Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

Finished reading this:

dg.jpg

Now reading this:

51dNDN%2BTwqL.jpg

I finished Perlstein's first entry (Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus) on the rise of the conservative right in American politics a few months ago. This is part two, with the third dealing with Reagan. First one was quite good, and the preface of Nixonland sounds promising.

had troubles with internet this morning so I picked Julio Cortazar's Bestiary to kill some time. turns out it is still as fucking amazing as it was 10 years ago. maybe i'll reread Hopscotch or 62 Model Kit in the next couple of days. i always loved Cortazar prose, even though he was a fucking commie

118d1lt.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Will be finishing A Game of Thrones later today, thoughts looking back:

Followed the show fairly closely, not too much was different. A few of the scenes were executed differently in the show, likely for logistical reasons.

Would have been cool to see the show do Ned's dream about the Tower of Joy, but maybe we'll see that in the show if Howland Reed shows up.

The biggest difference may have been that Tyrion actually does fight the entirety of the battle when Robb sends the distraction force to attack Tywin - that would have been cool to see in the show, but I guess in S1 the budget wasn't enough for that scale of action.

Overall I really enjoyed it even though I pretty much knew what was going to happen each chapter. The added detail was very welcomed, I like the history stuff a lot, and the litany of additional minor/semi-major characters like Ser Jaremy Rykker, Alyn, Fat Tom, the Royce's, etc.. And Beric/Thoros are mentioned more.

Looking forward to starting the A Clash of Kings tomorrow. I should finish ADWD in early September if I keep up 50 pages a day, which I have so far.

I noted a few things that I wasn't sure if they were foreshadowing or not, there's one line in a Catelyn chapter that reads something like, "and her heart turned to stone at the thought of it."

Then early on Jon Snow is telling someone about his favorite story hero, and it was Daeron Targaryen - not a Stark or a Selmy/Dayne type.

• Like 1

Will be finishing A Game of Thrones later today, thoughts looking back:

Followed the show fairly closely, not too much was different. A few of the scenes were executed differently in the show, likely for logistical reasons.

Would have been cool to see the show do Ned's dream about the Tower of Joy, but maybe we'll see that in the show if Howland Reed shows up.

The biggest difference may have been that Tyrion actually does fight the entirety of the battle when Robb sends the distraction force to attack Tywin - that would have been cool to see in the show, but I guess in S1 the budget wasn't enough for that scale of action.

Overall I really enjoyed it even though I pretty much knew what was going to happen each chapter. The added detail was very welcomed, I like the history stuff a lot, and the litany of additional minor/semi-major characters like Ser Jaremy Rykker, Alyn, Fat Tom, the Royce's, etc.. And Beric/Thoros are mentioned more.

Looking forward to starting the A Clash of Kings tomorrow. I should finish ADWD in early September if I keep up 50 pages a day, which I have so far.

I noted a few things that I wasn't sure if they were foreshadowing or not, there's one line in a Catelyn chapter that reads something like, "and her heart turned to stone at the thought of it."

Then early on Jon Snow is telling someone about his favorite story hero, and it was Daeron Targaryen - not a Stark or a Selmy/Dayne type.

i think as you go along you will see how close the first couple of seasons the show followed the books, then it started to depart which would make sense if its true that D+D never thought the show would go past the red wedding.