Slash's Twitter update discussion thread

Wando

Follow up to my earlier post, Cornell has once again twittered regarding the mysterious vocals he recorded, saying that they were for a "rock&roll super hero"

I don't know about anyone else, but the fact that he won't just come out and say who these vocals are for makes me think its Slash due to the hush hush nature of any of the singers on Slash's album. And not everyone is a rock and roll superhero, especially coming from Chris Cornell. Still speculation, but more "evidence" now.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but is Chris Cornell a R n R icon as Slash described the mysterious guest vocal to be?

To me, maybe. But i don't think he is at an iconic status just yet in the general public's eye.

Yes but is Chris Cornell a R n R icon as Slash described the mysterious guest vocal to be?

To me, maybe. But i don't think he is at an iconic status just yet in the general public's eye.

He is a R&R icon and would be more of a surprise than Tyler who's already been mentioned as being on the album several times. So the "Wish I could tell you" would fit Cornell more.

But maybe I'm just getting dilirious after Matt's excellent detective work... ;)

I am really getting excited about this Slash album. These twitter updates really don't tell us anything concrete and are pretty meaningless, but for some reason I like them because at least we know he is working on it and not sitting at home on his ass. It also gives us something concrete to speculate about instead of just throwing things into the wind with no basis in reality. I think he is really going to assemble a top notch list of singers, as this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him and he has built a hell of a rolodex over the years I suspect.

Does anyone knows how many songs are expected on the album? With all the guest names that are floating around, it seems slash will have enough songs to make two albums.

14 songs, I think.

He mentioned he was done with 6 before and had 8 left.

Does anyone knows how many songs are expected on the album? With all the guest names that are floating around, it seems slash will have enough songs to make two albums.

14 songs, I think.

He mentioned he was done with 6 before and had 8 left.

I also get the impression that Slash will have enough material to put out a second album if the first one does well enough.

May 8, 2009 - Friday

weekly update

What's happening all?!

By next Monday we will have 9 songs with vocals recorded. It really is a killer record so far & it sonically sounds amazing. We've recorded everything analog & that makes a huge difference in the most positive way. Eric Valentine is the perfect producer to handle all this spontaneous information & energy I've been throwing at him, he is really a one of a kind technician.

Its hard to explain, but I really needed this creative outlet to do stuff I haven't been at liberty to do in a LONG while. To be honest, I have been having a ridiculously good time working on this project.

And, the singers have all been genuinely awe inspiring & a pleasure to work with. They are the focus of what this record ultimately will sound like, regardless of how good the instruments sound. With their input, every session has had its own unique vibe & character & the songs have developed a personality unique to each individual vocalist, cool stuff.

Unfortunately, this record is not going to come out until next year, but its going to be worth the wait, I promise.

As for the topic of most interest to some of you, American Idol.

The American Idol adventure was quite an experience to say the least. I did my best to change it up by mentoring the singers at the Roxy & I brought some great musicians to play with me, Tommy Clufetos on drums, Keri Kelli on guitar & Chris Chaney on bass. Matt Rohdes, the keyboard player from the AI band also accompanied us & was indispensable in helping us navigate the key changes & edits that were necessary to perform the songs in the keys that the singers chose & in the time frame that fit the shows format etc. And, all in just a couple hours.

Although the show itself was way out of my comfort zone initially, we definitely altered the show's routine, for better or worse. The show staff & crew were super professional & sincerely went out of their way to make everything as painless & expeditious as possible. It wasn't a big spaz attack like on some TV productions.

As important, if not more so, the singers were great to work with as well. Adam (who I was not scouting to sing in VR, btw) was amazing, as was Alison, who was unceremoniously voted off prematurely, in my opinion. Danny & Kris were out of their element this week, but did the best they could under the circumstances. The judges, although unnecessarily harsh at times, were like rockstars themselves & Seacrest is the consumate professional, no matter what. Very interesting dynamics, more so in person than on TV. All in all it was a good time. But, the way I see it, as massive as AI is, it could do with an infusion of Rock & Roll on a regular basis. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about the whole event.

