Axl Rose : The greatest front man of all time

One of the best in his prime 85-93 but as Sugar stated nobody tops Sir Mick Jagger in my book the way he handles the crowd............

This is on par with Bridge School and Rio....

(except Axl's tickets were probably $250 cheaper)

Edited by Axl_morris

Proof if proof is needed that GN'R fans lack all sanity. So Axl is better than Elvis, Jagger, James Brown, Little Richard, is he?

As a frontman? Uh, look, there's something you didnt get. Fronting a bigger band does not mean that Jagger is the better frontman. Point in case: he is a better frontman than Lennon was yet Lennon could run circles around him as a musician.

If you carve out that 5-6 year period when Axl was in his prime, then he probably deserves to at least be in the conversation of "greatest frontman". But looking at his overall career, probably not. Now his embarrassing performances are just as legendary as his epic ones used to be.

If you carve out that 5-6 year period when Axl was in his prime, then he probably deserves to at least be in the conversation of "greatest frontman". But looking at his overall career, probably not. Now his embarrassing performances are just as legendary as his epic ones used to be.

Overall career then I would agree- no way. But Axl's reign from the AFD days up until 1993 I still say is untouchable.

Overall career then I would agree- no way. But Axl's reign from the AFD days up until 1993 I still say is untouchable.

Exactly. For that time period, Axl was The Man.

Shame that that guy disappeared and then came back without the same fire and desire.

Do you think he'll ever come remotely close to what he once was.....or do you think he is just content riding out his career by living off the past?

You absolutely proived my point - you're totally biased against the likes of Axl and Freddie.

Mick had the commercial appeal, came first and his legacy will live forever, but as performer, sorry, Mick's "dance" cant hold a candle to what both did on stage. Yes, MANY music fans and even musicians would agree with that.

Well, this...

is better than this

In terms of raw performance, vocals, rock, showmanship, etc. And Axl was singing to a Queen crowd in the UK!

Mick could dance. Sorry, rock is not a "I can dance better than you" thing. I'm not saying Axl was the most original, I am saying that he was an outstanding rock frontman, just like Jagger. But in terms of fronting a rock band, Axl takes the edge in my books.

this is way more fair

this is way more fair

I like how the fool on here compared Axl in his prime to an old Mick. Stack the deck much?

then tell rolling stones not to put an "official" in their vids. Look, of course I checked other vids, but what Mick does in terms of psysical performances does not change much through the years - in fact most performances are equal or very similar to his past performances. All he does is shake his ass. :lol: Axl, on the other hand, lost a lot of his stamina, power and whatnot, so his performances weakened a lot since his heydays. Plus I wanted to post performances of well known songs performed in front of huge crowds so we could see the allegedly premise that "nobody could work a crowd like Jagger".

Take this vid - he's still dancing, dancing, dancing. That's all.

Yeah, being from the Star City, you're bound to grow up and become a big rock star.

A question to the residents of L.A.: does it bother you that seemingly every asshole from every distant or not-so-distant state of America comes to your city to fulfil his/her big American dream?

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

Proof if proof is needed that GN'R fans lack all sanity. So Axl is better than Elvis, Jagger, James Brown, Little Richard, is he?

As a frontman? Uh, look, there's something you didnt get. Fronting a bigger band does not mean that Jagger is the better frontman. Point in case: he is a better frontman than Lennon was yet Lennon could run circles around him as a musician.

I meant better frontman. Axl cannot hold a candle to Mick; he is not fit to clean Mick's socks in the frontmanship stakes.

Axl's best performances particularly in the 80s to 91 definitely rank him as the best performer up there with Joplin, Hendrix and Morrison At his best he has no match. The 88 Mtv special he was unreal and committed to every movement and note. It was liking watching Janis Joplin it was that intense.

Just watching the 1080p live in london and when that "do you know where you are???!!!" comes on, it still gives me goosebumps and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up everytime. He may not be the best anymore and maybe he never was but god damn he's good.