Gardening

Gracii Guns

12 hours ago, cineater said:

You can make Beaker a TV.

5568888.jpg?auto=format&w=600&h=720&fit=

I use to make these all the time.  Use river rock for a more natural look.  Cats love to sit there and watch that fish.  Just have to make sure they can't knock it over.  Here's some pinterest ideas https://www.pinterest.com/pin/463730092857446358/?lp=true .  That one doesn't have enough room for air to get to the water, use one with a more airy design.  I was thinking our millennials might like that. 

This is too cool! You just know Im looking through those Pins to see if theres any food or herbs I can grow this way! Im sure they would like it!

20 hours ago, cineater said:

You really don't want to talk to me at a meeting, lol.  I come in with things I want to accomplish and am working it.  You may just walk out of there with stuff to do.  I make them feel excited about it so that's at least something. :lol:

Leslie came up with a new project.  Once the creek project is done, we need to plant things that support preventing the erosion.  Plus we need a barrier to keep the kids off of it and people falling over the edge.  Kevins immediate response was "no, not going to think about that until it's done".  That's how a project takes two years or dies.  I'm already plotting how I'm going to get the Master Naturalist to team up with us on this, where we're going to get the free plants and the timeline for getting it done.  My big worry is water needs to flow through there.  I don't want a bunch of plants preventing that or collecting all the debris that the flood waters move along.  And we may have a warranty issue about how close we can plant to that plus the overhead power lines that run through there.  I need to recruit a lead for that whole project.

I'm going to play mother nature with the lantana and bring in the spring rains.  I'm going to increase their water for a few days hoping to dissolve that seed coat.  I don't think we scared them up enough.

You are maniacal :lol:

Kevin especially should want something to stop him from falling in! lol. First thing that comes to my mind is the milk pods on the shore - for the butterflies. Will be neat to see what the Naturalist comes up with!

I love that you are sticking to that lantana.

I was out of milk when I went to put it in my morning coffee. So I went out for milk. However I was without coffee yet so I ended up getting a pizza and no milk :facepalm::lol:

Milk is my biggest problem too.  I need it for cooking but I end up just wasting it because it goes bad from not using enough.  Can you freeze milk?  I was thinking about getting powdered milk and making it up as I need it.  I dump jugs of milk down the sink all the time.

I kind of like those ones where you have a lot of little fish.  That would keep the cats entertained for hours.  Herbs generally like it dry but I'm sure you can find an air purifier plant that would work.  That peace lily does well.  Check out the dumpsters at funeral homes and you'll find those in the trash, lol.  Never send a plant for a funeral!

That's how I can get Kevin on board with the plantings. :lol:  I'm never going to let him forget that.

46 minutes ago, cineater said:

Milk is my biggest problem too.  I need it for cooking but I end up just wasting it because it goes bad from not using enough.  Can you freeze milk?  I was thinking about getting powdered milk and making it up as I need it.  I dump jugs of milk down the sink all the time.

I kind of like those ones where you have a lot of little fish.  That would keep the cats entertained for hours.  Herbs generally like it dry but I'm sure you can find an air purifier plant that would work.  That peace lily does well.  Check out the dumpsters at funeral homes and you'll find those in the trash, lol.  Never send a plant for a funeral!

That's how I can get Kevin on board with the plantings. :lol:  I'm never going to let him forget that.

I freeze milk all the time. Both in bags and cartons. I freeze juice in plastic tubs too. Here we get the bagged milk - 3 bags of milk come in one larger bag. Its way more affordable. So I freeze two of the bag when I get it home.

Yeah, the bunch of little fish looks so cool! Dumpster diving funeral arrangements - I love it :headbang:I might do just that. Im worried Beaker will attack it... but that still beats him attacking my ankles :shrugs::lol:

Has Lily forgiven you for the vet visit?

Lily has cabin fever big time!  Or maybe she's still mad at the vet visit.  I'm just one big attack toy for her.  I can't move without being grabbed by her.  I've taken up calling Simone back into the house just to get Lily to leave me alone. :lol:  And that only lasts until Simone goes to sleep.

