Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

I am currently reading Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Its one of those books which are not plot driven, but fully character driven. The title character Alexis Zorba with his free-spirited, often primitive & primeval nature is a stark contrast to the cerebral nature of the narrator. So far it has been a pleasent read. Kanzantzakis does a great portrayal of the Cretan environment.

I recently finished reading 3 books -

A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - which has to be one of the FUNNIEST novels ever written. Its simple bizzare & brilliant.

The Curious Incident of a dog at the night time - a brilliant tail about a menatlly impaired child, from his POV. The narrative is very apt & very believable.

Amulet of Samarkand - Just a light read the 1st part of Bartimaues trilogy. The title character was brilliant, but the ending was too He-Man-isque.

umm im reading twilight after a year or so or my sister and friends tellign me to read it. easy read, boring though imo.

i am also readin Hamlet. amazing imo

I'l be reading Hamlet at some point in the next couple weeks, looking forward to it, it's one of the seminal works of English Literature, so time to see what all the hype's about.

With Shakespeare I tend to like the comedies more though, a plot where not everyone dies horribly. I absolutely adore Much Ado About Nothing. I can't wait for next year when I drop English Literature and can stop analysing the shit out of books, can get back to reading for pleasure.

Guns and roses can do huge arena tour in uk...second guns is still bigger than metallica in uk...and lastly chinese democracy has sold more than death magnetıc ın uk...
We're reading Animal Farm in school. I don't like it.

Why not ? It's a great book.

Stalin is dead but this book can still be useful...

yeah its a great book, love the ending

yeah its a great book, love the ending

I actually hate the very last sentence or two. I get the point and it's the perfect (and only) ending it just sounds so contrived and forced - kind of beats you around the head in case you hadn't understood the rest of the book.

AND THEN THE PIGS AND THE MENS LOOKED THE SAME! GEDDIT NOW?

Animal Farm is a brilliant book, simply written, the message is chilling.

I didn't find the message particularly chilling, in that the subject matter from the off is fairly straight-forward and predictable (not necessarily a bad thing). But then I suppose very few people read Animal Farm with a completely clean slate and no prior knowledge of the gist of it so that weakens the possibilities of it being 'chilling' in that respect.

I think it's real strengths lie in that it manages to succinctly and clearly put across some fairly complex points that do make you stop to think often- all the while making you empathise in a real way with different characters etc before even taking into account the deeper meaning - whilst managing to be entertaining and wonderfully written, which is no mean feat.

As a piece of work I admire it hugely. The last line still angers me though!

I actually have three copies of Animal Farm (I've no idea why) yet have never read 1984. I really should.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually have three copies of Animal Farm (I've no idea why) yet have never read 1984. I really should.

read 1984, it's a great book though there might be some boring parts here and there.

has anyone read pride and prejudice? im supposed to be reading that this summer for AP Literature class

The book I'm currently reading:

1599215179.jpg

Just picked it up the other day and I'm almost finished. It's a real easy read. Michael Smerconish is a conservaitve talk radio host here in Philly and he is now nationally known for endorsing Barack Obama during the later part of the presidential election. He's a very articulate and logical man and has no qualms about the fact that he is a suburbanite. Highly recommended if you want to step into the mind of a reasonable moderate conservative.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I am currently reading through all Harry Potter-books in English. I must say, that I like them much more on the original language, than on Swedish. The one who translated them into Swedish is almost 80 years old, and you can tell that when you read the books.