Axl Rose : The greatest front man of all time

Guest Len B'stard
The devil would encourage you to try an impression of Freddie Mercury's operatic boom, and you would probably succeed. He'd then usher you onto an impression of Robert Plant's shrill echo, and you'd do it a degree of justice. "Extend the left part of your upper lip and strike the southern charm of Elvis Presley". Again, you'd probably pass with flying colours. Now, prepare yourself for something a little more difficult. Fixture a scowl across your face. Widen the corners of your mouth and bear your teeth. Stomp your foot on a nearby teleprompter and suffocate the microphone with your ferocious squeeze. Now make the noise of a Bengal tiger that's been possessed by the soul of every great frontman that's ever lived. At this point you're sweating, you're suddenly losing your audience. Sorry compadre, nobody can do it exactly as Mr. Rose.

Nobody can do it exactly like anybody, and based on the indisputable fact of Axl being derivative in this regard, don't really hold a lot of water.

And it doesn't end there. Arguers would point to the tache and tights of Mercury, the locks and leather of Plant, the jumpsuit and quiff of Presley. Do they realize just how many images Axl Rose has been notorious for? Public Enemy hats (when rap wasn't cool to be repping as a white rockstar), hockey vests, bicycle shorts, kilts, hi-tops, bandanas. Kanye might be normalizing those styles now, but he's just paying homage to the original bold-dresser. Fast forward a couple of years and you're talking reggae cornrows, knee-length football jerseys, steel-toe boots. Go even further and you're onto shiny jackets, cowboy hats (which he apparently had a taxi for in Dublin), Jesus pieces, guyliner, arm spanning bling, cane, diamond earrings... and a biker glove for good measure. Rockstars reinvent themselves, they wear what they want. Regardless of contemporary commentary, they know they'll be vindicated by future trends.

Sorry but to cite Axl as the monolith of enduring rock n roll imagery in that sense is just absolutely ridiculous. Laughable even. There are lesser stars and musicians that have more enduring stuff like that than Axl.

Excess. The third of The Frontman's Three Commandments. And boy does Axl outdo everybody in this game of recklessness. Yeah Ozzy drinks a lot, digests bats and hammers his liver. Yeah Kurt took a sawn-off shotgun and blew his own head to pieces. Yeah Elvis ate hamburgers and died on the toilet. But you could literally write a best-seller just detailing Axl's antics.

Picture an intimate gig, Axl is evidently unhappy with the presence of a papp. "How dare you profit off my band", he thinks, "or dare to photograph my bad side". He refers the venue's security to the concert goer's camera, but in an act of impatience, he jumps from stage, onto the aghast papp. 'I'll take it goddamn it' were his departing words, as he protectively removes his biket hat and jacket. Presumably before beating the photo-taker to a pulp.

Keith Richards, Johnny Thunders, Iggy Pop, take your pick. Axl jumps into stadium crowds with an entire employed security force behind him when he acts like a badman, Iggy Pop did the same thing in bars full of irate bikers in the 1960s dressed in a tutu with smeared lipstick and glitter on. Axl isn't even close to impressive on that front.

Guest Len B'stard

What sort of hard man wears glitter and lipstick.

Ill wage Axl could kick iggys ass.

Funnily enough being a hard man hasn't got much to do with being a frontman fella :lol: As far as your first comment:

1214739883.jpg

Sorry, what were you sayin? :lol:

• Like 1

why do people give axl so much grief? he saved guns and roses from heroin junkies trying to steal the gnr legacy that axl started. axl is guns nd roses

Heroin junkies are the chosen ones sent to us by God (including Iggy).

