Gardening

Gracii Guns

17 hours ago, cineater said:

Looks Like Rain will always be connected to the day my daughter moved out on her own.  I always think of it when I have to put one of my pets down too.  "Brave the storm to come cause it surely looks like rain."  Enough said about that song, we'll both be crying.

I came home with 4 flats, half seed and half transplants.  Marsha put a stop to the lantana.  She thinks the crockpots weren't low enough for the hot water and we over cooked them.  I'll reuse the soil.  It may not be over.

I like my late winter nights.  It gets so clear outside.  There's a stillness that makes life so alive.

I'm signing up for a class, Designed Plant Communities.  http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/Portals/0/Education/Youth and Families/PDFs/EDU_catalog_ss_2020.pdf  page 30.  That's all the classes offered through our botanical gardens.  Interesting stuff if you have lots of money, lol.

Aww, thats so sad. Yeah, moving on...

I knew it would be more than 2 flats! lol. Hope the Lantana do still pop up one day! I forget whats in the new flats?

I late winter night can be truly special. For me a bit lonely sometimes though. I had just gotten out of a relationship during last cuffing season, but this season I need to act. But Im glad you got to enjoy some of that alive vibe!

Thats awesome! Perfect that they have a class in that since you've become interested! You get the discount for being a Master Gardener? What a great resource! Page 30 digitally was page 58 of the pdf so I was looking at a page of kids classes and wondering why you'd sell yourself short and start with kid lessons :lol: But I found it, sounds like exact.y what you were looking to learn more about! And its so important to start to shift us all towards that far more sustainable approach too :headbang:

Yeah, Id work my way through their courses if I won the lotto! lol 

I came home with some coleus seeds, lol.  They need a heat mat and I have the lantana one.  Two of the flats are violet geraniums transplants.  I'm not sure what's in the 4th flat.

No discount for being a master gardener.  You have to be a botanical garden member.  I kept that book for class ideas.  Why go all the way downtown or out to Shaw when we could be doing those here?  I'm not the brains of this group but I'm pretty good at party planning.  Problem is they want to do children's programing.  Small groups of kids I'm okay with it's the bus full that scares the hell out of me, lol.

Mom thinks the necklace is doing too much.  Damn it woman, I'm having a good time spoiling my kid and trying to let you in on the fun.  She has a way of taking the joy out of what you're doing.  She's a good mom but there's somethings you don't talk to her about even though I keep trying.

44 minutes ago, cineater said:

I came home with some coleus seeds, lol.  They need a heat mat and I have the lantana one.  Two of the flats are violet geraniums transplants.  I'm not sure what's in the 4th flat.

No discount for being a master gardener.  You have to be a botanical garden member.  I kept that book for class ideas.  Why go all the way downtown or out to Shaw when we could be doing those here?  I'm not the brains of this group but I'm pretty good at party planning.  Problem is they want to do children's programing.  Small groups of kids I'm okay with it's the bus full that scares the hell out of me, lol.

Mom thinks the necklace is doing too much.  Damn it woman, I'm having a good time spoiling my kid and trying to let you in on the fun.  She has a way of taking the joy out of what you're doing.  She's a good mom but there's somethings you don't talk to her about even though I keep trying.

HA, well we know that the coleus like it there! A mystery flat sounds fun. Dont we all end up with a mystery flat one way or another? :lol:

A bus load of kids at the garden sounds fun!! As long as they have adults come with them that is. Yeah theres lots of good class ideas in there.

Oh Mom. :) I think its really graceful.

Im walking without a cane today and starting to feel like myself again. Starting to get a clear vision for my grow room. One great thing about growing micro greens is that you can keep them covered, in the dark, for a few days as they begin to germinate. This frees up space under the lights. But to keep yields coming in I need to do the math, so that I can have a started fast ready to slide under the lights after the previous one is harvested. Im much more of a freestyle gardener. But if I keep consistent methods and measurements and timing I can really maximize it and, once the math is sorted, it will be an easier process in the end. Best part is I'll need to buy a new knife to harvest - a smaller machete stye knife :headbang:

We do love our garden knives.  Good luck with that math.  I'm more freestyle too.  It's what makes it fun.    No cane!  Feeling better in general?

