Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

I've always wanted to read The Dark Tower, but I'm massively intimidated that I'd have to read seven novels to get the full story.

As much as I love King, he can beat around the bush a little too much at times and god knows how much of that would encompass seven novels.

He only starts beating around the bush at the begining of the 5th book. In fact thats when id recomomend that people take a break. The first book is strange because it was published in magazines in the 70s, the first is awesome but its the second one where it really starts to take off. You're doing yourself a grave diservice by not reading these books, especially if you're a King fan.

Can someone recommend me some "must read" books? I need a new book to read but I don't know anything about famous/classic books.

American Psycho.

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Hard to get through, though - tried to read it when I was 13, gave it up after like 50 pages. I really should give it another shot now that I'm older.

Can someone recommend me some "must read" books? I need a new book to read but I don't know anything about famous/classic books.

American Psycho.

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Initially a wonderful book.

But I had to over-analyze it for my World Lit and I cringe at the sound of it now. :no:

I ended up getting The Picture of Dorian Gray a few days back. I read about 140 pages today at work and am loving it, it's really hilarious and it's got some really interesting ideas in it. I'll probably finish it tomorrow then check out one of those books you guys recommended.

...except the books darkstar says.

The Dark Tower is his magnum opus!!!!! It encompasses all his books, the stand, the shining, salems lot, It, practically evrything. The Dark Tower books are also the best ive ever read. It shits me that tons of people read Stephen King and ignore his best work. The Stand is epic and fantastic but its no Dark Tower, buy The Gunlsinger (first dark tower book) if you wana start reading King. Although it might be actually better to read The Stand and Salems lot first as these books have a bit to do with the Tower. Carries is great to. But The Dark Tower is widely regarded by everyone, including Stephen King himself as his magnum opus!!!!!!!! No other book has taken over my life quite like The Dark Tower, everyone i know who reads it goes through the same shit, they start noticing strange shit happening around them. Read The Dark Tower!

+1

Dark Tower is the greatest book/series/story EVER written. Wizard & Glass was my personal favorite. His Bachman books are pretty damn good too. Especially Roadwork and The Long Walk. And don't forget all the short story books like Half Past Midnight,Nightmare & Dreamscapes,Different Seasons,Skeleton Crew,and Everythings Eventual. I could go on all day about how great his work is. King is a God.

The Dark Tower is his magnum opus!!!!! It encompasses all his books, the stand, the shining, salems lot, It, practically evrything. The Dark Tower books are also the best ive ever read. It shits me that tons of people read Stephen King and ignore his best work. The Stand is epic and fantastic but its no Dark Tower, buy The Gunlsinger (first dark tower book) if you wana start reading King. Although it might be actually better to read The Stand and Salems lot first as these books have a bit to do with the Tower. Carries is great to. But The Dark Tower is widely regarded by everyone, including Stephen King himself as his magnum opus!!!!!!!! No other book has taken over my life quite like The Dark Tower, everyone i know who reads it goes through the same shit, they start noticing strange shit happening around them. Read The Dark Tower!

+1

Dark Tower is the greatest book/series/story EVER written. Wizard & Glass was my personal favorite. His Bachman books are pretty damn good too. Especially Roadwork and The Long Walk. And don't forget all the short story books like Half Past Midnight,Nightmare & Dreamscapes,Different Seasons,Skeleton Crew,and Everythings Eventual. I could go on all day about how great his work is. King is a God.

Indeed he is.

Edited by Midnight Rambler

I Love Dollars by Zhu Wen is great book and sort of a Chinese Democracy kind of book. It's actually more like 4 or 5 long short stories which are basically just hilarious. I would liken it to Catcher in the Rye in way the narrator is just so honest that it's funny.

Has anyone read Model Behavior by Jay McInerney? I just finished it yesterday and thought it was excellent. It had my attention was was interesting from start to finish. It's the only book of McInerney's that I've read so far but I will definitely be reading more as soon as I get some free time from all my school work.