Gardening

Gracii Guns

On 21/04/2018 at 6:19 PM, Gracii Guns said:

Planted out the cauliflower seedlings, sowed some Zinnia and Felicia seeds.

200w.webp

:lol: 

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Genderfluid?!  

Yeah, it's that stuff that they found at the site of your last break-in. :lol: 

• Haha 2

Its both!

Its a 'pagan' holiday celebrating spring by dancing around the may pole.  And separately its also the Workers holiday celebrating the victory of the 8 hour work day.  May Day - International Workers Day - also commemorates the Chicago Hey Market Martyrs.  May Day worker celebrations have been repressed in some countries, being replaced with the less infused holiday of Labour Day.  

Its always fun when hippie mammas show up dressed as fairies for a good ol' International Workers Day riot due to this ongoing confusion, lol! 

We don't do that here in the states.  We're not so much interested in worker's rights as getting a 3 day weekend; we stick with Labor Day. :)

My Columbine is getting ready to pop with the Iris coming up right behind them.  And the june bugs are out.  They creep me out.

I planted the containers at the garden.  Here's the write up for the newsletter.  I'm limited by what we grow and what is left after the first plant sale.  Have a lot of reds.

The containers for the side porch have returned and have been planted.  The blue containers have Salvia, Hummingbird Forest Fire in the back; a Tithonia, Yellow Torch in the middle; Petunia, Red Heat Mambo on the sides and Gazania, Kiss Rose in the front.  The black container has Angelonia, purple in the back, the Gazania on the sides and an Ivy Geranium, mix in the front.  The Gooney Bird has the Salvia, Gazania and Ivy Geranium which is also in the hanging baskets at the pergola.  The green container by the Bird Garden has Basil, Thai Siam Queen (a lead favorite) and the showy Hot Pepper, Poinsettia.  Containers are filled with a mix of soil and compost with Osmocote.  

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

May Day.

The way the Nazis expunged the unions in Germany was Machiavellian in the extreme. They said, ''go off and enjoy your May Day'' then closed all of the, now deserted, union and union affiliated premises down.

Oh right, that kinda rings a bell.  So the Nazis just occupied the facilities moving forward then?

23 hours ago, cineater said:

I planted the containers at the garden.  Here's the write up for the newsletter.  I'm limited by what we grow and what is left after the first plant sale.  Have a lot of reds.

The containers for the side porch have returned and have been planted.  The blue containers have Salvia, Hummingbird Forest Fire in the back; a Tithonia, Yellow Torch in the middle; Petunia, Red Heat Mambo on the sides and Gazania, Kiss Rose in the front.  The black container has Angelonia, purple in the back, the Gazania on the sides and an Ivy Geranium, mix in the front.  The Gooney Bird has the Salvia, Gazania and Ivy Geranium which is also in the hanging baskets at the pergola.  The green container by the Bird Garden has Basil, Thai Siam Queen (a lead favorite) and the showy Hot Pepper, Poinsettia.  Containers are filled with a mix of soil and compost with Osmocote.  

Y'all are busy!  

Um... Please explain the highlighted part?  I know that Salvia has really serious psychedelic potentials.  What is the Gooney Bird and is it Gooney because of all the Salvia?

Is this how all Mater Gardeners get down?!?  I wouldn't have guessed! :lol:

Edited by soon

I did not know that about Salvia.  Is that both the annual and perennials?  We get down with pot parties. :)

What highlighted part?  Did it highlight the paragraph I wrote for the newsletter and copied over here?

I'm loving this.  Everyday I'm doing something with plants.  I say that every year.  By the end of the year I'll be asking for the killing frost. :)

Did I mention Gardens by the Bay in Singapore?  The band visited there.  Look it up, it's my goal to go there next year, pretty cool place.

My Impatiens balsamina are coming up!  I'm testing these for next year's sale.  They produce an abundance of seeds.  They are different from regular impatiens as they bloom all along the stalk with the kind of flowers you see in the pea family.

Balsam_flower_at_lalbagh7353_1024x1024.J

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cineater said:

I did not know that about Salvia.  Is that both the annual and perennials?  We get down with pot parties. :)

What highlighted part?  Did it highlight the paragraph I wrote for the newsletter and copied over here?

I'm loving this.  Everyday I'm doing something with plants.  I say that every year.  By the end of the year I'll be asking for the killing frost. :)

Did I mention Gardens by the Bay in Singapore?  The band visited there.  Look it up, it's my goal to go there next year, pretty cool place.

Sorry; I phrased it in a confusing way.  I mean that I had highlighted part of what you wrote when I quoted you.

20 hours ago, soon said:

The Gooney Bird has the Salvia,

Given that salvia can cause hallucinations, I was all the more curious about what a Gooney Bird is? Lol.  Im not sure about the various types of salvia.  Ive never grown it but it is/was available at variety stores here in leaf, hash and extract form.

haha - asking for the killing frost! I cannot wait to get outdoors with the plants!  May 15th is when I get access to my shed.

Whoa - Gardens by the Bay is beautiful and so different then Im used to seeing.  Would be very cool to visit.

Theres some really great pics:  http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en.html

Gardens by the Bay is open until 2 or 3 in the morning because they light it up at night.  My friends are worried I'll go there and never come back.  Live on an island by there that has wild cats.  Sounds good to me!

The Gooney Bird is a piece of yard art work that sits in the middle of one of my beds.  I got a cheap camera so I can start taking pictures of the stuff I'm talking about.  We got a nice rain here and we are full blown spring.

• GNFNR 1

A few from this evening.

Yellow and purple tulips which I planted last autumn. I try to keep my flowers to a purple theme as the street I’m on has a name which references purple. 

The apple blossom is blushing.

I have more rhubarb than I can handle!

FB0EE385-7350-44A0-B6D2-465A0C2FE35C.jpeg

EF1BD68E-4556-4B33-B6D8-A4312785E667.jpeg

F8890A5D-ACAE-4BA0-BD25-A626074F6E2B.jpeg

Edited by Gracii Guns
  • Like 3

Yeah, you get those little guys that live underground that eat bulbs.  I saw the coolest thing a lady invented to protect against that.  She bought some of those small, cheap wire baskets you see all over the place, planted her bulbs in it, covered the top with chicken wire and planted the basket.  You plant and roots can grow out of it but animals can't dig through it to get to the bulbs.

I would assume when you're the first up through the snow and the only tender green thing out there, every wild thing around is going to give you a try.  Whether they like it or spit it back out, I don't know but it's going down.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Today is World Naked Gardening Day!

Anyone else just going to be in wellies and gardening gloves? 

If what soon says about Salvia is true, it could happen.  We have a former gynecologist in the group.  We might send him into work flashbacks with all the naked women bending over pulling weeds.

• Haha 2

Emergency!

Power outrage overnight.  That’s when I have my grow lights going.  They lost at least 10 hrs so far.

They got a touch yesterday evening before the outage.

Should I put the lights on them as soon as power returns, which would flip it’s day and night? Or jut skip?

and if I do run ASAP, what about tonight’s regular schedule?

i run them 18hrs