It's looking like we'll have cloud cover for groundhog's day at least in the morning.  We're getting a warm snap for a few days.  I'm digging out honeysuckle bushes at the side project on Sunday.  We'll see.  I never seem to get as much accomplished over there that I want to.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Lily has cabin fever big time!  Or maybe she's still mad at the vet visit.  I'm just one big attack toy for her.  I can't move without being grabbed by her.  I've taken up calling Simone back into the house just to get Lily to leave me alone. :lol:  And that only lasts until Simone goes to sleep.

It's looking like we'll have cloud cover for groundhog's day at least in the morning.  We're getting a warm snap for a few days.  I'm digging out honeysuckle bushes at the side project on Sunday.  We'll see.  I never seem to get as much accomplished over there that I want to.

Oh no! Come on Simone, step up :lol:

Is GroundHog day Feb 1st? I love that tradition! And Id love to hear that Spring is coming soon!!!! Although, tossing mucky mucks over snow banks and into traffic is a nice pick-me-up.

Well, if you even get to dig up just one honeysuckle, just know that Im still jealous :lol: 

Feb 2nd is groundhog day.  Woohoo, the ex rerouted his trip and is not coming through town.  Not that I don't mind talking to him once in a while but we've talked, I've got no more to say.  And if he saw that bathroom leak he'd want to stay a few days and fix it.

14 hours ago, cineater said:

Feb 2nd is groundhog day.  Woohoo, the ex rerouted his trip and is not coming through town.  Not that I don't mind talking to him once in a while but we've talked, I've got no more to say.  And if he saw that bathroom leak he'd want to stay a few days and fix it.

Im legitimately excited for groundhog day - gonna fix a proper breakfast and watch the reports come in across North America. Yeah, I know how to have a good time :lol:

Bouyah! Thats great you dont have to make conversation and risk a home reno! I'll have to read the show thread, but at a glance it doesnt seem like anything too exciting happened?

Will be clipping a few inches off my anise hyssop today so that means at least 2 meals will be lentil curry. Wish I had some ground beef tho!

Oh geez, never read the show thread. :lol:  I enjoyed the show.  We had a nice stream for the whole show.  They added You're Crazy.  Minor mishap with a computer causing a short delay.  Long enough for Frank to rise from the drum kit for a minute.  Axl was talkative.  To me the concert seemed to flow well and wasn't as rushed through.

You know that groundhog thinks we're idiots for believing he can predict the weather?  Every time he's trying to tell us we have the wrong guy.

I can tell by the number of emails I'm getting people are getting excited by the upcoming gardening season.

Spent the afternoon with my daughter.  I'm trying not to be the pushy bitch on this wedding but she did accomplish all the things I had on her to do list.  I think she's beginning to see the beauty of don't wait until the last minute.  She was the happy bride yesterday.  We go shopping for my dress next week.

37 minutes ago, cineater said:

Oh geez, never read the show thread. :lol:  I enjoyed the show.  We had a nice stream for the whole show.  They added You're Crazy.  Minor mishap with a computer causing a short delay.  Long enough for Frank to rise from the drum kit for a minute.  Axl was talkative.  To me the concert seemed to flow well and wasn't as rushed through.

You know that groundhog thinks we're idiots for believing he can predict the weather?  Every time he's trying to tell us we have the wrong guy.

I can tell by the number of emails I'm getting people are getting excited by the upcoming gardening season.

Spent the afternoon with my daughter.  I'm trying not to be the pushy bitch on this wedding but she did accomplish all the things I had on her to do list.  I think she's beginning to see the beauty of don't wait until the last minute.  She was the happy bride yesterday.  We go shopping for my dress next week.

I didnt know how to get a stream. Will have to hit you up next time :) I cannot believe how dramatic that thread is :lol:. I heard that Mel sang on You're Crazy? I imagine that really boosted it. I like when Axl is talkative.

Im sure those groundhogs live like kings and will happily let us pamper them :lol: We got a replacement one in recent years... such a strange concept.

Thats so exciting about dress shopping! And Im glad she has a task master - keep it stress free in the end. 