I checked.  I came home with Salvia, Shasta Daisy, Yarrow and the Mexican Petunia.  Everybody needed a little more water.

Yeah the wedding drama is creeping in there.  Caleb's mother found out the rest of his family is invited to the wedding, like they wouldn't be.  Apparently she is the black sheep in their family.  Everybody is taking bets if she'll even show and hoping she won't.  She's a pill popper.  I can handle that.  It's the rest of the alcoholics on both sides of the family that I'm going to find entertaining.  I'm enjoying this wedding and these folks are providing the laughs.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

We do love our garden knives.  Good luck with that math.  I'm more freestyle too.  It's what makes it fun.    No cane!  Feeling better in general?

I checked.  I came home with Salvia, Shasta Daisy, Yarrow and the Mexican Petunia.  Everybody needed a little more water.

Yeah the wedding drama is creeping in there.  Caleb's mother found out the rest of his family is invited to the wedding, like they wouldn't be.  Apparently she is the black sheep in their family.  Everybody is taking bets if she'll even show and hoping she won't.  She's a pill popper.  I can handle that.  It's the rest of the alcoholics on both sides of the family that I'm going to find entertaining.  I'm enjoying this wedding and these folks are providing the laughs.

I agree that freestyle is what makes it fun, so Im concerned that doing micro greens math might become laborious. But using the new knife is a nice payoff to look forward to during harvest. Will see.

Im feeling much better, yeah! But not quite. At least I started randomly inventing sandwiches in my mind, in passing moments, again. I guess that somehow shows that Im feeling more energetic to some extent. :lol:

You and that Salvia :P:lol: The type of yarrow that grows wild here can be used in place of hops to brew beer. Ive made a few batches of that. Its tasty.

Wedding drama?!?! Sounds like no fun at all. Seems like she could have figured the extended family was going to be invited. What degree of wedding shenanigans would you and your daughter find funny, or at least not have ruin the day? Could his mom take it behind that potentially? Hope its all just laughs.

Yeah, I'm just not sure about this lady.  Everybody is prepared to be pissed off at her, cut off her drinks and send her out the door most likely by way of ambulance where she'll leave the ER AMA.  Now is that anyway to treat a guest?  I don't think Caleb wants everybody waiting to be pissed off.  I haven't met her yet.  I'm thinking if she shows, I'll introduce her to my mother, lol.  They can have a little heart to heart.  My mother has a way of doing that to people.  She won't know what hit her.  She might want to go back and join her family after that. 

First meeting tomorrow with the planning group on what we are going to do with the demogradens to make them more educational.  I'm remembering I set this up.  I asked for it. :lol:

Damn it, I lost my tree and shrub lead.  I was fully staffed.

Edited by cineater

12 hours ago, cineater said:

Yeah, I'm just not sure about this lady.  Everybody is prepared to be pissed off at her, cut off her drinks and send her out the door most likely by way of ambulance where she'll leave the ER AMA.  Now is that anyway to treat a guest?  I don't think Caleb wants everybody waiting to be pissed off.  I haven't met her yet.  I'm thinking if she shows, I'll introduce her to my mother, lol.  They can have a little heart to heart.  My mother has a way of doing that to people.  She won't know what hit her.  She might want to go back and join her family after that. 

First meeting tomorrow with the planning group on what we are going to do with the demogradens to make them more educational.  I'm remembering I set this up.  I asked for it. :lol:

Damn it, I lost my tree and shrub lead.  I was fully staffed.

I like your plan to introduce her to your mother. :lol: Yeah, this must all be a lot for Caleb to take in too. Hope it goes much more smoothly than that!

You do it to yourself. :lol: This is right up your alley - I bet it'll be a lot of fun! So much good stuff to come.

