bumblefoot interview at ultimate-guitar.com

riot

Do some of you just not get it?

BBF, Richard, Frank, and the rest of the "band" Axl has on his payroll are pawns. Nothing more. Period. It is NOT a band.

It's basically Axl Rose telling a group of unestablished musicians to do this - and not to do that - and if they do this specific thing they will be fired. If you don't think this is reality, you are lying to yourself. That's why Axl no longer has the all-star cast of musicians that the world wants to see behind him (Slash, Izzy, Duff, etc). They wouldn't allow Axl to control them. Now, Axl is forced to employ different musicians every couple years so he can have this full control that he is looking for. Think about it .. did any of you even know who Fortus, Frank, Pittman, etc were before Axl started paying them? After he started watching guys like BH, Robin, and Freese bail on his ass it started sinking in that he wouldn't be able to find & keep any respectable musician (with an ounce of pride) who would be willing to operate this way, so he knew a group of virtual unknowns - with no other options - were his only resort. It's sad, but it is in fact reality.

No other band on earth gives answers like "no comment" or "I really don't know what's going on in the band" (that I am supposedly a part of). It's not normal and there is no other way to explain such abused, subserviant behavior. Their roles are to play their instrument (the way Axl wants it to be played) and to shut their fucking mouth. That's it. It should be painfully obvious that this is the case and I truly feel sorry for anyone who feels as though this isn't true.

Deal with it guys. It's fucking sad.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBF, Richard, Frank, and the rest of the "band" Axl has on his payroll are pawns. Nothing more. Period. It is NOT a band.

It's basically Axl Rose telling a group of unestablished musicians to do this - and not to do that - and if they do this specific thing they will be fired. If you don't think this is reality, you are lying to yourself. That's why Axl no longer has the all-star cast of musicians that the world wants to see behind him (Slash, Izzy, Duff, etc). They wouldn't allow Axl to control them. Now, Axl is forced to employ different musicians every couple years so he can have this full control that he is looking for. Think about it .. did any of you even know who Fortus, Frank, Pittman, etc were before Axl started paying them? After he started watching guys like BH, Robin, and Freese bail on his ass it started sinking in that he wouldn't be able to find & keep any respectable musician (with an ounce of pride) who would be willing to operate this way, so he knew a group of virtual unknowns - with no other options - were his only resort. It's sad, but it is in fact reality.

No other band on earth gives answers like "no comment" or "I really don't know what's going on in the band" (that I am supposedly a part of). It's not normal and there is no other way to explain such abused, subserviant behavior. Their roles are to play their instrument (the way Axl wants it to be played) and to shut their fucking mouth. That's it. It should be painfully obvious that this is the case and I truly feel sorry for anyone who feels as though this isn't true.

In lighter news, have you heard the Tokyo bootleg? It rocks!

Not a fan, eh?

The original GNR was all about speaking your mind, not censorship :thumbsup:rock3

Says the guy who constantly uses the "you weren't born then, you GnR educator" line to shut up every opinion that isn't his.

No,I use that to refute the GNR-educators on here. This isn't like World War 2 or being a history professor. I have come to notice that the people who bash Slash the most seem to be the ones who weren't around to experience the magic of AFD/UYI. I'll take the opinion of someone who was there over someone who bashes the people who helped make this Forum possible.

In response, you were born then and therefore have a bias. You could say the same about me. Then we're even.

If we're even that means that the age thing just has to go away. You're too old. I'm too young. So lets throw that away and discuss the facts.

+1

Slashites can't see reality. They have Slash's cum all over their eyes.

If you ask me a wish I'd ask for no AFD or UYI songs. Just ChiDem plus Silkworms, Oh My God, and the asshole song dedicated to Saul "The Cancer" Slash.

Come up with your own names, you Jabroni. Maybe you can get a GNR tattoo when you are old enough :drevil:

Also, explain those Slash comments,if you are such a fan of his.