Anyway, I worked in the studio around the show for those 3 days so as not to waste any time on my record & I'm working thru the weekend to get my schedule back to normal starting Monday, so I don't miss a beat.

That's it, have a great weekend & Happy Mother's Day to those of you who have, or are mothers! Talk to you next week.

Iiii||; ),

Slash

Slash is the master of hyping up expectations. I'm a bit sad an suprised that it's not going to come out this year. Seemed like a project in between VR's break. But i guess this makes it a more important and a more carefully put together record. His comment about Adam and VR made me almost sure that he (or someone who works for him) checks the boards on a regular basis.

Slash is the master of hyping up expectations. I'm a bit sad an suprised that it's not going to come out this year. Seemed like a project in between VR's break. But i guess this makes it a more important and a more carefully put together record. His comment about Adam and VR made me almost sure that he (or someone who works for him) checks the boards on a regular basis.

Regarding the Adam comment, most publications (like Rollingstone,etc) were jokingly making that claim as well, so who knows if he reads these boards.

Sucks it's not coming out til next year but I guess he won't be done recording until June and then he's still got mix it and stuff. Seems like he could still get it out this year, but maybe something else has come up that he needs to be involved in after he's done recording. Velvet Revolver singer announcement and recording of new album??

Regarding the Adam comment, most publications (like Rollingstone,etc) were jokingly making that claim as well, so who knows if he reads these boards.

Sucks it's not coming out til next year but I guess he won't be done recording until June and then he's still got mix it and stuff. Seems like he could still get it out this year, but maybe something else has come up that he needs to be involved in after he's done recording. Velvet Revolver singer announcement and recording of new album??

I am really bummed about the solo album. I hope your are right about VR that would make up for the wait on the solo project. But from the recent interviews (by all band members) they do not have the singer yet. Not that I am an expert but even with mixing and assorted other stuff to get the album ready for release the timing just seams off.

Its hard to explain, but I really needed this creative outlet to do stuff I haven't been at liberty to do in a LONG while.

I think this is a direct reference to long, GNR style epic solos that he never was at liberty to do in VR because for whatever reason Scott felt threatened by the idea of Slash being Slash. I am not sure how else one could possibly read into that. I also suspect we will be hearing a much more classic rock sound out of him than VR had.

Anyone else find it shocking that instead of taking over VR totally and demanding they change the sound of the band to entirely what he wants at the moment he decided to do it through the solo route so as to scratch the itch as well as keep his band intact at the same time. :rolleyes:

Its hard to explain, but I really needed this creative outlet to do stuff I haven't been at liberty to do in a LONG while.

I think this is a direct reference to long, GNR style epic solos that he never was at liberty to do in VR because for whatever reason Scott felt threatened by the idea of Slash being Slash. I am not sure how else one could possibly read into that. I also suspect we will be hearing a much more classic rock sound out of him than VR had.

Anyone else find it shocking that instead of taking over VR totally and demanding they change the sound of the band to entirely what he wants at the moment he decided to do it through the solo route so as to scratch the itch as well as keep his band intact at the same time. :rolleyes:

I think his statement speaks for itself. "stuff I haven't been at liberty to do". I do not think Slash is the type that will demand anything. Every thing that has been written about him always states how passive he is. I am surprised he made the statement though. He is being very open with his Twitters and the weekly updates.

Edited by sleeper

I am really bummed about the solo album. I hope your are right about VR that would make up for the wait on the solo project. But from the recent interviews (by all band members) they do not have the singer yet. Not that I am an expert but even with mixing and assorted other stuff to get the album ready for release the timing just seams off.

The only reason I can think of causing the release delay (outside of VR) would maybe next year is the best situation to tour for the solo album. It may be complicated since he has so many famous singers on the album.

Hmmm, a head-scratcher as to why it wouldn't at least be out for the Christmas/holiday season. Best guess, given the type of album this is, is that he's needing to continue working around the schedules of his most important vocalists. For example, maybe Tyler can't do his Slash track until after he finishes up the new Aerosmith record, but Slash needed to go full steam ahead now with those key singers who were available over the past month or so(Ozzy, Cornell, etc).

