The Gear Thread

They sure do. Ibanez RG8 399 bucks in ebay, in Brazil, 1899. Yup, the price you would pay for the prestige version. I don't even consider buying here anymore.

I paid 99 bucks for my variphase, here, I would have to pay 1k. Funny thing, even with the taxes, I would still pay less.

Another fact, I've only paid taxes for one pedal so far and no, I didn't lie about the price or marked it as a gift, I had no reason to do it, like I said, I was already paying less anyway. they simply have no standard here.

The only downside here is that I usually have to wait 3-5 months till it arrives.

Aw, that sucks. How much did you pay for it?

Nice axe, Omar. What are those Zebras?

*Reverse Zebra's. :P

Both are WB pick ups. Neck is a Peter Green, bridge is a Habanero, out of phase in the middle position. Both wound using wire from 1967. If you're not familiar, WB was a small company (1 guy basically) who started winding pick ups in 2005? or so. All done by hand, had a few big name clients: Brad Whitford, Frank Hannon, and a few others. He eventually got too many orders and basically shut down without telling anyone. Or I think that's how the story goes. Anyway, a lot of people got f*cked over by him, and it exploded into a scandal on MyLesPaul forums (WB's were big on there for a while). I bought mine used so I never dealt with him, though I did buy them while the company was still operating. Don't recall the exact story, but it's something like that.

Edited by OmarBradley

WB, eh? Never heard of them. When I put my eye on your axe I was: "hey, that's no burstbucker, SD or Dimarzio and it's definetely not an EMG. Gotta ask about it". I was expecting something more conventional, tbh :lol:

Btw, habanero? that's the name of the brand of pickups Grover Jackson started using on his new axes. He started the GJ2 guitar company, something similar to what G&L was to Leo, I guess.

Edited by Chewbacca

WB, eh? Never heard of them. When I put my eye on your axe I was: "hey, that's no burstbucker, SD or Dimarzio and it's definetely not an EMG. Gotta ask about it". I was expecting something more conventional, tbh :lol:

Btw, habanero? that's the name of the brand of pickups Grover Jackson started using on his new axes. He started the GJ2 guitar company, something similar to what G&L was to Leo, I guess.

Yeah WB stood for Will Bogs, the guys name. This axe never had conventional pick ups in it (under my ownership at least). I bought it used, because you'd have to be insane or very well off to buy a brand new custom shop/historic Gibson from a retailer. Before the WB's were in it there were some PAF clones wound by some mildly reputable winder, don't recall his name. Anyway they sounded pretty good but they weren't potted correctly, or something, and any time I brought the volume on my head past 4 or so, I'd get a terrible screech. Brought the guitar into my local tech, couldn't figure it out, he send the pick ups to Lindy Fralin, he couldn't figure it out either. So long story short, bought a new set of pick ups for it, and I think the WB's sound better.

Didn't know about those other Habanero's, the premise behind the name is that they're a fairly hot bridge pick up, that is for WB at least. The PG in the neck just has this great fat tone too though.

There was no way of repotting it?

Perhaps it was meant to be unpotted, It was a vintage style PAF, right? Older PAF weren't potted, if I recall correctly.

I have no idea honestly. My technical knowledge of this area is limited. It was supposed to mimic the tone of a vintage PAF; I could be wrong in what I said, it's possible the tech said something about potting and I misinterpreted it. Regardless, he and Fralin agreed there was something wrong with the pickups. I still have 'em sitting around somewhere, when I have more $ in a few years (hopefully) I'll experiment with them some more.

The jewel of my collection - I've played on a bunch of Gibson Les Pauls but this one was most definitely love at first play; I love this guitar... :)

19032011380-1.jpg

19032011383-2.jpg

My 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard red sparkle top; stock.

This video was recorded the day I got my guitar back from Feline Guitars workshop after having a set of Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pro Humbuckers fitted to the guitar.

The jewel of my collection - I've played on a bunch of Gibson Les Pauls but this one was most definitely love at first play; I love this guitar... :)

The video says 1996 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard. Was that a limited run of LP Standards done by Custom? The name "Custom Shop Les Paul Standard" sounds contradictory to me, but Gibson has done so many limited runs I just might not have known about it.

The video says 1996 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard. Was that a limited run of LP Standards done by Custom? The name "Custom Shop Les Paul Standard" sounds contradictory to me, but Gibson has done so many limited runs I just might not have known about it.

I phoned Gibson up in America from the UK because it said to call their toll free number for CS serial numbers...

It's model is 'Les Paul Standard' and it's made by the Gibson Custom Shop,

According to Gibson, it's a '1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Red Sparkle Top' - He said it was a limited run and I asked of much, and he said his database didn't say, just that it was a 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Guitar, Red Sparkle Top.

I bought it and the place I bought it from said it was a 1988... So apart from the surprise of finding out it was a 1996, everything else was cool.

This guitar plays like sex though.

I phoned Gibson up in America from the UK because it said to call their toll free number for CS serial numbers...

It's model is 'Les Paul Standard' and it's made by the Gibson Custom Shop,

According to Gibson, it's a '1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Red Sparkle Top' - He said it was a limited run and I asked of much, and he said his database didn't say, just that it was a 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Guitar, Red Sparkle Top.

I bought it and the place I bought it from said it was a 1988... So apart from the surprise of finding out it was a 1996, everything else was cool.

This guitar plays like sex though.

Heh, interesting. Yeah, generally anything made by CS is going to play excellently. I don't know much (or anything) about this particular limited run, but if you want more information, someone over at mylespaul.com/forums will certainly be able to give you more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Just sent my BOSS MD2 to Germany for a mod. The rectifier mod by Tonehunter, that is. Can't wait to get it back :)

Hopefully I will have a nice 8 stringer to match the tight low end by the time it arrives.

What 8-string did you did you decide on?

I'm still trying to decide between an rg2228 and the B8. Sincey friend is coming nack from the us really soon, I won't have enough time to order a custom agile, which is a shame. I'm waiting to see what kind of deal gearhounds and gear4music will give me on the B8. Right now I think I will go Ibanez.

I've been seriously considering getting rid of my faithful JCM 2000 (TSL 100) half-stack. I love it but I rarely get much use out of it anymore. I don't play regular gigs and life is busy among other things. Ideally I'll get an all-tube combo amp which is a bit more practical for me at this stage in life. I'm just not sure if I want to stick with Marshall (I've always been a "Les Paul through a Marshall" kind of guy) or try something new. A friend of mine has a Vox AC30 which sounds great but I'm not sure it's quite versatile enough for me. What I've always loved about the TSL was the three individual channels with individual volume, EQ, and so on.