Are tree leads harder to come by - its a more unique skill set maybe?

About creative writing, a friend ended up meeting my favourite high school english teacher and they made the connection that they both knew me. Apparently my teacher was enthusiastic about what a "great writer" I was. I dont recall knowing she thought that. And I would have thought that the stand-outs of our time together was her telling me all the stories about when she was a radical activist. Or how I got top marks on the final exam even though I hadnt attended many classes for some time. So I kinda believe she liked my writing. 

I more than kind of think that.  The fates are speaking to you, start writing.

Meeting went well.  We didn't get done but I had 6 people show up.  Mostly looked at my ideas and I got another person for the educational committee.

So that guy did make the big donation.  I looked at the check twice and was still not sure what I was seeing.  I'm just not sure what all those zeros mean.  Not something that happens in my world. :lol:  Moving us closer to our goal but I'm not sure where we are at with the funds.  I missed that meeting.  I'll find out tonight but Alex looked pretty happy.

Edited by cineater

I more than kind of think that.  The fates are speaking to you, start writing.

Meeting went well.  We didn't get done but I had 6 people show up.  Mostly looked at my ideas and I got another person for the educational committee.

So that guy did make the big donation.  I looked at the check twice and was still not sure what I was seeing.  I'm just not sure what all those zeros mean.  Not something that happens in my world. :lol:  Moving us closer to our goal but I'm not sure where we are at with the funds.  I missed that meeting.  I'll find out tonight but Alex looked pretty happy.

Now Im scared to start writing. Its weird.

Im glad to hear that the meeting went well! Sounds like youre off to a great start!

That dinosaur is gross af. If he messes with you and you dont wanna smack him yourself, just let me know! But all those zeros!!! Thats not something that happens in my world either! :lol: I hope it was all you needed and that youre set now.

I made deviled eggs and then my body informed me that it no longer likes deviled eggs. But I used my gardens dill and paprika in them so I feel the need to consume them and not waste them. :wacko::lol:

I give him a big SIDE hug, lol.  He deserved one but he wasn't getting full frontal.  I have on several layers of clothes.  And there was another man in the room.

Oh you're not good at writing, yet.  You have raw talent.  You need to practice to get good.  You're just screwing around with it at the moment.  Easy enough just to screw around, nothing scary there.  Plenty of time for that piece that you think is good and somebody gives you feedback.  Nobody even knows what you're up to.

Never liked deviled eggs, waste of good herbs in my book.  I don't even like the look or smell of them.  Right up there with anything avocado.

I feel so bad, I left Lily outside all night!  Both the cats are taking to the warmer weather and are staying out longer.

The onions are looking better having been in the fan.

One thing that came out of the group discussion on the garden tours is one of the leads is going to do a pollinator walk.  I'm thinking maybe we should do some more specific garden tours like that instead of the general tour.  That's my money making class.  That's if we are trying to make money.

17 hours ago, cineater said:

I give him a big SIDE hug, lol.  He deserved one but he wasn't getting full frontal.  I have on several layers of clothes.  And there was another man in the room.

Oh you're not good at writing, yet.  You have raw talent.  You need to practice to get good.  You're just screwing around with it at the moment.  Easy enough just to screw around, nothing scary there.  Plenty of time for that piece that you think is good and somebody gives you feedback.  Nobody even knows what you're up to.

Never liked deviled eggs, waste of good herbs in my book.  I don't even like the look or smell of them.  Right up there with anything avocado.

I forget if that guy has a daily role at the garden? 

I know Id be the only one reading my writing, it is weird that Im anxious about it. lol

The eggs are still sitting in the fridge :lol:

9 minutes ago, cineater said:

I feel so bad, I left Lily outside all night!  Both the cats are taking to the warmer weather and are staying out longer.

The onions are looking better having been in the fan.

One thing that came out of the group discussion on the garden tours is one of the leads is going to do a pollinator walk.  I'm thinking maybe we should do some more specific garden tours like that instead of the general tour.  That's my money making class.  That's if we are trying to make money.

