Security at Winnipeg show instructed to turn away people if they showed up in Slash shirts/tophats

madison

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take fernando's word over a fucking rent-a-cop, security rarely knows what they're talking about, i'm surprised the guy knew what band was playing.

First, this person was a security manager who has been handling security for big-name bands, ranging from U2 to Bryan Adams, for 22 years. Second, he was the "manager" - not just a security guard. Third, why would he lie to me about this? He even went into great detail about what he was instructed to do with regard to the Slash gear/shirts because he found it so unusual and said the instructions came from Axl.

Now, is it possible someone else in the GNR camp gave him his instructions on Axl's behalf? Sure, although the security manager said it was Axl. But if that's the case, then I think Fernando and others need to find out who is giving instructions on Axl's behalf.

First people are releasing press-releases on Axl's behalf, now someone's banning certain apparell on his behalf. I'd say he needs to straighten that out before any more "misunderstandings" happen. :shock:

I'll take fernando's word over a fucking rent-a-cop, security rarely knows what they're talking about, i'm surprised the guy knew what band was playing.

First, this person was a security manager who has been handling security for big-name bands, ranging from U2 to Bryan Adams, for 22 years. Second, he was the "manager" - not just a security guard. Third, why would he lie to me about this? He even went into great detail about what he was instructed to do with regard to the Slash gear/shirts because he found it so unusual and said the instructions came from Axl.

Now, is it possible someone else in the GNR camp gave him his instructions on Axl's behalf? Sure, although the security manager said it was Axl. But if that's the case, then I think Fernando and others need to find out who is giving instructions on Axl's behalf.

Could also have been the promoter.. Even if he said it was from Axl, he could have misinterpeted, assumed etc..

The line of communication between parties at the concert event is anyone's guess.

why is it so hard for some of you people to believe that Axl wouldnt make this demand? He is known for being a bit of a Diva. Ive witnessed this 2 times now and this is a 100% true thing. "He's in my ass, thats where Slash is, Fuckhead, go home" He doesnt like when people bring up anything to do with Slash when they hate each other. Foul Denture is right on the money with this one, and Madison confirmed it. Sad but true folks. Sad but very very true. GNR is my favorite band of all time, but shit like this makes you think What the hell? Axl isnt 20 anymore. time to grow up. Slash was a huge part of why Axl can still do this shit. Us, as fans dont know all of the shit behind the scenes, we know the music. ive read all of the books, documentaries, etc, and the bottom line is, he (Axl) is only making himself look stupid by doing this. Even if its some managment or whatever making security do this, it all falls on Axls shoulders. So, it just make him look way insecure. he should be worried about how fat he looks, if anything, ha!!!

Axl should have to wear long sleaves at every show too, because Slash's likeness is tattoo'd on his forearm.

Damn good point. If you think about it, there hasn't been a Guns N' Roses show ever that Slash hasn't been in the spotlight :P

Edited by Conor

Well said Madison, nice one for keeping it open.

If this has come from the gnr camp, as in a direct request to security to refuse entry to people with slash or vr tshirts than this is a very sad moment for guns n roses, shame on the band and axl rose.

Maybe some of the security guys made theor won judegment based on axls volatile reputation - "better be extra careful 2nyt guys, watch out for potential trouble makers looking to antagonise axl and cause a riot..." Hence suggesting people dont wear slash tshirts.

I find it hard to believe that axl rose personally ordered security to refuse entry to anyone wearing a slash or vr shirt - its fucking crazy tbh if true and extremely dissapointing.

It woudl be helpful if the band could confirm or deny this.

Madison,

All due respect, what is the point of this thread? What is gained by bringing this up? In all honesty, your source is nobody (literally- you just said "a security manager.") There are so many different routes you could go with that make what you wrote seem extremely questionable. I'm very curious to know your motives with this.

For the record -and because I know Axl, Fernando, Beta, etc. may browse here from time to time, I don't buy this story.

This is NOT a story that I would have posted as news.

However, yesterday I closed an eight-page thread about this topic because I didn't believe it. I thought it was a bogus rumor and didn't want forum members to continue debating an untrue rumor. We go to great lengths to ensure the news and information that's posted here is accurate and reliable. We don't censor news, but we do shoot down untrue rumors whenever we see them.

