Axl Rose : The greatest front man of all time

I think it's pretty obvious that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry wanted to be the next/American Mick n' Keef, and wanted Aerosmith to be the Great American Rock Band, but GNR came along and blew them out the water. These days, though, I'd say Aerosmith's reputation is much better than GNR's, Steven Tyler's still impressing audiences with his voice.

Rod Stewart should be pretty high on all time frontmen, David Bowie, Marc Bolan, and Steve Marriott.

Bon Scott & Phil Lynott.

Ronnie Van Zant from Skynyrd is overlooked, but put on the Old Grey Whistle Test or Knebworth and you see that dude delivering the goods.

Steve Perry had "the voice" and the girls swooning at the time, and they were one of the top arena level bands of their day.

Back in the day, Perry Farrell was Axl's competition as the best frontman on Sunset in the 80s. David Lee Roth can't be discounted, even if his voice can. When Axl was wearing assless chaps, where do you think that came from?

Ozzy and Ian Gillan were phenomenal in the early 70s.

I think it's pretty obvious that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry wanted to be the next/American Mick n' Keef, and wanted Aerosmith to be the Great American Rock Band, but GNR came along and blew them out the water. These days, though, I'd say Aerosmith's reputation is much better than GNR's, Steven Tyler's still impressing audiences with his voice.

Steven is up there, along with Axl. My vote goes to Jim Morrison as THE best frontman.

• Like 1

no one comes close to axl. he invented the snake dance and raspy vocals. everyone that tries to give him a hard time are just jealous that they were not there to do what he did first. axl is the figure for originality and awesome work ethic. stop hatin' :fuckyou:

Guest Len B'stard
no one comes close to axl. he invented the snake dance and raspy vocals. everyone that tries to give him a hard time are just jealous that they were not there to do what he did first. axl is the figure for originality and awesome work ethic. stop hatin'

This is just plain bullshit, Axl invented dancing while swinging your hips? I got news for you boss, no he didn't, no rockstar did :lol: Jagger was doing 'the snake dance' back when Axl was still in school.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

I think some people here need to pull their head out of GN'R's arsehole.

Not enough Axl hate in the thread for you?

Y'know why that stuffs bothers all of yous? Cuz you know they got a point with about 90% of the shit they say.

I wrote this for a debate on this very subject, it was much more convincing when read aloud:

Why I regard Axl Rose as the greatest

I can imagine that if you somehow had the opportunity to enter the realms of hell and partake in a rock n' roll singing lesson, it would go something like this:

The devil would encourage you to try an impression of Freddie Mercury's operatic boom, and you would probably succeed. He'd then usher you onto an impression of Robert Plant's shrill echo, and you'd do it a degree of justice. "Extend the left part of your upper lip and strike the southern charm of Elvis Presley". Again, you'd probably pass with flying colours. Now, prepare yourself for something a little more difficult. Fixture a scowl across your face. Widen the corners of your mouth and bear your teeth. Stomp your foot on a nearby teleprompter and suffocate the microphone with your ferocious squeeze. Now make the noise of a Bengal tiger that's been possessed by the soul of every great frontman that's ever lived. At this point you're sweating, you're suddenly losing your audience. Sorry compadre, nobody can do it exactly as Mr. Rose.

That's the most significant quality of any good frontman, the unmistakable voice. Many tend to become embroiled in the eccentricity of their lifestyles, but it's the voice that propels a wannabe rockstar into the imagination of every nearby groupie. And make no mistake my friends, that is where nobody competes with Axl Rose. From the hair-raising delay in 'you're gonna dieee', to the mind-boggling breakdown in Patience, to the eery heartbreak of Estranged, to the raw power of There Was A Time's finale. It's as glorious as the execution of Colonel Kurtz. As vivid as the imagery of Avatar. As compelling as the plot to Dave Fincher's Seven. When you get hooked on the Axl Rose drug, you'll always reserve a day in your week to finding out what he's upto next. The voice is Brando in The Godfather, O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, Freeman in Shawshank. It's gripping.

