Gardening

Gracii Guns

18 hours ago, cineater said:

You're probably sick of that cane but I'm glad you are up and about.  Consider the slush puddle his wake up call for don't do that!

Lily is a big old coward at the vet.  She's still letting me know her displeasure with that whole adventure.  I think she doesn't mind the car ride but she really hates the crate that is until we get there and then she won't come out.

My native plant club has informed me they have signed up to take care of a plot out at the nature preserve.  Guess I have another garden to tend.  I finished up the coleus cuttings and did a few begonias.  Looks like my lavender might want to bloom.  Still waiting on the lantana.

Have you noticed the days are getting longer?

Come to think of it, I have heard dripping water.  I just thought it was the shower and I hadn't turned it off enough.  But I only hear it after a shower and that would be in the other bathroom.  The 2 bathrooms back up to each other.  Since I'm on a slab, you have to cut out the drywall to see what's going on with the pipes.  This is turning into a mess real quick.

Thanks, it was very nice to be out. I think the wake up call really hit home :lol:

Sounds like the vet visit was good in the sense of no issues were detected? I hope shes forgiven you by now. 

Thats so exciting about the new native bed to tend to! Hopefully it just pure gardening fun with out any additional beaurocratic stuff! Way to go with that Lavender! I cant even get it to flower in my garden half the time!

I havent really noticed the days getting longer, but Im gonna make sure to be mindful of that. Will feel good to notice that :headbang:

Yikes, that sounds like no fun at all. What did your friend say about it?

If you had to guess what I was doing and you said 'making a lentil curry' you'd be right. Its like every day is just one lentil curry after the other :lol:

I have never had lentil curry.  My one adventure into curry dishes did not turn out well.  So bad I may never try that again.

I was reading an article about millennials.  Houseplants are fashionable with them but they are afraid they won't be good "plant parents" because they don't know how to take care of plants.  Why does this group think of themselves as "parents" when it comes to pets and plants? :lol: Get a real kid!  It's an approach I can use when working with younger people and maybe convince Marsha we can sell houseplants in the plant sale.  She turns her nose up to them.  I'm not a fan but that is because I'm like not another one in the house.

Lily is good.  The cats are very curious about what is going on in the bathroom.  I've cleaned everything out from under the sink and in the closet so Craig can get in there.  He'll be by this morning.  I think this leak has been going on for a while.  I'm rarely in that closet.

The weather guy said we were adding 15 hours a week of daylight.  I notice it more at the end of the day.

20 minutes ago, cineater said:

I have never had lentil curry.  My one adventure into curry dishes did not turn out well.  So bad I may never try that again.

I was reading an article about millennials.  Houseplants are fashionable with them but they are afraid they won't be good "plant parents" because they don't know how to take care of plants.  Why does this group think of themselves as "parents" when it comes to pets and plants? :lol: Get a real kid!  It's an approach I can use when working with younger people and maybe convince Marsha we can sell houseplants in the plant sale.  She turns her nose up to them.  I'm not a fan but that is because I'm like not another one in the house.

Lily is good.  The cats are very curious about what is going on in the bathroom.  I've cleaned everything out from under the sink and in the closet so Craig can get in there.  He'll be by this morning.  I think this leak has been going on for a while.  I'm rarely in that closet.

The weather guy said we were adding 15 hours a week of daylight.  I notice it more at the end of the day.

Yay Lily! Well thats doen for another year.

Yeesh.... I wont ask any follow up questions about that curry.... :lol: Todays isn't going well actually either. I chopped the onions a few days ago and they may have turned. Too late now, I'll finish cooking it and see where its at.

We err I mean those millennials are said to have destroyed the napkin industry too.:smiley-confused2: I've kept lots of houseplants over the years. Especially with a previous neighbour who smoked like a chimney, the plants are great to purify the air! NASA actually did a study on best purifying plants. And I learned about it from, wait for it... Wellness Mama. I dont think shes a millennial though! lol This article is newer and lists some different plants than I kept (spider, mother in laws tongue, aloe, christmas cactus) but it might help you make your case to Marsha https://wellnessmama.com/140122/best-houseplants/ I got rid of mine when my garden seedlings needed all the window space for extended periods. 

Succulents are still kinda trendy for the reason you mention about 'bad plant parents' because they are low maintenance. Aloes a fun one because it cleans the air, it heals wounds, it can be used in a face cream preparation and it can be drank for nutrients and to soothe the digestive track. I forgot mine in a storage locked for like 4 months once and it survived!!

