Alice In Chains "Black Gives Way To Blue" Album Sampler

WhazUp

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted_19765
Title track sounds awesome

I was about to post the same. Jerry's ballads are always a highlight, and I have high hopes for this one.

The old records are great, obviously, but I have to admit that the bleak, junk influenced lyrics can often become overbearing on the mood. Dirt for example can be too miserable of an experience for me to sit through at once (this wasn't a problem when I was a teenager) and I'm hoping this record has just enough maturity to make it more enduring.

Yea I have a leak of it and am listening to it now. I am a diehard AIC fan and was totally open to a new vocalist/ The new disc sounds solid but it didnt exactly blow me away on the first listen, which is fine. most AIC albums tend to seep in and stay there.

The best stuff to me on this disc is the slower acoustic numbers like "Last of my kind." So far my favorite tune is "WHen the Sun Rose Again", its very creepy and low key. The biggest thing is that the vocals are almost all Jerry, more so than the old stuff. Its almost like theyre protecting Duvall from singing too much as not to make any dramatic shifts. When he does get a chance he sounds good but it still sounds like a Jerry solo album with the AIC band backing and a guest vocalist.

"Acid Bubble" is one of the heaviest things the band has ever written. The closing title track is beautiful and a good send off to Layne., if you were a big AIC fan it might even bring you to tears.

Edited by jkruk88

For me the first listen was tough. I was not prepared for it yet and I really just sat back and tried to get used it. On second listen I really grew to like it. All the AIC elements are there but like I said in my last post Jerry dominates the singing moreso than on other AIC records. Theyll never recover from losing Layne's voice but all things considered its a damn good effort

WOW ! Awesome album I've preordered my copy but couldn't resist and download as well :)

It sounds like Alice in Chains and has that AIC vibe around it ( which wasn't on Jerry's solo albums ) it doesn't pale in comparison with other AIC albums (expect "Dirt" but every other AIC pales in comparison with "Dirt" in my opnion).

Very diverse albums, awesome songs but that albums grows as other AIC albums. Also it makes perfect package, DuVall has balls of steel to step into Layne shoes but he ends winning, very solid vocals which fit the songs and his vocals are pretty similar to Layne's. Also it's the darkest, the heaviest AIC album, I was playing "Looking in the View" to my good friend who was huge AIC fan back in days and he didn't like it because it was too heavy almost like doom metal ( that's what he said) but I love such dark/heavy records.

So far my favourite tracks are

- Last of My Kind

- Acid Bubble

- Take Her Out ( awesome guitar melodies)

- Black Gives Way to Blue (very moving and great tribute to Layne)