And it doesn't end there. Arguers would point to the tache and tights of Mercury, the locks and leather of Plant, the jumpsuit and quiff of Presley. Do they realize just how many images Axl Rose has been notorious for? Public Enemy hats (when rap wasn't cool to be repping as a white rockstar), hockey vests, bicycle shorts, kilts, hi-tops, bandanas. Kanye might be normalizing those styles now, but he's just paying homage to the original bold-dresser. Fast forward a couple of years and you're talking reggae cornrows, knee-length football jerseys, steel-toe boots. Go even further and you're onto shiny jackets, cowboy hats (which he apparently had a taxi for in Dublin), Jesus pieces, guyliner, arm spanning bling, cane, diamond earrings... and a biker glove for good measure. Rockstars reinvent themselves, they wear what they want. Regardless of contemporary commentary, they know they'll be vindicated by future trends.

Excess. The third of The Frontman's Three Commandments. And boy does Axl outdo everybody in this game of recklessness. Yeah Ozzy drinks a lot, digests bats and hammers his liver. Yeah Kurt took a sawn-off shotgun and blew his own head to pieces. Yeah Elvis ate hamburgers and died on the toilet. But you could literally write a best-seller just detailing Axl's antics.

Picture an intimate gig, Axl is evidently unhappy with the presence of a pap. "How dare you profit off my band", he thinks, "or dare to photograph my bad side". He refers the venue's security to the concert goer's camera, but in an act of impatience, he jumps from stage, onto the aghast pap. 'I'll take it goddamn it' were his departing words, as he protectively removes his biket hat and jacket. Presumably before beating the photo-taker to a pulp.

Or let's talk about the making of Appetite. Gee, guys, we definitely need a girl orgasming during the breakdown of "Rocket Queen". At this point you're thinking, surely there's special-effects for that? But no, instead, Axl Rose opted to to record himself shagging a band groupie in the studio. So when Justin Bieber makes that his next move, you know where it happened first.

Or how about after inciting a riot. - inadverently or otherwise - in St. Louis, Axl encodes a special message in the artwork of The Spaghetti Incident?. "Fuck you St. Louis" it reads, and if you look even closer, you'll be able to decipher a further message saying "Fuck Em All" (created using the system of the infamous Zodiac Killer).

And if you think Axl's unconventional antics ended as a younger man - as with most rockstars - you're wrong. It gets even better as the Chinese Democracy era ushers in. How many rockstars have had the opportunity to throw 13 million pound on a record? It reminds you of the time Howard Hughes invested 13 million dollars in developing "The Hercules". Or how many frontmen, after seeing their iconic line-up depart for more lucrative waters, develop a line-up that defines avante-garde? Usually when a rockstar loses somebody like Slash, they go after another cigarete-brandishing epitomy of cool. Instead Axl brought in a dude wearing a KFC bucket, who was partial to breakdancing and utilizing nunchucks. Where did Buckethead display these hidden talents? Why, just during Guns N' Roses return to a mass audience. In front of thousands upon thousands at the third installment of Rock in Rio. It was truly a biblical scene. South America's Prodgial Son, and some different looking disciples. P.S. Did I mention that Axl took Buckethead to Disneyland in a bid to stop him leaving the band?

Let's talk about the time a producer tried to get Axl to listen to a certain style of CD. While Ozzy may have heeded the wishes of the studio on Black Sabbath's latest effort, Axl was having none of it. Instead of conciously adapting Chinese to appease the studio, Axl threw the CDs in his yard and crushed them with a car.

Or did you know, while the world waited for GNR's next move, Axl found time to partake in a video game? The next time you spin your copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, look out for a DJ going by the name of Tommy 'The Nightmare' Smith. That's Axl.

Some of you will be familiar with this recent story. Axl recently rented a lush NYC pad for several years. The obvious "rockstar" thing to do would be trashing the place, right? Well, think outside the box for a minute. Because despite departing with a significant sum on a monthly basis, Axl never set foot in the place. Excess.

And finally, how about the first glimpse we got of Axl post-Chinese Democracy? Note: he didn't agree with the marketing strategy of the label and went AWOL in terms of promotion. But finally, in late 2009 a tour was in the works. Axl is spotted departing the grand old US of A through LAX (going to Taiwan). But when nearby journalists get aggressive, getting in the face of Beta Lebeis (a personal manager, who Axl regards as a mother figure); Axl becomes irate. He brutally punches the greatest offender, defiantly declaring, 'he hit our mother!'.

So as you can see ladies and gentlemen - this Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame skipping, 1 in the morning performing, every few years appearing man - is the living incarnation of rockstar frontman. Love him or hate him, you'll never lose your fascination.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 2