38 minutes ago, cineater said:

I never understood Netipots to begin with. :blink:

You don't ever get the urge to pass warm salt water through your nostrils? And then let the mucous pour out your nose? ... We have so much to teach the Boomers :lol:

I've been using my pyrex measuring cup to water and the basil really didnt like getting wet leaves. I actually should use a Netipot too, come to think of it.

When I want a salt water flush I head to the ocean and let mother nature take care of it. :lol:

Not hard to find the streams on Facebook, just takes a minute to remember how.  But we've got Gypsy over at Jarmo's site who is a pro at it.  She'll keep you connected.  I don't listen for the details in the music.  Can't tell you if she sang or not.  Nice dedication to Kobe with KOHD.  I'm there for those GNR moments like Axl and Slash crashing into each other on the stage,  Axl's smile when he's having a good time, can Slash play a solo with his eyes open, stuff like that.  Axl falling on his ass is always a good one, once you see he's okay.  Most the time it's background noise while I'm doing other stuff.

Kept thinking I was getting a cold but it really felt like allergies.  Oh yeah, I have all that wet carpet back there with a fan on it!  Took the carpet cleaner to it and amazing how not getting a cold I feel.  Looks like rain on Tuesday, texting Craig I'm available, come fix this.

Not into the dress thing.  All the mother of the bride dresses went way too close to sexy mom.  I just want to look nice if somebody happens to look my way, pay me no attention I'm working this.  Maybe we should be checking out grandma of the bride dresses. :lol:

Edited by cineater
  • Haha 1

Happy Groundhog Day!

Beaker was chasing his tail and singing all night so I slept-in and am playing catch up with the results. So far a majority say early Spring!!:dance: The includes my guy, Wiarton Willie, and the top dog, Punxsutawney Phil in Philadelphia. But, Lucy The Lobster says 6 more weeks :(. What did your closest groundhog say?

You head to the ocean? From landlocked Missouri, tucked away in the middle of the Country? NetiPots starting to make a lot more sense now isnt it? :lol:

I wish there was a 100% Mel live stream for every show!

You've been feeling chilled and on the edge of a cold for a while now. I hope this has done the trick and that he can come fix it on Tuesday.

No grandma of the bride for you! Work one of those sexy dresses :headbang:

I missed the groundhog.  It's sunny here.  We still have the deer getting their antlers early that said bad winter.  That didn't say anything about an early spring but we did have a couple of worse than normal days.  Simone did try to bring in a baby bird last night.  We're headed for 70 today.

My daughter occasionally drags me away.  She's an ocean person.

Listen to what Axl said about the band rehearsal in his Kobe talk.  People see him separate, standoffish from the band, giving orders.  What he spoke to sounded more like he feels a part of the larger group of people there.  It wasn't what he felt, it was what was going on with the group of people.  That says something.  This show didn't seem as rushed through either.  There was a more relaxed flow to it.  I want to say where there was a tension before, it's gone now.  There was interaction of them working together not just following Axl's lead.  Might have been the same music but it was not the same band.

No to the sexy dress.  Not only would it creep out all my daughter's friends, it would creep me out, lol.

Let me just say how much I would like to ring this guy's neck, lol.  But it's all going the direction I want.  A couple years ago I took an article to our pantry bed lead about different colored veggies providing antioxidants and that we should grow these.  He totally blew me off and made me feel like what I said didn't matter.  This year he's really focused in on that.  Ordering all your weird colored veggies to grow and has researched the fuck out of it.  Took it way further than my interest would have lasted.  That's really good and what I want, somebody else doing it, lol.  Didn't think he heard me but somehow I got in his head and he ran with it, right down the road I wanted to go.

Not real happy he took an email I sent him and replied adding 18 other people to it.  The reply had nothing to do with my email subject but now it feels like he is telling on me.  Don't care that the rest of those folks see what I'm saying.  Fortuitous incident to me, if they read what I said, it clues them into what I'm up to and hopefully brings them on board when I'm ready to present it. 

Feel a little competition going on with this guy, lol.  Little does he know I'm okay with him winning or so he thinks. 

2 hours ago, cineater said:

I missed the groundhog.  It's sunny here.  We still have the deer getting their antlers early that said bad winter.  That didn't say anything about an early spring but we did have a couple of worse than normal days.  Simone did try to bring in a baby bird last night.  We're headed for 70 today.