I don't know how old r u, but you're acting like a little kid.

Thanks for contributing nothing to this discussion about the great Ron Thal's interview. Take a seat,Junior.

Ok Bubba. Or Jabroni. Or GNR educator. Or Rancid, I was alive during AFD days, Punks... :sleeper:

The original GNR was all about speaking your mind, not censorship :thumbsup:rock3

Says the guy who constantly uses the "you weren't born then, you GnR educator" line to shut up every opinion that isn't his.

No,I use that to refute the GNR-educators on here. This isn't like World War 2 or being a history professor. I have come to notice that the people who bash Slash the most seem to be the ones who weren't around to experience the magic of AFD/UYI. I'll take the opinion of someone who was there over someone who bashes the people who helped make this Forum possible.

So how old are you then, xGNRxSTARx?

It's basically Axl Rose telling a group of unestablished musicians to do this - and not to do that - and if they do this specific thing they will be fired. If you don't think this is reality, you are lying to yourself. That's why Axl no longer has the all-star cast of musicians that the world wants to see behind him (Slash, Izzy, Duff, etc). They wouldn't allow Axl to control them.

That would be because those can't accept the fact that Axl can write a better song than they ever will (except Izzy), which is a shame.

Edited by JVesper

Jesus, the way some of you can spin a nice interview into a collossal cesspool of negativity is fuckin crazy.

Exactly!!!! Probably the most insightful interview a current member of this band has ever given and it turns into a bitch fest.

On topic, can't wait for part 2. Would love an in depth interview with Tommy too :)

EDIT: Oh, its right above me

Edited by Monty

What is it like to work with Axl Rose? You obviously have those who comment on forums, thinking they know everything, saying "Axl acts like this" and all that rubbish. But what is it actually like to work with the man?

All the people that don't know anything are the ones who do all the talking (laughs). They try to fool everyone into thinking that they have an idea about how things are. It's like working with anyone else - it's fine. It's just normal, at least to me. It's just pretty normal, and the funny thing is if I say something positive, the response to that from the sceptics is "Oh, he's getting paid to say that" (laughs). One thing I've realized is there's no truth in this; it's only entertainment, and people believe what entertains them the most. Truth is irrelevant; I can tell the truth, and if it's not entertaining enough, people will call you a liar. The truth, as boring as it is, is that it's fine. Since I've joined the group, we immediately went on tour, and we finished recording 'Chinese Democracy', and the album came out. That's it.

Some disgruntled Guns N' Roses fans make the comment that the group's current lineup isn't Guns N' Roses, but is actually Axl Rose's solo project. What is your response to that?

They're right in their own mind if it isn't Guns N' Roses as they define Guns N' Roses. If you don't like calling it Guns N' Roses, call it G N' R, and if that makes you feel better, then good. That's what I like to call it - G N' R. If you feel Guns N' Roses is so strongly defined by the members that were on its debut album, fine, call this G N' R and find something else to cry about - something worthwhile. There's bigger problems in the world than what a band is calling itself. Jesus, it's fucking rock 'n' roll. We're just going out there, playing, and having a good time. Call it G N' R and enjoy it, that's all. That's my suggestion if the name's really a problem for anyone - if you wanna listen to Guns N' Roses, put on the 'Appetite' album, be happy, and if you wanna listen to G N' R, put on 'Chinese Democracy' and come to a show.

Quoted for truth.

What is it like to work with Axl Rose? You obviously have those who comment on forums, thinking they know everything, saying "Axl acts like this" and all that rubbish. But what is it actually like to work with the man?

