The New Roman Empire: The United States of America

Ace Nova

Go easy on the appletinis tonight, K.

Gotcha bro, good lookin' out.....;)

The Roman Empire's influence did not stretch as much as The Chinese have and always will. Sure they were down for the count in the 19th and most of the 20th century, but they are back on track.

So basically, you're saying that the USA is more influential now, than the Roman Empire ever was?

Well no, the Roman Empire has done more to influence the Western World than the United States ever will. I mean we based part of our existence on them. They still influence us. One of the remaining legacies of the Roman Empire is The Catholic Church. Nobody would give a damn what Francis would say if his Church was never elevated because it happened to be in Rome.

Hell a ton of empires and states throughout history has had more influence on our world today than the United States. The United States simply is powerful based on economy and military alone. And that has been challenged by China which has had lasting influence for thousands of years.

Well no, the Roman Empire has done more to influence the Western World than the United States ever will. I mean we based part of our existence on them. They still influence us. One of the remaining legacies of the Roman Empire is The Catholic Church. Nobody would give a damn what Francis would say if his Church was never elevated because it happened to be in Rome.

Hell a ton of empires and states throughout history has had more influence on our world today than the United States. The United States simply is powerful based on economy and military alone. And that has been challenged by China which has had lasting influence for thousands of years.

Yeah, but we're (USA) is still the most influential as of now.

China's entire (economic) existence is dependent on the USA. They wouldn't be a blip on the radar without the USA.

;)

Yeah, but we're (USA) is still the most influential as of now.

China's entire (economic) existence is dependent on the USA. They wouldn't be a blip on the radar without the USA.

;)

Well, Empires have to depend on someone. Pax China here we come!

I don't know enough about the Roman Empire to make a contribution. I've always been interested in people's comparisons with the collapse of the Roman Empire and the supposed conspiracy collapse of the USA, so if anyone would like to send a report I'd be happy to read it.

The Roman Empire lasted for over 400 years (if you don't count the Holy Roman Empire).

We're good.

;)

I am a bit busy right now but here is something to ponder,

The United States of America, in 1776, created a form of government, a 'republic' (partially, thanks to Thomas Paine's Common Sense) in which a monarchy does not exist, and there is a degree of popular representation. Correct? Now, ask yourself what this concept is, a republic? In 509 BC, in Rome, Lucius Junius Brutus overthrew the last of the Etruscan kings, Tarquinus Superbus, and established a new form of government based upon collegiality and public consent. Rome called her new government, res publica, a public concern. SPQR ('the Senate and the People of Rome'). From now on, government was in the hands of the city of Rome.

This is Led Zeppelin levels of plagiarism here. America's founding fathers merely ripped off Rome's constitution. They should have been sued for copyright infringement.

• Like 1

I don't know enough about the Roman Empire to make a contribution. I've always been interested in people's comparisons with the collapse of the Roman Empire and the supposed conspiracy collapse of the USA, so if anyone would like to send a report I'd be happy to read it.

The Roman Empire lasted for over 400 years (if you don't count the Holy Roman Empire).

We're good.

;)

So you date the Empire beginning from A.D. 17 with Augustus? Because The Romans denied being an empire for the longest time. The Republic became an Empire as soon as they've started absorbing other cities and eventually set their sights on the Mediterranean and across the Adriatic Sea. Even the Caesars have denied being emperors, just simply defenders of the Senate and Republics. Later on they gave up the charade and called themselves Emperor. So in truth, the Roman Empire lasted almost 1,000 years. Even longer if you count the Byzantines who eventually became more Greek than Roman.

Also, the Holy Roman Empire had nothing to do with the Roman Empire.

We're good.

;)

So you date the Empire beginning from A.D. 17 with Augustus? Because The Romans denied being an empire for the longest time. The Republic became an Empire as soon as they've started absorbing other cities and eventually set their sights on the Mediterranean and across the Adriatic Sea. Even the Caesars have denied being emperors, just simply defenders of the Senate and Republics. Later on they gave up the charade and called themselves Emperor. So in truth, the Roman Empire lasted almost 1,000 years. Even longer if you count the Byzantines who eventually became more Greek than Roman.

If you say so. I was being humble. And we dominated the Earth for 400 years. B-)

The Romans did not dominate the earth for 400 years. They've dominated within their own borders and had influence over weaker states. The Persians and Parthians have bested the Romans many times, the Germanic tribes have raped the Romans several times. The Romans expanded only to where they can't conquer anymore because of either geography or because they couldn't defeat whoever it is on the other side. Citzenship was restricted to Rome and a few cities in Italy, eventually it became throughout the empire then anyone who's a Christian which destroyed the Roman identity but it didn't matter because the Western half was being devoured by Germanic tribes.

I am not even going to talk about The Huns. In reality the Romans had competition. They've defeated Carthage and the Macedonians but they've never overcome the Persians. And there The Han Dynasty was arguably more powerful in their own part of the world.

We're good.

;)

The problem here is a linguistic problem. The very word, 'empire' and 'emperor' comes from imperium and imperator. Imperium was, power within a certified region with x number of legions for a Roman general who would be thus, 'imperator'. It was, ironically, a functioning form of republican government. Numerous magistrates were, imperators, holding imperium at the same time as other imperators. The problem for us is that, under Augustus the terms were monopolised by the man in charge, i.e. Augustus and the Julian-Claudians. Fast forward to our modern age, we now see 'emperor' as the primary leader of some polity, and, 'empire', as some domineering power holding numerous nations down.

It truly is about linguistics as the actual Roman Emperors never referred to themselves as 'Roman Emperors'. A 'Roman Emperor' was a 'princeps', which broadly translates as, 'first man' (which is why historians prefer to call the Roman Empire, the Principate). But yes, he was 'imperator' because Augustus monopolised military power for, solely, the Julii (thus technically, they held the antecedent word for, 'emperor' among multiple titles).

Relative to the discussion and in layman's terms, basically there was a Roman Empire, before, the Roman Emperor. I think the Punic Wars, when Rome became a Mediterranean power, is a significant step of empirehood.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1