Gardening

Gracii Guns

My peppers responded incredibly well to their pruning; instantly thickening their stalks, growing out and there are two new branches already forming out from my top stalk cuts. Whereas the top stalk wouldn't produce fruit, only use energy to grow up, there are now two fruiting branches!

2FqvOnul.jpg 

vZSifbXl.jpg 

n3f7iAal.jpg

See the little branches forming to either side of the clipped stalks? I'll do it earlier next year, its just they look so delicate - but they're not!

And my large tomato seedling that was chewed down by a critter is growing new roots!

5Rc5Xygl.jpg

And Im sure thats all thanks to the loving care of Beakers green paw:

D3pnghMl.jpg

Edited by soon
  • Like 2

Anybody else find those pictures more exciting then pictures of the band?  :lol:

Life calls and I'm letting gardening go on the back burner.  I'm painting again all weekend and there's a crisis with my niece's wedding.  The place holding her gown caught fire and the dress may be beyond being saved.  She's a little stressed.  And the grandkids are off all summer.  And there's my mother.  Working was a lot easier. :lol:

9 minutes ago, cineater said:

Anybody else find those pictures more exciting then pictures of the band?  :lol:

Life calls and I'm letting gardening go on the back burner.  I'm painting again all weekend and there's a crisis with my niece's wedding.  The place holding her gown caught fire and the dress may be beyond being saved.  She's a little stressed.  And the grandkids are off all summer.  And there's my mother.  Working was a lot easier. :lol:

"First the farmer plants her seeds, then she stands and takes her ease..." That song Oats, Peas, Beans is a lie!!!! :lol: 

Hope all your tasks go as well as can be! When you get back to the garden, you will get to enjoy all your busy spring work and the flowers will be blooming and the veggies will be growing!

Okay, that's it, lights off.  I had two six packs of petunias I started late and are finally ready to plant.  I'd like to sit on my ass at this point but I'm too sore to stay still long. :lol:

My poor tomato plant.  I'm always afraid of over watering tomatoes and the thing was bone dry, leaves wilting.  Guess the rain yesterday wasn't that great.  I'll be back doing dishes at the garden tomorrow.  I'm taking my 8 year old granddaughter there on Wednesday to harvest peas and kale.  She's like me, not afraid to sample that.

Loved seeing all the pics over the last few pages :headbang: I'll have to post pics tomorrow as its the middle of the night here, but I've been doing quite a lot in the garden too. Added a few small plants (parsley, strawberry and a few others), started growing a few veg (carrots, spinach), I've planted another tree, and I've weed-killered my front lawn as it was getting like a jungle :)

• Like 3

These little peas are all thats keeping me going. Its been difficult.

Wx0Im9Pl.jpg

And theres a bed of tiny kale sprouts too small to photo.

I was rained out for a few days. Well, the one day I was on my way to garden in the morning and noticed my 2 for 1 XL pizza coupon was about to expire. By the time I ate pizza it was raining again :lol:. Today it was a clear forecast. Caught the bus but since it had been a few days I transferred to wrong bus. Realized way too late. As soon as I got off bus it poured rain. It poured my entire 30 minute walk to garden. Good thing I've been digging deep trenches because they are filled wth water.

Sowed my quinoa, pattypan and fennel today! Shoes kept getting stuck in the clay/mud. Had to prep the one bed 3 times due to falls :facepalm:

• Like 1

We're going into a hot spell; would love some rain.  I'm busting my butt in the greenhouse trying to get all the pots and trays washed and ran through the bleach water.  Just about done.  

The pantry bed lead and I aren't working so well together.  My beds are the first to get the sun.  I have to be there before the sun clears the tree line if I'm going to get anything done.  By the time he shows up I've been there 2 to 3 hours.  I'm watering my containers and sucking on a popsicle getting ready to leave.  He decides that day what needs to be done so I can't really get a to do list from him the day before.

• Like 1

If anyone remembers I had that tomato chewed in two by a critter and have been trying to save it. I had it in water and it got to this stage of root development already:

0Wi69QYh.jpg

So I potted it up and it looks like a bonzai because the top is so developed but its so short:

Kid5aYDh.jpg

I am confident he's survived and I will start hardening him off tomorrow!

• Like 1

Yeah he did!  It kills me to do this but I would cut off those healthy leaves on the bottom.  Weaken root system so the roots won't have to support them and there is enough leaf growth at the top to support root growth.  I always cut off the bottom leaves to improve air flow and whatever wants to splash up from the ground has to jump higher.  As Evelyn says, I'm not growing leaves.  Still kills me to cut off a healthy leaf. :lol:

• Thanks 1

Sowed 90 Red Express Cabbage seeds, two per hole, today. I anticipate thinning spacing to about 35 heads. I can taste the sauerkraut and cabbage rolls already! Plus I'll have to watch the lovely Laura Vitale remind me how to make the rolls; theres just too much awesome in all this! 

Also thinned my kale, pruned my tomatoes, prepped some beds and did a lot of weeding today. A very enchanting day at the garden.

• Like 1

Those are cute.