However, when I checked into this rumor myself and spoke to the security manager, I discovered the rumor was true. It's not our forum's policy to censor discussion on "true" information. I made a mistake by closing the thread yesterday, and that's why I re-opened the discussion. If I had just re-opened the existing thread, people would have had to read through eight pages of fighting over whether the security policy was true before finding out that it was.

This is the only reason I started a thread about it. :(

Axl should have to wear long sleaves at every show too, because Slash's likeness is tattoo'd on his forearm.

Actually, he had it taped-up.

he also has red tape wrapped around his left hand - whether because of an injury or just because it matches his red microphone, I have no idea.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/G/Guns_N_Roses/ConcertReviews/2010/01/14/12460451-qmi.html

How do we know it was Axl who requested this?

Anyone in the management could have asked for this so he won't end up diving into the crowd or anything.

True, although he definately knows about it now... but nevertheless, what the fuck? :P

Yeah it does seem a bit ridiculous.

I can see more and more people turning up in Slash/VR shirts now just to see if they can get away with it.

I would be more interested to see the actual show.

Does anyone else believe that security guards getting paid $10/hour sat around and decided to make more work for themselves by censoring Slash T-shirts??? Or that the head of security would worry about Slash shirts???? The average security guard doesn't even know about Axl's obsurd obsession with ant-Slash sentiment.

If Fernando believes what he says, he needs to find out who in the GNR Camp is acting like a bitch and being so paranoid that loyal GNR fans are having their clothing censored for no reason. This is not something security would do on their own. Axl should have to wear long sleaves at every show too, because Slash's likeness is tattoo'd on his forearm.

"ANYBODY WEARING TSHIRTS WITH SLASH ON IT. TAKE IT OFF OR TURN IT INSIDE OUT. YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO WATCH THE SHOW. AXL'S ORDERS" This was repeated over and over as if he was selling popcorn while we were all in a lineup waiting to pass through security. We all laughed at this and couldnt believe he was still doing this like i witnessed in 2006. Again, i love the music and this is not about slogging the band. This is what happened. This is the truth. On my mother!!!

I understand why Axl, if he gave this order, wouldn't want to have Slash's face staring at him all night. The guy has made his life a living hell for the past 15 years, 15 fucking years. Can you imagine if, thanks to one man who was once your friend, your world and repuation was torn down to the point where you know that no matter what you do you just can't win? Where everything you do will have shit thrown at it? That would cripple you emotionally.

Would you want that mans face staring at you while you try to enjoy something that took you 15 years to build?

I understand why Axl, if he gave this order, wouldn't want to have Slash's face staring at him all night. The guy has made his life a living hell for the past 15 years, 15 fucking years. Can you imagine if, thanks to one man who was once your friend, your world and repuation was torn down to the point where you know that no matter what you do you just can't win? Where everything you do will have shit thrown at it? That would cripple you emotionally.

Would you want that mans face staring at you while you try to enjoy something that took you 15 years to build?

True, but c'mon. Its a damn tshirt!!! Who fucking cares!!! Who has the right to tell fans what they can and cannot wear to a show. This was not fucking cool at all. Very strange and totally out of hand.

Obviously, this happened.

But, the only real question is whether or not the order came from Axl. Recent history indicates that things do happen in the GN'R world on Axl's behalf without his consent. Therefore, it would be foolish of anyone here to rule that out as a possibility.

Ali

That same man is tattooed on his arm and responsible for many of the songs that GNR play to this very day.

It's a fucking t-shirt. Fans can wear what they want.

Not anymore they can't :P

Yes Slash helped write the songs, and they are great fucking songs but that doesn't change the fact that he has conciously said things that have damaged Axl in a big way. If I was Axl I sure as hell wouldn't want to be reminded of him while I'm on stage. I'm not arguing the pros and cons of this but I'm just seeing it from Axl's point of view and it's an understandable one.

Even if its some managment or whatever making security do this, it all falls on Axls shoulders.

And that's the problem here. He's an easy target, and often being pre-judged. The shitstorm comes down on him, and that really isn't fair.

There's a history of him sometimes being difficult, but it appears some people (fans?) won't allow him to have changed. He can never win with some people.