All the people that don't know anything are the ones who do all the talking (laughs). They try to fool everyone into thinking that they have an idea about how things are. It's like working with anyone else - it's fine. It's just normal, at least to me. It's just pretty normal, and the funny thing is if I say something positive, the response to that from the sceptics is "Oh, he's getting paid to say that" (laughs). One thing I've realized is there's no truth in this; it's only entertainment, and people believe what entertains them the most. Truth is irrelevant; I can tell the truth, and if it's not entertaining enough, people will call you a liar. The truth, as boring as it is, is that it's fine. Since I've joined the group, we immediately went on tour, and we finished recording 'Chinese Democracy', and the album came out. That's it.

Some disgruntled Guns N' Roses fans make the comment that the group's current lineup isn't Guns N' Roses, but is actually Axl Rose's solo project. What is your response to that?

They're right in their own mind if it isn't Guns N' Roses as they define Guns N' Roses. If you don't like calling it Guns N' Roses, call it G N' R, and if that makes you feel better, then good. That's what I like to call it - G N' R. If you feel Guns N' Roses is so strongly defined by the members that were on its debut album, fine, call this G N' R and find something else to cry about - something worthwhile. There's bigger problems in the world than what a band is calling itself. Jesus, it's fucking rock 'n' roll. We're just going out there, playing, and having a good time. Call it G N' R and enjoy it, that's all. That's my suggestion if the name's really a problem for anyone - if you wanna listen to Guns N' Roses, put on the 'Appetite' album, be happy, and if you wanna listen to G N' R, put on 'Chinese Democracy' and come to a show.

Quoted for truth.

Very good one, this man is amazing

Very cool read, if you haven't done so check it out.

The thing about Guns N' Roses is it all happened in a cocoon, where it went in as one creature and came out as something totally different. I think that because of that, when 'Chinese Democracy' came out, people thought "That's not the caterpillar I was expecting". It was like "Right. It's a butterfly". I think it took probably a good year (laughs) for people to start forgetting about the baggage that was attached to this album, like the issue that it's not the same band members, it's not all the same band members that wrote and played on it, and that it's not the same sounding music. Guns N' Roses is a different creature now, but that's what makes it special. Where else in the history of rock music are you gonna find an album that has a decade of all these different people contributing all this cool stuff? Robin, and Paul, and Brain, and Buckethead, and me and Frank, and Tommy and Richard, and Dizzy and Pitman, and Sebastian Bach too. Nowhere are you gonna find an album that has such a history to it, and that has accumulated so many building blocks from such a long journey.

What a guy...so honest and so true. I like how he also talks about GNR becoming more independent.

Jesus, the way some of you can spin a nice interview into a collossal cesspool of negativity is fuckin crazy.

It's called a discussion. If ya don't like it, HTGTH might suit you better. Over there,you have your choice of something being "AWESOME!" or "AMAZING!" The original GNR was all about speaking your mind, not censorship :thumbsup:rock3

Pretty sure Ghost Guns was speaking his mind...

I like how this is the ad on that page:

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/your-next-record-with-slash/?source=4XBASLASH7

It's called a discussion. If ya don't like it, HTGTH might suit you better. Over there,you have your choice of something being "AWESOME!" or "AMAZING!" The original GNR was all about speaking your mind, not censorship :thumbsup:rock3

I'm pretty sure on here that people are going to complain that people are "whining" about the Thal interview and I was pointing out that at other Forums,you wouldn't be able to say anything remotely negative about a "band" member. It's cool over her that we can discuss all aspects of GNR,good and bad.

But that still means that we can point out the stupidity of posters like you or SunnyDRE.

I like how this is the ad on that page:

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/your-next-record-with-slash/?source=4XBASLASH7

I'm pretty sure on here that people are going to complain that people are "whining" about the Thal interview and I was pointing out that at other Forums,you wouldn't be able to say anything remotely negative about a "band" member. It's cool over her that we can discuss all aspects of GNR,good and bad.