At my friend's, we're supposed to be painting.  Guy shows up with a chainsaw, woohoo, we're going to raise the roof gardener style.  Brought her whole canopy up, lets in light to her yard and we have firewood.  The guy says, you're taking one break to my three.  I noticed plus he's on chainsaw and I'm on drag the branches into the woods.  What can I say, I've been gardening since March, he's probably been going to the gym.  :lol:

• Haha 1

Planted about 100 beets yesterday. I have about 1/2 of my garden dug/raised/weeded/sown. So in time to allow for a second round of peas, beets, pattypan and cabbage (should I want more cabbage) after I harvest all the first round! Peppers and 2nd set of tomatoes go in later this week. Its starting to look like a garden.

I believe a quinoa has sprouted. Looks like a mini-giant. Its gonna be really neat to work with. This is only the second season that people have been trying to grow it here, using seeds acclimatized to the Prairies. Im gonna try to do Three Sisters approach replacing corn with Quinoa. I only planted the pattypan with it so far and will wait on the beans until I can tell if the quinoa stalk can support them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

@cineater How did it go with your tomatoes? The ones with a bit of leaf roll?

Turns out it needed water.  It's needing water just about everyday being in the container.  We're experiencing July weather.

I am a sick woman.  We had a bunch of plans donated and of course I had to take a flat. :lol:  Off to buy more potting soil.

• Haha 1

Glad to hear they're okay!

Ah, buying potting soil - I spent about 15 minutes yesterday convincing a hardware store manager that the receipt I was showing him from earlier in the day at his store proved that he did in fact stock potting soil and I'd like him to get more now that they are out of stock. Along with me was the cashier who had served me just hours earlier. He finally agreed, begrudgingly to do a "special order" but if I didn't pick it up he would send it back which a) nope just restock and b) ordering in products is a service they provide all the time c) why wouldn't I pick it up? Also he insisted that the size of bag I had bought, as listed on receipt, doesn't exist in the product line. So despite the fact that it would've been right on screen as he selected the product to order, he felt like making me order a big bag. I hope that made him feel much better :lol:

And we got more plants in.  We have a couple of roadside vendors and one big box store that like to give us their leftovers when they are done for the season.  And we have people who leave us their used containers.  I just take a can of spray paint to those and they are good to go out.  I mix together my own potting mixture so no cost there.  Love to make up containers and just give them to folks.  Always room for one more.

I collected all the clay pots hanging around the garden.  I'm going to see if I can make potheads. :lol:

• Haha 1

I spray painted the pot orange.  You can see it from half way down the block. :lol:

I'm putting ornamental millet (purple), english ivy and ornamental sweet potato vine (purple) in it.  I do the thrill, fill, spill combo in my larger pots.  It's for my mother's deck which is a dark, rich brown.  The millet will attract the birds.  Kind of excited to see it out there.

Edited by cineater

On June 14, 2018 at 12:05 AM, cineater said:

I spray painted the pot orange.  You can see it from half way down the block. :lol:

I'm putting ornamental millet (purple), english ivy and ornamental sweet potato vine (purple) in it.  I do the thrill, fill, spill combo in my larger pots.  It's for my mother's deck which is a dark, rich brown.  The millet will attract the birds.  Kind of excited to see it out there.

The pot is a true statement piece :lol:

What is thrill, fill, spill?

That'll be nice to see the bird out there. Ive been seeing lots of birds out back - seems that at least two types of birds have nests with hatchlings right out my back door where I harden plants. They are swooping at me and my cat! But not too close yet, thank goodness.

Just potted it up and it's a stunner.  Let it grow a little bit and it will be a show stopper.  Has more of a fall look to it.  

Thrill is a tall, interesting plant in the middle, fill is for the lower part of the container to fill in around it and then spill is something growing over the sides.  I use that combo on my extra large containers.

Stopped by the garden to survey the storm damage, empty pots everywhere and of course that just means I can see the good ones better.  :lol:  Picked up a few to bring home and some more ivy.  I'm going to make those macrame hangers and hang some from my trees (and block the mess in the neighbor's yard).  Visited my legacy tree.  It went in at about my waist height and is working on being double my height, grow baby grow.  It's a native Kentucky Coffee Bean.

• GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I'm trying to sprout plants from cuttings. I cut at a 45 degree angle but they aren't sprouting. Is an aerater for the water necessary? I thought it would sprout like ivy.

And no, it's not what you might be thinking 😉

Sure its not... ;):lol:

Theres a video I posted on the 2nd page of this thread that I learned from about the propagation of cuttings. Its about basil, but I believe it applies to many plants. There is also root stimulants/horomones on the market. For tomatoes and a very similarly grown plant, clean crushed eggshells planted in the soil around the roots will feed calcium which supports root development as well.

I think it really varies from plant to plant how adaptable they will be to this type of propagation? With tomatoes its easy because all those tiny white hairs on tomato stalks are potential roots. Ive never worked with ornamental plants. Im only a beginner, but when I've done it successfully with other types of vegetable and herb plants, I've done it this way:

- Using a clean exacto-knife make two small slices at the bottom of the stem. One slice on 'top' (the part facing you) and then hold it together and make another small slice on the 'side.' Do this to produce 1/4s out of base of stem, that mimic roots shooting out. This will encourage multiple points of root development. Length of slice depends on length and width of stem, but always 'small.'

- Change water daily

- Keep leaves and other shoots out of water

- Lots of light. (My tomato was under quality LED grow lights for 18hrs/dy, but that might not be necessary for other types. It was already on that cycle). I've regrown used/sliced carrot stubs, celery, chives and scallions in my low light windows too.