Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

• 1 month later...

A new book about the relationship between Kurt Cobain and William Burroughs has been published recently. The book (Nada es verdad, todo está permitido, in english Nothing is true, everything is permitted) was written in Spanish by Servando Rocha.

Rocha's methods of investigation are similar to Greil Marcus'.

http://www.alphadecay.org/libro/nada-es-verdad-todo-esta-permitido

144.jpg?1389963948

cobain3.jpg

been reading stormlight archive book 1: the way of kings

TheWayOfKings.png

Isn't that supposed to be like a 10 book series? I could never get invested in something like that. Best case scenario they come out one a year. I don't even watch tv shows anymore unless they're finished (except for a few that I've already been following for a few years).

I read the Mistborn series a few months ago. Pretty good stuff.

it is going to be 10 books yes. the thing is though it will be broken up into two 5 book arcs. then brandon is going to write another mistborn book(mistborn is awesome as well) then start the second 5 book arc. the books are huge but you would have plenty of time to catch up before the second "act" starts.

reading stormlight archive book 2: words of radiance. so far about halfway through and it is too good, i love the mistborn series but the stormlight archive is better.

220px-WordsOfRadianceCover.png

words-of-radiance-book.jpg

as a slight edit words of radiance will debut on the march 23rd new yorks best seller list at #1. so congrats to brandon sanderson for his first solo #1(the other #1 books were for his completion of the wheel of time series) so looks like word of mouth paid off.

Edited by bran

• 1 month later...

I just finished Live by Night by Lehane. I could see it being made into a movie.

Bumpedy bump.

Read all three Hunger Games books this week, was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed them.

All 3? It would take me three years to read 1 of them aren't they huge tomes?

Just over 400 pages each but they're a very easy read.

So you read 200 pages a day? I average about 4 a day maybe a chapter a day if I'm lucky.

Well I usually have about an hour spare before work in the morning so I read a bit while having a coffee and this week I would just read after I got home, had dinner and exercised.

Currently on my last book in a revisionist series on Norway's oldest kings based on new archaeological evidence and modern interpretations of the sagas. I am also reading a book about maps (can't remember the name nor author; the book presents 12 historical world maps and discusses how they came about and the period when they were made); and Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall about Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell.

I've read House of Leaves. Well I navigated it. I looked at it from various angles. Jumped from the front to the back.

For most of the book, I skipped over the footnotes. I had no idea that there was another story going on in the footnotes. I had to re-read the whole thing.

All of his books are uniquely written and are a challenge in some ways. None of his books follow the normal formula of a novel.

I've read House of Leaves. Well I navigated it. I looked at it from various angles. Jumped from the front to the back.

For most of the book, I skipped over the footnotes. I had no idea that there was another story going on in the footnotes. I had to re-read the whole thing.

All of his books are uniquely written and are a challenge in some ways. None of his books follow the normal formula of a novel.

I think it's good in someways, kind of read it like a comic book. Just reading bits and turning to laters bits. I can't really remember much about it I think it was almost 10 years ago.

2666 is kind of 5 books but it seems like one. There is a common thread but maybe not obvious.

• 2 months later...

Since starting my new job I have to take a train on a morning so I've made a point of picking up a book rather than wasting my time pissing about on my phone. I'm really enjoying getting back into reading again as it's been a long time since I've bothered.

I'm not bothering with anything too taxing but I do like a decent thriller/horror/crime type story. In the last month or so I've read 4 or 5 of the Jack Reacher books and really enjoyed them. It does make you laugh at how the fuck Tom Cruise ever got cast in that movie however. :lol:

I've also got a few of Elmore Leonard's books from the Library along with a couple of victorian murder mysteries by a guy called Alex Grecian. Again it's really just fluff but it's better than browsing the Daily fuckin' Mail. :lol:

I am reading a book called, Cricket's Strangest Matches. It is a historic account of strange cricket encounters, including a match where both teams were out for nought! Next up I have Botham's autobiography. I also have Matt Prior's autobiography ready to go.

I dumped a book the other week, Chris Patton's book on the Hong Kong handover. It was so fucking boring. I am usually not a person to dump a book, but this book was really tedious.