Slash's Twitter update discussion thread

Wando

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash Myspace Update 4/30

Hey all, as you may or may not know, the producers for American Idol have asked me to be the mentor for "Rock Week" next week. I was reluctant at 1st, but they offered me the freedom to do it however I wanted.

More importantly, there are a few singers this year who are really impressive. Its the 1st time any AI line-up has really caught my attention.

The approach I'm taking is different than usual on the show, & I'm going to make this as Rock & Roll an American Idol as possible, wish me luck!

Outside of that, things are going great in the studio, we are officially past the 1/2 way point, with some really cool collaborations coming up in the days & weeks ahead.

That's really all that's going on that's fit to write about, I'm mostly working, but I'm having a great time.

See you next week, cheers!

Slash

The contestants from AI picked some really cool songs for next week, thank god!

He also said it should be interesting next week.

Contestants picked cool songs + should be interesting= Someone is singing GNR.

Those AI kids can sing their asses off, especially Adam. #fb

Always thought if they couldn't land a primo big name like Tyler, which is beyond doubtful, might be best if they came up with a complete unknown and something totally fresh. Can't be someone with generic sound vocals, has to be a standout type voice. And Adam is a great example where, despite the dearth of great rock frontmen, there's gotta be a killer voice out there they could find to plug in, sound great on record and bring along with the live shows which are gonna kick ass no matter what with the rest of that band around him.

They need to find someone who can sign their fuckin' ass off and make a statement like he's saying about Lambert. Maybe this will widen the scope of their search at a time they seem to need it.

Also, given the track record, think chemistry-wise it might be best if they get an unknown who's more apt to taking direction and doesn't bring the ego and baggage they could get elsewhere...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Adam is a good singer, but he ain't "rock" material. Slash better not be getting any ideas.

Well he can for sure hit some of those "metal" type notes, but don't worry he'll atleast make the Top 2 and will have a solo contract.

No way he's joining any band.

Edited by Johnny Utah

Adam is a good singer, but he ain't "rock" material. Slash better not be getting any ideas.

Well he can for sure hit some of those "metal" type notes, but don't worry he'll atleast make the Top 2 and will have a solo contract.

Yeah, you're totally right, it's not gonna be Lambert. He'll be signed immediately no matter what else happen on AI and do his own thing.

Don't mean to oversimplify as hopefully the next singer they go with brings the full package, including writing. But they can get help in that dept, maybe even from the Izz man.

More than anything, just like they've said, they need to find a singer that's gonna blow them away. As much as this wait sucks, there's zero reason to re-launch this band with anything less. Obviously, this next record is make or break for VR and there's too much pride and ego to choose out of desperation and needlessly strike out. If they can't find the right guy soon, better to wait as long as it takes even if it means ultimately starting up under a new band name or even dissolving.

But the voice is out there. They just gotta find it...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

You are probably right, but the biggest rock vocalists out there tend to be in a band. I'm not saying Adam is joining VR as it's not really a fit, but if there was a band out there with some famous (or even not) members who wanted him I think it would be smart to do it. It would give him the chance to be part of something bigger than just him, to get the support to write some good music and hopefully create a legacy; rather than just be some solo artist that has pop songs written for him.

The guy can sing, not just in range but he knows how to sing a song, and he's been impressive all season long and he's obviously impressed Slash as well. I'd love to know what song he chose. I'm hoping it's not WTTJ or NR or SCOM, those aren't very imaginative choices. Though I'm sure if he picked one of those he'd do a good job. I think Allison is going to be impressive this week as well, she's got a voice that suits rock music.

Since they only have four performances to fill one hour on Tuesday, hopefully they will let Slash solo on each song. He's not like most mentors who have also been singers, you couldn't have those guys up on stage while the contestants were singing. But since he's a guitarist he can be up there performing with each contestant.

Are you serious? I haven't heard ANYONE with such a rock n roll sound and vibe like Lambert has this day in age! His "Black or White" performance and his rendition of "Born to be Wild" are perfect examples of his insane vocals and frontman qualities.

IMO.. I hope Slash is getting ideas, I don't want VR to die.

& I think it'd be best if he were to join a band, I mean look at Freddy Mercury- if he was never in Queen.. would we of had all those hits?

Do not go on Amercian Idol!!!!!!

I could see why you would say that, but he's got a solo album coming and he'd be on TV in front of 20 Million plus people so I could see why he'd do it.

I thought you don't like the notion of him alienating half of his fan base?

Promoting yourself in front of over 20 million people is the exact opposite of that smart guy.

I'd say 97% of your fanbase would like to see you do well and be on the biggest show on television doing your thing. Hence them being fans.

Would that be the same 97% that doesn't have a problem with him discussing his approval of Obama?

I could see why you would say that, but he's got a solo album coming and he'd be on TV in front of 20 Million plus people so I could see why he'd do it.

Promoting yourself in front of over 20 million people is the exact opposite of that smart guy.

I'd say 97% of your fanbase would like to see you do well and be on the biggest show on television doing your thing. Hence them being fans.

Would that be the same 97% that doesn't have a problem with him discussing his approval of Obama?

Why do you even come in here? Go back to the rap is toxic thread.

Why do you even come in here? Go back to the rap is toxic thread.

Yeah I figured it would be an evasive answer.

Recording a really delicate spanish guitar piece tonight, all night.

http://twitter.com/SlashHudson

Btw, has this info been posted yet? Link Matt confirms that Travis Barker and Jason Bonham will be drumming on the album. So that's Freese, Barker and Bonham confirmed. Chad Smith rumoured.

“He hasn’t asked me. You know, he’s got Jason Bonham playing on it, and Travis Barker, and I think he wants to, kind of, separate himself and do his own thing and that’s cool. I mean when he first did Slash’s Snakepit, I told him years ago that I thought it might be a good idea for him to bring in different singers and do that kind of thing, when we did the first Snakepit album way back when. Now he’s doing it, and I think it’s a good time for him to explore other styles of music because he’s such a great guitar player. He’s lent his guitar playing to so many great artists like everyone from Iggy Pop to Dylan, and he’s played with Michael Jackson. I mean he’s played with everybody. So to ask a favor back for him, it’s a big thing for Slash and I’m really excited for him.”

Had a feeling Barker would be involved. He's a good drummer.

Edited by Dead Flower

Recording a really delicate spanish guitar piece tonight, all night.

http://twitter.com/SlashHudson

Btw, has this info been posted yet? Link Matt confirms that Travis Barker and Jason Bonham will be drumming on the album. So that's Freese, Barker and Bonham confirmed. Chad Smith rumoured.

“He hasn’t asked me. You know, he’s got Jason Bonham playing on it, and Travis Barker, and I think he wants to, kind of, separate himself and do his own thing and that’s cool. I mean when he first did Slash’s Snakepit, I told him years ago that I thought it might be a good idea for him to bring in different singers and do that kind of thing, when we did the first Snakepit album way back when. Now he’s doing it, and I think it’s a good time for him to explore other styles of music because he’s such a great guitar player. He’s lent his guitar playing to so many great artists like everyone from Iggy Pop to Dylan, and he’s played with Michael Jackson. I mean he’s played with everybody. So to ask a favor back for him, it’s a big thing for Slash and I’m really excited for him.”

Had a feeling Barker would be involved. He's a good drummer.

Very cool.

I love the comments on the blink forum you linked to. Some dude didn't know who Slash was, and everybody else was basically like "How the fuck do you not know who Slash is?" Haha, good stuff.