Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

I'm currently reading a graphic novel called Maus by Art Spiegelman. Anyone else ever read it? I'm enjoying it so far.

I've read it. I'm teaching it next year too as part of a Holocaust themed tour of central Europe.

Yeah, I was actually thinking it would be a good idea to use that instead of Anne Frank's diary for my students when I'm done studying and have my own class.

I created a page for this obscure book I took to when I was like 12, 13 years old...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/What-Archimedes-Really-Meant-and-80-Other-Key-Ideas-Explained/133947523340675?sk=info
I found the author and sent him a message on facebook and he got back to me with an on going correspondence, liked the page; I gave him full admin rights to the page because he wrote the book.

I even found the conversation I had.

He spoke about this other book he wrote about Shakespeare.

Was awesome because the correspondence had the same wit as the book.

Basically the book's a collections of essays of him explaining great ideas.

Edited by Snake-Pit

I created a page for this obscure book I took to when I was like 12, 13 years old...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/What-Archimedes-Really-Meant-and-80-Other-Key-Ideas-Explained/133947523340675?sk=info

I found the author and sent him a message him on facebook and he got back to with an on going correspondence, liked the page; I gave him full admin rights to the page because he wrote the book.

Was awesome.

Well, now we know what blueprint you base your threads off of.

• Like 1

I only base my fandom of Rene Descartes on this book, as cool of an essay as it was.

So if I reference him and I think therefore I am, it's the book. :lol:

It's not like I read it all or anything. :rolleyes: - Great essay.

Edited by Snake-Pit

I found the author and sent him a message him on facebook and he got back to with an on going correspondence, liked the page; I gave him full admin rights to the page because he wrote the book.

Was awesome.

Well, now we know what blueprint you base your threads off of.

Snake-Pit's mentor. This is like meeting Mr. Miyagi after watching the Karate Kid fight.

• 7 months later...

Currently reading The Silmarillion, for the third time.

just got done with my reread i do every so often, its such a good story with great individual stories within the over arching story.

fingolfin's death always gets me, as well as the events of the darkening of valinor, some truly great stuff

the whole hurin/turin/nienor/morwen story is utterly depressing and would make for a great movie in itself.

just got done with my reread i do every so often, its such a good story with great individual stories within the over arching story.
fingolfin's death always gets me, as well as the events of the darkening of valinor, some truly great stuff

the whole hurin/turin/nienor/morwen story is utterly depressing and would make for a great movie in itself.It's an amazing piece of literature, but it's so hard to read. Even when you already know the story, it's just so dense.

the whole hurin/turin/nienor/morwen story is utterly depressing and would make for a great movie in itself.

It's an amazing piece of literature, but it's so hard to read. Even when you already know the story, it's just so dense.

or you could just listen to the nightfall in middle earth album by blind guardian :P

right now im finishing the second book in the "malazan book of the fallen" series "deadhouse gates"

55401.jpg

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

It's an amazing piece of literature, but it's so hard to read. Even when you already know the story, it's just so dense.

or you could just listen to the nightfall in middle earth album by blind guardian :P

right now im finishing the second book in the "malazan book of the fallen" series "deadhouse gates"

55401.jpg

I have tried to start this series already twice, but I just can't get through the first book. So boring. It's weird, since I like a lot of other fantasy, and mostly not the cookie-cutter type.

55401.jpg

I have tried to start this series already twice, but I just can't get through the first book. So boring. It's weird, since I like a lot of other fantasy, and mostly not the cookie-cutter type.

it took me a couple of tries, the problem with the first book is how it is written and how much shit they throw at you at once without really explaining it. the second book is better written(so far) and a lot easier to get into.