After watching the youtube videos from this tour, Axl is in a really good mood, joking around, having a real good time, starting concerts on time, playing monsterous setlists, twitts to his fans etc...

But something negative must ALWAYS be dug up, blown out of proportions and steal the spotlight. (Even if he ain't responsible).

Edited by spirit83

I know you're all salivating over the prospect of the press picking up on this and tearing the new band to shreds, but it's going to be about as newsowrthy as the time he actually banned Slash from a concert. No one outside of these fan forums in two thousand and ten is going to give a fuck beyond a slight chuckle and an "oh those silly millionaire freaks".

It;s no great injustice. It's totally bizarre and really funny.

Edited by mr-fukaji

That same man is tattooed on his arm and responsible for many of the songs that GNR play to this very day.

It's a fucking t-shirt. Fans can wear what they want.

Not anymore they can't :P

Yes Slash helped write the songs, and they are great fucking songs but that doesn't change the fact that he has conciously said things that have damaged Axl in a big way. If I was Axl I sure as hell wouldn't want to be reminded of him while I'm on stage. I'm not arguing the pros and cons of this but I'm just seeing it from Axl's point of view and it's an understandable one.

maybe the people in the front row and security can spot them during the opening act and that way it wouldn't make as much fuzz about it.

also, Slash is tattooed on his forearm so this face will be there no matter how many shirts you get people to turn inside out =/

but personally I don't really care.. doesn't touch me in any way possible and if that's the way Axl wants it to be then so be it.. of course some people are gonna want to raise hell and get their money refunded and that's okey.. he most likely knows that can happen but if he still wants this to be done I, personally, can respect that and not give a shit, it's not my place anyway to make a stand for something like this.

EDIT: as dumb as I think it is to bring something as big as a top hat to a rock show where you're jumping around and having fun but those who want to stand perfectly still to hold their big-ass hats on their heads should be allowed to since the current GN'R guitarist DJ Ashba performs with one ... IDK :shrugs:

Edited by Revolver

if i were axl i would do the same thing. the person/ persons who would wear a slash costume or shirt to a new GNR concert only want to piss off Axl and make a statement. a statement being like "this isnt GNR etc"

i didnt believe it at first but still Axl has good reason to do that. Any sonofabitch who would buy a 100 dollar or so ticket and wear a slash top hat must be a Grade A hater. If u think about it, it makes sense to stop it.

I'm sorry kid that you missed out on when GNR were truly the MOST DANGEROUS BAND IN THE WORLD and there were riots and things to worry about other than fans wearing fucking SLASH shirts.

Why doesn't Axl stop performing Slash songs if we can't wear his shirts into the shows?

sorry if u still think this is the most dangerous band in the world. they are not. its irrelevant to the evolved new GNR.

Fine but then why is Axl performing Slash's songs if we can't wear Slash/VR shirts to the GNR shows?

there not "Slash" songs they are Guns N Roses songs.

Its a Guns N Roses concert. GNR songs will be played.

like i said a person wearing a slash/vr shirt just wants to piss Axl off. I dont know about u, but if u have a choice to allow someone to piss u off u dont let it happen. end of story.

Does anyone else believe that security guards getting paid $10/hour sat around and decided to make more work for themselves by censoring Slash T-shirts??? Or that the head of security would worry about Slash shirts???? The average security guard doesn't even know about Axl's obsurd obsession with ant-Slash sentiment.

If Fernando believes what he says, he needs to find out who in the GNR Camp is acting like a bitch and being so paranoid that loyal GNR fans are having their clothing censored for no reason. This is not something security would do on their own. Axl should have to wear long sleaves at every show too, because Slash's likeness is tattoo'd on his forearm.

"ANYBODY WEARING TSHIRTS WITH SLASH ON IT. TAKE IT OFF OR TURN IT INSIDE OUT. YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO WATCH THE SHOW. AXL'S ORDERS" This was repeated over and over as if he was selling popcorn while we were all in a lineup waiting to pass through security. We all laughed at this and couldnt believe he was still doing this like i witnessed in 2006. Again, i love the music and this is not about slogging the band. This is what happened. This is the truth. On my mother!!!

I double confirm this. Security was yelling this at both 2006 and Wed night. I heard it. I saw it.