Diamond David Lee Roth

DirtyDeeds

Of course he's the best frontman ever. Even Busweiser knows that, but is scared to admit it. Let's leave Van Halen out of this and focus on his solo work.

Dave is awesome, no matter who he works with. I can't get enough of "DLR Band."

224.jpg

It sounds a lot like early VH (as close to it as one can get without it actually being early VH... it was made right after he was kicked out of Van Halen the second time, and might have been a rebellion album, or an album to show the fans what might have been), but it is different, too. Great album that nobody seems to have. It's right up there.

Of course there is Eat 'Em and Smile with its biggest hits being Yankee Rose and Goin' Crazy. Awesome songs, awesome videos, and I really dig Shyboy on there, too. I like the whole thing, really.

I'm also really into A Little Ain't Enough, although for some VH fans it might take a little getting used to because it's not like VH at all. The title track is great, though my favorite on the album is easily "Sensible Shoes." What a song, very.... AWESOME!

Of course there's also always California Girls... excellent version. What a great song, whether it's the Beach Boys or Dave (actually, a Beach Boy or two sings on Dave's version). One of the best pop songs ever.

And the ever awesome pop rock anthem, "Just Like Paradise." I never get tired of it. I'm a sucker for 80's pop rock, and I'm proud!

Anybody else love The Diamond One in his Van Halenless adventures?

Of course he's the best frontman ever.

Not by a long shot.

I think you're very mistaken. His attitude, the stuff he thinks up on the fly, his charisma, his stage moves, his ego (yes, in this case that's a good thing)... there isn't a thing he does wrong, and he has incredible presence without even trying, as well. The ladies swoon and the guys think he kicks ass. He's perfect. There will never another frontman as good as him. Ever. The closest there is is Mick Jagger, who has a similar flamboyant style (though totally his own), but he comes up short in several areas where Dave excels.

Great with Vai Sheehan and Bisonette. Nothing without them.

I'll agree to disagree on this one. Though I dig those songs and listen to them frequently, I don't think these musicians were the best for Dave's band. Vai, especially, contributed too much to a sound that had nothing raw about it at all (I know that's what Dave was looking for, but while I've always enjoyed Vai's playing, I've never liked his tone). This is especially the case on "Skyscraper."

My favorite Dave solo albums are "DLR Band" and "A Little Ain't Enough" because they have that snarl and some of the tone back that I thought was missing in the two Vai albums.

Great icon for all Dick Loving Rockers

Yes, liking someone that is widely recognized as one of the greatest frontmen ever is gay.

Liking someone who has consistently played with some of the best musicians rock has produced is gay.

Liking someone who has never written a ballad is gay.

And it's especially gay that he's slept with more women than every straight male and lesbian female on this forum combined.

i really love "Eat 'Em And Smile". i even have the spanish version!!! aside from that, i think the songwriting was real weak on future albums. some songs like "Just Like Paradise" would pop up every now and then, but overall he never got back to that level. i do like "Slam Dunk", though.

Yes, liking someone that is widely recognized as one of the greatest frontmen ever is gay.

Liking someone who has consistently played with some of the best musicians rock has produced is gay.

Liking someone who has never written a ballad is gay.

And it's especially gay that he's slept with more women than every straight male and lesbian female on this forum combined.

rock3 Well said! I love Diamond Dave and he is very entertaining w/a sexy bod too.

Great with Vai Sheehan and Bisonette. Nothing without them.

I'll agree to disagree on this one. Though I dig those songs and listen to them frequently, I don't think these musicians were the best for Dave's band. Vai, especially, contributed too much to a sound that had nothing raw about it at all (I know that's what Dave was looking for, but while I've always enjoyed Vai's playing, I've never liked his tone). This is especially the case on "Skyscraper."

My favorite Dave solo albums are "DLR Band" and "A Little Ain't Enough" because they have that snarl and some of the tone back that I thought was missing in the two Vai albums.

We all have gripes with Vai's tone. But that doesn't take away from the fact that him with Sheehan and Bisonette were such and insane live and studio band. With them, Dave was on par with Van Halen still. And songs like Shy Boy show that group at it's absolute best, which is better than the best of any other incarnation of Dave's band.

There's a reason he stopped mattering after those 3 left him.

Of course he's the best frontman ever. Even Busweiser knows that, but is scared to admit it. Let's leave Van Halen out of this and focus on his solo work.

I rarely do it here - But I laughed out loud. :rofl-lol:

But seriously - I think it's the baton twirling that does it for me. Without that, he's just mediocre.

These quotes should be enough to convert anyone to DLR-ism.

* Inspiration doesn’t come from nowhere. You don’t lay in a dark black room and suddenly a burst of light and the hand of the lord comes out and says “here, have a song”

* I'm a family-oriented guy. I've personally started four or five this year already.

* Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.

* I used to jog, but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

* After all these years of bright lights, I still don't need glasses--I drink straight from the bottle.

* The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza.

* I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!

* Hey, hey! Don't squirt water at me pal! I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend! [On stage - Us Festival 1983]

* I used to have a drug problem, but now I make enough money so that it's not a problem anymore.

* If you put a Van Halen album in your record collection it will melt all the rest of your records. [MTV interview quote ~1981]

* I don't get all the women that I want--I get all the women that want me.

* Young musicians are always coming up to me and asking 'how do you know when you've made it?' When you can spell 'subpoena' without thinking about it, that's when you know you've made it.

* It's not who wants to sleep with you; it's who wants to sleep with you again.

* Some people say that life is a cesspool of darkness and despair. Well, we in Van Halen are sailing through it on a yacht.