My daughter occasionally drags me away.  She's an ocean person.

Listen to what Axl said about the band rehearsal in his Kobe talk.  People see him separate, standoffish from the band, giving orders.  What he spoke to sounded more like he feels a part of the larger group of people there.  It wasn't what he felt, it was what was going on with the group of people.  That says something.  This show didn't seem as rushed through either.  There was a more relaxed flow to it.  I want to say where there was a tension before, it's gone now.  There was interaction of them working together not just following Axl's lead.  Might have been the same music but it was not the same band.

No to the sexy dress.  Not only would it creep out all my daughter's friends, it would creep me out, lol.

Theres baby birds there? Crazy! I just learned that our new Wiarton Willie is a white groundhog. Neat.

I wish I got to the ocean more - I love it. And I love the cultures that surround it in Eastern Canada. 

I checked out the KOHD with the dedication. I remembered seeing Fernandos pos of a pic of his daughter at rehearsals so I figured that must mean Axl was present. Hopefully that means something good!

I hope dress shopping is fun!

38 minutes ago, cineater said:

Let me just say how much I would like to ring this guy's neck, lol.  But it's all going the direction I want.  A couple years ago I took an article to our pantry bed lead about different colored veggies providing antioxidants and that we should grow these.  He totally blew me off and made me feel like what I said didn't matter.  This year he's really focused in on that.  Ordering all your weird colored veggies to grow and has researched the fuck out of it.  Took it way further than my interest would have lasted.  That's really good and what I want, somebody else doing it, lol.  Didn't think he heard me but somehow I got in his head and he ran with it, right down the road I wanted to go.

Not real happy he took an email I sent him and replied adding 18 other people to it.  The reply had nothing to do with my email subject but now it feels like he is telling on me.  Don't care that the rest of those folks see what I'm saying.  Fortuitous incident to me, if they read what I said, it clues them into what I'm up to and hopefully brings them on board when I'm ready to present it. 

Feel a little competition going on with this guy, lol.  Little does he know I'm okay with him winning or so he thinks. 

People keep doing this to you! At last your ideas are happening. I didn't realize that the different colours had different antioxidants. Cool.

Sometimes I wish my work involved talking to more people, but stories like this set me straight. lol

I swear that Ive yet to meet an older white male gardener who doesn't assert themselves as the supreme leader. They blind themselves enough that you could wrap em around your finger. :) 

I asked my colead last year if it was just me or were people taking my ideas and making them their own.  She would always tell me, you were talking about that months ago, lol.  I guess I'm the garden muse.  He is now talking about one of the "themes" for his garden.  I just mentioned the theme idea for our education direction to him last night.  Either he's following my lead or just flat out stealing my idea.  Either way, it's happening faster, lol.  Yeah, he is an older white male, retired doctor.  It's the doctor that rubs me wrong! 

So I dared to ask him to teach a class on antioxidant plants, lol.  Put the two head guys on the email and pointed out it was something they would want.  (Update:  He's going to think about it)  I'm going to try to stop seeing this guy the wrong way and see him as a team member with strengthens.  It's going to be hard for me.  I said that to myself all last year, lol.

Beautiful day.  Side project ended up burying a drainage tube instead of cutting down the honeysuckle.  Feels good to have a trencher in hand and plow through that soil.  Had a little anger to work out, lol.  She's having an operation next week and will be laid up for 6 weeks so the honeysuckle will probably still be a project next winter.

The bulb plants are starting to poke through and you see some buds forming on the trees here.

Edited by cineater

13 hours ago, cineater said:

I asked my colead last year if it was just me or were people taking my ideas and making them their own.  She would always tell me, you were talking about that months ago, lol.  I guess I'm the garden muse.  He is now talking about one of the "themes" for his garden.  I just mentioned the theme idea for our education direction to him last night.  Either he's following my lead or just flat out stealing my idea.  Either way, it's happening faster, lol.  Yeah, he is an older white male, retired doctor.  It's the doctor that rubs me wrong! 

