shots on both the perimeter and around the rim with Embiid anchoring the paint.

All I want to see from MCW this year is an improved jump shot. It was pretty brutal this past season.

We'll probably be a Top 3 pick again this year. I think next off-season is where we begin to make moves in free agency and the such that push us towards the playoffs. I could see us target some younger free agents to add to our core and bench, like Alec Burks, Iman Shumpert, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Tristan Thompson, and whoever else.

Klay Thomson would be awesome I've said this team needs a pure scorer now. MCW is not a scorer rly Noel and embiid are not going to be crazy offensive skilled players ether. Put a guy like klay and some shooters on this team now and you got a very formidable team.

Hold up isn't your nfl team the packers or am I thinking of another poster?!?!? Cuz if it is that's crazy I'm a sixers/packers fan lol!

I like the Sixers also, honestly I "like" all the classic franchises. I like the NBA the best when the Celtics, Lakers, Sixers, Pistons, Bulls, Knicks, and others are playing each other in the playoffs. I loved seeing the Celtics and Lakers going at it with Kobe and KG. I loved those series, I rooted for the Celtics, but I'm glad both teams beat the other team. Celtics just had trouble with injuries, the Lakers were younger.

As for the Sixers, the 2001 season was great. I was rooting for the Sixers over the Lakers for sure, but I knew the Lakers would take it. I'm also a pretty big Dr. J fan, I love those old teams for sure.

Edited by Mike420

So Mello is staying in NY.

They are going to be mediocre again next year. And then will try and "build" a championship team by bringing in a couple big name free agents.

Gotta think that Mello just went for the money with this deal.