* I think people want balance more than ever. You know, feed an Ethiopian, plant the rain forest, save the ozone layer--you gotta have that, "oh woe is me," as a form of self-dramatization; it's always fun. It shouldn't be replaced, but there should be a balance. Sooner or later, it's Miller time! Sooner or later, there is some hallelujah, watusi-tailgate, light-up-the-goddamn-sky-it's-finally-the-weekend! And I don't care whether you wear a cowboy hat or your hair is purple, I don't care if you have a wedding ring or a clit ring, sooner or later, there's Miller time! That doesn't mean simple belly laughs, and it doesn't mean high-brow. It just means, 'wanna go have a drink?'

* DLR Band means Dave, Lowery, and Ray. I named it that because it sounds more like a band than David Lee Roth, which just sounds like a person. When you hear David Lee Roth - you think of a person. When you hear DLR Band - you think of a band. Just like when you hear Eddie Van Halen you think of a person, and when you hear Van Halen - you think of David Lee Roth!

* Between my Huck Finn existence running barefoot thru the great outdoors and having the best seat in the house for arguably the most important decade in the history of pop music, I had a formidable education.

* I simply have to be creative all the time. I have to create new things. I never have writers block. You wanna figure out something to shoot? This is not an issue. You want some lyrics? This is not a problem. All of the ideas are constant. If nothing else, I am aware of what's going on around me. I always feel like I'm missing something unless I stay completely applied.

* ...Art is struggle. I love the struggle more than ever before. It's about dangerous waves of consequence. If there's no conflict I seem to create it, doc. Once something is stabilized, go bigger. We aren't innocents but we are abroad.

* A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room.

* People come out of our concerts and feel invincible. They feel like a building could fall on them, nothing would happen. They feel like a car could hit them, nothing would happen. Frequently cars do hit them.

* When I die, sprinkle my ashes over the 80's.

* To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. [About a possible Van Halen reunion]

* "Hey, your girlfriend was partying with us backstage before the show, and she had a message for ya: 'mmfp mmf umf fmff mmm.'"

* I support same-sex marriages as long as both chicks are hot!

* Call me retro, I'm still hetero!

* ProTools is not an instrument!

* We call our selves the Fabulous Picasso brothers because Picasso represents fine art... and brothers..makes it sound like pizz

* Inspiration doesn’t come from nowhere. You don’t lay in a dark black room and suddenly a burst of light and the hand of the lord comes out and says “here, have a song”

* I'm a family-oriented guy. I've personally started four or five this year already.

* Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.

* After all these years of bright lights, I still don't need glasses--I drink straight from the bottle.

* The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza.

* Hey, hey! Don't squirt water at me pal! I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend! [On stage - Us Festival 1983]

* I used to have a drug problem, but now I make enough money so that it's not a problem anymore.

* If you put a Van Halen album in your record collection it will melt all the rest of your records. [MTV interview quote ~1981]

* Young musicians are always coming up to me and asking 'how do you know when you've made it?' When you can spell 'subpoena' without thinking about it, that's when you know you've made it.

* Some people say that life is a cesspool of darkness and despair. Well, we in Van Halen are sailing through it on a yacht.

* I think people want balance more than ever. You know, feed an Ethiopian, plant the rain forest, save the ozone layer--you gotta have that, "oh woe is me," as a form of self-dramatization; it's always fun. It shouldn't be replaced, but there should be a balance. Sooner or later, it's Miller time! Sooner or later, there is some hallelujah, watusi-tailgate, light-up-the-goddamn-sky-it's-finally-the-weekend! And I don't care whether you wear a cowboy hat or your hair is purple, I don't care if you have a wedding ring or a clit ring, sooner or later, there's Miller time! That doesn't mean simple belly laughs, and it doesn't mean high-brow. It just means, 'wanna go have a drink?'

* DLR Band means Dave, Lowery, and Ray. I named it that because it sounds more like a band than David Lee Roth, which just sounds like a person. When you hear David Lee Roth - you think of a person. When you hear DLR Band - you think of a band. Just like when you hear Eddie Van Halen you think of a person, and when you hear Van Halen - you think of David Lee Roth!

* Between my Huck Finn existence running barefoot thru the great outdoors and having the best seat in the house for arguably the most important decade in the history of pop music, I had a formidable education.

* I simply have to be creative all the time. I have to create new things. I never have writers block. You wanna figure out something to shoot? This is not an issue. You want some lyrics? This is not a problem. All of the ideas are constant. If nothing else, I am aware of what's going on around me. I always feel like I'm missing something unless I stay completely applied.

* ...Art is struggle. I love the struggle more than ever before. It's about dangerous waves of consequence. If there's no conflict I seem to create it, doc. Once something is stabilized, go bigger. We aren't innocents but we are abroad.

* A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room.

* People come out of our concerts and feel invincible. They feel like a building could fall on them, nothing would happen. They feel like a car could hit them, nothing would happen. Frequently cars do hit them.

* To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. [About a possible Van Halen reunion]

* "Hey, your girlfriend was partying with us backstage before the show, and she had a message for ya: 'mmfp mmf umf fmff mmm.'"

* We call our selves the Fabulous Picasso brothers because Picasso represents fine art... and brothers..makes it sound like pizz

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: okay you win

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: Good Ole Dave, he rocks!!!

I wish Axl had Diamond Dave counseling him instead of that lughead Bach.

Yeah, imagine that! Then we'd have a Van Halen reunion AND a Guns n' Roses reunion :o Oh my gosh, that's almost too much to handle!

IMAGINE THEM CO-HEADLINING THE SAME TOUR!!!!! *wets pants*

I think you're confusing David Lee Roth with Freddie Mercury, who was definitely a dick loving rocker, FYI.

How could I confuse a rock legend with immeasurable talent and a consistant song writing ability that concreted himself into history forever with some washed up 80's douche who will forever live in the Shadow of Eddie Van Halen? :unsure: