Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

Miguel Delibes died Friday. He was known for his gritty depictions of rural life in post-civil war Spain. He was one of those authors who would have deserved the Nobel.

Published in 1981, Los santos inocentes ("The innocent saints") illustrates the impoverished existence of peasants living under a selfish and wealthy landowner.

raouxl.jpg

Just finished a Richey Edwards biography. It was written decently enough but contained nothing I did not already know, although that is as much my fault as it is the authors. Also just finished the Donnie Brasco book which was gripping from start to finish, and am about to re-read Kerouacs Big Sur to get me on a writing kick again.

Can someone reccommend me some titles ? My two favorite books are "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter Thompson.

I would recommend you Belle du seigneur by Albert Cohen. One of the best books I've ever read.

zx74o4.jpg

" This book's range of themes is wild, from the vicious and hilarious pastiche of the petty bureaucracy of international organisations through the hypocrisy of Geneva polite society, the hilarious antics of Solal's Marx Brothers-like uncles, fresh off the boat from Cephalonia, to the tenderest, most earth-shattering moments of love, the bitter self-loathing of a man who percieves the shallowness of his womanising and the shallowness of women's attraction for him, the torture of the outcast and the first flush of european pre-war antisemitism. Solal is Christ the cynic, crucifying himself to find something truly beautiful in which he can believe, taking his beloved own with him to keep that thing alive, and being crucified by two societies to which he does not belong for his quest, for his distain for their values, and for his race. This book is an emotional boxing match from which the reader emerges punch-drunk but strangely transfigured. "

He was one of those authors who would have deserved the Nobel.

Agreed. Cinco horas con Mario (Five hours with Mario) is absolutely recommendable as well. :)

I'll try to read it when I find some time. I read The Heretic, and it was great.

Edited by axlfan88

Nick Kent has published this month his second book after The Dark Stuff. I can't wait to read it.

o3c6d.jpg

Pitched somewhere between "Almost Famous" and "Withnail & I", Apathy for the Devil is a unique document of this most fascinating and troubling of decades - a story of inspiration, success and serious burn out.

As a twenty-something college dropout Nick Kents first five interviews as a young writer were with the MC5, Captain Beefheart, The Grateful Dead, Iggy Pop and Lou Reed. Along with Charles Shaar Murray and Ian MacDonald he would go on to define and establish the NME as the home of serious music writing. And as apprentice to Lester Bangs, boyfriend of Chrissie Hynde, confidant of Iggy Pop, trusted scribe for Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, and early member of the Sex Pistols, he was witness to both the beautiful and the damned of this turbulent decade.

Edited by axlfan88

• 3 years later...

Following his acclaimed history of the Situationist International up until the late sixties, The Beach Beneath the Street, McKenzie Wark returns with a companion volume which puts the late work of the Situationists in a broader and deeper context, charting their contemporary relevance and their deep critique of modernity. Wark builds on their work to map the historical stages of the society of the spectacle, from the diffuse to the integrated to what he calls the disintegrating spectacle. The Spectacle of Disintegration takes the reader through the critique of political aesthetics of former Situationist T.J. Clark, the Fourierist utopia of Raoul Vaneigem, Rene Vienet's earthy situationist cinema, Gianfranco Sangunetti's pranking of the Italian ruling class, Alice-Becker Ho's account of the anonymous language of the Romany, Guy Debord's late films and his surprising work as a game designer. At once an extraordinary counter history of radical praxis and a call to arms in the age of financial crisis and the resurgence of the streets, The Spectacle of Disintegration recalls the hidden journeys taken in the attempt to leave the twentieth century, and plots an exit to the twenty first.

51EYTYZe2PL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Spectacle-Disintegration-Situationist-Twentieth/dp/1844679578/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372918919&sr=8-1&keywords=wark+situationist

My favorite authors are:

Dean Koontz

James Patterson

Lisa Gardner

Tess Gertison

Jeffery Deaver

Jackie Collins

If you like mysteries James Patterson is the man.

I love and have read everything by Dean Koontz. He's my all time favorite author.

I love Michael Connelly too. I read mostly horror and mysteries. I love reading because it takes you to different places and gets your mind off your troubles. It's also very relaxing.

I started reading when I began working in NYC and if anyone knows on the NY subways you don't stare at anyone and if you ride the subways alone you usually read a book. I've read many books throughout my life and I continue to do so today.

I have many favorite authors and usually read whatever books they publish. I have four bookcases full of books that I've read and have to read. I usually keep the books from my favorite authors, so I am running out of room. lol Usually I will donate the books to the library when I'm done with some of them.

• 3 months later...

I just discovered Dwight Macdonald, what a great author!

(He was friend of George Orwell)

MasscultCover.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/books/review/dwight-macdonalds-war-on-mediocrity.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

An uncompromising contrarian, a passionate polemicist, a man of quick wit and wide learning, an anarchist, a pacifist, and a virtuoso of the slashing phrase, Dwight Macdonald was an indefatigable and indomitable critic of Americas susceptibility to well-meaning cultural fakery: all those estimable, eminent, prizewinning works of art that are said to be good and good for you and are not. He dubbed this phenomenon Midcult and he attacked it not only on aesthetic but on political grounds. Midcult rendered people complacent and compliant, secure in their common stupidity but neither happy nor free.

GArner-articleInline.jpg

Dwight Macdonald (illustration by Riccardo Vecchio)

Edited by axlfan88

My favorite authors

Stephen King

Anne Rivers Siddons

Chris Bohjalian

Dennis Lehane

Mark Childress

Joshilyn Jackson

Honorable mentions

Gillian Flynn

Sue Miller

Pam Lewis

Isabelle Allende

Reading is my favorite pastime and I love the feel of a book in my hand. One of the few without a e-reader. Love mystery, thriller, and drama.