27 years ago today- UYI's were released

6 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Definetly agree. The question is are gnr capable of doing the exact same thing with this lineup if as slash says " they could do an album tour album"  cycle.

I think it will be more like flying the flag for rock n roll. 

It could be kind of legendary, if not capturing the zeitjest. 

There might be some fun way to tie it all together with the next Terminator movie?

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I think it will be more like flying the flag for rock n roll. 

It could be kind of legendary, if not capturing the zeitjest. 

There might be some fun way to tie it all together with the next Terminator movie?

In terms of the next terminator , i hope history will repeat itself. 

19 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

In terms of the next terminator , i hope history will repeat itself. 

It’s kind of the obvious thing to do, and it will be a story in the press. That would create a cool moment to hang the first two weeks on. They just need that classic GNR rocker. Then they can do whatever on the rest of the album, a ballad maybe, a couple of epics, acoustic,  whatever. 

I’m kind of living in a fantasyland I know. Triple cd?

Edited by wasted

I was 18.  A few friends and myself went to 'Sounds Familiar' at midnight.  Waste of time as the line was out the door, and by the time we got to grab them only Illusions I was left.  I remember thinking "Who is buying just Illusions II and not both?!?".  I am guessing because YCBM and Civil War had already been heard more people decided to buy II first.  Anyway that weekend after most everyone I knew (metal head or not) had their copies we had a listening party.  Most of us had already listened to them, but wanted a reason to party.  That's what made that time period so great as fan of any band much less G'n'R.  Just the love of rock, live music, and overall excitement of new music from your favorite band.  Although we never had listening party like that for any other band's release.  G'n'R were special to everyone in that day and age. 

What's funny is at the time some of my friends didn't like Illusions that much because it didn't sound like Appetite, but I personally loved the progression.  G'n'R had provided a sound track for my teenage years, and now I was growing up with them and their music.  Some of us are still debating this today.  Even funnier I don't care a whole lot for Chinese Democracy for similar reasons.  However the bigger reason is no Slash or Duff (even Izzy to an extent).  

Edited by sc_gunner
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sc_gunner said:

What's funny is at the time some of my friends didn't like Illusions that much because it didn't sound like Appetite, but I personally loved the progression.  G'n'R had provided a sound track for my teenage years, and now I was growing up with them and their music.  Some of us are still debating this today.  Even funnier I don't care a whole lot for Chinese Democracy for similar reasons.  However the bigger reason is no Slash or Duff (even Izzy to an extent).  

Agreed. And what a soundtrack to grow up to! There was a song for every teenage emotion, ha!.

I always thought I didn't mind Chinese Democracy until I realised the only time I have listened to the songs apart from when it was first released is at their shows.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Fuck I feel old.

The 90s where the best era ever 

This.

I don’t even know how this music would sound to me if I didn’t have it in the context of that time.

The period from Appetite through grunge up to 1996 and the end of Britpop was brilliant. Great music, great drugs and great great bands. 

An earlier poster mentioned his Aunt was a nun who bought him the albums.... I went to a Catholic school and the teacher would rattle on 2-3 times a week about bands being Satanic and all this bollocks. Madonna with her black jesus and all that stuff. Guns were a prime target of this monkeys ire. Droning on about playing their music backwards and getting messages.... being into Guns in the area I grew up in was for people who were “trouble” ...drinkers, bikers, stoners, coke heads, fighters. It was a lifestyle for sure. And it was fucking great 😂

Nirvana are also a band that make no sense now. They stopped making sense to me the day he was found dead. That period was a great great time to be alive and into music. Nirvana and bands of that ilk were brilliant live, you knew the people at the gigs were cool, and it was pure joy when they played. It felt like music and society were changing at that time, it did feel somewhat revolutionary, tv shows like the word on channel 4 were chaotic, print media was changing, indie record labels were churning out hit after hit, the underground was coming overground there was a change happening. That ended the minute he was found dead for me. Nirvana have never sounded the same to me since. Oasis filled that gap. Seeing them live on the tours for the first two albums were brilliant gigs. But it ended in 96 I think, bullshit record company stuff got hold of music again around that time. 

Guns N Roses releasing UYI 1&2 on the same day and the tour that followed made perfect sense in the 90s. They were the last great rock band in the mould of Stones, Zeppelin, etc.... But no one knew it then.

The 90s pissed all over the 60s.

There, I said it. 😂

• Like 2