So I dared to ask him to teach a class on antioxidant plants, lol.  Put the two head guys on the email and pointed out it was something they would want.  (Update:  He's going to think about it)  I'm going to try to stop seeing this guy the wrong way and see him as a team member with strengthens.  It's going to be hard for me.  I said that to myself all last year, lol.

Beautiful day.  Side project ended up burying a drainage tube instead of cutting down the honeysuckle.  Feels good to have a trencher in hand and plow through that soil.  Had a little anger to work out, lol.  She's having an operation next week and will be laid up for 6 weeks so the honeysuckle will probably still be a project next winter.

The bulb plants are starting to poke through and you see some buds forming on the trees here.

"The garden muse" I like that. Would be better for you to get credit and to have the ability to shape the way your visions are implemented. But like you say, at lest they are happening and are happening faster. But it must be frustrating when he steals an idea from the night before!!

Thats a judo move right there - asking him to do the class! :lol: Hard to see people as team members when they, themselves, dont see themselves as team members. 

Ive got some pent up anger waiting for early season garden work, myself! Always something sidelining the gardening project over there.

Spring!!!! No wonder you dont have the ground hogs down there. You get spring when they wake up.

Was your neighbourhood celebrating the Super Bowl win?

Could do a show around that but is it a comedy, drama, how about a musical?  It's an interesting way to see your life.  How would this look in story form?  We are all the star in our own lives.  I always want mine to be a humorous one.  It helps me to remember to look for the comedy in what happens to me.  I write a little.  My character frequently is surprised and amused by what happens to her.  It helps me to deal with real life, put some stuff out there, deal with it and put it away.  It's my smokescreen I can get behind and just be me.  I rarely know what is going to happen until it comes off my fingertips onto the page but I find reasons, solutions and understanding.

KC is on the other side of the state.  We've adopted their team because we don't have one.  Fireworks and people on the streets after the game.  A little weird because here we don't normally consider them.  KC could be in another world as far as we are concerned.

I'm having fun playing with Del.  It may be a mistake asking him to educate people.  He's really into the science.  When he starts talking my eyes roll back into my head and I'm looking for a way out of the conversation.  He's very knowledgeable.  He can hold his own with people who are into that.  Not my thing and I'm not sure how well he is going to connect with the average gardener.  He speaks more on the level of people who have advanced degrees in horticulture. 

I'm pushing spring.  Out there looking for all the signs it's on its way.  Little George, the opossum, stopped by last night. 

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Could do a show around that but is it a comedy, drama, how about a musical?  It's an interesting way to see your life.  How would this look in story form?  We are all the star in our own lives.  I always want mine to be a humorous one.  It helps me to remember to look for the comedy in what happens to me.  I write a little.  My character frequently is surprised and amused by what happens to her.  It helps me to deal with real life, put some stuff out there, deal with it and put it away.  It's my smokescreen I can get behind and just be me.  I rarely know what is going to happen until it comes off my fingertips onto the page but I find reasons, solutions and understanding.

KC is on the other side of the state.  We've adopted their team because we don't have one.  Fireworks and people on the streets after the game.  A little weird because here we don't normally consider them.  KC could be in another world as far as we are concerned.

I'm having fun playing with Del.  It may be a mistake asking him to educate people.  He's really into the science.  When he starts talking my eyes roll back into my head and I'm looking for a way out of the conversation.  He's very knowledgeable.  He can hold his own with people who are into that.  Not my thing and I'm not sure how well he is going to connect with the average gardener.  He speaks more on the level of people who have advanced degrees in horticulture. 

I'm pushing spring.  Out there looking for all the signs it's on its way.  Little George, the opossum, stopped by last night. 

I think my story would be a 'dramedy.' With musical interludes like movies in the 80s! Lots of dead pan humour and exaggerated characters. 

Thats so cool that you do some creative writing! I feel so disconnected from that but I used to write stories a lot. Wish I still had that mojo! I think my character would be just like yours: surprised and amused by what happens. lol. It sounds like a really smart way to process stuff. And yeah, maybe gain some understanding.

I somehow just knew your neighbourhood wouldnt give up the opportunity to party! lol. Sounds fun. Isnt it interesting how we adopt sports teams like that when its convenient?

