Albums/artists with a similar sound to Chinese Democracy?

44 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Ive listened to this album countless times, with the players that axl had like brian may for fucks sake, CD could have been todays equivalent to brian wilsons/beach boys wall of sound album. With axl tinkering on it he fucked it up to the point the original intent of how the flow and each song sounded was gone. CD will go down in history as a mish mash or a springboard of what could have been.

CD does have so much on it you can’t help think where it could go. I get the same feeling from the Natural Born Killers or Lost Highway soundtracks. But CD is still more focused than that. It’s like a UNKLE album. 

17 hours ago, wasted said:

Like the oooh in Chi dem is from Fight Song by Manson. It’s really a kaleidoscopic retro 90s album made in the 00s. That retro element is very GNR too. 

Can you give me a time stamp for what you mean when you say "the oooh in Chi Dem"?

The retro 90s album comment is very interesting. I guess another example could be the outro of Prostitute. I've always thought of it as similar to the outro on Locomotive just remixed by Moby.

If I'm understating your point that is.

33 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Can you give me a time stamp for what you mean when you say "the oooh in Chi Dem"?

The retro 90s album comment is very interesting. I guess another example could be the outro of Prostitute. I've always thought of it as similar to the outro on Locomotive just remixed by Moby.

If I'm understating your point that is.

Both. Retro 90s in style like AFD is 70s in style. 

But also like you say a lot of the songs echo old GNR songs. Each one has a older sister. 

Time stamp on  Oooh on Chi dem 1:36-1:39. 

It’s not that obvious, I heard it on a live Boston 1999 vrsion i think. 

Edited by wasted

18 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

"A headphone album" - I like that, it's a perfect description of CD.

So much of the mix is missed and underappreciated without a closer listen. 

Absolutely this. One of the reasons I like Chinese Democracy is that it feels that I still, after 10 years, hear new things when listening to it. I have really started to appreciate the production on CD during the last couple of years.

• Like 3