Duff on Rock & Roll Road Trip with Sammy Hagar

44 minutes ago, ElectricTear said:

During the 90's they played it almost every night.

Sammy said he felt out of place doing it and the lyrics didn't make sense but did it for the fans. I prefer Dave's catalog to Van Hagar but they had good stuff to. I don't know if Van Hagar was as big as Sammy makes them out to be....he says they were the biggest band of that era, and maybe they were. It seems  that whole era was big for a lot of bands. It's funny that Sammy is getting more talk than Duff so far in this thread. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I can understand Dave not doing Finish What Ya Started because he probably couldn't handle it vocally.  But I don't know why Sammy wouldn't do Hot for Teacher, he could easily sing it.   Just curious, did Van Hagar ever do Jump?

They did Jump, ain't talking about love, Panama, and you really got me. I'm pretty sure those were the only Dave era songs they played. Actually they DID do Somebody get me a doctor with Michael Anthony singing it.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Sammy said he felt out of place doing it and the lyrics didn't make sense but did it for the fans. I prefer Dave's catalog to Van Hagar but they had good stuff to. I don't know if Van Hagar was as big as Sammy makes them out to be....he says they were the biggest band of that era, and maybe they were. It seems  that whole era was big for a lot of bands. It's funny that Sammy is getting more talk than Duff so far in this thread. 

Van Hagar was VERY successful in the mainstream sense. Every Sammy album went to number 1 (none of the Dave albums did). Jump was the only #1 hit they ever had though (which is a Dave song obviously). 

So with Sammy they had 4 #1 hit albums in row, millions of albums sold, successful tour after successful tour, etc. So you CAN make a solid case for Van Hagar being the biggest band from 1986-1996. Although I would argue gnr beat them out from 87-93, but Van Hagar DID come back strong with Balance in 95. 

Having said that, they became more of an "adult rock band" with Sammy. They appealed more to moms and dads, not so much teenagers (like they did with Dave). I personally appreciate both eras for that. I honestly relate MORE to the Sammy songs as a 37 year old dad myself. But the Dave stuff rocks harder and is plain more fun. 

As time has passed though, the Dave albums have stood the test of time better. Van Halen 1 and 1984 are their biggest selling albums (by a long shot). I would also say Fair Warning is the most experimental, sleazy, dirty, and brilliant VH album overall. While I would rate Sammy's 5150 pretty high on my VH list, its NOT better than VH1, 1984, or Fair Warning no freaking way. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Van Hagar was VERY successful in the mainstream sense. Every Sammy album went to number 1 (none of the Dave albums did). Jump was the only #1 hit they ever had though (which is a Dave song obviously). 

So with Sammy they had 4 #1 hit albums in row, millions of albums sold, successful tour after successful tour, etc. So you CAN make a solid case for Van Hagar being the biggest band from 1986-1996. Although I would argue gnr beat them out from 87-93, but Van Hagar DID come back strong with Balance in 95. 

Having said that, they became more of an "adult rock band" with Sammy. They appealed more to moms and dads, not so much teenagers (like they did with Dave). I personally appreciate both eras for that. I honestly relate MORE to the Sammy songs as a 37 year old dad myself. But the Dave stuff rocks harder and is plain more fun. 

As time has passed though, the Dave albums have stood the test of time better. Van Halen 1 and 1984 are their biggest selling albums (by a long shot). I would also say Fair Warning is the most experimental, sleazy, dirty, and brilliant VH album overall. While I would rate Sammy's 5150 pretty high on my VH list, its NOT better than VH1, 1984, or Fair Warning no freaking way. 

Both eras kicked ass.   Diamond Dave was a top 5 frontman of his time and the Sammy era was equally epic.  People blame him for the synthesizer etc...change in VH but that was all brought on by Ed.   Had zero to do with Sammy.  None the less kick ass band all around.  Good kick ass rock n roll times.  Too bad the brothers are “2 miserable millionaires” these days as Sam and Mikey say.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Original said:

Both eras kicked ass.   Diamond Dave was a top 5 frontman of his time and the Sammy era was equally epic.  People blame him for the synthesizer etc...change in VH but that was all brought on by Ed.   Had zero to do with Sammy.  None the less kick ass band all around.  Good kick ass rock n roll times.  Too bad the brothers are “2 miserable millionaires” these days as Sam and Mikey say.  

I think Sammy and Mike are overstating that the VH brothers are miserable.  They have totally different personalities than Sammy or Mike.  It's similar to Gene Simmons ragging on Ace Frehley.

28 minutes ago, Original said:

I wouldn't say the brothers are "2 miserable millionaires." Quite the opposite, they both seem pretty happy, healthy, and content. Its THEIR life, they can live it however they want to. To quote Axl "they don't owe us anything." When it comes to VH, it's really pretty true imo. It's not like they are sitting on a small catalogue of music, they released 12 studio albums and 2 live albums. That's pretty solid output. They gave the fans a reunion with Dave and even with Sammy (back in 2004, although that tour is NOT a highlight). If Eddie wants to coast into retirement, I tip my hat to him. 

The thing is, he really hasn't. He is still quite active within the guitar community, he's just not on stage, he's building equipment. Which, if your a fan of his, you should know that's something he ALWAYS liked doing. So he is doing more of THAT now, as opposed to recording and touring. But it's not like he is just sitting around doing nothing, hes doing amps and guitars. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for a full on VH allstar show. Get Wolfie to open the show, followed by Sammy's band, then do a 2 1/2 hour TRUE VH greatest hits show with Sammy and Dave sharing the stage. I'd rather have that than a new album honestly. 

