Gardening

Gracii Guns

13 minutes ago, cineater said:

Not yesterday but this morning the left eye is almost swollen shut.  I'll be wearing my sunglasses today. :)

The sucks!  And I woke up with a flare up to a previous achilles injury.  Id planned to go for Day 1 at my main garden today with the newly arrived warm weather, but its too painful.

Dont let anymore bees behind those glasses though!  Injured gardener solidarity :headbang:

On 4/22/2018 at 8:47 AM, soon said:

The sucks!  And I woke up with a flare up to a previous achilles injury.  Id planned to go for Day 1 at my main garden today with the newly arrived warm weather, but its too painful.

Dont let anymore bees behind those glasses though!  Injured gardener solidarity :headbang:

It's not any better today and both eyes are swollen.  I think I'll just work in my own yard today.  I'm definitely not the poster girl for gardening.

44 minutes ago, cineater said:

It's not any better today and both eyes are swollen.  I think I'll just work in my own yard today.  I'm definitely not the poster girl for gardening.

Im sorry to hear that.  I havent been stung for a long time but remember it being miserable when it gets swollen like that - between the eyes no less.  I didn't make it to garden today either.  I need to be cautious of mileage and ware and tare on my body.  Today as I made all the preparations to travel to work at my main garden I maxed out my wear and tare for the day and now need to basically recover from my preparations :facepalm:.   Weathers supposed to be good tomorrow too, so now Im all set and just need to get up and go tomorrow... hopefully.

Gives me time to figure out how to best use my new deep root trays and also all about bottom watering and pruning prior to transplants to garden, at least.

Feel better soon shortly :) 

I've been getting lots of opinions on bottom watering for a flat of plants in the growing medium we use, it's not soil.  Apparently water likes water and will go to the cell that is most wet first, resulting in those cells getting over watered and the driest ones not getting enough.  I like seeding everybody in one container and doing bottom watering, uniform watering for the whole container.  Once I transplant them to individual containers, everybody is top watering.  It might be different when growing directly in soil because of all those too wet soil next to baby plant issues.

What are you using deep root trays for?  I know we have some for the native plants but nobody has been into natives from seed yet.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 6:33 PM, cineater said:

Yea!  Looks like that top rock is rubbing on your trunk.  Read up on it but I would cut off all those lower branches and have all the growth concentrated up top.  Typically your tree roots that take up the water are in the upper part of the soil and go out from the tree, not down.  I'd also stake them if they need support from the wind, rocks are going to rub/cut into the trunk.  Tree looks healthy so you must be doing something right.  There's lots to know about trees but they're kind of like weeds, once they start growing in a place, they'll grow with or without your help and can be forgiving of your mistakes although there will be a scar.  Trees are kind of in your face that way.

Thanks cineater, I think I'm going to have to stake them as they seem very loose in the ground and blow around in the wind a little. The good news though is that 5 out of my 6 trees now have green bits on them which I'm really surprised by :headbang:

On another note, this is at the bottom of my field and I've spent the last 3 days removing it...

dbjvvp.jpg

^ That's literally a Ford Cortina car buried in dirt :lol: Must have been there for 50+ years, along with a load of other rusty farming equipment that disintegrates if you so much as breathe next to it. I wanted to make the derelict building into a bit of a feature, but there's just shit buried everywhere all around it. There's a tire which looks like it's come off a monster truck, 4 feet wide at least, and I haven't got a clue how I'm going to move it. It took me 5 hours just to dig out the rear axl of the Ford this afternoon and drag it out of site. Tempted to do what my predecessors did and just pile more soil on top of everything to start afresh.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cineater said:

I've been getting lots of opinions on bottom watering for a flat of plants in the growing medium we use, it's not soil.  Apparently water likes water and will go to the cell that is most wet first, resulting in those cells getting over watered and the driest ones not getting enough.  I like seeding everybody in one container and doing bottom watering, uniform watering for the whole container.  Once I transplant them to individual containers, everybody is top watering.  It might be different when growing directly in soil because of all those too wet soil next to baby plant issues.

What are you using deep root trays for?  I know we have some for the native plants but nobody has been into natives from seed yet.

Thanks for your thoughts on bottom watering.  That makes sense about the water attracts water thing.  Hmmm.  Im new to the concept.  So far Im only bottom watering one tray of separated containers.  Maybe Ill just keep it that way and see how it plays out in my environment.  I know it has to do with how plants like tomatoes really dont like getting there leaves wet and it can lead to disease.  Or how mold can grow when top watered which can be a type that kills new sprouts on contact.  Although Ive never really had any of these issues even using a humidity dome (there is some mold I remove but it doesnt prevent growth).  I like how much less involved watering all the cells is with bottom watering.  Ill do each tray differently and see.

Im very new to being aware of deep root trays.  What I ordered that were listed as deep root trays, pictured here, are designed to avoid root knots and promote root development.  Its said to speed growth.  Theres open bottoms that when the roots reach the air they stop growing, making transplant to garden a less time sensitive ordeal.  Only first heard of bottom watering from the write up about the trays.  The long straight roots are great for tomatoes especially.  And not having to break the wound roots open during transplant is supposed to be gentler on the plant, giving it a leg up over torn root systems.

I direct seeded to one tray, while starting the other two trays in flats.  Not yet able to determine any differences.

Maybe I shouldnt use deep root trays?

Interesting, let me know how that works.  I know we have some of those.  I will ask around and see who used them.

Oh the buried treasures on the farm.  :lol:  I vote leave it there and in 1000 years, it will be an archaeological find.

I think my eyes are finally starting to un puff, not back to normal but might have turned the corner. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cineater said:

Oh the buried treasures on the farm.  :lol:  I vote leave it there and in 1000 years, it will be an archaeological find.

My local council have actually taken aerial photos of my land and published the photos online because they think some of the "mounds" might be archaeological sites (we have hundreds of them here). It'll probably just be another old tractor or a car though lol.

I'm tempted to dig it up for a look just because people have previously found real viking hoards of gold/silver on our isles in the past, but it's a criminal offence for me to do that and anything I do find would need to be turned over anyway :( I can't just walk into the local pawnbrokers with a pile of viking treasure and turn it into cash :lol:

Its starting to get real! 

SBdk2aXl.jpg

Spoiler

geMvVyLl.jpg

This big wet, clay-y beast will be my main garden until my herb garden is restored mid summer.  Loosing two plots equaling one and a half of this one, but Im bringing plenty of the perennials with me. Had a fun trip to the hardware store too!:dance:

• Like 2

Lights off.  All my plants are outside enjoying the weather.  I'll bring them back in tonight because it's going to be a little chilly but then they can stay out.  Another week and they can go in ground.  Hopefully tonight I can seed my really hot plants and get them going.  And there's some cuttings I want to start and root.  And I can just spend all my days doing this. :)

We had a great plant sale so there is only one week left to water in the greenhouse and then get the shade cloth on it for summer.  

And somewhere during all this fun I need to clean house and get some food in here. :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Is she your type of crumpet? 

Kindly refrain from objectifying women with your coarse working class vernacular.  If I was a mod that woulda been a fuckin' warning point for you young lady and no fuckin' mistake, frankly I'm appalled :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Kindly refrain from objectifying women with your coarse working class vernacular.  If I was a mod that woulda been a fuckin' warning point for you young lady and no fuckin' mistake, frankly I'm appalled :lol:

Sorry. I’m not a sexist because I’ll call men and genderfluid folk crumpet too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Transferring seedlings to larger 'pots' and the amount of seedlings that were showing enough promise to continue on with amounted to the exact number of pots available.

Love it when it works out so good! 

• Like 2