The look you get when you tell a chick you just met your favorite band is Gun N' Roses

Ace Nova

13 hours ago, emybdc said:

Where do you live?

Cause I'm from the south of Brazil and here is a totally different scenario. I get eye rolls everytime I talk about GnR. The few people who get it and share my love for the band are my musician friends.

RS. South as well. It doesn't take too much for me to find someone that won't give an eye roll to Gn'R most of them saw Fantastico back in the day, early to mid 90's. Gn'R used to be featured quite frequently, which in part explains its reputation here. I usually speak with late gen Y's and most of them at least know the band and like I said before, girls usually react favorably when you mention guns, even if they say they like sertanejo and Brasil's bastardized idea of funk better, whereas guys usually tell me straight out that guns is not their thing and that Slash was still badass and Axl was totally gay. Idk, perhaps you're dealing with a diferent demographic group.

Pink Floyd on the other hand seems to be an unanimity around here, everybody likes it or at least poses as a fan, especially when one of the surviving members is gigging around: "Yeah, I love Pink Floyd. Dark Side is my favorite album, it only has masterpieces like The Wall". 

Edit: I hate autocorrect, especially when it is correcting in portuguese english phrases.

Edited by Chewbacca

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Edit: I hate autocorrect, especially when it is correcting in portuguese english phrases.

Or 'American English' to correct English? I seem to spend a large portion of my time here adding missing 'u's to words like 'rumour' and changing '-zation', which I find plebeian, to '-sation'.

3 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Is this the lass you really fancied? 

Sorry dude, but the Coldplay thing wouldn't have gotten my approval anyway. :P 

Nah, this lassie was just a friend. The one I went out with loved Guns N Roses :P .

Edited by Graeme

On 14/02/2016 at 10:57 PM, Chewbacca said:

RS. South as well. It doesn't take too much for me to find someone that won't give an eye roll to Gn'R most of them saw Fantastico back in the day, early to mid 90's. Gn'R used to be featured quite frequently, which in part explains its reputation here. I usually speak with late gen Y's and most of them at least know the band and like I said before, girls usually react favorably when you mention guns, even if they say they like sertanejo and Brasil's bastardized idea of funk better, whereas guys usually tell me straight out that guns is not their thing and that Slash was still badass and Axl was totally gay. Idk, perhaps you're dealing with a diferent demographic group.

Pink Floyd on the other hand seems to be an unanimity around here, everybody likes it or at least poses as a fan, especially when one of the surviving members is gigging around: "Yeah, I love Pink Floyd. Dark Side is my favorite album, it only has masterpieces like The Wall". 

My mom always says gaúchos are smarter (she's one of you! lol). Actually I went to the 2006 NuGnR concert in Porto Alegre.

Anyways.. GnR is not big among my friends, but most of them don't really know the band, they just think Axl is a joke and don't bother to listen to the music.

On 13/02/2016 at 11:47 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Brazilians were not as cynical about new gnr. The rest of the world went 'cunt' basically whereas the Brazilians merely went, ''yes that is gnr''.

I'm not sure this makes sense, but personally, living in Brazil makes me feel so far from the bands and the music scenario (maybe not so much nowadays, but that's what it used to feel like). When bands actually come it's a really big deal, specially GnR, even tough it was just Axl really. Maybe that's reason, or at least one possible explanation. It's as easy to see them, so we take the chances we get.

Overall, we are very passionate fans, it's not like that only with GnR.