Bring on more daylight :headbang:Im gonna watch the sunset today.

lol, you listed the same houseplants I have.  Plus a few more. :lol:  I'm going to save that article, good thing to add to a class on caring for your house plants.

I'm asking around about plant communities.  Most people think I'm talking about companion planting.  Yes, but so much more.  I'm reading Piet Oudolf.  He's good with design but he's above ground and not into bugs.  And he's from Europe.  He's talking about bringing native plants from the US over to Europe.  That's bad!  That's how you get invasives.  Can't believe I read that in a book.

25 minutes ago, cineater said:

lol, you listed the same houseplants I have.  Plus a few more. :lol:  I'm going to save that article, good thing to add to a class on caring for your house plants.

I'm asking around about plant communities.  Most people think I'm talking about companion planting.  Yes, but so much more.  I'm reading Piet Oudolf.  He's good with design but he's above ground and not into bugs.  And he's from Europe.  He's talking about bringing native plants from the US over to Europe.  That's bad!  That's how you get invasives.  Can't believe I read that in a book.

Maybe the houseplants can unite the generations?! :lol: My spider plant was given to me by a Gen Xer, and as Im sure you know Spider Plants have so many satellite plants to share.

Sounds like your houseplants are still going though :headbang:

Im really excited to learn more through you about plant communities!! What an incredible concept!

I cant belive thats printed in a book either! What a bonkers idea.

Curry turned out fine!! Adding some butter at the end as it cools never hurts either.

I just posted this vid in the listening thread, but you might like it too (if you havent seen it already). I wish Beaker was in this. Maybe I just missed seeing Lily and Simone in it though? Too cool!

How did those dogs get in there?  Back in the late 70's we had two cats, one named China Cat, black and white, and the other Sunflower, an orange.

He's going to work me in on a rainy day.  He's doing outdoor work at the moment digging footers, I think for a deck.  I'm going to quick finish up my caulking and see if I can get the shower to quit leaking.  If not, have him fix that too.  He's going to have to cut through the drywall.  I suck at drywall repair.  Don't have the patience for all that sanding.  Looks like I'll be tore up a while.  It pays to have two bathrooms.

I can babble on for an hour on your basic how to take care of houseplants.  I have spider babies everywhere.  The secret to them is let the mom get root bound.  My M-I-L plant started as one spike.  I've had it 45 years, it's huge.

Cute about your cats.

Ugh, sounds like its gonna be a big to do. Hopefully you can solve the leak today at least.

"Spider babies?" What are you a millennial? :lol: I never did care for any of mine that well. But my christmas cactus usually bloomed at least. So, I need your care tips. Every time my MIL started to grow out, it would die. I went through at least 4.

Thats awesome that you've had a plant for 45 years!!! 

• Haha 1

MIL are best ignored, not too much water and they don't really care for rich soil.  The leaves on mine are around 3 feet.  My Christmas cactus doesn't bloom all that well.  It probably needs to get a little cooler.  

So the cat scratching post in the shape of a cactus turned out to be two ropes meant to build your own.  Apparently my daughter was fooled by the name as were many people complaining.  Non returnable too.

Edited by cineater

Thats no fun about the Cactus scratching post. What a scam.

Maybe I should take another try at a MIL. I know that the shortening day light helps the chrstimas cactus bloom, so it needs to be where it can really 'notice' the difference in day light hours that happens around christmas and preferably in an otherwise dark room.

Had lentil curry "poutine."

13 hours ago, cineater said:

I had to look up poutine.  That looks good.

Looks like the ex wants to stop by on his way back from Florida.  Could have seen GNR but that's kind of awkward taking a trip with the ex when it's just the two of you.  Not even for GNR was I doing that. :lol:

Oh right, I should have thought to explain poutine since its regional to Quebec. It is so good!!!! I just looked it up to see if there was any poutine in St Louis. And a few websites online say that a bar called The Tap Room (or The Schafly Tap Room??) has good poutine. If you ever feel like trying some. :) 

Yeah, thats an awkward spot for sure. Wish you could have gone some other way. 

Schafly is buying a restaurant by me.  I will check that out.  Little area of town by the river with lots of speciality shops.  The restaurant is in this old building that's pretty cool.  I like to walk around down there.

Herb class this morning.  And monthly meeting tonight.  I'm going to get a sticker for my badge for that 800 hours, lol.

15 minutes ago, cineater said:

Schafly is buying a restaurant by me.  I will check that out.  Little area of town by the river with lots of speciality shops.  The restaurant is in this old building that's pretty cool.  I like to walk around down there.