Assuming he had all these big artists lined up to record for his solo album, doesn't seem plausible he'd suddenly put them and the solo record on hold for VR matters. Would be more likely he'd crank through things to finish up the solo album so he could get to VR.

The fact he wouldn't tell us exactly why there is this delay, but says it will be worth it, must mean he's delaying for one or more of his guest vocalists and doesn't wanna be throwing them under the bus by saying this publicly(think GNR saying the 'Better' vid was being held up by Lars and the firestorm that created).

Can't think of any other reason and it's gotta be incredibly challenging getting 14 big name singers all scheduled anywhere near around the same time...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I really hope the delay in the record is because of Velvet Revolver. I don't see why it can't come out in late summer. 9 songs by Monday? He's only been in the studio a month or two. He'd finish by June...mixing should take a month max...

I really hope the delay in the record is because of Velvet Revolver. I don't see why it can't come out in late summer. 9 songs by Monday? He's only been in the studio a month or two. He'd finish by June...mixing should take a month max...

The VR thing just doesn't seem likely. He's too passionate about this first solo album and delaying for VR doesn't jibe with him saying the wait will be worth it. Plus, Duff still has Loaded stuff going on.

VR has been in flux for a good while now, so that could wait a short while longer. No way he halts things if he has his 5 other guest singers all lined up in May and ready to go. He'd look like a selfish prick and would be too hard to try and reschedule everyone.

Today's announcement makes it sound like an unexpected delay he wanted to give us a heads up on, so gotta be a scheduling conflict with 1 or 2 singers that arose. Hopefully, this break with the solo album can be used to get their shit together with VR....

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Well I hope they start getting VR's shit together. It would really suck if VR was on hold till 2011 or something. In fact, I'm hoping that VR is full steam ahead in the 2nd half of this year, and the solo album is more something he doesn't tour on. Best case scenario is to have them do VR shows, but during the VR set or just before Slash can crank out one or two songs off the solo album along with whatever vocalists he can get to come out that night. I mean, with fourteen different vocalists how do you even tour this album? Well, I suppose you could have someone (like Dover) do the vocals for maybe ten of the songs, and also do some Snakepit and VR songs too. But there's just no way to drag all these singers around to a bunch of shows over the course of a few months so that they can do one song per night while they put their regular bands on the back burner.

I admit I didn't really think about this comment, I passed over it and simply took it to mean that Slash can work with vocalists like Fergie and others like her that fall out of his particular comfort zone. Slash's solos in VR aren't all 10 seconds like some people make out (eg. Can't Get it Out of My Head). And GN'R solos aren't all 1 or 2 minutes long. But you could be right...he could be referring to VR and the more modern sound, and now he's going to focus on a more classic rock feel where the solo tends to take center stage. After all, this is a Slash album. He should go to town. He should be the primary focus, despite the big name vocalists he is working with.

I'm hoping we get one or two acoustic songs, a la Lies.

Edited by KBear

The only reason I can think of causing the release delay (outside of VR) would maybe next year is the best situation to tour for the solo album. It may be complicated since he has so many famous singers on the album.

I agree about Slash touring with this album to get them together would very hard to do and Slash never really said anything about touring for this album. Slash the past couple of months has been going full force on this album. And posted awhile back it would be complete in June. He says "unfortunetly it will not be out until 2010" I think this was a new development for him also. Something has diffently changed even since the myspace update of a week ago. The whole tone of that post was different. If you look at his and Duff's timelines-Slash has the concert in Europe the first week of July. After that he has not posted anything else. Duff is touring LOADED through the end of June and has indicated that LOADED will go back out in September or October. He is also climbing some hill (ha ha) in July. Both Slash and Duff have said if they get a VR singer everything else would go on the back bunner. So who knows. I do not like saying this but I feel if they do not move forward with VR soon they might is well forget it. I do not think their fans will forget them but the singer search is already becoming a sore subject.