bumblefoot interview at ultimate-guitar.com

riot

Another thing is when I first joined the group, because leaks were such an issue they wouldn't give me the music. I didn't have any of their new songs, and the band would say to me "Just tell them you have to have it - you have to have the songs to learn them", but the management folks would not give me the music - they said "No".

Umm,what the fuck? I have never heard of anything like this. Axl/"The Band" couldn't get access to the songs for him to rehearse. Is this some kind of a joke? Dudes in caves on the other side of the world had the songs but a "band member" couldn't get them to learn? People on here wonder why GNR is looked upon as a joke by rock fans well, here is a prime example.

Give the guy a watermarked ,copy-proof cd of the songs for fucks sake.Like he is gonna risk his spot in GNR to leak them?

That can't be for real - surely Axl's not that paranoid?

It's real, Ron talked about this in another interview a few months ago.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course a member of the band should be able to get a copy of the songs. Like PTZ said, if BBF really believed this was coming from Axl, he wouldn't have at mentioned this in the interview to begin with and open that can of worms.

Ali

He didn't have to say that it was coming from Axl. However, anyone with more than 2 brain cells can deduce that if Axl wanted him to have these songs it would have taken him, oh, 3 seconds and would have saved Ron an ass load of stress and problems.

So, then what's the argument? That Ron is lying saying that management folks wouldn't allow him copies of songs to use as a learning tools, when it was really Axl? Or that Axl could have helped him out despite management's wishes to not distribute copies of the songs?

Ali

Edited by Ali

Of course a member of the band should be able to get a copy of the songs. Like PTZ said, if BBF really believed this was coming from Axl, he wouldn't have at mentioned this in the interview to begin with and open that can of worms.

Ali

He didn't have to say that it was coming from Axl. However, anyone with more than 2 brain cells can deduce that if Axl wanted him to have these songs it would have taken him, oh, 3 seconds and would have saved Ron an ass load of stress and problems.

So, then what's the argument? That Ron is lying saying that management folks wouldn't allow him copies of songs to use as a learning tools, when it was really Axl? Or that Axl could have helped him out despite management's wishes to not distribute copies of the songs?

Ali

Members of the band were not allowed to have copies of the songs due to the fact that the "powers that be" Axl and or management, were paranoid and distrusting of them. This caused problems and stress within the band in regard to learning the songs and how they sounded live, as Ron has clearly stated in this interview.

I wouldnt say there's much to argue about that as the situation pretty much speaks for itself.

I blame Axl for alot of things but not sure about the stuff BBF mentioned. I'm not taking sides at all and who knows it might have been Axl's decision. Probably was. But to just go "hrmph hrmph look what axls done..." right after BBF says it was management/situation's fault isn't very smart.

I love how BBF knew people would freak out about that so he had to clarify that it wasn't Axl (or so he says). It's sad that anything negative that happens is Axl's fault now without any consideration whatsoever. Axl is or at least was a troubled person at one time or another but to call him an asshole for his whole life based on a few things he's done (more than a few) is being a bit ignorant.

Some people say Axl is not open minded enough to forgive Slash/bury the hatchet. I'd say some of you aren't open minded enough to the fact that people can change. Not saying Axl DEFINITELY HAS, but consider it.

Edited by ItsSuchACrimeUKnowItsTruee

Ali

Ali

Members of the band were not allowed to have copies of the songs due to the fact that the "powers that be" Axl and or management, were paranoid and distrusting of them. This caused problems and stress within the band in regard to learning the songs and how they sounded live, as Ron has clearly stated in this interview.

I wouldnt say there's much to argue about that as the situation pretty much speaks for itself.

Obviously, Ron's statement speaks for itself and you can't argue with the ultimate impact on him form this situation. I wasn't clear if people thought that he was just saying it was management when they felt it was really Axl. Or, if the complaint or argument or whatever you want to call it is that Axl should have helped out Ron despite what management's wishes were. If people think the former, I don't think Ron would have brought this up to begin with if it originated with Axl. That would be opening a can of worms unnecessarily. If it is the latter, then, yes, Axl could have given him a copy or had a copy given to Ron despite management's decree.

Ali

Edited by Ali

axl is management.

don't you idiots understand that yet........

