The importance of Mike Clink

Even lyrically AFD compared to its genre companions isn’t dated or cliche in my opinion. Bands like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Motley Crue you can guess the verses and rhymes before you’ve heard them haha. 

The misogyny is probably the most glaring relic but even then if you view it as a portrait of LA and that scene it’s not like it’s inaccurate. 

But with respect to the production I’ve read multiple times the mixing is held up as an achievement and there’s really nothing to fix with a remastering. The separation and sound...sounds big not overly compressed... it’s just phenomenal... timeless.

UYI is the one that is always discussed as being prime for a redo.  I’m not really sure how much of that is the mixing and how much is just wanting to trim the fat Axl introduced. 

I for one want a version of Garden of Eden without that god damn synth :). That song rocks! It was even better with Popcorn... ah well...

Edited by Ant

37 minutes ago, tremolo said:

So you think you get to decide how the argument of the topic goes, what belongs to the discussion and what doesn’t.... brilliant! :facepalm:

You just don’t know how to have a normal conversation with people with different views. You start by pulling arguments out of your ass, pretending I said something I didn’t say, and when you are called out on your bullshit you come up with that’s not what this thread is about, read the title, genius :facepalm:.

Better luck next time:hug:

Taking the high road on this one - I’ll let you dig the hole, son 😘

Mutt Lange was considered before being deemed too expensive... I would love to have an alternate universe copy of that just for the fun of it. I imagine the Clink version is probably the one I'd prefer but I mean... GNR with hand claps, stomps... maybe some cannons.

Welcome to thaaa jungaaaaaheellll.... *explosion*... got fun an' games... HEEEY!!!

Edited by Ant

3 hours ago, Ant said:

Mutt Lange was considered before being deemed too expensive... I would love to have an alternate universe copy of that just for the fun of it. I imagine the Clink version is probably the one I'd prefer but I mean... GNR with hand claps, stomps... maybe some cannons.

Welcome to thaaa jungaaaaaheellll.... *explosion*... got fun an' games... HEEEY!!!

"Welcome to thaaa jungaaaaaheellll.... *explosion*... got fun an' games... HEEEY!!!" :lol:

That really makes me laugh!> Then again Mutt did produce ac/dc's highway to hell album, so they could add in the cannons. Bon Scott never called Mutt by his name, Bon called him the C word all the time. Also im glad he didnt produce guns, he pussified def leppard with Hysteria. So guns keeping Clink they made the right decision.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:24 PM, appetite4illusions said:

Isn't it interesting that Mike Clink was super successful with GnR and then went on to do nothing of particular importance?

I think, if I may make the argument, that Clink isn't as responsible for the fantastic sound we got out of AFD. I have come to believe over the years that it was Thompson and Barbiero's role as mixers that gives that album its dynamic and throaty punch.

Why do I think that? Because if you look at the output of the people involved, it's clear that Steve Thompson especially has gone on to do the best work and his stuff has consistently sounded amazing.

Mike Clink? He was hot after AFD. Definitely hot. He was hired by Metallica to do And Justice For All...

As much as James Hetfield has liked to shit on Guns N' Roses and bands of that ilk, he seems to put a lot of stock into the quality that producers du jour get. So Metallica hires Clink, presumably to help them capture some amazing sounds in the way he did for GnR. They also line up Thompson and Barbiero to mix the album down the line (as you can see, Lars must have been super into the record). But for reasons that have never adequately been explained, Mike Clink was fired. 

Down the line, Motley Crue were trying to come back after their last two comebacks failed. They hired Mike Clink, presumably to help them capture some amazing sounds in the way he did for GnR. Anybody who has heard New Tattoo, or even remembers it, would know it is probably Motley's worst record and the sound on it is pretty disgusting. A band like Motley, which is as close to GnR as you can get in Clink's wheelhouse, got none of that AFD sound on their record. It sounded flat and one-dimensional.

I think Mike did good work on AFD but I think Steve Thompson and Mike Barbiero did better work and it's just a matter of looking at what the people have done on the records since.

To be fair though....Did Motley Crue ever do anything memorable after the Dr. Feel good album?? It didn't matter who the producer would have been, they consistently turned out duds. The Crue was smart enough to stop making new material after Saints of Los Angeles, and focus on touring/shows. 

On 4/21/2018 at 2:58 AM, Bailey96 said:

I think clink is an important figure out when talking about the success of the band. Better choice than Paul Stanley. Sucks he never really had big success outside of guns with the exception of Megadeths rust in peace. To think about it though, appetite for  destruction and rust in peace is on your resume, that’s good enough for me. 

Slash, Duff, Axl all said they never considered Paul Stanley to produce them and were making fun of him - Slash learned his lesson. 

Considering Mike Clink worked under Ron Nevison, he easily could have made them sound overproduced and polished. 

On 4/21/2018 at 8:45 AM, tremolo said:

Are you kidding me? AFD sounds pretty dated, it just screams late 80s cockrock.

It is a great album and has many positive qualities that everyone has raved about in the last 30 years, but sounding timeless is not one of them.

One of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum. 

Cockrock?  Why even listen to them if that is your opinion of perhaps the greatest hard rock record of all time?