Edited by Scumcat Esq.
  • Like 1

you can compare and contrast variables based on your assessment of the tenets of what it is to be a great or the greatest frontman or the generally accepted tenets of what it is to be a great frontman, stack em up and compare the individuals in question, it's by no means a definitive mathematical thing but it's the closest equivalent achieved through reasoning

Yet you still did not mention the person who is heralded by most the greatest. Why is that? Because you dislike him? Where's the reasoning you're talking about? :shrugs:

no one comes close to axl. he invented the snake dance and raspy vocals. everyone that tries to give him a hard time are just jealous that they were not there to do what he did first. axl is the figure for originality and awesome work ethic. stop hatin' :fuckyou:

he's the greatest, no doubt about it. Makes me feel sad for the rest---

Dear Lord :lol: Axl invented raspy vocals yo

Guest Len B'stard

Conclusion: GUNSGUY IS THE GREATEST FRONTMAN EVER! :lol:

Yet you still did not mention the person who is heralded by most the greatest. Why is that? Because you dislike him? Where's the reasoning you're talking about? :shrugs:

I'm sorry, i don't think i get what you mean, i haven't mentioned the person most heralded as the greatest? Yes i have, extensively, half this thread i been banging on about Mick Jagger. I think I've misunderstood your post.

• Like 1

You absolutely proived my point - you're totally biased against the likes of Axl and Freddie.

Mick had the commercial appeal, came first and his legacy will live forever, but as performer, sorry, Mick's "dance" cant hold a candle to what both did on stage. Yes, MANY music fans and even musicians would agree with that.

Gotta disagree with you both there, Iggy is 10 times the frontman Axl was, he's 60 something now and still as energetic as even a young Axl, the stuff Iggy has done on stage in the way of making a show just fuckin' beggars belief, you can't seriously compare someone like Axl to Iggy, not on any day of the week, Axl doesn't have the nerve or the guts to be a frontman like Ig'.

I mean you guys go on about passion and intensity...all goes for a toss when someone chucks a bottle or something, doesn't it? Iggy fuckin' just tears through music, THATS passion, when people are pelting you with shit and you're egging them on and whirling like a dervish and dancing in this totally fuckin' deranged free and easy 8 yr old going mental way, when you roar your fuckin' lungs and perform with no regard for your personal safety or anything, when you're just trapped in the fucking music and possessed by it, THAT to me communicates passion, not Axl going through a bunch of set rote dance routines that he's been doing since forever, it's hard to convey passion through something so heavily designed and coregraphed looking.

Ig', today, as an older man than Axl, would blow him off any stage in the world...and a young Iggy? Fuckin' forget about it, Axl ain't worthy of mention in the same sentence.

Choreographed? no matter what you say about guns today Axl dances the way he dances because he feels it, not because he's worked out set dances or reactions to the music (besides the end of Live and let die). Talking out your ass on this one.

Iggy pop is more choreographed than Axl, Iggy is an act a persona whereas when Axl get's up on stage that's him with no false pretense. Iggy would have a job besting young Axl he could have a go with current day but he just doesn't have the same charisma and that's why Axl is thought of in the best ever while Iggy is one of the best but not hitting the top 10.

Sorry but to cite Axl as the monolith of enduring rock n roll imagery in that sense is just absolutely ridiculous. Laughable even. There are lesser stars and musicians that have more enduring stuff like that than Axl.

It was delivered tongue in cheek. Pure purple prose, man.

no one comes close to axl. he invented the snake dance and raspy vocals. everyone that tries to give him a hard time are just jealous that they were not there to do what he did first. axl is the figure for originality and awesome work ethic. stop hatin' :fuckyou:

This is a joke account, right?

The snake dance and raspy vocals were around long before Axl Rose.

And only losers are jealous of other people.

Axl is my favorite rock front man of all time.

But is he the best of all time? I think he sure could have been, and that's not something you can say about many people.

A couple more albums with the old band, and then a couple more albums since then - and I think Axl would/could have easily made this a different conversation.

His off the mic behavior and small body of work prevent him from being the "best" of all time. But he certainly belongs in the conversation and a top 10 ranking.

And the "nobody commands a stage like Axl" stuff.....you do realize that's ONLY because he is your favorite singer, right? Seeing your all time favorite musician live gives you a different and more special feeling than seeing others in concert. Kind of like watching your child play sports or compete in a spelling bee or act in a play. Your 10-year-old's performance is going to move you to tears while the random 10-year-old kid beside him is gonna "suck" in comparison.

People on here often aren't able to separate their own personal favorite over what is actually the truth.

I'm sure even he would cringe reading threads like this being compared to his influences. If we must also discuss cult status people remember more bad than good, acknowledging his talents but ultimately they are nowhere near the relms of any mentions on the first page and that comes from somebody who defends and respects Axl on a human level. You can repave roads but don't forget who crafted them. Only people on these forums come up with such silliness but I suppose that's partially why I'm here.