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner! :thumbsup:

:rolleyes: I think history has shown that to not be the case. Very recent history, actually. Whatever, though. Only the people involved know the actual dynamics of the situation. People can speculate to their heart's content to reinforce pre-existing notions of how things are and work.

Ali

Another thing is when I first joined the group, because leaks were such an issue they wouldn't give me the music. I didn't have any of their new songs, and the band would say to me "Just tell them you have to have it - you have to have the songs to learn them", but the management folks would not give me the music - they said "No".

Umm,what the fuck? I have never heard of anything like this. Axl/"The Band" couldn't get access to the songs for him to rehearse. Is this some kind of a joke? Dudes in caves on the other side of the world had the songs but a "band member" couldn't get them to learn? People on here wonder why GNR is looked upon as a joke by rock fans well, here is a prime example.

Give the guy a watermarked ,copy-proof cd of the songs for fucks sake.Like he is gonna risk his spot in GNR to leak them?

He says management, but it's SOOOOOOO obvious Axl wouldn't let him have them. As if Axl couldn't EASILY give his guitarist these tracks. Give me a break. :crazy:

Talk about distrust and paranoia. Dear God...

But he also said that everyone in earlier management was gone. If he included Axl in his definition of management, he wouldn't have said they were gone.

He says management, but it's SOOOOOOO obvious Axl wouldn't let him have them. As if Axl couldn't EASILY give his guitarist these tracks. Give me a break. :crazy:

Talk about distrust and paranoia. Dear God...

But he also said that everyone in earlier management was gone. If he included Axl in his definition of management, he wouldn't have said they were gone.

If he felt Axl was complicit in denying him copies of tapes of the songs, he wouldn't have gone on record with it to begin with or risk being fired from the band for discussing band business publicly.

Ali

axl is management.

Ding ding ding!!

:rolleyes: I think history has shown that to not be the case. Very recent history, actually. Whatever, though. Only the people involved know the actual dynamics of the situation. People can speculate to their heart's content to reinforce pre-existing notions of how things are and work.

Ali

Dude, c'mon. Separate the art from the artist, Ali. Think about it. If Axl was a rational man, he would have said "What?! Fuck that!!" when he heard management wouldn't give them the propper tools they needed and given him what he needed right away.

So he is either A. Completely disconnected and disinterested in the rest of the band, or B. Making up these ridiculous rules for them.

Both are equally strange.

Edited by sofine11

If he felt Axl was complicit in denying him copies of tapes of the songs, he wouldn't have gone on record with it to begin with or risk being fired from the band for discussing band business publicly.

Ali

Axl can't fire Bumble now - how damaging would that be to the credibility of the band?

It would just reinforce the notion that this is a revolving-door of guitarists.

Ali

Axl can't fire Bumble now - how damaging would that be to the credibility of the band?

Yup. Ron leaving would absolutely be the final nail in the coffin for this band. He can say whatever the hell he wants now.

axl is management.

Ding ding ding!!

Ali

Dude, c'mon. Separate the art from the artist, Ali. Think about it. If Axl was a rational man, he would have said "What?! Fuck that!!" when he heard management wouldn't give them the propper tools they needed and given him what he needed right away.

So he is either A. Completely disconnected and disinterested in the rest of the band, or B. Making up these ridiculous rules for them.

Let me be clear. I don't think Ron personally believes Axl was involved in denying him copies of songs or else he would not have gone public with this info. Do I think that Axl should have arranged for Ron to get copies of the tapes regardless of what management wants? Yes, of course. It's completely idiotic and senseless to make things harder for him than need be. Also, they could have given him a copy of a CD with measures to prevent copying of said CD. I think if anything he is disconnected because he wasn't really in the studio with the band and worked on the record on his own (Axl that is).

Ali

Ali

for alot of people, that shipped sailed along time ago.

Ali

Yup. Ron leaving would absolutely be the final nail in the coffin for this band. He can say whatever the hell he wants now.

That's what people said when Bucket left. If Axl is as is irrational and temperamental as he is said to be, would it really have mattered what the public credibility implications would be for firing Ron? Would someone that temperamental care? I doubt it.

Ali

axl is management.

Ding ding ding!!

Ali

Let me be clear. I don't think Ron personally believes Axl was involved in denying him copies of songs or else he would not have gone public with this info. Do I think that Axl should have arranged for Ron to get copies of the tapes regardless of what management wants? Yes, of course. It's completely idiotic and senseless to make things harder for him than need be. Also, they could have given him a copy of a CD with measures to prevent copying of said CD. I think if anything he is disconnected because he wasn't really in the studio with the band and worked on the record on his own (Axl that is).

