AC/DC's exclusive deal with Wal-Mart

Zint

AC/DC is practically begging kids to steal this album.

The closest Wal-Mart to me is 26 miles away!

That’s a $6.50 fuel surcharge on the CD.

But at least I’ve got a car.

Kids without their driver’s licenses are forced to get their music online.

If AC/DC won’t sell it track by track on iTunes, then kids will steal it track by track on Limewire.

Dummies.

Don't be shocked if GN'R make a move like this with the CD albums.

This deal worked out really well for Garth Brooks & The Eagles. So i'm not shocked. I expect more artists to do it, and with the fact that GNR's last original album was released in 1991, I think it's very very likely.

The only problem is that Wal-Mart refuses to carry anything that's deemed 'explicit' which is lame ass. They carry R-rated movies, but not explicit albums. :rolleyes:

this is not good for the last of the few independent record stores---

Good point...rather ironic that I discovered AC/DC in an indy record store back in the 70's...they were cranking Let There Be Rock in the store on the day it came out.

Not only indy stores...but any music chain that's struggling to survive.

A real slap in the face for music retailers who've stocked their back catalogue.

And yeah...shitty news for people who live miles away from a Wal-Mart.

not cool..

The most annoying thing about this is the amount of customers who will go to other stores asking for the album and disbelieve you when you tell them that it's only available at Wal-Mart. This happened with the Eagles album.

- "Do you have the new Eagles album?"

- "No, sorry, it's only available in Wal-Mart."

- "No, I just saw a commercial for it."

- "Yes, but they have an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart."

- "But it was an ad for Circuit City."

- "You can check at Circuit City if you want."

- "No, you should have it. It just came out."

*Sigh*

Edited by Estranged Reality

Don't be shocked if GN'R make a move like this with the CD albums.

This deal worked out really well for Garth Brooks & The Eagles. So i'm not shocked. I expect more artists to do it, and with the fact that GNR's last original album was released in 1991, I think it's very very likely.

The only problem is that Wal-Mart refuses to carry anything that's deemed 'explicit' which is lame ass. They carry R-rated movies, but not explicit albums. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't surprise me if GnR did it, nothing surprises me anymore. I am upset people are brainwashed by Wal Mart. Lower prices, we all love that but lets look at their pro censorship stance:

10 years ago Sheryl Crow had a song on her album that mentioned "a kid killing another kid with a gun he bought at a Wal Mart store".

Wal Mart pulled the album, banned Sheryl Crow. This song wasn't even a single but it pissed off the Wal Mart fucks and they have the power. Here's the real kicker, the story is true. The kid got the gun at Wal Mart.

A few years ago I bought a CD at Wal Fuck, brought it home and it was full of 'bleeps', covering up the 'dirty words'. I took it back.

I've heard stories how Wal Fuck sold the "Titanic" movie when it was a huge deal, they cut out the nude scene. Thanks Wal Fuck!!

That's horrible. I don't care that the nearest Wal-Mart is about 2 miles away, if this is how it's gonna be released, I will download it and I won't feel the least bit guilty about stealing from one of my favorite bands. Anytime I buy CD's, I go to an indy music shop 30+ miles away, and if they don't have it I'll download it.

What the fuck, how is the rest of the world supposed to get it? :fuckyou:

Wal Mart hasn't invaded Europe yet? Oh well, it won't be long before these communist fucks make it over there.

They already have made it to the UK. They bought a company called Asda, one of the biggest retailers in the country.

There are some things I really appreciate Wal-Mart for, but this IS NOT ONE OF THEM!

I hate the censorship, it's crap, I bought the Wolfmother CD there and it has a "covercard" on top of the cover! I just can't stand the prices in these "independent CD shops" I just recently had a Sam Goodys close down in my area, and I'm not surprised, when I went in to get the then new "Libertad"

album, it was $18.99! I paid around 12 at Wallyworld. I recently went around 50 miles to a place called FYE, to find Dokken's new CD, (nobody else had it, see the Lightning Strikes Again thread).

it was on sale for $15.00! Their reg prices are near 20 bucks.That place had 3 or 4 people walking around bothering people "can I help you find something"?....I was like, yea, can you make this stuff affordable? I appreciate them wanting to help me, but these guys seemed like they were more of a nuisance then anything.I know the rent is high in the malls, but are they tacking on more money for music so they can pay all these people who keep annoying me in the shops? I know how to read and I know what alphebetical order is, and I rarely have any problem finding anything. At FYE, they have a heavy metal section AND a various rock section, they make it confusing because the metal section has bands you would think be in the reg rock section and vice versa.Sorry to rant, but I'm just getting sick of these over priced music shops that can't figure out why they and a lot more of them can't make it.Don't get me wrong, I like Wal-Mart's prices, but their censership is unacceptable, and I try not to get music stuff there when I can find it somewhere else. Thank you Amazon!

Obviously, very unfortunate to have to go this route, but reality is that the artists have been so raped by downloading that if they can make some extra $$'s inking an exclusive with Wal-Mart(or any other major company), who can blame them?

Sucks, but yeah, times have changed radically and not for the better in the music industry. Can't begrudge the artists for exploring any and all alternatives for the album releases at this point...

Edited by Turn_It_Up