P.S. the snake dance has been around since The Monkees about 50 years ago and probably well before.

Edited by Street Of The Blues

Guest Len B'stard

You absolutely proived my point - you're totally biased against the likes of Axl and Freddie.

Mick had the commercial appeal, came first and his legacy will live forever, but as performer, sorry, Mick's "dance" cant hold a candle to what both did on stage. Yes, MANY music fans and even musicians would agree with that.

I don't understand your point or how i've proved it, both from your initial post and this one too, perhaps you could explain it another way? As far as Micks dancing not being able to hold a candle to Axl, thats ridiculous, Mick can ACTUALLY dance, you know that right? Not just do 'his' dances but actually dancing and styles of dancing. Axl Rose gets cited for being this great snake hipped dancer and the bastard can't even move his hips without throwing his legs outwards, what you're saying here is patently ridiculous, Jagger is almost on the level of like, professional dancers. He's not exactly there, don't get me wrong but he's a world apart from Axl who, apparently, can only really do 'his' schtick. As a dancer Mick has evolved over the years, learned steps from all different dances, followed new crazes and assimilated them into his dancing, Axl is still doing the same shit moves wise that he was 25 years ago, only slower and more knackered looking.

Choreographed? no matter what you say about guns today Axl dances the way he dances because he feels it, not because he's worked out set dances or reactions to the music (besides the end of Live and let die). Talking out your ass on this one.

Iggy pop is more choreographed than Axl, Iggy is an act a persona whereas when Axl get's up on stage that's him with no false pretense. Iggy would have a job besting young Axl he could have a go with current day but he just doesn't have the same charisma and that's why Axl is thought of in the best ever while Iggy is one of the best but not hitting the top 10.

Yes Choreographed, because he does the same set moves all the time…just slower now cuz he's older. He even does them in roughly the same places of each song that he plays over and over.
So, lemme get this straight, in your opinion, Iggy, the guy who is totally unpredictable onstage from one moment to the next, who you don't whether he's gonna whip his dick out or leap into the crowd or have an epileptic fit, he's choreographed but Axl, who adheres to the above prescribed, he's being himself? Don't really bear scrutiny to be honest.
Iggy Pop is impossible to choreograph and y'know why? Cuz they ain't dance moves he's doing, what Iggy does isn't dancing in the sense of a series of moves, it's just him totally and shamelessly moving his body in whatever way he feels like, that shit ain't dancing, when you shake like a madman tryna make his brain rattle in his head.
The fact is he does a series of dances, the swaying snake hip thing, the bent over foot-stomping whilst dancing in a circle thing, the high leg kick etc etc and those are his things and thats what he does, a series of set moves that he almost never deviates from, thats why it gives you the feel of something choreographed…but how do you choreograph this:
This notion of Axl being original when he was like, the spearhead of the most derivative retro band of recent memory is just laughable, I mean look at GnR, all of them, they are the influenced, not the influencers and to suggest anything besides is folly.
Edited by sugaraylen

This is a joke account, right?

The snake dance and raspy vocals were around long before Axl Rose.

And only losers are jealous of other people.

Axl is my favorite rock front man of all time.

But is he the best of all time? I think he sure could have been, and that's not something you can say about many people.

A couple more albums with the old band, and then a couple more albums since then - and I think Axl would/could have easily made this a different conversation.

His off the mic behavior and small body of work prevent him from being the "best" of all time. But he certainly belongs in the conversation and a top 10 ranking.

And the "nobody commands a stage like Axl" stuff.....you do realize that's ONLY because he is your favorite singer, right? Seeing your all time favorite musician live gives you a different and more special feeling than seeing others in concert. Kind of like watching your child play sports or compete in a spelling bee or act in a play. Your 10-year-old's performance is going to move you to tears while the random 10-year-old kid beside him is gonna "suck" in comparison.

People on here often aren't able to separate their own personal favorite over what is actually the truth.

I've seen aerosmith, Metallica, and another host of big names that I love but Axl just manages to be more compelling on stage. He is my favourite performer and the reason is he is fantastic when he's on. Yeah, he's not the greatest for all the valid points you made but when he's on I find it hard to think of another singer bar Freddie mercury that could take him down. Freddie is the greatest of all time and if he was still alive and performing he would be my favourite, but I'm specifically talking about living performers.