Oh poor Lily! Was she scared?

Glad the fan fixed up those onion! I believe I have at least one sage germinated in my newest flat! I thought the sage seeds were too old so I seeded like 8 seeds per pod. Kale and basil germinating away too. Beaker nibbles them off just as soon as they pop up though :lol: I have a bit of mold which is annoying since I am bottom watering (except when I used a spray bottle to rehydrate soil before I seeded), the flat is directly under the lights and I have a fan on 27/7. How can I still have mould?

A Pollinator walk sounds awesome and I can see what youre saying about more specific walks.

Edited by soon

I'm getting a lot of mold too.  I'm thinking I need to crack the dome or I should have the domes with the vent holes.  Was just getting ready to email Marsha about it.  I know some of the problem is there is no fungicide in that growing medium.

Lily came in all loving on me.  She should have bitched a fit, lol. I'm going with she chose to stay out all night which she sometimes does but I didn't even remember to try to get her to come in, lol.  I thought she was in the house.  Good thing I got up early.

44 minutes ago, cineater said:

I'm getting a lot of mold too.  I'm thinking I need to crack the dome or I should have the domes with the vent holes.  Was just getting ready to email Marsha about it.  I know some of the problem is there is no fungicide in that growing medium.

Lily came in all loving on me.  She should have bitched a fit, lol. I'm going with she chose to stay out all night which she sometimes does but I didn't even remember to try to get her to come in, lol.  I thought she was in the house.  Good thing I got up early.

Lily missed you :heart:. Glad shes not a Lily scorned, lol. 

I think we both use the stuff with myoactive or whatever? I am wondering if the mold lives on my flats and once the soil is added, it spreads right away? But I dont know if mold spores can be dormant like that? I mean I clean them, but I dont sterilize them.

This tower gardening thing is a bit curious to me. You ever seen this stuff? Its aeroponic/hydroponic.

It makes a claim to be a more sustainable growing model. I think that it has a lot in its favour, but I also have some doubts. Like how is the nutrient solution made? The feeding solution is heavy and ships in plastic containers so thats not so eco. The growth medium is rock wool, which is made first-and-foremost for building insulation and can irritate skin and airways (!!!). Plus, what will we do with our food scraps if not turn them into nutrient dense soil to feed our plants with?

The first vid has them using cooc core (spl?) which Id be way happier with, but it seems the home models arent compatible. And then the seedlings are placed into plastic pods which isnt my favourite either.

But the consistency and ease of use is tempting to me in the business sense. Might be a gimmick to advertise that I use the 'green tech of the future.' But I dont wanna lie. Like, I dont wanna grow food to sell this way and then grow my own food in soil. :lol:

Yeah I have concerns about that vertical gardening too.  Looks like it's becoming popular.  The biggest one is hydroponics requires a lot of chemicals that are now going into the environment and into your body, at least I would think.  There's a lot of plastic going on and you know what they say about plastic water bottles.  Looks like more labor to me, monitoring all that stuff and feeding the plants.  Looks more expensive with all the equipment and, where the hell are you going to put it.  This would probably be something I would do if I had to, if I lived in outer space, limited growing season, cave dweller but while I have mother nature on my side, I'm going to work with her.  This is probably a passing fad with millennials.  It comes around every once in a while.  It's not brand new.

My flats have been soaked in bleach water for 5 minutes so I don't think the mold/fungus comes from last year.  It's probably coming in with the soil medium or maybe on the seed coat?

Couple of articles:  https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/presence-of-mold-on-growing-media/ and https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/controlling-algae-on-growing-media/ 

Edited by cineater
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I have concerns about that vertical gardening too.  Looks like it's becoming popular.  The biggest one is hydroponics requires a lot of chemicals that are now going into the environment and into your body, at least I would think.  There's a lot of plastic going on and you know what they say about plastic water bottles.  Looks like more labor to me, monitoring all that stuff and feeding the plants.  Looks more expensive with all the equipment and, where the hell are you going to put it.  This would probably be something I would do if I had to, if I lived in outer space, limited growing season, cave dweller but while I have mother nature on my side, I'm going to work with her.  This is probably a passing fad with millennials.  It comes around every once in a while.  It's not brand new.