Herb class this morning.  And monthly meeting tonight.  I'm going to get a sticker for my badge for that 800 hours, lol.

Well that works out well! I love places like you describe along rivers. We have lots of rivers here but not so many of those strips.

Library herb class?? They just keep coming! Hope its another slam dunk. Yay sticker badge! :lol: 

But that really is impressive and awesome though. Hope that wont be the only fun part of the meeting either.

43 people at 10:00 on a snowy weekday for the herb class.  Apparently we are a big deal with the library.  The one lady told me there's a group of them who have been talking over email and the libraries are being told to be prepared for a crowd.  I'm thrilled with the success and so is the library.  The guy who is directly over us came today.  He was impressed too.  Fliers going home with folks, fingers crossed they show up for the other events.

Of course I walked out of that class thinking hyssop hamburger. :lol:  I want to try that so bad.  And now I'm hungry.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cineater said:

43 people at 10:00 on a snowy weekday for the herb class.  Apparently we are a big deal with the library.  The one lady told me there's a group of them who have been talking over email and the libraries are being told to be prepared for a crowd.  I'm thrilled with the success and so is the library.  The guy who is directly over us came today.  He was impressed too.  Fliers going home with folks, fingers crossed they show up for the other events.

Of course I walked out of that class thinking hyssop hamburger. :lol:  I want to try that so bad.  And now I'm hungry.

Awesome! :headbang:That is nothing short of amazing - that turnout at that time slot in bad weather!!!! I can imagine you're a big deal with the library! I honestly cant believe you are getting these huge turnouts! Youre doing it right, thats for sure! And you impressed the higher up. Well done!

I had a thought about my hyssop recipe and have a change to make to it. I'd said you could mix the slivered hyssop and ketchup ahead of time. But I think don't do that so that the slivers still have their fresh texture. They could get soggy otherwise.

I want one now too! :lol:

Seriously, you are kicking ass over there.

They talked about putting your herbs in stick butter, mix it up and freeze it.  That way you have herb butter to cook with or spread on stuff.  Good for about six months.

I wouldn't think the hyssop slivers would be big enough to worry about the fresh texture and sometimes it's just all about do I have the time.  I'm hungry now and don't want to spend time doing a lot of prep work.

34 minutes ago, cineater said:

They talked about putting your herbs in stick butter, mix it up and freeze it.  That way you have herb butter to cook with or spread on stuff.  Good for about six months.

I wouldn't think the hyssop slivers would be big enough to worry about the fresh texture and sometimes it's just all about do I have the time.  I'm hungry now and don't want to spend time doing a lot of prep work.

That sounds yummy! I should do that. Sometimes I chop up chives, ginger and garlic and freeze it - just the herbs - in the ice cube tray. I use that for Marinades. That butter would be great for cooking! On steak :drool:

I just went out for one food stuff and came home with all the breads :lol: Antijitos with my garden salsa, here I come!!

Whats the next class?

100 years of agriculture in this area is the next class.

I went out for the food for tonight and came home with 4 Reese's filled muffins at 450 calories per muffin!  Blame Melissa and her picture, lol.  Doesn't taste anything like a peanut butter cup either.  Guess I'll just have to eat them.

One of the class participants said her family makes olive oil and you are suppose to put it in the frig a month after it's been open otherwise it starts to breakdown.  I've never done that.  The bottle just says keep in a cool dark place.

35 minutes ago, cineater said:

100 years of agriculture in this area is the next class.

I went out for the food for tonight and came home with 4 Reese's filled muffins at 450 calories per muffin!  Blame Melissa and her picture, lol.  Doesn't taste anything like a peanut butter cup either.  Guess I'll just have to eat them.

One of the class participants said her family makes olive oil and you are suppose to put it in the frig a month after it's been open otherwise it starts to breakdown.  I've never done that.  The bottle just says keep in a cool dark place.

Man that sounds so fascinating, I wish I could attend! You'll have to tell me about it?

HbDT4gi.jpg

^^ That one? lol

If they did taste like reeses cups that would be nice. Its incredible how high calorie muffins are! I haven't seen one of my dearest friends since christmas 2018 and they made muffins, thats the last Ive had any. I want them to come home and make more.

Ive never done that with my olive oil either. Maybe Im just going through that stuff fast enough? I keep flax oil in the fridge though. I've definitely had sesame oil go bad, never olive oil. Learn something new everyday.

That looks like a donut.  She had a picture for her wall with Reese's Peanut Butter packages on it.  Like you need that hanging around to give your cravings, lol.