Guest Len B'stard

I'm sure even he would cringe reading threads like this being compared to his influences. If we must also discuss cult status people remember more bad than good, acknowledging his talents but ultimately they are nowhere near the relms of any mentions on the first page and that comes from somebody who defends and respects Axl on a human level. You can repave roads but don't forget who crafted them. Only people on these forums come up with such silliness but I suppose that's partially why I'm here.

P.S. the snake dance has been around since The Monkees about 50 years ago and probably well before.

Thank you, they called him Davy Jones, i'm glad someone here knows what they're chattin' about. And even Dacy didn't invent it as you rightly point out.

If you want to add Freddie Mercury to a "best frontman" conversation, might as well add Liza Minnelli too

The only relation in that is tha Fred was a Liza fan. Other than that...

Everyone has a different opinion, so it's pointless to say "this guy is the best". But.. if you ask everybody i'm pretty sure that Freddie walks winning this.

Well, this...

is better than this

In terms of raw performance, vocals, rock, showmanship, etc. And Axl was singing to a Queen crowd in the UK!

Mick could dance. Sorry, rock is not a "I can dance better than you" thing. I'm not saying Axl was the most original, I am saying that he was an outstanding rock frontman, just like Jagger. But in terms of fronting a rock band, Axl takes the edge in my books.

Edited by Bruno P.

I don't understand your point or how i've proved it, both from your initial post and this one too, perhaps you could explain it another way? As far as Micks dancing not being able to hold a candle to Axl, thats ridiculous, Mick can ACTUALLY dance, you know that right? Not just do 'his' dances but actually dancing and styles of dancing. Axl Rose gets cited for being this great snake hipped dancer and the bastard can't even move his hips without throwing his legs outwards, what you're saying here is patently ridiculous, Jagger is almost on the level of like, professional dancers. He's not exactly there, don't get me wrong but he's a world apart from Axl who, apparently, can only really do 'his' schtick. As a dancer Mick has evolved over the years, learned steps from all different dances, followed new crazes and assimilated them into his dancing, Axl is still doing the same shit moves wise that he was 25 years ago, only slower and more knackered looking.

Yes Choreographed, because he does the same set moves all the time…just slower now cuz he's older. He even does them in roughly the same places of each song that he plays over and over.
So, lemme get this straight, in your opinion, Iggy, the guy who is totally unpredictable onstage from one moment to the next, who you don't whether he's gonna whip his dick out or leap into the crowd or have an epileptic fit, he's choreographed but Axl, who adheres to the above prescribed, he's being himself? Don't really bear scrutiny to be honest.
Iggy Pop is impossible to choreograph and y'know why? Cuz they ain't dance moves he's doing, what Iggy does isn't dancing in the sense of a series of moves, it's just him totally and shamelessly moving his body in whatever way he feels like, that shit ain't dancing, when you shake like a madman tryna make his brain rattle in his head.
The fact is he does a series of dances, the swaying snake hip thing, the bent over foot-stomping whilst dancing in a circle thing, the high leg kick etc etc and those are his things and thats what he does, a series of set moves that he almost never deviates from, thats why it gives you the feel of something choreographed…but how do you choreograph this:
This notion of Axl being original when he was like, the spearhead of the most derivative retro band of recent memory is just laughable, I mean look at GnR, all of them, they are the influenced, not the influencers and to suggest anything besides is folly.

Derivative band, yada, yada if you can't stand him and Guns n Roses you have a funny way of showing it. why are you on this forum if you think the musics derivative and you can't stand you're cooked up interpretation that Axl choreographs all his moves on stage.

Iggy is an act, I didn't say he was choreographed, I said his on stage antics are a persona and he has moves that he does too, shaking his ass with his hands on the kick drum, jumping into the crowd, these things are moves and every artist has there moves like it or not, what I'm saying is the music dictates how you feel, dance... if you're enjoying you will dance and jump around, he's not an actor up there and he wouldn't strike me as the type of guy that would go down the route of choreographing (that goes for Iggy and another host of singer/performers).