My flats have been soaked in bleach water for 5 minutes so I don't think the mold/fungus comes from last year.  It's probably coming in with the soil medium or maybe on the seed coat?

Okay, good, its not just me with concerns about the towers then. I guess Ill just move on and continue with mother nature. Im still facing some dilemmas about using a nutrient solution for micro greens though. Soil mold is a bigger problem when growing micro greens so many people use coca core which isnt very nutrient dense but doesnt retain moisture. So then they add a nutrient solution to the bottom watering. 

I should wash my trays that way. i never thought the fungus could be on the seed coating. I do tend to have open packs around. And they get wet soil in them frequently. That really could be the case for me.

Okay, Im way too disappointed that the red pepper I bought had mold inside. I was so excited to eat that there pepper! Half in the pasta Im making now and have for a cold pasta salad. I did get some fresh thyme though. And once Im down eating this I will start some thyme seeds (this time properly, on dry soil) :headbang:

According to those articles the mold is just everywhere.  I guess we just scrap it off if it's blocking the water.  I know I've looked at it and thought wet only to find out it was just the mold.  Take that pepper back to the store.

The salvia popped up.  It was just seeded on Saturday.  I'm now wondering at what point the seedlings come off the heat mat.  Another Marsha question.

My meeting today was a little annoying.  Justin came in and he wants more of a hand in the trainees but doesn't know what he wants to do.  I have a plan and we know it works.  But then he says he doesn't have the time to do what he is responsible for.  So take your hand out of the education committee and the trainees!  I'm going to stop telling him what I'm up to, lol.

I did find out we are $18000 away from our goal for the creek project.  I also saw the sign that the donor's get their name on.  It says "this garden saved by".  Little weird on the wording.  I'm not sure what that means to the financial situation of the Extension Center.

Edited by cineater

13 hours ago, cineater said:

According to those articles the mold is just everywhere.  I guess we just scrap it off if it's blocking the water.  I know I've looked at it and thought wet only to find out it was just the mold.  Take that pepper back to the store.

The salvia popped up.  It was just seeded on Saturday.  I'm now wondering at what point the seedlings come off the heat mat.  Another Marsha question.

My meeting today was a little annoying.  Justin came in and he wants more of a hand in the trainees but doesn't know what he wants to do.  I have a plan and we know it works.  But then he says he doesn't have the time to do what he is responsible for.  So take your hand out of the education committee and the trainees!  I'm going to stop telling him what I'm up to, lol.

I did find out we are $18000 away from our goal for the creek project.  I also saw the sign that the donor's get their name on.  It says "this garden saved by".  Little weird on the wording.  I'm not sure what that means to the financial situation of the Extension Center.

Thanks for these articles. So much to learn! In addition to it effecting watering, I also once saw a news story where a guy was walking on wet soil and some sort of plume of fungus spores shot out of the soil and into his lungs. He became severely cognitively impaired for a while as a result. I cant get that out of my head when I come across mold in the trays! lol

Salvia are fast! I have really spotty germination in the worst way - with some pods having 5 sprouts and many having none, so far.

Ugh, that would be annoying. Wish he'd just trust your experience. Sounds like he doesnt know how to give this work the proper respect?

Oh. Yeah thats still a chunk a change, eh? Okay that sign pisses me off! Its not saved yet and it will be more saved be you, not these partial donors.

Spent last night just running my hand through my plants with Beaker. And checking for germinations. After sundown the shadows cast by the grow lights creates quite the mood.

Maybe the spotty sprouting is just the early ones and the rest will show up later.  I kind of have that going on too.

Haven't mentioned the hostas in a while.  They're doing good but staying small.  I really am not a fan of the heat mat.  Feel like it really drys out the soil.  Marsha said they get two weeks on the mat once germination occurs.  I'm out of room.  The other trays on the mat haven't germinated yet.  I can't just turn off the mat.  Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

I was up till 3 before I gave up on Simone coming in the house.  I got up at 7 to see if she wanted to come in before it rained.  She comes walking out from the back rooms and wants to go outside!  I swear I searched the house twice looking for her. :lol:

Maybe the spotty sprouting is just the early ones and the rest will show up later.  I kind of have that going on too.

Haven't mentioned the hostas in a while.  They're doing good but staying small.  I really am not a fan of the heat mat.  Feel like it really drys out the soil.  Marsha said they get two weeks on the mat once germination occurs.  I'm out of room.  The other trays on the mat haven't germinated yet.  I can't just turn off the mat.  Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

I was up till 3 before I gave up on Simone coming in the house.  I got up at 7 to see if she wanted to come in before it rained.  She comes walking out from the back rooms and wants to go outside!  I swear I searched the house twice looking for her. :lol:

I hope the rest of our seeds germinate.

Hostas are a bit more picky arent they? They were getting burnt leafs from the lights and now they are growing slow?

Haha, Simone!! Im lucky that Beaker will emerge from hiding if I call him. Takes a minute if he's sleeping but he comes.

Im still trying to eat these deviled eggs :lol: Cooking up a harvest of my lake today. Sautéing with garlic, onion, cremini mushrooms, thyme, rice vinegar and walnuts. :drool:

I think the hosta might be too far out of the lights but they kind of did that last year and went to slow growers.  The ones I put in the ground stayed babies all year but they were also in the shade.  I think I'm going to put some in pots this year and put them around the yard in different light spots and see if they grow differently.

Lily comes when called.  Simone is always she might, lol.  Bird activity has really perked up and both cats are chirping back at them, "I want to kill you".

Good day to do home repairs.  I'm still waiting for the mood to hit me.  It's probably going to happen tonight and I'll be up again all night.  I'm hiding out at home until the steering committee on Friday.  Hate those, they take so long.

I've been on a killing spree!  I went in to scrape some of the mold off the soil and it was covered in fungus gnats.  They were flying yet so I assume they just hatched.  Hydro sprayed the whole group.

Edited by cineater

I think the hosta might be too far out of the lights but they kind of did that last year and went to slow growers.  The ones I put in the ground stayed babies all year but they were also in the shade.  I think I'm going to put some in pots this year and put them around the yard in different light spots and see if they grow differently.

Lily comes when called.  Simone is always she might, lol.  Bird activity has really perked up and both cats are chirping back at them, "I want to kill you".

Good day to do home repairs.  I'm still waiting for the mood to hit me.  It's probably going to happen tonight and I'll be up again all night.  I'm hiding out at home until the steering committee on Friday.  Hate those, they take so long.

Thats a good idea to experiment with the Hostas placement.

Ha, both your cats do kill! Mine just chirps through the window.

Whenever you start, I hope the home repairs go well! Good idea to hide out. Recently a neighbour came to me to 'chat' about proposing a smoking ban in our building. I knew what they were about so I basically forced them to state that they wanted me to propose their proposal, even though they will be in attendance at the meeting and are fully capable of doing it on their own :facepalm: Sometimes I swear, it seems that like 85% of people are completely out of their minds! :lol: 

15 hours ago, cineater said:

Is that within their jurisdiction?  I would think that would be the owner of the property to say.  Sometimes it's just not a democracy folks.

I made spaghetti squash.  Love that stuff.

I love spaghetti squash too! :headbang:I heard "love that stuff" in Axls voice from Night Train :lol: I need to get some. I wonder if it would go with a lentil curry?

Our housing is a democracy - its a coop! I forgot to attend the meeting though so I hope they got the no smoking thing passed.

Still thinking about growing mediums for micro greens. If I use soil I will always have to wash and dry them. That sounds like a pain in the ass.