I had a good showing of hands tonight of people willing to lead garden tours.  I'm starting to think I'm doing something right, lol.  And I got 4 people on my team to come up with educational activities around the gardens.  I only wanted a small group so I stopped at that.

Edited by cineater

11 hours ago, cineater said:

That looks like a donut.  She had a picture for her wall with Reese's Peanut Butter packages on it.  Like you need that hanging around to give your cravings, lol.

I had a good showing of hands tonight of people willing to lead garden tours.  I'm starting to think I'm doing something right, lol.  And I got 4 people on my team to come up with educational activities around the gardens.  I only wanted a small group so I stopped at that.

When did donuts get so ornate? There was a "scandal" here recently when the Prime Minister bought fancy donuts and people got mad :lol: For me, I just get donuts from the grocery store. They are circles of dough with sprinkles or sticky chocolate and thats it. Yeah, Mels wall is basically a food craving :lol:

Sounds like the meetings went really well. I think you are doing it right! Thats a good size team - plenty of hands but not too many opinions lol.

I had a dream about gardening with some gardening friends. I think it was of one of my new jobs. I cant wait!!

Follow that dream, lol.

Awards night with the gardens.  Marsha and I were the only two with over 800 hours of volunteer time for last year.  And two of the leads got the major award.  So while we were doing the awards, I got Kathy to agree to do a class on caring for your houseplants, put my garden planning team together with a date to meet, arranged for a speaker before one of the meetings, got a dozen people to volunteer to be garden tour guides, put the second Saturday of the month on folks calendar as garden clean up days and arranged for our August fun class.  Plus networked with everybody I could.

And if I couldn't accomplish any more.  Our head guy with the extension, the one who helps set our goals, told the group what we were doing next year.  He basically said how the new education team we are forming is going to focus on using the demo gardens to educate.  lol, it's what I've been pushing.  And I got him a person for his team.

I'd like to jump up and down but I'm a little tired. :lol:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, cineater said:

Follow that dream, lol.

Awards night with the gardens.  Marsha and I were the only two with over 800 hours of volunteer time for last year.  And two of the leads got the major award.  So while we were doing the awards, I got Kathy to agree to do a class on caring for your houseplants, put my garden planning team together with a date to meet, arranged for a speaker before one of the meetings, got a dozen people to volunteer to be garden tour guides, put the second Saturday of the month on folks calendar as garden clean up days and arranged for our August fun class.  Plus networked with everybody I could.

And if I couldn't accomplish any more.  Our head guy with the extension, the one who helps set our goals, told the group what we were doing next year.  He basically said how the new education team we are forming is going to focus on using the demo gardens to educate.  lol, it's what I've been pushing.  And I got him a person for his team.

I'd like to jump up and down but I'm a little tired. :lol:

I meant to ask about the award! Congratulations.

You sure got a lot done at that meeting. Made up for the philosophical meeting. Youre moving fast these days - having only just mentioned thinking of doing a houseplant care class. Thats great! All those tasks covered plus th networking, you'll be running things on the State level before long!

HAHA, everyones claiming your ideas! At least they are being implemented. Well done.

And, really, being the good form of exhausted is a big part of the joy or gardening.

You really don't want to talk to me at a meeting, lol.  I come in with things I want to accomplish and am working it.  You may just walk out of there with stuff to do.  I make them feel excited about it so that's at least something. :lol:

Leslie came up with a new project.  Once the creek project is done, we need to plant things that support preventing the erosion.  Plus we need a barrier to keep the kids off of it and people falling over the edge.  Kevins immediate response was "no, not going to think about that until it's done".  That's how a project takes two years or dies.  I'm already plotting how I'm going to get the Master Naturalist to team up with us on this, where we're going to get the free plants and the timeline for getting it done.  My big worry is water needs to flow through there.  I don't want a bunch of plants preventing that or collecting all the debris that the flood waters move along.  And we may have a warranty issue about how close we can plant to that plus the overhead power lines that run through there.  I need to recruit a lead for that whole project.

I'm going to play mother nature with the lantana and bring in the spring rains.  I'm going to increase their water for a few days hoping to dissolve that seed coat.  I don't think we scared them up enough.

You can make Beaker a TV.

5568888.jpg?auto=format&w=600&h=720&fit=

I use to make these all the time.  Use river rock for a more natural look.  Cats love to sit there and watch that fish.  Just have to make sure they can't knock it over.  Here's some pinterest ideas https://www.pinterest.com/pin/463730092857446358/?lp=true .  That one doesn't have enough room for air to get to the water, use one with a more airy design.  I was thinking our millennials might like that.