Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

nmgl7t.jpg

Comments on the Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord

What is that book about?

It's about the world in which we live in.

You can read it here : http://www.notbored.org/commentaires.html

There's also a film directed by Debord based on another book called The Society of the Spectacle:

Debord considered his film as important as Citizen Kane.

Edited by axlfan88

The book I'm currently reading:

1599215179.jpg

Just picked it up the other day and I'm almost finished. It's a real easy read. Michael Smerconish is a conservaitve talk radio host here in Philly and he is now nationally known for endorsing Barack Obama during the later part of the presidential election. He's a very articulate and logical man and has no qualms about the fact that he is a suburbanite. Highly recommended if you want to step into the mind of a reasonable moderate conservative.

Since you're obviously confused about what a "Conservative" is...Go read Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin.

It's been the #1 book in the nation for the 4 weeks it's been out.

1599215179.jpg

Just picked it up the other day and I'm almost finished. It's a real easy read. Michael Smerconish is a conservaitve talk radio host here in Philly and he is now nationally known for endorsing Barack Obama during the later part of the presidential election. He's a very articulate and logical man and has no qualms about the fact that he is a suburbanite. Highly recommended if you want to step into the mind of a reasonable moderate conservative.

Since you're obviously confused about what a "Conservative" is...Go read Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin.

I can't fucking stand him. And please don't give me that "confused about conservatism" bullshit.

And, for the record, I considered picking up that book - But I fear that I wouldn't be able to read it without hearing that godawful voice of his in my head.

Plus, I've read too many of those conservative manifesto type books. They're all the same just a different style of writing. And knowing Levin, I'm sure I could just guess what would be on each page.

1599215179.jpg

I can't fucking stand him. And please don't give me that "confused about conservatism" bullshit.

And, for the record, I considered picking up that book - But I fear that I wouldn't be able to read it without hearing that godawful voice of his in my head.

Plus, I've read too many of those conservative manifesto type books. They're all the same just a different style of writing. And knowing Levin, I'm sure I could just guess what would be on each page.

Like I said, you're confused.

If you can't stand Levin (the substance of what he says), you're probably what I would refer to as a RINO.

1599215179.jpg

If you can't stand Levin (the substance of what he says), you're probably what I would refer to as a RINO.

Um. When did I say I can't stand the substance of what he says? His substance is UNORIGINAL. His demeanor is annoying. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Frankly, I find him rude. I find him intolerant - Not in his ideology, but the way he treats the people he differs with. Why should I respect anyone and what they think if they don't have the decency to at least respect a person who hold opposing views? It's not even that he attacks opposing ideologies, he attacks the PERSON who carries them because they have the views that oppose his. It's childish.

So if my lack of interest to invest my time and money on his redundant work makes me a RINO in your eyes, I suppose I'll live. :rolleyes:

And frankly, your quickness to label me a "RINO" because I don't kiss the ass of the ideologues like Levin and others (Hannity, Limbaugh, to name a few) is exactly what's wrong with my "my" party, IMO.

Edited by Budweiser

1599215179.jpg

Um. When did I say I can't stand the substance of what he says? His substance is UNORIGINAL. His demeanor is annoying. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Frankly, I find him rude. I find him intolerant - Not in his ideology, but the way he treats the people he differs with. Why should I respect anyone and what they think if they don't have the decency to at least respect a person who hold opposing views? It's not even that he attacks opposing ideologies, he attacks the PERSON who carries them because they have the views that oppose his. It's childish.

So if my lack of interest to invest my time and money on his redundant work makes me a RINO in your eyes, I suppose I'll live. :rolleyes:

And frankly, your quickness to label me a "RINO" because I don't kiss the ass of the ideologues like Levin and others (Hannity, Limbaugh, to name a few) is exactly what's wrong with my "my" party, IMO.

Haha, you're a joke. So you don't like these people because they aren't politically correct pussies and actually call out those who they disagree with? Even if you agree with them?

Don't worry though, his book will still be #1 without you, and quite honestly you are the problem with people who claim to be "conservatives."

I assume you're one of those who claim the republican party is "Too Conservative." When if you actually look at it we had a Liberal Moderate as our nominee and the last President wasn't enough of a conservative. You like to have this idea that you're a "reasonable moderate conservative" so you can think of yourself as a nice person. NEWSFLASH: Being wrong isn't reasonable or smart.

Edit: I Think this may help you out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-w2Y3ut_Pk and people like you and David Frum who think being even more "reasonalbe" is what needs to be done.

Edited by Johnny Utah

• 1 month later...

Going on a book buying extravaganza today.

See if I can't extend this book buying session past biographies and military non-fiction. Probably pick up Atlas Shrugged, and whatever else fancies my eye.

I am currently reading through all Harry Potter-books in English. I must say, that I like them much more on the original language, than on Swedish. The one who translated them into Swedish is almost 80 years old, and you can tell that when you read the books.

That is not hard as fuck.

Maybe you can pick up the Twilight series when you're done.

See if I can't extend this book buying session past biographies and military non-fiction. Probably pick up Atlas Shrugged, and whatever else fancies my eye.

I recommend picking up this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Stays-Picture-Ro...s/dp/1893224686

Amazing book. The guy has seemingly done it all.

I recommend picking up this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Stays-Picture-Ro...s/dp/1893224686

Amazing book. The guy has seemingly done it all.

Looks good, I'll pick that up.

My sub-conscious is screaming at me, I know there's a book I've been wanting to pick up.

I still have to read Doyle Bronson's Super System, and a few other books. Oh well. Better than wasting my money on pot.

Got these at the library recently:

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

The latter, is probably my favourite King book. The former, is an excellent read! Good choices in all sir.

The Stand is my favorite, by far.

I don't think I've read Dreamcatcher.

I havnt read it either, might check it out. As fars as my favourite King book id have to go with The Dark Tower series - best books ive ever read.

• 2 weeks later...