Gardening

Gracii Guns

The Black Turtle beans I was worried wouldn't germinate have already done just that!!!!! Powerhouses!

Carrot beds are prepped. Still lots to sow after that, but nothing time sensitive. Will be sowing a lot of perennials that wont produce this year, but will grow enough to survive winter, hopefully.

• Like 1

God the pergola is a fucking mess.  I use to have that whole area under control and let other people come in and take it.  I'm okay with people taking over my shit, more than enough on my plate but when you change it all up, complicate the fuck out of it and then walk away to leave somebody else to maintain it and nobody does, it falls back on me.  Threw the picnic tables out for the moment.  Cleared the area and am going at it.  Not always the happy gardener but a certain amount of pissed off really helps. :lol:

• Haha 1

A certain amount of pissed off is an amazing motivator for me in garden sometimes too! :lol: Which is especially good with my garden of clay and weeds, as it doesnt need any help to piss me off!

Today is the turning point at my garden!! Carrots go in. Ima weed the perimeter and sow some nettle at back to fight off unwanted weeds. And Im gonna save my poor lil fennel. Those beds are so unbelievably overrun with weeds - it looks like it was never cleared. So these tiny shoot of fennel that basically look like a single sprig of dill are just suffocating under there. Its a very delicate operation to not break them while weeding especially since I cant really see them.

If all goes well today, next time I can actually enjoy just being at the garden for a few minutes with out my head spinning!!

46 minutes ago, soon said:

next time I can actually enjoy just being at the garden for a few minutes with out my head spinning

That's the goal, can I just be there without seeing a bunch of other shit to do.  I would love to tour other gardens but it takes all my time to work this one.  Not complaining, just the way it is.  Just being in a garden is for vacation time.

• GNFNR 1

They took my picture with my legacy tree.  It's outgrown me even with my arms up.  I'm sure I looked my best after being out there working in the hot sun for the last 2 hours. :lol:  Honestly I don't think the rest of the group would recognize me cleaned up.

17 hours ago, cineater said:

They took my picture with my legacy tree.  It's outgrown me even with my arms up.  I'm sure I looked my best after being out there working in the hot sun for the last 2 hours. :lol:  Honestly I don't think the rest of the group would recognize me cleaned up.

Must be a cool feeling to see your legacy tree outgrow you! 

Im actually partial to a bit of dirt on the face and frizzy hair at the garden :lol:

Love that tree.

My friend wants to turn her front yard into all native wildflowers.  I could grow up a bunch for her if she will plant them in the fall.  She's in the process of remodeling one house and trying to get moved over there.  So far I've painted over there, cleared out the brush in the yard, planted two beds and power washed the house.  I'm a little fucking tired!  But it would be simple enough.  The spot she wants to do is junk to begin with.  We could cover it with cardboard or a tarp, kill off what's there and come along in the fall to plant.  And here's the fun part.  You attach a little, long auger to a drill driver and just drill out the planting holes.  Plop your plant in and you're done.  I went from cussing to fun.  I'm crazy!

Well, 300 out of 400 carrots planted at least. And I weeded my fennel beds - they sure were being starved and shaded. Hopefully they will grow quick to catch up. Takes me 45 minutes just to water, so Im eyeing some sprinklers and such. So I can weed while sprinkler is on.  

I think my first set of peas are just about ready!!!!!                                

Sounds like a perfect night.

Yep, I'm a one person household. Im growing a variety that is good in clay, the chantey carrots, which are shorter than many types of carrot. I tried to space them correctly but will no doubt thin them down to as low as 350. I eat pretty heathy so hopefully the harvest will supply my daily vitamin A for the year.

cIdIzFrl.jpg

First ones harvested will be to accompany some buffalo wings with blue cheese dip. Second and Third bunch are for carrot cake!!!! The rest will be frozen, canned, pickled or lacto-fermented. And the carrot tops will be used in pickling liquids, dried for seasoning, made into pesto, frozen for future soups, etc. 

• Like 1

I love em too! My cousin turned orange for a week when we were kids because we ate so many, lol!

Thanks for asking about the garlic. That is good news! Gonna do some this fall. I got some Roja garlic from the market once and loved em, so I'll see about planting those

I'm growing some Lemon Balm in pots on my back porch. I already harvested some and set up a drying rack. I just went to take a picture of the plants and staring back at me was a Black Widow spider!!!! :wow::wacko:

A neighbour was bitten and the effect was almost immediate and they were rushed to hospital.

My neighbor's swapped out their dark wooden fence for that white plastic stuff.  I had a nice dark woodsy effect going on and now it's all bright.  My plants really stand out and the yard looks bigger.  It's a solid wall so no airflow.  It's really white!  Kind of glows in the dark. :lol:  I've set some of my coleus pots out there for some color but I think I need some taller plants to break up that wall of whiteness.  Kudos to the installation crew for not trampling all over my plants. 

8 hours ago, cineater said:

I don't get what I'm doing wrong.  I can post a picture directly from my computer to another board and I'm pulling it from there to put here.

I bet theres a Youtube tutorial for whatever site you are using?