Ali

Ron isn't an idiot. He chose his words very carefully. And who knows? Maybe he does truly blame "management" for making his life difficult. But it seems the majority here find it blatantly obvious that this all could have been remedied very quickly by one man.

Ali

That's what people said when Bucket left. If Axl is as is irrational and temperamental as he is said to be, would it really have mattered what the public credibility implications would be for firing Ron? Would someone that temperamental care? I doubt it.

Ali

So Fine11, I usally agree with 99.9% of your posts but come on now. A guy named Bumblefoot leaving that hardly anyone outside these boards knows,would be the final nail in the coffin? There have been,what over 20 people by now in Guns? Ron is cool,but by no means is he more than a blip on the radar in the history of Guns.

It's a completely different situation now than in 2004 when Bucket flew the coup (pun intended). Hell, it's not even the same as 2006 nowadays. To say that this band is struggling and not even able to hook up domestic gigs would be pretty fair assessment in my opinion. And I LOVE this band.

Ron leaving would cause more delays, more restructuring, more retooling....Less fans. Can they survive that and play theater gigs? Sure. Would Axl do that? Nope.

Edited by sofine11

axl is management.

Ding ding ding!!

Ali

Ali

Ron isn't an idiot. He chose his words very carefully. And who knows? Maybe he does truly blame "management" for making his life difficult. But it seems the majority here find it blatantly obvious that this all could have been remedied very quickly by one man.

Well, I still think someone who truly isn't an idiot wouldn't have even risked opening this can worms. That would be the safest thing to do. But, yes, I agree, this situation could have been remedied very easily for Ron's sake. Axl could have remedied the situation.

Ali

Ali

So Fine11, I usally agree with 99.9% of your posts but come on now. A guy named Bumblefoot leaving that hardly anyone outside these boards knows,would be the final nail in the coffin? There have been,what over 20 people by now in Guns? Ron is cool,but by no means is he more than a blip on the radar in the history of Guns.

On this very forum,Tracii Guns is beating him in a poll that is about "Who was more essential to GNR" Tracii Guns or Bumblefoot"

Edit*Of course Ron is gonna blame Merck. Merck is gone and can't defend himself. Either way,it's insane that a "band" member can't get a copy of the songs to learn. This enforces the belief of the public that these guys are hired help.

Just so you know, you don't represent the public. That's YOUR opinion.

Ali

Ali

Dude, it's a completely different situation now than in 2004 when Bucket flew the coup (pun intended). Hell, it's not even the same as 2006 nowadays. To say that this band is struggling and not even able to hook up domestic gigs would be pretty fair assessment in my opinion. And I LOVE this band.

Ron leaving would cause more delays, more restructuring, more retooling....Less fans. Can they survive that and play theater gigs? Sure. Would Axl do that? Nope.

Yeah, it's a different situation. It's not exactly the same. But, I've heard that statement before when Bucket left and then when Robin left. To say that the band is really struggling to book gigs in the US, you have to first know for sure that they have tried and failed to book gigs in the US thus far. I haven't seen any even rumor of that, to be honest. But, that is neither here nor there. They've replaced Paul Tobias, Buckethead and Robin Finck and have survived each one of those changes. That's more than I thought they could endure. But they have. So who knows what else this band can endure.

Ali

Ali

On this very forum,Tracii Guns is beating him in a poll that is about "Who was more essential to GNR" Tracii Guns or Bumblefoot"

Edit*Of course Ron is gonna blame Merck. Merck is gone and can't defend himself. Either way,it's insane that a "band" member can't get a copy of the songs to learn. This enforces the belief of the public that these guys are hired help.

Just so you know, you don't represent the public. That's YOUR opinion.

Walk down the street Bubba and show people a picture of Ron. 9 out of 10 music fans will say "Who the fuck is that" Half the fucking people at a GNR show don't know who he is.

Bubba, walk down the street and show people a picture of Izzy Stradlin, Duff, or Steve Adler. 9 out of 10 music fans will say "Who the fuck is that!".

Btw, I love those three guys, just showing you an example that your statement doesn't make sense at all.

Edited by RocketKing99