Gardening

Gracii Guns

15 minutes ago, soon said:

@Gracii Guns is your grass cooperating for the cross hatched pattern you were hoping for?

Our mower is a Flymo, so doesn’t have a roller, therefore stripes are still a distant dream. I must say, that the lawn care I have done (scarifying, adding sand, mowing at the right time and seeding after every mowing) is working a treat and we have a verdant lawn with only a few weeds now. 

That’s what I love about gardening. You give a little care, then quite soon, a garden can take care of itself. 

24 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

That’s what I love about gardening. You give a little care, then quite soon, a garden can take care of itself. 

Amen to that!

Glad things are going so well with the lawn.  One day stripped and it'll be perfect.

• Thanks 1

What is a verdant lawn?  Never heard of that, sounds interesting.

Sunburned and sore but I think I'm finally done planting for a while.  There was no petunias left over from the plant sale so I changed my one bed to lantanas.  Just as well, I would have been watering the petunias all the time.  And I'm using lots of herbs that make a nice show so that will cut down on the watering too.  I'm ready to kick back and watch the garden grow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cineater said:

What is a verdant lawn?  Never heard of that, sounds interesting.

just that it's a very lush green grass lawn. Our lawns in England tend to be full of dandelions, daisies and moss. It takes effort to have just grass, fake grass is getting common now so you get the effect without the hard work:lol:

• GNFNR 1

Oh, little gardening tip.  Not a good idea to wear a button up shirt when gardening as you might discover in the middle of the hardware store it became unbutton while you were hauling those bags of mulch and the whole store has now seen your bra.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, cineater said:

Oh, little gardening tip.  Not a good idea to wear a button up shirt when gardening as you might discover in the middle of the hardware store it became unbutton while you were hauling those bags of mulch and the whole store has now seen your bra.

Story of my life! 

• Haha 1

Here's the answer to why can't I leave a barrel of fertilizer water in the greenhouse to water all my containers with.  Because it turns to pond scum real quick!

Holy shit, it turned to hot real quick.  All the spinach bolted.

I love the students.  You tell them free plants and they descend on them like a herd of locust.   I pretty much cleared out the plants leftover from the plant sale.  You ask those of us who have been around a while to take some plants, we might throw rotten vegetables at you.  :lol:

The students are doing a salsa garden (my idea) as their class project.  Grow shit and eat!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cineater said:

Here's the answer to why can't I leave a barrel of fertilizer water in the greenhouse to water all my containers with.  Because it turns to pond scum real quick!

Holy shit, it turned to hot real quick.  All the spinach bolted.

Oh no!  Can you still use the fertilizer like that?  I see algae and other fermented stuff for sale as fertilizer - maybe similar?

I once mentioned to someone that "the lettuce bolted" and they casually glanced down the path as if to inquire 'oh, maybe we could still catch up with them?'  lol

They must've thought I meant like the slang term bolted, meaning running off in a hurry.  But they never did ask how that would be possible. :lol:

Salsa gardens are a perfect gateway drug to food production!  Its how I got into also growing dent corn because after a while going to the grocery store buy mass produced tortillas to scoop up my gardens salsa felt like it cheapened the fun experience and satisfaction of "I grew this" (in addition to wanting to control all ingredients).

And its a transferable concept to use for most aspects of pantry planning.

The slow, cruel countdown until May 15 when I start my season is destroying my soul

2 hours ago, soon said:

You're the one growing Salvia!  :lol:

Among other things. :lol:

I already sent the park 72 marigolds and I'm delivering 144 tomorrow.  Originally they wanted a couple hundred more.  I don't mind.  They are easy to grow.  The parks folks get the hard part, planting all of them!

• Haha 1

Im so exited to get started.  Although my first order of business is to dig a big, deep hole at one end for drainage and then deepen my paths/furrows and create a lean so they all drain into my pit.  Its likely already soaked so it should be some miserable work.  Second order of business is to set up solar bug zappers around pit so that it doesnt become a bug breeding hot spot.  Then weeding and hauling tons of wood mulch from up the way.  Im thinking maybe 50 trips.

Yeah, not my idea of gardening bliss.  At least setting up my shed sounds pleasant.  And Ill hope to begin sowing peas, kale and comfrey asap.

Sounds like fun!

I have never recovered from a 3 day motorcycle trip from St Louis to NY in 105 heat.  It gets about 90 and I'm done.  We got there today with humidity!  Mother's Day to the rescue.  I got an Energizer headlight.  A headband with a light in it.  315 lumens, light it up, from spot light to flood light!  Can't wait for it to get dark to try it out.  With this, doesn't matter what time of day it is, I can garden.

OMG, that works great!  Lights it up and I can even see better than in the daylight.  The plants really stand out and I can see between the growth down to the dirt.  Only drawback is bugs are attracted to the light.  The cats hate it, yeah I see you there and your eyes give you away.

Sounds like a great road trip, though!

I should consider getting one of those head lamps. Happy Mothers Day, btw.  But yeah, theres lots of warnings about how much more a threat to health and safety those bugs can be this season. In addition to my zappers Im planning to continue using my catnip bug spray and also maybe apply citronella essential oil to my clothing.

I've been up since before dawn churning out make ahead meals, doing laundry, doing a big clean in preparation for the busy weeks to come.  It all starts tomorrow for me! Woo-Hoo!

No smelling like coconut sunscreen for me again today. Was supposed to get started today. Rained all night and all morning and more is on the way.  Not in the forecast.  Also, I poked myself in the eye.  Sigh.