Del sounds loathsome! :lol:

Yay Little George! Id love that.

Need to raise up my grow lights today. The kale is really sensitive to the lights and is getting crispy leaves on top. Seems to need way more distance from the lights than any other plant. Just hope they will get enough light still.

I had that same problem with the hostas.  The lights were burning the leaves.  I have the fan hitting the onions directly and they are getting thicker stalks.  They were all flopped over before.

I lose that rhythm to write and miss it when it's gone.  Sometimes I can call it back when I put on some music and just start typing.  It's fun to watch the story materialize.  I can visualize it and it rolls off my fingers onto the page.  I have been known to laugh out loud at what I'm typing out.  I can get so lost that sometimes I have to shut it off.

Okay what have I done?  Call from the neighbor, we haven't spoken in months.  The last time we had contact she wanted to find out whose car was parked in my driveway overnight.  Kind of a strange conversation, like she was waiting for me to say something about something.  I haven't been up to something, lol.  The conversation kept coming to an end but she wouldn't end it, just kept hanging on.  And she should be getting ready to go to work.  Maybe she's up to something and was calling to see if I knew, lol.  Games with the neighbors.

20 hours ago, cineater said:

I had that same problem with the hostas.  The lights were burning the leaves.  I have the fan hitting the onions directly and they are getting thicker stalks.  They were all flopped over before.

I lose that rhythm to write and miss it when it's gone.  Sometimes I can call it back when I put on some music and just start typing.  It's fun to watch the story materialize.  I can visualize it and it rolls off my fingers onto the page.  I have been known to laugh out loud at what I'm typing out.  I can get so lost that sometimes I have to shut it off.

Okay what have I done?  Call from the neighbor, we haven't spoken in months.  The last time we had contact she wanted to find out whose car was parked in my driveway overnight.  Kind of a strange conversation, like she was waiting for me to say something about something.  I haven't been up to something, lol.  The conversation kept coming to an end but she wouldn't end it, just kept hanging on.  And she should be getting ready to go to work.  Maybe she's up to something and was calling to see if I knew, lol.  Games with the neighbors.

Just the breeze from the fan toughened up the stalks? Too cool! I think I even need to move my kale away from the floor heater too. I think Im starting to see the path forward with kale, cilantro and basil who like the cool all together, away from the heater and with raised lights on one shelf and the others where everything else currently is. Of course Ill only get this established in time to clear the pots and start pumping out tomatoes and peppers for the garden. 

Maybe I can get back into it. Its sounds so nice. Laughing along as you type. Is this one long story or are there individual novels/short stories/what ever?

12 hours ago, cineater said:

Not me, she needed to talk through the death.  She had a fire, I went over, she got drunk and got it out. 

Well damn, nobody is up to anything to gossip about. :lol:  

Oh, Im glad she had you. Must have been strange before you figured out what was up. 

They'll gossip today when Craig comes over :lol:

Im hearing weird gossip about me from an older neighbour. She heard when I was immobile and left a few groceries for me once recently. Thank you, very kind. However somehow thats blossomed into a story she seems to enjoy telling anyone with ears that I "doesnt have an emergency plan. But he's too young to give up on life life this." Which is completely just something shes invented with no insight or conversation with me. She doesnt know me at all and never asked me about anything. She also never checked in to say hi or keep me company when I was laid out, which would be nice in general and especially if you have it in your head that Im "giving up on life" !!! :lol: If one needs to make something up about me why cant it be like "you wouldnt know it but he's an ace at Chess. He beat a computer." :lol:

Did you get your haircut?  She's probably thinking growing out hair means giving up on life. :lol:  

Yeah a breeze on stuff makes them stronger.  You really notice it with tomatoes that seem to be all floppy.  That was an Evelyn trick.

No Craig, it just started to rain, but we are due for snow and hopefully that brings him around.  I've been looking at bathroom vanities all morning.  I just want this bathroom remodeled.  I tried of making it work and patch jobs.

Off to check on Miss Lily the dog.  My friend is having surgery today and I'm letting this sweet dog in and out.  If something happens to her, I'm stealing this dog!