Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

My son is living with a english teacher. He keeps handing me books to read that he thinks are right up my alley. The guy who wrote Fear and Loathing (Hunter Thompson) wrote another book about 'Hells Angels'. He wrote others but I haven't read them yet. Another one he gave me was called 'Naked'. I don't remember the author but it proved good reading on the train.

Good post.

Edited by tryinharder

My son is living with a english teacher. He keeps handing me books to read that he thinks are right up my alley. The guy who wrote Fear and Loathing (Hunter Thompson) wrote another book about 'Hells Angels'. He wrote others but I haven't read them yet. Another one he gave me was called 'Naked'. I don't remember the author but it proved good reading on the train.

Good post.

"The Rum Diary" is my favorite Thompson and I have read a lot of his work. Check it out!!

Pure genius.

He was also one of the first celebrities to speak out about the "official" 9/11 story being BS...then he died.

I am currently reading "The Rise of the Fourth Reich" by Jim Marrs. That's correct, I believe nothing The Establishment tells me to believe :)

Wole Soyinka's Aké and Isara, two semi-autobiographical novelisations, delve into an entirely different culture while still having the advantage of being in a familiar language, and I recommend the two to all you English native speakers. The former in particular is an impossibly bittersweet series of childhood recollections, a bit reminiscent of McCourt's Angela's Ashes - or perhaps even Bukowski's Ham on Rye without the misanthropy, and McCabe's Butcher Boy without the blossoming homicidal tendencies.

Nadine Gordimer's short prose, much like Soyinka's, is equally revealing of a different cultural mindset, as well as underrated by the general public in favour of her playwrighting achievements. The Soft Voice of the Serpent, A Soldier's Embrace and Friday's Footprint are all equally recommended, and offer a deep sweetness and melancholy that occasionally draws comparisons to Toni Morrison's gorgeous, but far too saddening, The Bluest Eye.

Edited by nameless_girl

I want to get my hands on Fight Club, Trainspotting, The Satanic Bible & The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

Anyone read any of these?

Trainspotting is a really good read - don't know about the others

Good post.

This might sound obvious to all those who love that era, but Tom Wolfe's "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" is probably the best book written about crazy drug frenzied adventures.

I want to get my hands on Fight Club, Trainspotting, The Satanic Bible & The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

Anyone read any of these?

Trainspotting is a really good read - don't know about the others

I've heard its all written in quite scottish dialouge, making it rather hard for "non-scottish" readers to interpret? haha

Not that it would matter to me :xmassrudolph:

• 5 weeks later...
In Cold Blood is an example of literature at its finest. One of my best reading experiences ever.

Funnily enough I'd always meant to read it and the other day happened to watch Capote and it reminded me I'd never read it. I've only done around 40 pages or so today but the quality of the writing alone thus far is worth giving it a read. I'm expecting it to leave something of a mark by the end but it's doing well so far.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Last couple of months I've started to listen pretty much to audio-books. Pretty relaxing to fall asleep to, and since I've got dyslexia, it's pretty damn much easier. It's actually not a good thing for me, because reading much is pretty important for me if I shall be able to read and write without problems. I don't (Or it's at least something I tell myself. :lol:) spell wrong when I write very often on here for example, but I really, really strain when I write on here for example. When I write at MSN for example, it's pretty damn different. But well, as I said, I strain myself and doublecheck everything. I hope I don't write the words wrong to often. -_-

Got a little of topic there. :lol:

To write at least something about this topic, last book I read was the Swedish book Otryggare Kan Ingen Vara by Bengt-Åke Cras.

otryggare.omslag.mini.JPG

I really recommend it if someone from Sweden is reading this topic. Very touching and tragic. You can read about it in Swedish here:

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-85977/cras/enstaka.html

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
To write at least something about this topic, last book I read was the Swedish book Otryggare Kan Ingen Vara by Bengt-Åke Cras.

otryggare.omslag.mini.JPG

I really recommend it if someone from Sweden is reading this topic. Very touching and tragic. You can read about it in Swedish here:

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-85977/cras/enstaka.html

I found it as an audio-book to download if anyone is interested. It's in Swedish, just so that you know. ;)

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4442540/Be..._Kan_Ingen_Vara

I really, really recommend it.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

I also recommend this book off our website called Mistaken Identity

http://www.cornerstonechristiansupply.com/...?sku=1416567356

It's about:

Straight from the headlines comes the story of two students, one buried under the wrong name, one in a coma being cared for by the wrong family, and the heart wrenching discovery five weeks later that their identities had been mistakenly reversed of b&w photos.

I warn you it will make you cry

In Cold Blood is an example of literature at its finest. One of my best reading experiences ever.

I read that for a book report back in 11th grade. We were given a long list of book choices. I picked that one and I'm glad that I did. I have always meant to watch the movie as well but haven't got around to it.