Bit itll never happen. The rumor is Sammy kinda screwed the VH brothers over in regards to his Cabo bar/ tequila. Originally it was a "whole band" kinda thing. But somehow Sammy took ownership of the whole thing, and sold the tequila off for MILLIONS of dollars. The brothers felt screwed over about it. Maybe Sammy DID screw them over. Maybe not. But that's how they feel (from what I've heard). That's WHY they won't get back together with him, it doesn't have anything to do with music. 

Let me also add, that just because we hear Sammy and Mike talk about their side of things, doesn't mean THATS the truth. The VH brothers don't talk to the media, and as a result their side isn't well known. I'm not saying they are right either. As with everything the truth lies in the middle. Sammy probably DID screw them over, but the rest of what he says is probably true. He just leaves out the part that makes him look bad. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

13 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I think Sammy and Mike are overstating that the VH brothers are miserable.

There was certainly a time that EVH was miserable.  His divorce from Val and the meth situation almost finished him in the early 2000's.  He looked like a crack head meth addict on the "reunion" tour with Sammy in 2004.

He seems to have done better in more recent years.  But the VH bros sure do know how to hold a grudge.  Like trying to remove Mike's image from VH first record.  Low blow man.....and saying Mike can't play bass.  He might not be the greatest bass player ever, but damn he does know how to play.  And his vocals were a huge part of VH.

I saw them with Sammy in the early 90's and it was a great show.  I saw them in 2004 and it looked like an EVH train wreck.  Saw them in like '07 or something with DLR back and that was an awesome show.

Edited by BadApples87

10 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

There was certainly a time that EVH was miserable.  His divorce from Val and the meth situation almost finished him in the early 2000's.  He looked like a crack head meth addict on the "reunion" tour with Sammy in 2004.

He seems to have done better in more recent years.  But the VH bros sure do know how to hold a grudge.  Like trying to remove Mike's image from VH first record.  Low blow man.....and saying Mike can't play bass.  He might not be the greatest bass player ever, but damn he does know how to play.  And his vocals were a huge part of VH.

I saw them with Sammy in the early 90's and it was a great show.  I saw them in 2004 and it looked like an EVH train wreck.  Saw them in like '07 or something with DLR back and that was an awesome show.

Yeah, Eddie was definitely a mess in 2004 but he totally turned it around.  And that whole "Mike can't play bass" was totally off base.  Didn't Eddie say he had to teach Mike bass parts or something?

26 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah, Eddie was definitely a mess in 2004 but he totally turned it around.  And that whole "Mike can't play bass" was totally off base.  Didn't Eddie say he had to teach Mike bass parts or something?

Yup, he basically tried to discount everything about Mikey.  Said he can't play bass, said EVH vocals were mixed with Mike's so it wasn't so important.  So messed up.  Alot of VH fans really dig Mikey and it wasn't cool.

Edited by BadApples87
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 10:51 AM, BadApples87 said:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/roths-van-halen-sales-trounce-sammy-hagars-hold-on-there-dave

The ages old battle of Dave vs. Sammy.  I say you CAN like them both.  DLR is a slightly better frontman for VH in my opinion.  However, when it comes to other projects, Sammy wins hands-down with his solo work, Montrose, Chickenfoot, the Circle etc.  Again, DLR is the more iconic frontman for VH, but Sammy is better overall. 

I was a big fan of both versions of Van Halen. Same goes for AC/DC.

But I'm more of a fan of the David Lee Roth and Bon Scott versions respectively because that's what I first started listening to as a young kid. Highway to Hell and Van Halen's self-titled album were among my earliest hard rock roots.

That said, I can fully admit that Sammy Hagar could always sing circles around Roth. Sammy was always capable of doing things, vocally, that Dave never could. And unlike DLR today, Sammy can still carry tune.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

I disagree with outside of VH Sammy is the clear winner train of thought as well. While I admit that overall Sammy's pre and post VH work is greater than Roths, I would argue Roths best was better than Sammy's. It's a matter of opinion obviously, but for me personally, I enjoy Roths Crazy from the Heat and his two Eat em Smile band albums MORE than anything Sammy did outside of VH. I feel like Roth had a pretty GREAT 3 album run in his post VH start, after that it went down hill pretty fast. I would also argue that the Eat em Smile band was and still is a better and more talented band than ANYTHING Sammy put together pre or post VH (and that includes Chickenfoot). Which on a side note, I prefer Vai over Satriani as guitar players, but both are great of course. 

7 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I disagree with outside of VH Sammy is the clear winner train of thought as well. While I admit that overall Sammy's pre and post VH work is greater than Roths, I would argue Roths best was better than Sammy's. It's a matter of opinion obviously, but for me personally, I enjoy Roths Crazy from the Heat and his two Eat em Smile band albums MORE than anything Sammy did outside of VH. I feel like Roth had a pretty GREAT 3 album run in his post VH start, after that it went down hill pretty fast. I would also argue that the Eat em Smile band was and still is a better and more talented band than ANYTHING Sammy put together pre or post VH (and that includes Chickenfoot). Which on a side note, I prefer Vai over Satriani as guitar players, but both are great of course. 

It's very cool that Satriani used to give guitar lessons to a young Steve Vai.