How you can possibly constantly drag up bad points about this well executed, insightful, respectful interview and talk down to anyone who appreciated it is pretty damn surprising. Ron's not in the habit of lying, if he says something is the way it is, it's because it IS that way, you can shout at people like BBA until you die of oxygen starvation... you could probably take the fucker backstage and SHOW him the band dynamic of them all hanging out and having fun and he'd still probably say to them "Yeah, but you guys aren't really friends, right? it's all about the money, c'mon I can see it in your eyes!"

For fuck's sake it's not like these guys are short of work or not in demand in any way, they could make all the money they wanted outside of GNR, they're maybe not so visible in the public sphere but as session musicians in the industry, guys like Fortus have an incredible reputation, they're in it because they want to be in the band. Ron's another one, he doesn't need the money, his wife's a practicing vet for fuck's sake, and if he felt it was a bullshit or a phoney environment he would be out of there, it is not essential to his life. What has MADE it essential is the camaraderie they have, you can see it onstage, you can hear it from the conversations you hear int he monitor mixes, in the backstage stories from guys like Revolver. Ron's a musician's musician and if he does anything at all it's for the love of the music and the experience, not for the money, why do you think he'd like to see Guns become more independent? So they can make more cash and increase his fat paycheck which makes the gag order worthwhile? No, because he wants to be creative with the band. The reason that he doesn't sahre intimate details of the band's personal life is out of RESPECT for his FRIENDS. you can say "well back in the day they all talked about each other in interviews!" yeah well they all hate each other now, look where that got them.

Yet the same people choose to ignore it all time and again because it doesn't suit them, step back from it all and LISTEN or READ what is being said, there is no "between the lines" you guys are worse than goddamn 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

I'm not seeing the world through rose-tinted spectacles either, I'm just being objective... the evidence is all there.

Fucking great interview Ronald!

How you can possibly constantly drag up bad points about this well executed, insightful, respectful interview and talk down to anyone who appreciated it is pretty damn surprising. Ron's not in the habit of lying, if he says something is the way it is, it's because it IS that way, you can shout at people like BBA until you die of oxygen starvation... you could probably take the fucker backstage and SHOW him the band dynamic of them all hanging out and having fun and he'd still probably say to them "Yeah, but you guys aren't really friends, right? it's all about the money, c'mon I can see it in your eyes!"

For fuck's sake it's not like these guys are short of work or not in demand in any way, they could make all the money they wanted outside of GNR, they're maybe not so visible in the public sphere but as session musicians in the industry, guys like Fortus have an incredible reputation, they're in it because they want to be in the band. Ron's another one, he doesn't need the money, his wife's a practicing vet for fuck's sake, and if he felt it was a bullshit or a phoney environment he would be out of there, it is not essential to his life. What has MADE it essential is the camaraderie they have, you can see it onstage, you can hear it from the conversations you hear int he monitor mixes, in the backstage stories from guys like Revolver. Ron's a musician's musician and if he does anything at all it's for the love of the music and the experience, not for the money, why do you think he'd like to see Guns become more independent? So they can make more cash and increase his fat paycheck which makes the gag order worthwhile? No, because he wants to be creative with the band. The reason that he doesn't sahre intimate details of the band's personal life is out of RESPECT for his FRIENDS. you can say "well back in the day they all talked about each other in interviews!" yeah well they all hate each other now, look where that got them.

Yet the same people choose to ignore it all time and again because it doesn't suit them, step back from it all and LISTEN or READ what is being said, there is no "between the lines" you guys are worse than goddamn 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

I'm not seeing the world through rose-tinted spectacles either, I'm just being objective... the evidence is all there.

Fucking great interview Ronald!

I stand corrected. People were banging down Frank's door due to his stellar work in Pisser. Ron was rumored to be the next go-to guy for high profile artists if Slash couldn't make it. Tommy Stinson was so in-demand at the time he came into Guns that he was practically out of the music business all together. If Richard Fortus wasn't in GNR, maybe he could play for the NSYNC reunion.

In the meanwhile your idol, Slash, plays with class acts such as Jamie Foxx, Fergie, and Cypress Hill.