Official Ottawa Thread 1/31/09

Blaine_sixx

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, are you honestly trying to compare Baz - an artist who has an amazing vocal range and hit albums of his own - with Bubbles? :unsure: Wow. Perhaps you haven't heard Baz's stuff from his Skid Row days? You should check it out. He's a pretty awesome musician in his own right.

Bubbles isn't trying to reinvent the power ballad with Liquor & Whores. It's a song he sings "down at the Legion." He gets on stage for one light-hearted song that most people, both on stage and in the crowd, seem to enjoy.

Jackie u weren't that tall guy with the blond frizzy hair were you?

negative.

i just uploaded pictures from my trip to facebook, i think this is a public link, check it out

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2187828&id=94803282&l=73e53ad738

Eww..Habs fan...

Go Bruins man...just bought my tickets to Thursdays game at the Garden

[Alright...here is what I have to say about the Ottawa concert!

IT WAS AWESOME! BAZ's volume seemed a little low.

As for Guns, they were awesome. BBF really was the glue on the guitars! Fortus was doing too many awkward movements and was an eye sore. Ashba was a good person for crowd interactions! Then there was Axl...he's a real pro! Snake dance has been replaced with a snake swagger, still cool. Did his super mario run. That's always fuin to watch!

His voice was perfect. Great set list, and great energy.

The downfall was the people thought it would be over by 11:30pm. If people would do their research, they would know this isn't the case. The mass exit at 11:45pm was a little dissapoining. Oh, and what is with parents bringing their 4 yr. old kids to the show?? I am all for teaching my kids good music, but I won't get all fu<ked up, and then drive them home after the show. I saw ALOT of cars being pulled over by the police.

Overall 9/10. To those who complain about the crowd, I don't know where you were sitting. My section was pumping! Hot rocker mom's and some hot rocker chiks...

dPv

OK so here's my Ottawa review... broken into sections for you lazy fuckers... :)

"There's nothing like being at a rock concert surrounded by hot fucking chicks having a great fucking time."

PRE SHOW

I made the trip up from Georgia USA to see the show. My buddy lived in upstate New York so I flew in to see him, and we made the drive Sunday morning to the arena. I was prolly the 7th or 8th person to arrive at Scotiabank Place Sunday afternoon. Me and my buddy just took up camp for close to 5 hours on the stairs to the upper deck while we watched the line grow. The arena had two entrances to the floor, but for some reason the people in each line thought that their line was the ONLY way in and well, the other side was just wrong. I'd never been here before and I wasn't too excited about this ridiculous "standoff" so my buddy held my place in line and I just walked to the ticket offices and asked the nice lady who informed me both sides were going to open. It's amazing how simple that was...

SOUND CHECK

I met all kinds of cool people in line that afternoon, many of which went separate ways once the gates opened. We were all waiting in line when Guns took sound check a few hours before the show. Scotiabank Place is a hockey arena so it's not exactly built to contain sound... so we heard the sound check pretty damn well. From what I remember, the sound check setlist includes...

1. Shacklers Revenge

2. If the World

3. Prostitute

4. This I Love

I grabbed some audio recordings of the sound check with my phone, but they came out shitty since there were hundreds of people in line chatting by this point. Basically it was the entire band playing minus Axl, so you can imagine what that sounded like.

While we waited the cute tour girls started setting up T-shirts and other merchandise in the center of the lobby. Your basic tour t-shirt is $40, and that was a little steep for me. My Hammerstein shirt on my back was only $20, so I was cool with that. They didn't seem to get a lot of buyers from the people in line. Everyone around my position seemed to agree that $40 is a little high for a cotton t-shirt. But I did see lots of wristbands and hoodies purchased.

Security and ticket takers showed up about a quarter to 7 and by this time the lobby was damn near full. What was once a nice, clean, organized line had become a mass of people pushing towards the entrance (on both sides). Elbows started coming up and people started getting defensive as the guys in the back tried to jump up in line by slipping around the sides. It became tense. They finally got the OK to let us in around 7:20 PM. I was the 5th person in on the right side with my buddy right behind me. The ticket lady scanned his ticket twice so she had to void it by scanning it a third time which cost us some time. We got into the arena and we're given a wristband by the floor attendant. After that, we made our way to the front rail, about 3 feet to the right of stage center and waited for the show...

START HERE FOR SHOW STUFF...

DANKO

Danko Jones came out around 8 PM. I had never heard of or seen this guy before so I had no idea what to expect. They had some catchy stuff and moved around a lot, but the crowd didn't seem too impressed. I liked some of it and proceeded to throw my arms up and have a good time. The buzz killer was when Danko started talking, and kept talking, and kept talking...

"Are you ready for some more rock and roll tunesSS?

woooo

"What was that? I can't hear you!"

WOOOO

"That's better... better than Montreal, not as good as Toronto, but that's better... this next song is about all the people bla bla bla"

He talked between every 2-3 songs and it really killed his show. The bass player seemed to have a great time up there and apparently someone threw something at him during his set, but I missed it.

SEBASTIAN BACH

Danko played for about 30-40 minutes, the stage was reset, then Bach came out in all of his glory. This is a guy that had lost a LOT of weight from the last time I saw him in NYC 2006. He sounded awesome too! He opened up with "Back in the Saddle" and by the end of the song there was slobber all over his chin and face. He was drooling so much when he screamed but no one seemed to care and I thought it was funny as hell! He spit some water onto the crowd at the end of the song but it landed on the poor security guys between the stage and the rail. They were not impressed lol.

Bach rolled through some old songs like "18 and Life" and "Big Guns" (which has a nice titty story which I'll come back too in a second), as well as the newer tracks like "Stuck Inside". On the opposite side of the stage there were some gorgeous chicks wearing low cut tops that were barely holding everything in. As soon as Bach saw these girls during Big Guns he started making gestures for them to show their tits. It took some convincing but one of them did and the first few rows that saw it went nuts. After the song Bach pointed the girls out and said something like...

"Ottawa you have some hot girls down here that have some real BIG GUNS"

The rest of the set included Bach walking back and forth from one side of the stage to the other with his corded microphone in tow. That cord kept getting caught on lights and other crap and roadies had to keep untangling it for him. Aside from one point where Bach yelled the name of the roadie "DEREK" (or something) during one of the songs, he never missed a beat. He mentioned something at one point about shooting a Blue Ray tonight, but I couldn't hear excatly what he said. One of the coolest parts of Bach's set was "American Metalhead" which he renamed "Canadian Metalhead". He broke out a hockey jersey with CANADIAN METALHEAD on the back and ripped the song apart. It was a great performance.

Bach played for about an hour to and hour and a half. Once he finished he introduced his band and we met Nick Sterling, the 19 year old guitar player. This kid is good... and he will be around for a long time. By the way I got a guitar pick from Johnny Chromatic (i think his name was). All in all Bach tore the place up and rocked. My only complaint is that Bach's volume was kinda quiet on the high notes, but that's not his fault.

GUNS N ROSES

So we figured Guns would come on around 10:30-10:45 based on the previous show reports I've seen. By this time of the night we had a great group of fans around us. I had this hot brunette with huge tits on my left, my buddy had this hot blonde chick on his right, the rail was in front of us, the crowd was behind us... we were ready! One of the head security guys came by and said something to all the other security guys at about 10:45 that made them all take position and put their earplugs in. This got everyone excited thinking that the show was going to start. Come to find out later it was the call that "Axl's here" but that didn't mean shit when it came to start the show. About 20 minutes went by and the arena is getting pissy. A couple of rumors started like Axl's in the gym and crap. After waiting and waiting we finally saw Axl run into his little side tent area off the side of the stage. Only a few people saw it but this sent the place into chants "Guns N Roses" etc. Then the lights went out...

Some hip hoppy drum and bass techno music started playing. This was not the same music that I heard in 2006. It was weird, but kinda happy lol. It played for about a minute before we heard the intro horn sound of Chinese Democracy take over, and the place went nuts. Big red GNR logos started flying into the big screens behind the stage and the little chinese people could be heard over the speakers. It seemed like a longer intro than the album but I had no idea of time by the point. Finally Ashba showed up by the drums, played the riff, and the night was on.

Tons of pyro. Tons of pyro. Tons of pyro. Ashba later said that he got hit with pyro during the opening, but he's OK. Chinese Democracy, Jungle, It's So Easy all had pyro to start the night. It was different than the youtube videos I had seen up to this point.

Axl looked and sounded great. None of the internet videos do him justice. It's so much different in person and the sound was excellent. Axl was loud and clear, the band was clear and tight (not muddy sounding like in the bootlegs). You could hear every guitar and isolate all the instruments. I don't think Axl's telepromters were working when he came out because he pointed to them right away and looked back to the corner of the stage as if to say "Come fix this shit" lol

I'm not going to do a song by song review but here are some of my highlights...

Jungle - Axl did the full "Do you know where the fuck you are? Your in the jungle baby... wake up... time to dieeee" before the band kicked in with the full opening of jungle. It was just like the Live Era album. He really milked the intro too...

Sorry - Ashba was sitting on the monitors on one end of the stage, Fortus was sitting on the opposite side's monitors, and Axl was walking back and forth between them. Excellent performance!

Better - The whole arena was singing that song. It was really cool.

Fortus solo - That 007 theme had my section of the arena jumping. It was badass. Fortus kept coming over to us and playing for us because I guess we were the ones that were jamming to his solo. Again... bad ass!

If the World, Street of Dreams, Scraped - All of the new songs were 20 times better than that Osaka bootleg I have. Axl didn't mess up the words to Scraped at all (first time I heard him do it right lol) The crowd seemed to really dig Scraped too.

Another Brick in the Wall Pt 1 - Totally unexpected for me, but a HUGE PLUS. I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, and they busted out this jam while the roadies were fixing Axl's piano. I think Ron started the guitar riff, then everyone else picked up and Axl sang it sitting at the piano while the roadies did their thing. I about lost it when Axl kicked in "we don't need no, education" real soft... "All in all your just a, nother brick in the wall..." too fucking cool... it still gives me goosebumps...

November Rain - At the ending of the song everyone in the band was trying to go big. Axl started his "Dont you think that you need somebody" way early on purpose and just kept building up his voice as BBF played the hell out of the end solo. Axl ended up running his feet across the piano during the ending fill, then the band finished, and then they did it again! BBF started laughing when they started playing the ending again so he just started jamming the guitar again lol. They had 2 endings to November Rain. It was awesome.

BBF solo - At the end I saw Tommy telling some people on the floor to move a little bit. At the end he kinda threw his hands up and turned away like "I can't believe you aren't dancing to this shit". That was the first moment I saw the band start to get frustrated with the crowd.

Nightrain - Ashba ended up playing guitar in the crowd. Too cool!

Liquor And Whores - Bubbles came out in a spacesuit. He said "I'm going to the fucking moon!"

This I Love - Ashba came up to our area and played some of the chords looking directly at us and smiling. Later he looked at the crowd on the floor behind us and yelled "Get the fuck up!" The hot chick next to me got the pick from him after the solo.

Shacklers - Better than any bootleg ever. Axl tears it up.

So final thoughts...So the show came and went. There were bras thrown up on stage, there were shirts thrown up on stage. At one point a shirt landed on Axl's shoulder while he was singing. He just tossed it aside and kept going. He gave Tommy one of the bra's and hung it on his mic. There were prolly 10-15 crowd surfers that were tossed from my area during the show. Lots of boobies everywhere. Saw a full blown Buckethead in the crowd. We got a reaction from Ron three times during the show. He gave us a salute, then a smile, then finally just yelled WOOOOO at us during Patience. It was fucking awesome!

I keep reading about the crowd sucking, but where I was the crowd fucking rocked. There's nothing like being at a rock concert surrounded by hot fucking chicks having a great fucking time. I saw signs from the band that some parts of the crowd were shitty, but not where I was. The band gave us constant eye to eye contact and interaction. It was brilliant. My buddy got Frank's drumstick (which was cracked and almost busted in half lol), I got a pick from Bach's band, the hot girl next to me got Ashba's pick, and the guy behind me got some drum head covers from Bach's band. Oh yeah the lights were really cool too. They dropped down from the roof like a fucking spaceship.

There's tons of things in my head right now, and I'm starting to get tired of writing so I'm gonna ease up a bit. One thing I did notice was lots of cameras. Bach mentioned the Blu Ray thing, and with the hot chicks rocking out around us the camera guys were constantly shooting us during the set. I can't wait to see if that comes out but I'm not holding my breath.

Bottom line... the show was beyond my expectations. Way better than NYC 2006. Buy the fucking tickets. It's worth the money.

BTW - The arena was almost full. I don't know where people get this 8000 count from...

Thanks for reading. I'll try to answer questions if you have them. Cheers.

*Holy shit I just realized how long this is... none of you will read this shit lol

photo.jpg

Edited by djtripp20

Another Brick in the Wall Pt 1 - Totally unexpected for me, but a HUGE PLUS. I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, and they busted out this jam while the roadies were fixing Axl's piano. I think Ron started the guitar riff, then everyone else picked up and Axl sang it sitting at the piano while the roadies did their thing. I about lost it when Axl kicked in "we don't need no, education" real soft... "All in all your just a, nother brick in the wall..." too fucking cool... it still gives me goosebumps...

Wow, that sounds pretty cool

Would love to have heard Axl singing that song.

Great review djtripp! :)

My third show on this tour (Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa) and I think this was the best one.

One funny moment I noticed was during YCBM, Axl threw his mike stand towards the back of the stage like a javelin, and it actually went under the stage part where they keep the piano, through the GnR Logo curtain. Then, the next time they bought the piano out for November Rain, the technicians had to spend some extra time fixing something under the piano. Maybe a wire or something that was displaced by his throw. Axl is in full force again!

My third show on this tour (Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa) and I think this was the best one.

One funny moment I noticed was during YCBM, Axl threw his mike stand towards the back of the stage like a javelin, and it actually went under the stage part where they keep the piano, through the GnR Logo curtain. Then, the next time they bought the piano out for November Rain, the technicians had to spend some extra time fixing something under the piano. Maybe a wire or something that was displaced by his throw. Axl is in full force again!

"Fuckin' Piano" -- Bumblefoot

Great review djtripp20!! Sounds like you had as much fun as possible :thumbsup: Seems like the place you were staying is great, er? I mean, all of you got something!! Where did you stay? As long forward as you can, to the left for the right wing and to the right for the one in the middle?

I need to find out what's the best place until they come over to Europe (guess I've got enough time..) :P

Great review djtripp20!! Sounds like you had as much fun as possible :thumbsup: Seems like the place you were staying is great, er? I mean, all of you got something!! Where did you stay? As long forward as you can, to the left for the right wing and to the right for the one in the middle?

I need to find out what's the best place until they come over to Europe (guess I've got enough time..) :P

I was about 4 or 5 people to the right (Ashba's side) of dead center stage. I mean we were so close that most of the stage where BBF was stationed was actually blocked by the monitors and Axl's teleprompter. But this didn't matter because the TV's covered anywhere we missed. Most of the action from Axl and co was right there front and center anyway. I've got a few pics from the end of the show but I won't be able to upload them till I get home.

The only other place that would have been as good might be the corners where the main stage meets the center part. Your surrounded by the action there and that's where Ashba played his guitar in the crowd.

I can't wait to see some of these videos that come out. It shouldn't be hard to see me cuz I was the only 6'4" dude with long ass arms on that rail. Kinda hard to hide that lol.

Cheers

I was about 4 or 5 people to the right (Ashba's side) of dead center stage. I mean we were so close that most of the stage where BBF was stationed was actually blocked by the monitors and Axl's teleprompter. But this didn't matter because the TV's covered anywhere we missed. Most of the action from Axl and co was right there front and center anyway. I've got a few pics from the end of the show but I won't be able to upload them till I get home.

The only other place that would have been as good might be the corners where the main stage meets the center part. Your surrounded by the action there and that's where Ashba played his guitar in the crowd.

I can't wait to see some of these videos that come out. It shouldn't be hard to see me cuz I was the only 6'4" dude with long ass arms on that rail. Kinda hard to hide that lol.

Cheers

Thanks! :thumbsup: That's the two places I thought would be the best ones! Ashba's been playing guitar in the crowd two (or more) shows now right? Time for someone to catch that with a videocamera! :D

@RJ88 Great pictures! Love the one of Axl and Fortus playing acoustic guitar!!